Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Avocado oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Resurrecting an old thread. Laughing

Was puttering around here looking for tips, hints, clues. When what did I come upon? Avacado Oil. Hmmm, lotsa good reviews, all the stuff I'm looking for? Could be for me!!

Off to my basement!! Little bit o Shea butter, little bit of (ack..)green avacado oil, well now it's a soft green....aha!! Spearmint flavored oil!! Pull out the saved PSF sample pot (I save em all, wash em out and use for all my lips balms, perfect size!!) Tadaa!!! A very nice minty lip balm!! Yippee!!

Tell ya'll about my honey/brown sugar scrub later, lol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865,

I just found this thread recently too. I did have avocado oil and I have been using it at night. I am impressed! I haven't gotten the lip balm down yet. I made a batch with shea butter and oil. It looks shiny on, but I don't care for the smell. I need to get some EO to add. I want to get some of the cinnamon leaf next time I hit Tuscon. I was wondering why your oil is green though? Mine isn't.

Thanks! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
I love avocado oil....it's my favorite out of all the oils I use: almond, jojoba, olive oil, grapeseed, castor. I've never attempted the lip balm.

Green avocado oil? Mine is a pale yellow....thinner than castor oil, but heavier than grapeseed.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
Thanks Sharky for the info !! Laughing

I found this, guess it's the next thing I will be ordering, UNREFINED avocado oil. Can't imagine how much better will it work, can't wait Wink

Avocado Oil Persea americana Is very rich and works well to nourish and moisturize dry or mature skin. It contains many nutrients including vitamins A, D and E. As it is a somewhat heavy oil, you may wish to use it mixed 10-20% in a lighter carrier oil especially if it is to be used in a massage oil. Refined Avocado oil is yellow to yellowish-green in color and is lighter than unrefined Avocado oil. Unrefined Avocado contains more of the Avocado fruit, is dark green in color and heavier. As it contains more of the fruit, its beneficial properties are greater than the refined oil. Both have a shelf life of up to one year, longer if it is kept under refrigeration.

D

So - apparently my green oil has more of the fruit in it. Gotta tell ya, looks kinda gross (blech...)

I'm gonna try to tweak the balm this weekend. I took my little PSF pot of balm with me to work, actually held up pretty well in my vest all night, but couldn't seem to smooth out the little crumbs from the Shea butter, so gonna work on that a bit. The spearmint worked out perfect too. I'm just so darned proud of myself! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
...Pull out the saved PSF sample pot (I save em all, wash em out and use for all my lips balms, perfect size!!)
Yeah, I loved Darren's sample pots so much that I made him tell me where he got them from so I could order a bunch of them for myself! Turns out that they're available on Ebay, and the batch I got are purple Very Happy so if you receive any samples from me and wonder about the little container, now you know where they came from!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Just got Shea butter from TPF I have cinnamon bark oil and peppermint. I'll try some lip blam sounds wonderful. Put the recipe on DIY.

My avocado oil is green (it says unrefined I think you can get many versions. My health food store went out of business and I'm at the end of the bottle I use it on my lips and in salads).
therisa
5% products discount

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have been getting wonderful tips from this forum for months now but this is my first time adding my 2 cents. Here is some info on avocado oil that I found at essential wholesale.com
Persea americana) Avocado oil is made from the pulp of the avocado fruit. It is a rich, heavy but penetrating oil that is full of nutritive and therapeutic components. Avocado oil contains more than 20 % essential unsaturated fatty acids. It contains vitamins A, C, D and E, proteins, beta-carotene, lecithin, fatty acids and the "youth mineral" potassium. Avocado oil is high in unsaponifiables (sterolins) which are reputed to be beneficial in reducing age spots, healing scars and moisturizing the upper layers of the skin. Unsaponifiables are a large group of compounds called plant steroids or sterolins. They soften the skin, have superior moisturizing effect on the upper layer of the skin and reduce scars. The sterolins in avocado oil have been found to diminish age spots. Oils with the highest unsaponifiables are shea butter, avocado oil, sesame oil, soybean oil and olive oil.

A 1991 study at the Department of Food Engineering and Biotechnology, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology found that treatment with avocado oil significantly increases the water soluble collagen content in the dermis, which effects the age of the skin. Avocado is used in many folk medicines as an aphrodisiac. Avocado oil is an emollient and very stable. According to the AMA's committee on Coetaneous Health it does help make the skin feel softer and smoother, reduce roughness, cracking and irritation. And may possibly retard the fine wrinkles of aging. Said to help protect the skin from ultraviolet rays.
I am new to posting so I hope it was ok to add all of this.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Wow I started using AO due to this post. I've been using it on my lips mixed with Matrixyl and that's been great! It does more than I realized I'll start using it on my face now.

Thanks
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
okay, so I can use advocado oil right around my eyes and its okay, or do I have to mix it with something and if so what?..where do you guys get yours from? Thanks
Rae
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
okay, so I can use advocado oil right around my eyes and its okay, or do I have to mix it with something and if so what?..where do you guys get yours from? Thanks
Rae

I just dabbed a bit under my eyes b4 bed, that's it. I got mine a my local health food store. Was pricey but I still have 3/4 of the bottle.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
soooo.......I don't need to have a carrier oil or anything? Just straight AO
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
soooo.......I don't need to have a carrier oil or anything? Just straight AO

Yep. Just a dab'll do ya!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Avocado oil IS a carrier oil... it's not an essential oil.

A basic rule of thumb is if it's viscous and oily and you could cook with it--it's a carrier oil. (Of course, there are lots of carrier oils that you wouldn't cook with--like castor oil... but I hope you get the point).

Carrier oils generally come in larger bottles (though some of the more expensive ones will come in smaller ones... wow, my rule of thumb really isn't that good).

Essential oils, in contrast, usually come in smaller bottles--almost always glass--often with a dropper or dispenser top to control how much comes out. They are much more watery in texture and usually have a VERY strong scent.

Hope that helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Quote:
Wow I started using AO due to this post. I've been using it on my lips mixed with Matrixyl and that's been great! It does more than I realized I'll start using it on my face now.

Thanks

This sounds interesting....I've never purchased Matrixyl for DIY. Do you purchase yours from The Personal Formulator? This is a great idea!

5% products discount

Sun May 07, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
I was using AO nightly for months , I couldn't really tell a diffence..then I stopped for a while and I noticed a huge difference in my skin. The texture is not as good and my skin isn't glowing as it was before. also my eyes and lips aren't as full looking.

So now I'm back to using it.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Yes I purchase Matrixyl from the Personal Formulator. This is working well for me. I've had a hard time finding a good AO since my health food store closed. I find the dark green unfiltered type works best.
mooon
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:
chimera wrote:
I tried the avocado oil on my lips last night, it really did deepen the pink! Amazing.

Diderot, do you put the oil over your entire eye or just near the lines? I've been using it for a few days and it's hard to tell if there's a difference but I'll keep at it. I put it under and around my eyes at night.

Hi Chimera,

Hopefully, I can even grradually quit wearing lipstick after using avocado oil for a while, wouldn't it be great if your own NATURAL lip color is red enough ?? I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I did the beeswax tonite, but it requires a little *cooking* since the natural beeswax is sooo hard, I put 1/12 wax, 11/12 avocado oil in a butter warmer, heat it on the stove. Dug empty one of my twist-up lip balm(I picked dermalogica's SPF15 stick, its bigger), let the mixture cool down a little, then pour into the empty tube right before it solidifies. Sounds complicated, but is really quick and easy.

I prefer beeswax over shea butter, bc of the healthier tint, more hygenic than using it from a tin can or the lip venom tube, also it's cheaper. I got a block of it for $1.4(enough for me to make at least 10 of this).

D Dancing

Thanks for sharing the info.

I cannot wait to try DIY.

But where can I buy beeswax in Vancouver??

For avocado oil, do I just buy them from the essential oil shops??

Embarassed
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
depends on where in vancouver you are.

i bought mine at a dandi-pak place. the one on macdonald and broadway--across from the safeway.

it's aromalife brand, coldpressed, 100% AO.

it was 5.99 for 125ml (4.5 oz.) but it's lasting FOREVER.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
what website do u buy your avocado oil? Is avocado oil better than emu oil?
IMISS
5% products discount

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:10 am      Reply with quote
I used to use Emu oil on my eyes and I perfer AO now. I have a brownish tint underneath my brows and I'm pulp and normal skin tone after I use it. I apply it sparingly at BT.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Don't know about other countries, in US, I find the unfiltered green avocado oil now at Shaw's Supermarket, yeah ! Surprised

D

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I love this thread and the benefits of AO . I am hoping its going to help my stretch marks and working on them tonight!

I'll let you know .. Very Happy
appyone
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi:
I thought I just got lucky! I used some kitchen avocado oil on my lips a few weeks ago at night-they were just so dry and chapped (New England winter) and I got up the next AM worried I had some weird allergy...my normally thinish lips felt plumpy, then I remembered putting on the oil and realized that must have been it (since I had used nothing else on the lips). Well, since then I've been using it steady on the lips and under my crepy eye area and it really really helps. Who knew!!
A

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
where did you buy the Avocado oil?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
At that time? Yipes - good question. I know then I spent ALOT of time and the health food store near my home.

helenzwl wrote:
where did you buy the Avocado oil?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |