Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Latest fake-nails technology....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:10 am      Reply with quote
For those of you who've been around long enough to remember those "Lee Press-on Nails" from the late 70s/early 80s, here's the latest incarnation....I found this snippet in the "Beauty Buzz" column of the latest issue of InStyle (w/ Sandra Bullock on the cover):

Innovation: Virtual Nails
Press-on nails are making a comeback, thanks to an inexpensive but highly realistic new treatment known as Virtual Nails. First you must be fitted for your new nails, says Margaret Pak of Dashing Diva, the salon that created the $20 treatment (to to dashingdiva.com for locations). After selecting to form the 225 sizes and shapes offered, the manicurist buffs your nails (no filing of the nail bed is required) and then adheres the perfectly fitted virtual nails on top using a non-damaging, medical-grade glue. Our tester said no one could tell they were fake. The best part? When you want to remove them, they slip right off after a 15-minute soak in a product called Magic Melt ($10USD).

I don't know...I'm still tramuatized by the memory of walking around at my brother's wedding, shaking hands with the guests and leaving each one with a bemused expression on their face when they looked down at their hand and discovered that I had inadvertently deposited one of my press-on nails into the palm of their hand when we shook.....but then again, it's got be less damaging to your real nails then getting those nail wraps/extensions (I never, ever had the nerve to do that!!). If any of you try these, be sure to let us know the verdict!

Carrie

P.S. If anyone is looking for a fantastic quick-drying topcoat that also leaves your nails glossy and shiney, I *highly* recommend Seche Vite "Fast Drying Topcoat" or Poshe's Quick-drying Topcoat, the Rolls Royces of quickdrying topcoats! Both of these products penetrate through all the layers of primer/polish to cause your manicure to dry super fast, it covers any nicks or minor flaws you might have made, it helps your manicure/pedicure last a long time and it adds a bigtime amount of shine!!

One hint: the Seche Vite can get a bit gloppy after a couple months, which requires that you purchase Seche Vite's "Rejuvinator" (thinner -- don't try any other brand to thin the Seche Vite, you *have* to use their brand) to thin your bottle, and for that reason only, I'd give the Poshe topcoat a slight edge. Either way, I would never consider doing my nails at home again without using this stuff to finish out my mani/pedi, although -- for maximum results -- the trick is to apply these topcoats when your colored polish is still wet.

If you do your own nails, you seriously need to give one of these topcoats a try. Either one is less than $8USD, although I've been told that you can sometimes find it on Ebay for a little less.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Ooh, Carrie. This sounds interesting!

I was a faux nail wearer (Acrylics) for about three years and when I had them surgically removed (okay, maybe not surgically, but that's what it felt like) my underlying nail bed was (and is to this day) a bloody, thinned out, mess. They were sooo soft and nasty - I didn't want ANYONE to look at my hands. Plus I can remember when my manicurist would accidentally nip me with the drill/sander and I thought I would fly out of my skin! OUUUCCHHHHH!!! Trauma-city.

I will never, ever do acrylics again. To this day, my nail beds have developed lines in them where there were never before, are always thin and peeling, etc., etc. The Nailtiques 2 helped somewhat, but they've never been the same.

These sound very interesting! I'd love to hear some reviews!

Maria Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have my nails done for special occassions, so this sounds perfect for me.
Cool
Lori
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
sounds cool, but i'll stick to nailtiques and growing my own!
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
These ones sound good.
A friend was also talking about having a french manicure 'sprayed' on to the nail- not sure if they use a tip or not, but apparently it looks good.
My nails are crap anyway, due to a lifetime of being bitten Embarassed , and I have only just grown them. They still weak so am scared to try artificial nails. However, just stick on ones sound fine.
*Has* anyone tried them? would be great to know results
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
How totally enticing!!! I'm game!! Carekate, your Lee press-on story is totally familiar - too funny! You've recommended some stellar top coats...can you, or anyone else out there recommend some really good quality long-wearing colour?
Thanks a million!
Pudoodles
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
can you, or anyone else out there recommend some really good quality long-wearing colour?
The general consensus is that Essie nail polishes are best in terms of long-lasting color without chipping, although the majority of their shades are pales/pastels/neutrals, so if you prefer more "color-saturation" from your polish, then Essie may not be for you. Personally, I love OPI nail polishes for just that reason (lots and lots of color!!), although I admit I rarely bother to paint my fingernails (they're short so I just buff 'em to keep em shiny) so most of the time I only polish my toenails.

Although I have to admit that I have recently ventured into the realm of Essie polishes and I love just about every single one I've bought!! Somehow Essie polishes manage to be shiny/glossy even *without* putting a topcoat over it, which is great for those who are too impatient for those sorts of things! Essie "Mademoiselle" is the universally-flattering pale pink Y-N-B-B shade, while "Naked Truth" is the ultimate nude for just about everybody.

So far, my fave Essie color is "Shop Till You Drop," a milky-pale apricot color that looks quite amazing for a pretty, but understated, spring-time pedicure (have to layer 3 coats to achieve color shown in bottle, but that's no prob if you use the Seche Vite or Poshe topcoat I mentioned). But right now I'm in love with Essie's "Breezy Beach" which looks like an innocuous shade of pale, pale peach in the bottle, but once you put it on your nails, it comes alive with this very, very subtle iridescent shimmer that flashes gold, lilac and/or green in the sunlight. Gorgeous, but subtle! I've got it on my toes right now and when I'm outside I find myself becoming mesmerized by the beautiful color on my tootsies -- it's stunning without being OTT....

If you like red polishes on your tips or toes, then check out Essie's "After Sex" (stunning pearlescent candy apple red, dark enough to look ultra chic), which is Essie's answer to the universally-worshipped OPI "I'm Not Really a Waitress" (supposed to be the ultimate bluish-red shade of polish that *anyone* can wear...INRAW is typically my standard fall/winter pedi color, although I intend to try AS next fall/winter).

For darks or 'earth tones,' check out "Sugar Daddy" (blackberry mixed with a touch of chocolate brown - much like OPI's International Date Line), "Uptown Taupe" (mauve in some lights, taupe in others), or "Chocolate Kisses" (shimmery plum brown), all from Essie.

Bottom line: if you've never checked out Essie nail polishes, you should give them a try because I've found that Essie applies more smoothly, with less chance of streaky, than OPI because they are thinner in consistency (I mean this in a *good* way!) so you don't have to be as 'vigilant' and precise when applying this brand.

Essie polishes are generally the same price, maybe about 50¢ cheaper, than OPI.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I just got an essie polish last week. can't remember the name, something crazy. I like nudes so I'll be buying more of their line. I find opi chips too easily
Scout
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Which stores carry Essie? Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm...you should be able to find Essie polishes at most ‘beauty boutiques.’ If you’re in the U.S., I know that Ulta and Trade Secret (most major shopping malls have a TS store in them) both carry Essie products...places like that.
ella_stella
5% products discount

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:03 am      Reply with quote
does sound good. not aware that they've hit britain yet! Don't knock nail extensions! they're not all bad. it's not actually the acrylic that's bad for your nails its when you peel them off or soak them off. it takes away a layer of your natural nail making them thin and brittle. Although they're definitely the strongest and most durable I wouldn't recommend acrylic nails. Gel nails are by far the best alternative and for something even kinder to your natural nails try silk wrap.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Code:
OPI "I'm Not Really a Waitress" (supposed to be the ultimate bluish-red shade of polish that *anyone* can wear...INRAW is typically my standard fall/winter pedi color, although I intend to try AS next fall/winter).

Oh gosh, I wore the OPI's I'm Not Really a Waitress all fall/winter long and loved it. I'm pretty fair, so I've always shied away from reds unless the polish was for my feet, but this was one color that really works on me.
Scout
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Carekate. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |