Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oily, but dry skin...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
snooops
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Since I recently started using the Jane Iredale Foundation (pressed base), my skin has become much drier (especially the cheeks). I have combo skin, with a very oily t-zone and my cheeks are at the moment normal/dry (usually normal/oily). It's also breakout prone. I'm currently using Dermalogica Active Moist (which my skin loves).

My question is: Should I use a richer moisturizer, or should I go for a hydrating booster or something like that? Any suggestions?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:00 am      Reply with quote
I have a question as well does Jane Iredale pressed minerals go on well over Dr H Normalising Day Oil?
LizzieW
5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Snoops,

I would love to hear a suggestion as well. I am having the exact same problem. I was trying to use Yonka creme 15 under my makeup and it got really dry and kind of bumpy. Now I am using my sample of the Yonka fruitelia and will see how that works.
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys-

I would also love to hear an answer to this, but here is what I think.
My skin is also oily, but if I don't moisturise it it goes dry.
I think that because your skin was originally oily you should use a moisturiser under the Jane Iredale that is designed for oily/combi skin? If you start using a product for dry skin you may become oilier that you were originally. not sure if this is a good idea but there are heaps of light ones that would look good under makeup.
I also want to know about oils under mineral makeup- does anyone use a mineral makeup with a decleor oil or with Dr.H normalizing day oil?
CharlieBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I would try a booster first. That way you can still use it with your current moisturizer. You can try something like skinceuticals B5 gel which will help your skin hold more moisture without adding excess oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
snooops wrote:
Since I recently started using the Jane Iredale Foundation (pressed base), my skin has become much drier (especially the cheeks). I have combo skin, with a very oily t-zone and my cheeks are at the moment normal/dry (usually normal/oily). It's also breakout prone. I'm currently using Dermalogica Active Moist (which my skin loves).

My question is: Should I use a richer moisturizer, or should I go for a hydrating booster or something like that? Any suggestions?

Hmmmm...it sounds like the JI pressed base is the problem...I would hesitate to put anything more traditionally rich on your skin if your normal tendency is toward oily...maybe you could remove the JI from your routine, see what happens and take it from there...if, after cutting it out, your skin still behaves as you've described then rethink your treatment, - if your skin normalizes, well then you'll know that the JI was the culprit.
Good luck!
Pudoodles
mailnat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I would change the JI rather than the moisturiser as that worked well before hand,It seems a pity to lose a product thats worked well for you. Why not try a different range of mineral makeup? Maybe the JI just doesnt agree with your skin type.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
To me it sounds like your skin is dehyrated.

Do you drink a lot of water???

I too would suggest the skinceuticals B5 gel. It helps moisture bind to your skin, yet it's light and many oily people use it as their only moisture source. I love the stuff!!

The other option I can think of is spritz with D20 throughout the day...
Happy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Snoops,

I know its expensive but maybe you should try changing your foundation, Bare Escentuals is a mineral based product and is probably better for your sink. Plus maybe you should try inserting an oil into your routine, it may be best to try the Decleor Neroli oil?

Take care.

Happy.
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Just had a thought snoops, you could use a moisturising mask two or three times a week and see if that helps. I have oily skin and have been using a moisture mask to help the dry bits, and so far so good.

maddy
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Try spritzing JI D20...or Burt's bees carrot seed mist on top of the make-up.

(I like Jurlique's Herbal recovery gel before putting on foundation, it hydrades without being oily or greasy...)

I've ordered JI liquid foundation aswell...I have heard that it hydrated and prevents wrinkles...but can not testify to that yet... Wink
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
In my experience, if you apply mineral makeup over oil, the makeup grabs unevenly and becomes patchy. The colour also goes darker.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bad Bird I had a feeling it may go patchy and I can't live without my Dr H day oil

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud - you can apply something over the day oil to prime your face first before the mineral makeup. A normal (preferably absorbant) face powder that will not change colour with oil will do. Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 5:12 am      Reply with quote
maddy wrote:
I also want to know about oils under mineral makeup- does anyone use a mineral makeup with a decleor oil or with Dr.H normalizing day oil?
FYI - I use Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang Oil (probably has similar properties/purposes of the Dr. H NDO) and Jane Iredale pressed powder foundation (and before that, I was using BE loose mineral foundation) with absolutely no problems. The trick is the wait an adequate amount of time for the oil to penetrate/absorb into your skin before you start applying your makeup. Also, I use a tissue or paper towel (oil control blotting sheets would work, too) to sorta blot over my face, just in case there’s any excess YY oil that didn’t get absorbed because I applied it too generously, before I begin applying my makeup. I think so long as you wait at least 15 minutes (although I think 30 minutes would be even better!), you shouldn’t have any problems at all using an “oil” under your mineral makeup.

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Oh yeah, one more thing...have you thought of using the Jane Iredale spritz (either D20 or Balance) as a moisturizer? It worked really well for my oily skin, until I discovered some Yonka products that I liked better. The JI spritz added enough hydration to my skin, but without the greasy after-feel that I so loathe. Just thought I’d throw that out there....BTW, I have a bottle of JI Balance spritz that is 2/3 full. If anyone wants it, all I ask is that you pay for the cost of shipping. PM me if you’re interested.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey snoops, well I'm not familiar with JI makeup but I can definately recommend Derm's hydrating booster to go under ur active moist (or even by itself) if you feel you need more hydration. I have an oily t zone as well but I find the booster just disappears on my skin, making it soft but no greasy. All you need is a drop or two mixed with your normal moisturiser (I use it with skin smoothing or active moist). It doesnt cause my skin to break out either (I have a tendancy to do that around my chin). Good luck!! Let me know how you go cause I'm interested in trying some JI or BareEscentuals make up but I was worried they would make my skin feel dry. Very Happy
tynkerbell
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2005 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried dermalogica's hydration mask? it instantly hydrates my stressed skin and calms it too.
snooops
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2005 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to let you know that my skin is back to normal. I've been using Dermalogica hydrating mask twice a week, and I really like it. I've also tried the hydrating booster, but my forehead got congested and I noticed a few spots and bumps on my cheeks, so I had to stop using it. Maybe I'll try the Skinceuticals B5 gel later.

I have to say I really like my JI fountation. It's so easy to apply (and I'm really hopeless when it comes to makeup). I think I'll have to try JI absence though, my forehead and nose get a bit shiny in the afternoon. I use JI D20 spritz to set the makeup, and it sinks right in. Don't like the smell though (kinda like an old lady smell). I would absolutely recommend JI over BE, especially if you like more of a matte look. I find BE way to shiny...
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |