Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

W/O other variables:Does 1 form of Retin A antiage the best?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Cryptic

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hello EDS!

I do understand Tretinoin is the best retinoid for anti aging. Tazorac, Differin, Retinol etc all being less efficent and weaker.

I have been having a lot of trouble finding a straight forward answer on the efficency of anti aging of the different forms of Tretinoin.

What I really want to know is if one vehicle antiages (thickens skin, produces collagen, preserves elastin etc) the best in the long run when compared to other versions of the same strength.

The only answers I really get are things along the lines of:
"using a higher dose gets rid of breakouts better"
"Use the gel if you have oily skin"
"Use the original cream or renova if you have dry skin"
"Use microsphere if you have sensitive skin"
"Use which one you'll be most compliant to treatment with"

Which doesn't answer the question.
I ask because I am using it soley to prevent skin aging since I dont get acne breakouts. I have tried the original Tretinoin cream in different strengths and have also used the Microsphere gel and tolerated them all fine and was compliant with all of them.

I heard hearsay on realself that the microsphere is better because it releases the tretinoin gradually not all at once. I've also read on realself that people should try to use the cream because the quick relase is better for antiaging. Leaving me confused. Im leaning towards only using microsphere from now on because light doesn't degrade it easily; but I really want to know is assuming all other variables were the same (strength, frequency of application, amount of product used at application, and patient compliance) would any specific one do the best job of antiaging
PollyM
5% products discount

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cryptic,

A little further confusion - the Granactive Retinoids! I've seen them in 2% and 5%, which obviously cannot be compared to the percentages in other forms of retinoids. The attractive thing about them is that they are not irritating! I've been using the 2% and have never felt the tiniest stinging. It's too soon to tell if it works (skin is so slow, isn't it?).

I don't think we can be so sure that Tretinoin is the best. The Environ Step Up System seems very sensible and has years of data to prove that it works - and you get a lot more than a retinoid in it.

Of course, none of that comes anywhere near answering your question. I think you should ask a dermatologist (and then tell the rest of us the answer!) Very Happy
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Of course you should refer to a Dr...but I believe that retin-a micro (Tretinoin) 0.1 is probably the most anti aging...but that is if, and only if, ones skin can adapt to and tolerate it without continued irritation and side effects.
The 0.1 is the strongest and the micro-sphere does apparently penetrate deeper. So that's a double score.. But all that's a moot point if someone remains irritated by it and can't tolerate the strength.
Continued irritation is aging...so the best anti-ager would be the one that someone adapts to in a reasonable amount of time and can consistently tolerate over time.
Cryptic

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
PollyM wrote:
Hi Cryptic,

A little further confusion - the Granactive Retinoids! I've seen them in 2% and 5%, which obviously cannot be compared to the percentages in other forms of retinoids. The attractive thing about them is that they are not irritating! I've been using the 2% and have never felt the tiniest stinging. It's too soon to tell if it works (skin is so slow, isn't it?).

I don't think we can be so sure that Tretinoin is the best. The Environ Step Up System seems very sensible and has years of data to prove that it works - and you get a lot more than a retinoid in it.

Of course, none of that comes anywhere near answering your question. I think you should ask a dermatologist (and then tell the rest of us the answer!) Very Happy

Irritation is not an issue for me.

There's no way to control how much over the counter retinoids convert into retinoic acid-Its highly relative and find then unreliable as a long term antiaging option :/. Theres very little long term (over many years) studies linking them to dermal growth and antiaging like retin a. They're very new and only based on the hope they'll angiage as well as retin-a. I use otc retinoid in the AM some days a week under sunscren for extra umph but with the little studies we have on them they arent for me as a long term product. Sad
PollyM
5% products discount

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
A little look at PubMed shows an article (2009) "Beyond tretinoin: cosmeceuticals for aging skin." I can only see the abstract but the last line is interesting, in writing about OTC compounds "Clinical data exist for many of these compounds, and is divided by mechanism of action." That would be interesting to read.

You seem to be saying that the OTC products have no clinical data to support them and no recorded history, unless I misunderstand you. I don't think the published material supports you. Have you checked PubMed? There's too much for me to read (I'm vision impaired).

Here's some interesting Before and Afters:
https://dermaconcepts.com/pages/before-and-afters-by-range
As far as I can find in a quick search, Dr Fernandes has published about CIT, not about his work with vitamin A. But the pictures are with his vitamin A products.

The only "very new" retinoids are the Granactives, they've been used since at least 2015, probably earlier (I just remember seeing that date somewhere, I didn't look it up). The most common, retinyl palmitate, has been used for at least 20 years and studied quiet a bit. PubMed has lots of articles listed.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |