Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Grandma's Old-time Cures and Remedies
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Someone forwarded this to me today and, although I've heard about many of these "cures" from my own grandmother, some of them were brand-new to me and quite fascinating so I thought I'd share -- it's certainly worth a couple minutes to review....

> > GRANDMA'S CURES <<

Keep this handy on your fridge:

• Did you know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers?"

• Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

• Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of "curiously strong" Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed
nose.

• Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

• Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria, <edited by CareKate to add>: and the honey makes it palatable!

• Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost
instantly -- even though the product was never advertised for this use.

• Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

• Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

• Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

• Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.
<edited by CareKate to add:> Coca Cola trivia: did you know highway patrolman carry litres of Coke around in their cars to use to clean up vehicle accident scenes? They pour Coke on any bloodstains on the road/pavement and it dissolves the blood instantly....

• Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground
instantly.

• Smart splinter remover...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

• Hunt's tomato paste boil cure...cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

• Balm for broken blisters...To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine... a powerful antiseptic.

• Heinz vinegar to heal bruises... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

• Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog or cat's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

• Rainy day cure for smelly-dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your pet smell springtime fresh.

• Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

• Quaker Oats for fast pain relief....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your
hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

I particularly like the "cure" for dealing with bees/wasps. I am *deathly* afraid of them because I got stung on the eyelid by a red wasp when I was a kid. If you want to see me freak completely out, lock me in a confined place with a bee or a wasp... One time, a bee flew into my car when I was stopped at a red light and I got so upset trying to make it leave that I accidentally took my foot off the brake pedal and give the police patrol car in front of me a little "love tap" with my bumper!! Thank God the cop was sympathetic and understanding because his own daughter has a similar phobic-reaction to flying insects that sting.... BTW, my grandmother is always telling me "if you don't bother the bees, they won't bother you." Sorry, Mimi, I hate to tell you, but that is complete and utter bullsh*t!! Everytime I've ever been stung, I didn't even know the damn thing was anywhere near me until I felt the pain.

Okay...back on track: you can tell that the above remedies are obviously from American grannies because of the product brand names specified, but I'm sure those of you on other shores can substitute your own country's product brand equivilent.

Does anybody else have any 'old-time remedies' to add to the list?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing Carrie. Very Happy I love hearing natural remedies. Yes, they really do work. Don't have time now but will share some that were passed down to me from my Mother. Look for some real oldies. Laughing
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
my grandma's cure for everything is a mug of tea. 1/4 tea and 3/4 vodka.

Cure number 2 is bacon fat...add it to everything

:-&
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skinยฎ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |