Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

You Lip Plumpers - Don't Forget to Exfoliate Lips!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:01 am      Reply with quote
This week I have been using Benefit Lipscription which is a set of 2 small tubes (silver tubes packaging kind of looks like L'Occitane hand cream tubes). One tube contains Buffing Lip Beads which is a white cream containing AHA (Citric Acid, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Malic Acid, Lactic Acid), as well as Jojoba seed oil, Avocado oil, jojoba beads and one tube containing the Silky Lip Balm which has a vaseline type of texture but has better staying power, containing Vit. E and Chamomile extract. You just put a dab of the Buffing Beads on your lips and rub, wipe off and then apply the Silky Lip Balm. The directons say to use 2-3 times a week.

I figure I am exfoliating everything else, why not exfoliate my lips too!

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:58 am      Reply with quote
And how are you finding it? Is it better than using a normal scrub over your lips?
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy!

The buffing beads are smaller than a usual face scrub, but not smaller than my Epidermx Microdermabrasion scrub. I didn't want to use Epidermx on my lips. It's a fun product to use, but I wouldn't say it is a must-have (especially at $28.00 for (2) .5 ounce tubes). Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely you’ve got to exfoliate your lips!! Especially if you’re using topical lip plumpers otherwise you run the risk of the gloss not penetrating your lip tissue evenly....

And I'm sure it will come as know surprise to you to learn that this self-professed resident lip product queen has tried many of the lip exfoliating products out there including:

Smashbox Lip Exfoliator - grainy, minty lip scrub with sugar and poppy seeds in an oily base so it helps moisturize lips as it scuffs off dead skin...after sloughing your lips, you rinse your lips with cool water to remove the granules then pat lips dry so that the product's oils stay on your lips to help impart moisture. This one is actually 'edible' so if you happen to get it in your mouth and swallow some, it won't do you any harm...but the poppy seeds might turn up a "false positive" result if you have to take a drug test!! One of the better lip exfoliators that I've tried....

MaryKay Satin Lips Mask - thick, gritty pink cream that feels very dry on the lips when you apply it. After rubbing the stuff on your lips to loosen the dead skin, you then need to use a wet washcloth (face flannel??) to remove the product from your lips as it does not rinse easily away. Wasn't impressed with this one.

Benefit Dr. FeelGood Lipscription - of all the store-bought lip exfoliators I've tried, this one is my fave!! It must be the AHAs in it, but this lip scrub sloughed off the dead/dry skin and it made my lips feel kinda tingling (in a nice way!) so that when I applied the balm afterward, it just feels really good and kissing your man immediately afterward was a really cool sensation...the instructions say to use it 2-3 times/week, but I would use it daily just cuz I like the way it felt! The "silky lip balm" that comes in the kit is simply gorgeous, like the name implies, it makes your lips feel silky rather than slippery.

But my fave lip scrub is one I made myself: I mixed a little finely crushed, uncoated aspirin (salicyic acid) with a little white granulated sugar (glycolic acid), a bit of jojoba oil for moisture and a touch of glycerin for "slip." I mix it well and put it in a little jar, then added about 5 drops of Cinnamon Leaf oil (the active ingredient in "Lip Venom" which causes the blood to rush to the surface of your lips to impart that red, bee-stung look). I use this to exfoliate my lips once or twice daily and since I've been doing this, I've found that any lip product (i.e.: lip balm, lip liner, lipstick, lip gloss, etc) goes on much smoother and stays on longer.

As MystyPines said: never forget to exfoliate your lips -- even if it's simply by brushing them lightly with a soft-bristled toothbrush!!

HTH,
Carrie the Lip Queen Very Happy
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Wow Carekate you are the Lip Product Queen! Laughing

I didn't realize there were other lip exfoliating products. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:56 am      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
(Benefit’s Lipscription)...is a fun product to use, but I wouldn't say it is a must-have (especially at $28.00 for (2) .5 ounce tubes). Very Happy
What pisses me off about the Dr. Feelgood kit is that they don’t sell the “Silky Lip Balm” separately so if you want another tube, you have to buy the whole kit each time and you’re going to use up the lip balm long before you’d even get halfway thru the lip scuffer!!
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I use baking soda and water. It was in the instructions for the SWELL LIPS lip plumper I bought on E-bay. It certainly does get the job done and cheaply too.

Lori
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw those instructions from the Swellips lady...but when I tried to use baking soda to exfoliate my lips, it seriously made my lips burn and sting and afterwards, I couldn’t get my lips to feel moist and hydrated now matter how much/often I slathered on lip balm so I quickly went back to my regular lip scrub recipe. Afterwards, I started wondering if the reason that my lips disliked the baking soda “treatment” so much was because it was stripping the acid mantle from my lips and upsetting the PH level...? Whatever the reason, the side effects were enough to convince me to steer clear of baking soda to scuff my lips!!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I get the best lip exfoliator when my boyfriend has not had a shave Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, that’s the best...but he doesn’t fit in your purse so it’s not very portable!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Yeah, that’s the best...but he doesn’t fit in your purse so it’s not very portable!

Too funny! Laughing

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |