Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Sunscreen SPF 50?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
PollyM
5% products discount

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking for an SPF 50 that is not tinted and goes under makeup easily. And actually protects me from the sun! I have a problem with the sun, I have a problem with vitamin D (deficient, supplements don't work as they should), I can burn in three minutes.

I've found Cosmedix Peptide-Rich Defense Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen. At $58 for 1.7oz, that's a lot for something from a brand that I don't know.

I've used Dior and Shiseido, they're both good but expensive.

Does anyone have any other options or anything they can tell me about Cosmedix?

Thank you!
sarahleone
5% products discount

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Bare Minerals has an SPF 50 that goes well under makeup. It's an all mineral sunscreen that doesn't irritate my skin and doesn't leave a white cast. It's great.
PollyM
5% products discount

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! I will check that out.

I'm wondering if the numbers mean anything at all. I looked at Environ's ss and it's 15. They must know something!?
sarahleone
5% products discount

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Polly, I would recommend watching Dr Dray's Youtube channel. She is a dermatologist in Huston and has tons of videos on sunscreen. She is a goldmine of information.
PollyM
5% products discount

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for thinking of me but I'm afraid "Dr Dray" just isn't for me. I don't have much respect for professionals who are YouTubing to make some extra money from Amazon links (when I saw her list of links, I lost interest in her). And I'm really not happy watching YouTube videos, I just don't like them. I know, I'm hopelessly behind the times, but I'm old and I probably won't change now.

I've been using Inatur SPF 30 and it's working fine. (I use an SPF 50 if I'm going to be outside longer, I live in the mountains of CO, the UV is more dangerous up here.) I don't know why I feel that I should have a "better" sunscreen, I'm afraid I'm just addicted to skin creams and want the best of everything!
jess2101
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi polly Very Happy

did you test the sun protection Obagi SPF 50 ?, very light and without white residues,
PollyM
5% products discount

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! I've heard great things about Obagi but I've never tried any of their products! I'll look at that.

One thing that has me puzzled is the list of things you shouldn't have in a sunscreen. I stupidly didn't record where I got this, but here it is:
oxybenzone
avobenzone
octisalate
octocrylene
homosalate
octinoxate
Every sunscreen I have, and every one I look at, has some of these ingredients. Obagi has Octinoxate. I can't find the site I copied this list from, but when I searched for "sunscreen ingredients to avoid" the same list came up on many sites.

I wonder how harmful this stuff is? Is it "using it on your face is harmful" or is it "bathing in it daily might be harmful"?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
Thanks for thinking of me but I'm afraid "Dr Dray" just isn't for me. I don't have much respect for professionals who are YouTubing to make some extra money from Amazon links (when I saw her list of links, I lost interest in her). And I'm really not happy watching YouTube videos, I just don't like them. I know, I'm hopelessly behind the times, but I'm old and I probably won't change now.

I've been using Inatur SPF 30 and it's working fine. (I use an SPF 50 if I'm going to be outside longer, I live in the mountains of CO, the UV is more dangerous up here.) I don't know why I feel that I should have a "better" sunscreen, I'm afraid I'm just addicted to skin creams and want the best of everything!

I feel the same way about sponsored vloggers. I think they cannot be biased when they are receiving products for free and or have affiliate links.

5% products discount

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
I feel the same way about sponsored vloggers.

Or the recommendations you get from Rachel Zoe or Allure! They dress them up like they actually tried the stuff and loved it, but it's all really paid advertising. Have you noticed how many things from Amazon are being pushed really heavily? And how many "celebrities" (who don't act, sing, or do anything) swear that they can't live without some $8 product from Amazon?

To me, all that is more reason to ask here, where real people will answer!
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Try the Japanese sunscreens as they are mostly cosmetically elegant and offer higher protection (especially against UVA) because they use better chemicals not allowed in the US. Anessa is a good reliable brand and makes many different formulations based on your environment, whether you will be in incidental of full sun, sweating, sports, etc.
Look for a P++++ rating.

Re Dr. Dray, she is knowledgeable about skin and generous to share her knowledge but she is a newbie to good sunscreen so I would not rely on her for European or Japanese products.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
PollyM
5% products discount

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
they use better chemicals not allowed in the US

Products that use chemicals that are not allowed in the US cannot be sold in the US. Deciem's NIOD has several sunscreens that they cannot sell in the US because the ingredients are not allowed here.

I started watching a Dr Dray video about why she wouldn't use a vitamin C product. After seven minutes (approximately), she still hadn't said anything pertinent to the title of the video. She looked like she was sitting on her bed in her robe and she looked a bit anorexic. With that first impression, I wasn't inclined to accept her as an expert. Confused
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
denisiel wrote:
they use better chemicals not allowed in the US

Products that use chemicals that are not allowed in the US cannot be sold in the US.

I order Anessa sunscreens on Amazon - look for Japanese sellers.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
PollyM
5% products discount

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Anessa is part of Shiseido and they've been making products for the American market for a very long time. What makes you think that the Anessa you buy from a Japanese seller on Amazon contains ingredients that are not allowed in American products? Can you read the ingredients and tell me what it is that is not allowed? I'm confused...
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
Anessa is part of Shiseido and they've been making products for the American market for a very long time. What makes you think that the Anessa you buy from a Japanese seller on Amazon contains ingredients that are not allowed in American products? Can you read the ingredients and tell me what it is that is not allowed? I'm confused...

Look atwww.ratzillacosme.com for listing of ingredients as she translates Japanese to English. Check out her sunscreen list.

For example, Wet Force USA version is different than Wet Force Japanese version. Ratzilla is a great resource.

PollyM
5% products discount

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Look atwww.ratzillacosme.com for listing of ingredients as she translates Japanese to English. Check out her sunscreen list.

For example, Wet Force USA version is different than Wet Force Japanese version. Ratzilla is a great resource.

Thank you! That looks like a wonderful site! I didn't know there was any way to tell if you were getting the Japanese version or American, except the packaging of course. But since I couldn't read the ingredients, I couldn't know if they were different! I've bought Japanese products on Amazon since I realized many products came in two versions. For example, the cosmetic cotton from Japan is better and cheaper than what you find here! Shiseido packages cotton for the US market and for Japan, I buy the Japanese from Amazon.

I have read the article about double cleansing (to see if I'm doing it right, I am!) already and I think I'll read a lot more on Ratzilla! I'll start with the sunscreen, I have a Shiseido sunscreen that I really like but if I can get that in a better form and maybe cheaper, that would be great. Thank you!

And Happy Thanksgiving to all!
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
For US products, I also recommend Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 and EltaMD Clear 46. I can layer the Drunk ELephant over the EltaMD and get both chemical and physical sunscreen protection yet still be able to wear foundation without it balling up or being too thick. The tint in the DE is undetectable on my NC20-25 skin.

For outdoors or in the water, Anessa Aqua Booster is the best and I've tried pretty much every sunscreen line whether US, European or Asian. The AB has SD alcohol so I don't use it every day. Anessa now has a mild non alcohol version that I haven't tried yet but will do so soon.

A good reviewer of sunscreens is Gothamista - check out her YouTube channel.

PollyM
5% products discount

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Could you tell me what NC20-25 means? I've heard of the Fitzgerald skin types (although I don't remember which is which!) but not NC. I'm very fair, sunburn much too easily. I wanted the NIOD sunscreen that isn't available here.

Drunk Elephant and Elta are both supposed to be good but I think they're overpriced. I'm trying to cut down my spending, Amazon sounds good. (But dermstore carries both DE and Elta and has 30% off... what to do? Confused )

EDIT: What about Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+/PA++++ - on Amazon, made in Japan?
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
Could you tell me what NC20-25 means? I've heard of the Fitzgerald skin types (although I don't remember which is which!) but not NC.

Oops, NC is a rating in the MAC Cosmetics system that is sort of universal when comparing skin undertone and shade. It's useful to know your MAC number just to be able to compare what other people use for colored products. NC20-25 is light medium with yellow undertones.

I would always go for the Japanese sunscreens over US versions unless you want to buy US products then the two I mentioned above are pretty good. Ratzilla lists some sunscreens that are reasonably priced. Just know how you will be using them (are you mostly indoors, outside, in a humid/dry environment, sweating, etc.) and then read her descriptions of usage.

I am often in a humid tropical environment walking around outdoors so the Silver label Aqua Booster is great for that. If I'm indoors or just have incidental sun exposure I'll use a less strong (ie. no SD alcohol) sunscreen. Because I have melasma, I always use a product with zinc oxide as the top layer.

PollyM
5% products discount

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Oops, NC is a rating in the MAC Cosmetics system that is sort of universal when comparing skin undertone and shade. It's useful to know your MAC number just to be able to compare what other people use for colored products. NC20-25 is light medium with yellow undertones.

I see! I wear Chanel #12. That's fair with cool (pink) undertones. I'll have to figure out my MAC number, I've never been attracted to their products for some reason.

denisiel wrote:
I would always go for the Japanese sunscreens over US versions unless you want to buy US products then the two I mentioned above are pretty good. Ratzilla lists some sunscreens that are reasonably priced. Just know how you will be using them (are you mostly indoors, outside, in a humid/dry environment, sweating, etc.) and then read her descriptions of usage.

You replied too quickly (I was too slow.) I wanted to ask what you thought of Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+/PA++++ - on Amazon, made in Japan. I haven't found Biore on Ratzilla.

denisiel wrote:
I am often in a humid tropical environment walking around outdoors so the Silver label Aqua Booster is great for that. If I'm indoors or just have incidental sun exposure I'll use a less strong (ie. no SD alcohol) sunscreen. Because I have melasma, I always use a product with zinc oxide as the top layer.

I am in a dry, cold environment, I stay indoors a lot. I am also very high (8750 feet, I think), and the UV is worse up here. We have the UV index reported every day with the weather, I'd never heard of it until I came here! Since I burn so easily (three minutes with no sunscreen), I put sunscreen on every morning, that's when I'm most likely to go out. And I have PTR's powder sunscreen, in case I need some quick. It's a little too dark for me but better that than a sunburn!
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 am      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
I wanted to ask what you thought of Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+/PA++++ - on Amazon, made in Japan. I haven't found Biore on Ratzilla.

http://www.ratzillacosme.com/sun/biore-uv-aqua-rich-watery-essence-2017/

PollyM wrote:
I am in a dry, cold environment, I stay indoors a lot. I am also very high (8750 feet, I think), and the UV is worse up here. We have the UV index reported every day with the weather, I'd never heard of it until I came here! Since I burn so easily (three minutes with no sunscreen), I put sunscreen on every morning, that's when I'm most likely to go out. And I have PTR's powder sunscreen, in case I need some quick. It's a little too dark for me but better that than a sunburn!

Not sure if the high alcohol content will affect you if you live in a dry area. Maybe if you moisturize well, it could work.

I use a Japanese sunscreen spray as a topper throughout the day but don't know if it can be purchased in the US. It is specific as an over makeup setting spray.

PollyM
5% products discount

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Not sure if the high alcohol content will affect you if you live in a dry area.

No, I missed that. It would definitely not be good!

denisiel wrote:
I use a Japanese sunscreen spray as a topper throughout the day but don't know if it can be purchased in the US. It is specific as an over makeup setting spray.

That sounds like a useful product! What is it, please?

Could you explain what is not allowed in the US and why? I have read little bits here and there but never a good, concise explanation! Are these Japanese products on Amazon just escaping notice? I know many things are on Amazon that should not be, are these things in that group? (So they could be disallowed at any time?)

For several years I used DHC products. Yesterday I found Ratzilla's review of their olive oil cleanser, it was right on point! I enjoyed it, she has a refreshing honesty and clarity in her writing. (I also found her opinion of Paula's Choice, again I was in agreement and enjoyed her remarks! Oh, and The Ordinary!! ) Smile
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
That sounds like a useful product! What is it, please?

http://www.ratzillacosme.com/sun/shigaisen-yohou-make-keep-capsule-in-uv-spray/

PollyM wrote:
Could you explain what is not allowed in the US and why? I have read little bits here and there but never a good, concise explanation! Are these Japanese products on Amazon just escaping notice? I know many things are on Amazon that should not be, are these things in that group? (So they could be disallowed at any time?)

The US FDA has only approved of limited ingredients and are probably 20 years behind. For more info:

https://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i20/Decade-FDA-Still-Wont-Allow.html

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/does-europe-have-better-sunscreens/#.WhiD0kqnHD4

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283515177_An_overview_of_sunscreen_regulations_in_the_world

I don't think it's illegal for these items to be sold by Japanese sellers as the products are not being stocked on US shelves.

PollyM
5% products discount

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
The links about the FDA are very interesting reading, thank you for getting all that. I notice one author seemed to support banning the European chemicals because they have a lot of information about the sun protection they provide but have not been studied for safety. Of course, getting anything approved by the FDA is nearly impossible. I guess the real issue is the classification of sunscreens as drugs instead of cosmetics, it does seem rather arbitrary to say that this cream I put on my skin is a drug but that one is not.

I'm using an Indian sunscreen, Inatur Sunshield SPF 30. I tried to find it online but I couldn't and I can't see the ingredients well enough to copy them (poor vision). But it seems to work for me.

You're probably right about the Japanese products not being illegally on Amazon but Amazon can (and does) suspend sellers with no explanation. It would be better if the products could be sold in stores.

Your spray does not seem to be available anywhere for people in the US. It seems that many people have searched for it!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Polly,

Are you looking for physical only sunscreen; or are you okay with some chemicals?

I did buy the Biore from a Japanese seller a while back. Unfortunately I could not wear it.

I am in Canada and like the La Roche Posay line. I am also trying Avene Ultra Light (mineral).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Rather than looking at just spf, I would be looking at the PPD rating (Common in Europe). Also be sure your sunscreen is photostable and has good UVA protection.

A link to a blog (not affiliated) that has some information on sunscreen and talks about PPD. Photostable list of sunscreens are listed.

http://www.skinacea.com/products/sunscreens.html#.WhngMYhrxPY

Other interesting links on her blog ie retinol, DIY, etc.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |