Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Best first product (device or supplement) for anti-aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bluesky
5% products discount

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

Longtime lurker (as in 7+ years!) and first-time poster here.

I recently turned 39 and I would like to look fabulous at 40!

I am a very fair redhead who's been pretty good about using sunscreen even in my teen years (hated those freckles!) Up until a year ago I didn't have too many concerns about aging skin, but I went through a period of stress and it was like I aged overnight. I see a common theme among other posters here, too.

Over the past year I am starting to fight all the common complaints: flattening/sagging cheeks, parentheses (smile lines) around my mouth even when I am not smiling, 11s just starting, wrinkles and fine lines under the eyes, a "crinkly" (according to my mom!), rough skin texture and more recently, adult-onset acne.

In addition to that I have lifelong rosacea and broken capillaries in cheeks and red spider veins around my nose, so my skin is usually quite red and sensitive. I have an oily t-zone and "angry" cheeks: red and scaly/flaky.

I have tried various over-the-counter drugstore anti-wrinkle lotions and potions, but nothing helped.

I am currently using Derma-E products (a soothing anti-redness face wash and Vitamin E moisturiser, microdermabrasion scrub I use twice weekly for the flakiness, with occasional DMAE cream in the wrinkles). I find the DMAE cream is the only thing that helps the fine lines and it only sort of fills them in for an hour or two. But I can't use it on my whole face as my skin gets irritated.

I also have been taking a collagen supplement drink mix daily for the past 5 months. I have not noticed any difference from this, though I had high hopes. I used bovine collagen the first month and then switched to marine collagen. I can provide links to the actual products if needed.

So that's my background. I have been reading this forum very intently and have learned an overwhelming amount of information. I don't know where to start! My question is, what single device or supplement do you think I should try first to see results? And by results I would love to see my jawline tighten (it is slightly, though visibly sagging) and my parentheses and 11s, which fortunately are still small, disappear! would love to fix under-eye wrinkles and crepey/crinkly skin while I'm at it. An improvement in any of those areas would be desirable.

Based on my reading here, I was thinking of saving for a device like:
    Tua Viso,
    TriPollar STOP,
    NuFace,
    Baby Quasar

but which? or a supplement like hyaluronic acid, or I've seen great reviews in the library on the Easy Eye Solutions toner for under-eye wrinkles and crepey skin? I would consider a topical cream last though, because of my sensitivity. Would love to hear from people who have used these things and whether you had good, bad or no results.

Nice to meet you all and thanks for taking the time to read this!
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I think there are several things many people on here default to and I would agree with most of them.
Microcurrent (Nuface or MiniClare or Pico) or/and Radio Frequency (Stop or Dot Matrix) are very helpful with sagging.
You might also want to consider face exercises.

Texture and firmness and fine lines are helped by things like dermarolling and light therapy but you should also use a Retin-A or a retinol topical.
If your skin is too sensitive you can work your way up to nightly use or follow it with a moisturizer (sometimes I have followed with Pomegranate seed oil because it has actually healed break outs for me).
Also I advise a decent Vit C serum.
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Tigerlily about looking into Retinol and Vit C. I have sensitive skin so can appreciate your difficulty in finding products to use that could give you results. Gentle and anti-aging don't always go together.

Moisturizers - I started with Nuxe Crème Prodigieuse which I loved but I can no longer buy it in the US. Sad I have found several others that work for me from PCA Collagen to higher priced Caudalie Premier Cru. Also found many that didn't.

Serums are going to be stronger. I tried the weakest Avene Retinaldehyde and had a strange reaction - almost instantaneous huge pores where my normal pores are very fine. That scared me so now I am using the new retinol product from Bioelements every other night. Too soon to tell what it will do but my skin does feel softer the next day and no reactions or huge pores. Eventually I will try the Avene again to see if the same thing happens.

Vit C - I am using the Skin Medica C+E which is creamier. I have the Drunk Elephant one too which I also like but smells like alcohol. Neither has caused a reaction. I might try the Timeless one next but MyChelle has a new Pro one that looks interesting and PSF has one that many like.

Other Antioxidant or peptide serums might be helpful. I have the Timeless CoQ10 on my list to try. I just started trying out the Skinceuticals Resveratrol B E on nights I am not using the Bioelements retinol and have hopes for this one.

Rather than a scrub, you might look at an exfoliating mask/peel. There are some gentle ones. I think MyChelle has one but many other brands - I have a June Jacobs and a Caudalie one.

I'm sure you know that once your skin gets irritated it is harder to get it back to a normal state so the goal is to keep it out of the "angry" stage. When my skin is having a bad reaction even washing my face is irritating. Only try one new thing at a time and try alternate days at first.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited to add - yes you could try Hyaluronic Acid. You might find this in other serums rather than alone. Derma E has one that has good reviews and you use other products from this company. Replenix and other brands will have HA products too.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi TigerLily and Marie,
Thanks for the great replies!

I forgot to mention I have tried both Vitamin C (in a "brightening" face wash and a moisturiser) and Retinols in the over the counter products (like Olay Regenerist line, Neutrogena etc). My skin got very angry! In fact, I checked and there's "Ester-C" in my DMAE cream which might be why I can only use it very sparingly.

However, I started taking vitamin C orally (250-500 mg/day) so hopefully that can help somewhat.

Would anything applied topically really help with the mouth lines and forehead lines/11s? I feel like I have tried so many creams and they've had no effect whatsoever other than a few minutes of sort of filling the wrinkle up until the cream gets absorbed. I have not tried a serum yet.

What has been your experiences with topical applications (serum/cream?) Did it really erase wrinkles or improve the crepey appearance of the skin over the long term?

Today I purchased hyaluronic acid supplements (100mg capsules). Maybe it will help my achy knee joint as well Smile The lady at the health store advised that the supplement would have more lasting effects and would treat the entire body over using an HA serum. I'll report back if anything wonderful happens!

I researched face exercises on this forum, but I found it involves a lot of "pinch and pull." Due to my tendency to have broken capillaries (like crazy) and the sensitive skin, plus the fact that people have mentioned going through an "ugly phase" that I am certain would discourage me, I don't think the exercises are for me.

So between microcurrent and radio frequency devices, which one is recommended for a saggy jawline/under the chin area? This is perhaps my biggest concern at the moment. I would like to tackle this problem before it gets much worse and becomes very difficult to address. Obviously the marketing for the devices is going to promote each very highly, so I'm interested in people's real experiences and results.

Appreciate all the input and advice!
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Bluesky, I think everyone would tell you that there's not one fix that addresses every concern.
If you're worried about skin manipulation in face exercises then you might try Tom's here http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise-one/.
It's a pretty basic program and it is important to get a early grip on the sagging under the neck. You should do the total program, though, as they all work together.
You might also want to try something (face massage) like this;
https://completehomespa.com/gua-sha-for-face-and-neck/

As far as Microcurrent versus Radio Frequency...Microcurrent addresses sagging muscle while Radio frequency addresses the skin. But with your skin sensitivities you might want to start with microcurrent. And don't use the gels that come with them. They can be irritating..Use aloe vera gel.

And, yes...Retin-A and C serum do actually help with fine lines and texture and promoting skin repair and are considered the gold standard in anti aging. Vit C works better for the skin topically more then internally..
But if you're too sensitive you might want to consider some anti aging oils like Rosehip oil or Pomegranate seed oil. They're both rich in vit A&C and other anti aging benefits and even work well if you don't have dry skin or are prone to break outs.
Serums with peptides are also a good option that shouldn't irritate.
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:44 am      Reply with quote
I agree that you need to experiment to find what works for you. There are other serums besides Vit C or Retinol that might help. You might have better luck with something like Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair - not positive of exact name. The oils that were suggested are also a great idea to try. There are tons of products to sort through. I'm sure you will find some options to help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:10 am      Reply with quote
I think a great sunscreen, vit c, vit A AND facial exercises for firmness and perhaps a device like NuFace are the only things that work. The rest is a happy life and healthy living.

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
amber_flower
5% products discount

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely recommend Retin-A Tretinoin cream for aging skin, firstly recommend to use low-tretinoin consistency 0.025% and after go deeper with 0.05% and 0.1% creams and gels.
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
You could look at Replenix products with green tea and resveratrol.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, you guys have convinced me! I originally wasn't considering anything topical (creams, serums) to help with anti-aging because I wasn't convinced they really work, at least not in my experience, on wrinkles and crepey texture.

So, I decided to go to my local health store and take another look. I found this, which has vitamins C and E and retinol. (Argh, apparently I can't post links! It's called LaVigne Vitamin C serum.) Maybe I will try it! As an added bonus, it's supposed to help with acne.

I wonder if any of you have had results with crepey/crinkly texture under the eyes when using a serum? And I'm REALLY concerned about the parentheses (for lack of a better word) beside my mouth. They're getting more pronounced.

I've been using hyaluronic acid supplements, and had a strange side effect - my top lip became dry and chapped (within about 12 hours of taking the first dose). Only my top lip! I am hoping it will help with my skin's flakiness, and perhaps with fine lines and a newly-creaky knee. Time will tell. Nothing so far. I usually try to go through one full bottle of supplements before deciding if it's working or not.

I also looked into facial exercises. I've read mixed reviews on here. I tried some of the Shape Your Face ones but I can't tell if I'm doing them correctly, and apparently I would have to wait several months to see any results. (I work in IT, and I'm used to getting an instant error message if I'm doing it wrong, and a solid result if I'm doing it right, so all this waiting for results is probably getting to me). I like the idea of being more natural though. I have been doing my research! I read that people seem to like it, but some people have difficulty with hollowing under the cheekbones and some have had dimples appear, both of which would be undesirable for me. Unfortunately I couldn't find many before and after pictures and although people said they had results, I'm not sure how long it took or what exactly the results are (except for the one person who posted about getting rid of her hooded eyes, with photos!)

I researched the NuFace on here and found that many people didn't like it. They either returned the device or wish they had. So I guess that one's off the list.

Read some good things about Tua Viso but then one person posted a study about how too much electrical stimulation can harm cell rebuilding in the long term (and possibly result in worse sagging). Same with the STOP - apparently a small percentage of people can experience dissolution of the fat under the skin and therefore a thinning look of the skin.

So now I'm even more confused than before! I guess I need to gather more information before shelling out for a device.

I'm going to read up on the different face exercises to see if one might be a good fit.

I just want to thank everyone who is helping me wade through this plethora of overwhelming information! (and for reading this novel - sorry!) I wasn't sure where to start, but I'm seeing the consensus is to start with an anti-aging serum and face exercises. Let me know what you guys think of the serum.
missbabypaw
5% products discount

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Bluesky!

I was so drawn to your post! Sounds like with where you are right now with your skin, you're perfectly positioned to start ramping up your anti-aging skin routine a bit to start seeing some nice benefits.

This is gonna be a bit of a long post, so please stick with me!

First, we want to make sure we are addressing your rosacea. This is key as we want your skin to be as balanced as possible so that you can really start enjoying those extra anti-aging benefits.

So let's start with what you're using right now. Being that you have rosacea with capillary damage, I would really advise you stop using the microderm scrub. Any manual exfoliant (one with grains, microbeads, or any physical particles that perform that "scrubbing" action) are likely to exacerbate redness, capillary damage, and sensitivity. Instead, I would highly advise using an enzyme gel or cream exfoliant.

Next, I suggest *not* washing your face in the morning. Only wash your face really well at night with a gentle cleanser (the one you are currently using should be fine). Reason why: all skins need to preserve the skin's natural acid mantle (basically the "barrier" for your skin which protects it) and over-cleansing can effectively "strip" this away. Sensitive skins will become even more sensitized as a result. Your skin may even produce more oil as a way of compensating.

Now let's talk anti-aging! Exfoliation is so important and we've already discussed switching out the exfoliant you are using now for an enzyme-based one. Exfoliate at night (for your skin maybe 2x a week?) so that whatever anti-aging products you are putting on at night are really able to absorb into the skin.

Your Vitamin E moisturizer is great because it giving you a boost of antioxidants! Woo! Since you are thinking about a hyaluronic acid supplement, might I suggest a *serum* with hyaluronic acid instead (or in addition to, if you decide to go the supplement route).

Also, if your skin can tolerate it, add a retinoid. You might want to start with a low percentage like 0.25% and work your way up. If you do start using a retinoid, you might have to stop using your regular exfoliant (the enzyme one) or use it only 1x a week for a short time while your skin adjusts. Also, use your retinoid product at night and make sure you are using a good sunscreen during the day.

Now... on to microcurrent. Depending on the strength, you may see immediate results. You may see even better results over time if you keep up with it. However, a lot of the devices designed for use at home are not that strong, and so therefore, not everyone is going to see the same benefits. So I suggest going to a spa or derm to get a microcurrent treatment and then, if you want, use a device (like NuFace or other) for maintaining those results at home. It's important to find a balance between how much is too much and how little is too little, so seeing a professional should help you figure out the right microcurrent regime for you.

Finally, protein! A lot of people with sagging skin and cheek hollows are simply not getting enough protein in their diet. While a well-balanced diet is, of course, important for everyone, it is not always realistic or economical. So, supplementing your protein intake with protein shakes (I like whey protein the best but everyone has their own preference) might also be worth looking into.

I realize this is a lot of info, and maybe not all the info you were hoping for, but I hope it helps. In this end, your regime should look something like this:

AM:
1.) Rinse face well with lukewarm water (do not use cleanser)
2.) Apply serum (one with hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, peptides, or a mix would work well here)
3.) Apply your DMAE cream to areas where you already see it working
4.) Apply your Vit E cream
5.) Apply sunscreen

PM:
1.) Cleanse well with your cleanser (cleanse for at least 1 minute)
2.) 2x a week apply enzyme exfoliant. Some formulations you can leave on overnight. Others you will rinse off. If leaving on overnight, skip the following steps!
3.) If not using a retinoid (see below) or an overnight exfoliant, follow steps 2, 3, an 4 from your daytime regime.

If you start using a retinoid:
To start, use your retinoid every other night (after cleansing). You can apply your Vit E cream over this. After about 2 weeks you can start using the retinoid every night if you prefer. You may see some flaking and skin-sloughing when you start using a retinoid, which is normal. Because you have rosacea, however, if your skin becomes highly irritated or inflamed, either use it less frequently or stop using it altogether.

You can also use a retinoid during the day if you're getting good results and want to enhance the benefits, but I would advise against using it for daytime during the summer. And always, always make sure you are following up with a good sunscreen.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |