Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
ARE YOU READY FOR FALL?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'll miss summer but I can't wait for fall to officially be here. Time for knee high boots and ladylike trench coat and glamorous make up.

Every year, I promise myself to have to find out the perfect make up box for myself which will include: a perfect make up foundation, a perfect mascara and a perfect shade of lipstick, then I will gladly end my search and start to enjoy making my face up like a real lady. 'Til now, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for".

Caspers Mum, Magda, Mabsy, leeleedeedee, everybody who holds a magic wand that could help an ugly duckling transfer into a golden swan, could you please kindly enough to share your secrets with me...:0)
Mabsy

Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Leila,

First of all:

1) Ugly duckling - I think NOT my dear! Smile
2) I envy you, I just put my boots in 'storage' last week. Long hot humid summer is coming Sad

Ok, Caspers Mum is a makeup artist (from what I recall) so I'm sure she can give you some great pointers. But from my limited experience:

Bare Minerals foundations are great (but you have to be patient and learn how to apply them properly). The Bare Minerals Warmth powder is a beautiful blush (love it!). I'm going through a 'dewy' phase at the moment though so I've put the Bare Minerals aside and I'm testing out the YonKa tinted moisturiser sample (which is very nice) and using Prescriptives Magic powder on top.

If you want more of a dewy glowy look then I highly recommend the Prescriptives Magic translucent powder. It feels wet when you put it on your skin (but it IS a powder, just has a high water content). It's a funny feeling (in a good way). Two things though, it's not really all that good for oily skins and the brush that comes with it really REALLY sucks! As far as liquid foundations go everybody seems to be raving about the Armani Luminous Silk Foundation at the moment (yet to try this one myself).

Now that I mentioned a brush.... Very Happy I still think that the Jane Iredale eye brushes are the best! And I love my Bare Minerals powder brush too!

I adore Clinique Moisture Sheer and Almost Lipstick lipsticks; you can never have too many (I think I have 3 of each and I still want more!). I'm very pale so I shy away from bold colours and these are perfect for me (though they don't last long). The MAC LipGlass lipglosses are right up there for me too (especially the Lust one). They also have very good staying power.

Mascara.... Hmmm that's a tough one. I like the Lancome Flextencils one (especially the pruny coloured one Very Happy) but I've found that they tend to go either way. Sometimes I love them and sometimes it clumps on me. I don't know what's up with that! The Definicils one is good if you want a dramatic look. The Mirenesse mascara is VERY good but I hate taking it off. It's supposed to come off with nothing else but warm water and 'gentle rubbing' (like the new Lancome Magicils). I find it involves too much rubbing for my liking.

I love using highlighters as well, particularily in winter. The BeneFit Dandelion one is beautiful. Um... let's see what else... Oh yeah, YSL Touche Eclat. A brightening 'concealer' (I use it on top of my normal concealer Smile) though it sounds like you have the eyes thing down pat Wink

I'm also a big fan of the Clinique Eye Defining Duos (especially the Double Plum one!). Nice and easy to apply even for a eye-makeup-clumsy person like me! Sorry, I know you only asked to foundations, mascara and lipstick but I just can't stop at that :P Wow, this post turned out long... sorry! *blushes*
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, you should know by now that I love to read all of your posts, they cover so many things and it seems to me you're having really great joy writing them. Especially for this post, I'd like to thank you a million times. I think I will reread it at least a dozen times to really soak up all the information. THANKS MABSY!
Mabsy

Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Leila, glad you enjoyed reading it; I aim to please! Cool But I do get wordy in the process Very Happy And yeah, you're spot on. I do enjoy reading and posting on this forum. Not quite sure why this forum in particular; it just has a nice 'one big happy family' feel to it. I just wish the 'one big happy family' wrote more reviews though! :P

And to add to the wordiness of the previous post... Smile I always use Burt's Bees Lip Balm under my lippies. I've been loyal to Burt's Bees lip stuff for a long time. I am really tempted to try the Aromessence Decleor Lip balm though. Based on princessleia's review it seems that it also gives that nice cooling feeling which is what I love about the Burt's Bees one. Forgot to add it to my previous order. Me thinks I should plan more and make a wish list Smile [Ok, I admit, this whole paragraph was way off the 'fall makeup' topic Smile]
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Hello Leiladao,

I wish I had a magic wand but, alas, I don't. I just had my fiftieth birthday and I haven't yet found the perfect skin care products and routine and neither do I have the perfect skin. I am searching and searching like everyone else. On top of all this I have the most finicky, sensitive, irritating skin on the planet ( and I'm not exaggerating) so I have always had to spend a lot of money on keeping my skin in good condition. That being said I concentrate more on skin care rather than make-up because I think the better the skin condition the better the make-up. I do know that alot of celebrities like Nicole Kidman (who does have gorgeous skin) use Jane Iredale make-up.

Like Mabsy (who I adore from her posts) I'm into the dewey look. The older I get the more dewey I want to be. I live in Montreal where it gets really cold in the winter so dewey doesn't come easy. Boy, I would like to live in Australia!! Right now people are saying I still don't have any wrinkles. However, when I look in the mirror I seem to see a million. Go figure.

I'll tell you what I'm into right now. I just found another Canadian website (www.ambrosia.mb.ca) where they selll beautiful essential oils for the skin. Oils such as: "Rosa Mosqueta (very regenerating to the skin) Camilla (a lot of people say this one oil gets rid of wrinkles) Hazelnut (where the people at ambrosia told me it is one of the most emollient of oils and very good for skin dehydration - yes, I called them up for advice and they were wonderful!" There's a facil blend that contains a mixture of all of the above oils plus others as well. You can put this facial blend all over your face and even around your eyes (yes, they told me this too - I had tons of questions for them.) It's sort of along the lines of Decleor but without the strong aroma (which bothers me) and more potent and way cheaper. Apparently essential oils penetrate the skin far deeper than ordianary creams can reach. I don't know if what I'm saying interests you in any way, but if you're interested in this go into the website and have a look and you can ask me any questions at any time. I understand the search for beautiful skin and I think we can all help each other out. When I find a good product I will let everyone know.
Mabsy

Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I'm really flattered! I'm glad you enjoy reading my reviews. I love this forum, I think we're getting a nice community going here!

Seeing as you just had your 50th birthday .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Very Happy If other people say that you have no wrinkles then YOU HAVE NO WRINKLES! Like you I tend to concentrate more on the skincare side of things because (particularily in Australia where the sun is harsh) it's important to keep skin moisturised and protected if you want your makeup to look good. Magda posted a while ago a list of celebrities who use Jane Iredale, it was quite interesting (a lot of men on there! Surprised) http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=248

I've also just recently made the whole essential oil discovery and I'm absolutely loving Decleor and can't wait to try out more of their products! In fact, I'm about to post a review of the Phytopeel mask (which is pretty good btw) which I (and my mum in fact) got to try from the tonnes of samples that were included with my last order (thanks EDS! Very Happy)
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
You must be only 25 at heart and look as young as 24. If you love the skin you are in, you must love life a lot. Great lesson and advice I got from you, leeleedeedee ( from the sound of your name, I guess you must be a musician?). Thank you leeleedeedee for a very caring and attentive response. Please keep searching for the finest and keep sharing with us your good find.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Mabsy and Leiladao for the birthday greetings. How kind of you. Actually, turning 50 was no big deal. I feel a lot wiser and that's okay with me. Thank you both for the kind words.

I'm glad you're interested in the essential oils. I do believe they reach the deeper layers of the skin. I have tried a number of Decleor products and liked them very much, but found the aroma just a bit too strong for me. But I still use their "whitening aromessence" every other day. I love this oil. It feels great on my skin and I never break out with it.

Mabsy, can you tell us what special things you do to protect your skin from that beautiful Australian sun? I'm just curious about what people who live in high UVA/UVB countries do for their skin.

Thanks a bunch for all of your kind words.
Mabsy

Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Leeleedeedee Smile

Well, I must first say that I moved to Australia when I was 12 and at the time saw no need for sun protection. As I got older (and sun-wiser) I decided it was well worth it. I think what finally scared me is seeing girls my age with leathery skin. Definitely not something you get to see in Eastern Europe.

My absolute favourite for summer is the Shiseido Anessa SPF50 sunblock. It's almost like water and does not leave a white cast like most sunscreens do. It just goes right over your moisturiser and under your makeup. In winter I tend to use something like the Dermalogica Solar Booster or just a cream with SPF15 if I'm only going to work and don't intend to be in the sun long.

I also use moisturising masks a lot because being in a hot country means you spend a lot of time in air-con which my skin definitely does not like. Lastly, I'd love to be able to say that I drink those 6 glasses of water to rehydrate my skin but I'm afraid I never make it to that many (though I *DO* try!) Sad

LOL, and after all that trouble of protecting my skin from the sun I go and apply some St Tropez fake tan (body) and Lancome Flash Bronzer (face) when I'm looking too ghostly pale Very Happy
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy!
Thanks a ton for the info. When I was in my twenties there was no such thing as sunscreen but thank goodness I never liked to sit in the sun. Now, I'm very aware of the need for sunscreen and even here in Montreal we have incredibly hot summers with high UV rays. But, I never know which sunscreen is effective and my skin is quite sensitive to a lot of them, but I may try the Sheseido, so thanks for the rec.

Now, re all that water. Who can drink that much? Like you I try but never make it. I keep hoping on day we will hear that drinking a couple of glasses a day is enough! Thanks and bye for now.

leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy!

I'd also like to try Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, too. Just have no clue where I can find it here in Vancouver. For now, I am using Dermalogica Treatment Foundation, but I'm not very happy with the shades that I chose, 1 is quite pink and 1G is a little bit dark for my pale skin, I guess I also need the Corrector(-). One of my beauticians told me that we should choose a foundation that matches the skin color of our neck, but not our face. I'm just so confused.I also use Mac Studio Tech NC15, but I prefer Dermalogica for its texture and its pure ingredients.
Mabsy

Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried the #1 Dermalogica foundation yet but I have tried #1G and also found it too dark. I'm an NC15 in MAC StudioFix. I'm really liking the Yonka tinted moisturiser at the moment though. So depending on how much coverage you need perhaps you could try a sample of that? Dermalogica also has a new tinted moisturiser and EDS should be getting it in soon.

Not sure about what is supposed to match what anymore; so I either ask for samples or get the SA to put some on me for the day and see how it looks. If people start looking at me funny then I know that's not the right shade Smile LOL.
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I think you might be my twin sister in a previous life o_o. We have the same skin cares and make up interests... sorry for being goofy again!!!

Talking about foundation, I don't really need a heavy coverage, I just want to add some color, some glow and cover some blemishes here and there on my face. In a dream world, I would have skin like... Jennifer Lopez , a glowy caramel shade, so natural, so sexy, so 'in'. My skin is so pale from head to toe and eventhough I'm in good shape, I still don't have the healthy atheletic look, you know, I'm so tired of being considered 'fragile' which I'm definitely not or wanting to be.

I've never had Yonka , from your reviews, I was thinking about giving it a try, may be I should go with the tinted moisturizer first, just wonder if it's o.k. for my oily skin and what shade you're using for your MAC NC15 complexion and if I can get it here from EDS.
Mabsy

Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I know what you mean about being pale Sad Fake tan's the way to go! Smile St Tropez works well for me.

About the Yonka cream. It's the Creme 410-T-6 where I think the 6 stands for SPF (correct me if I'm wrong please...). EDS carries it; it's under the "Sun Wind & Snow Care" section; second in the list. It doesn't come in different shades but according to the packaging it's for fair skins. If you're an NC15 also then it should suit you. Though I would really suggest you get a sample of it first. My skin is normal-combo(ish) so I can't really comment on the suitability of it for you.

What I do is put the cream on and use concealer on any spots. The put some of that Prescriptives Magic Powder I wrote about earlier.

HTH!

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |