Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Air Purifiers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Just wondered if anyone here owns an air purifier or if anyone knows anything about them? i.e which ones are good?

I've been plagued by severve asthma attacks since January, been in hospital twice, once here for a week in intensive care and once in Spain when I went for a rest and ended up having another attack!...

I think these are a good idea but there are so many and they range from £24 to £900!!!!

I know asthma is quite common so thought maybe a few people at the forum might have it??..Before January I'd never had an asthma attack, its weird....

I've also bought the asthma shield bed and mattress by silentnight...geez its costing me a fortune!..

Thanks for any help

Suzanne

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Gucci,

You should look for air purifiers with certain filters, for asthma a HEPA-filter is a must. Here is a little info:

" There are many different types of air cleaners on the market, all claiming to trap and remove irritants from the air. Most physicians recommend using an air cleaner with a True HEPA filter. HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air and is a filtration media that, by definition, captures .3 micron sized particles with 99.97% efficiency. As a size comparison, the end of a human hair is usually around 60 to 80 microns across.

Most HEPA air cleaners include a pre-filter that is usually impregnated with charcoal or carbon. This serves two purposes: it captures larger particles and it absorbs odors. By the way, following the recommended changing intervals of the pre-filter will help prolong the life of the main HEPA filter. Some HEPA air cleaners also include a third filter usually designed to give better odor removal as well as filtration for fumes and gases called VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds). "

My advise for you is that you should look for an air purifier with Hepa-filter. What's the area it purifies air? How long will it take to clean your air? What's the durability of your filters? How much do the filters cost? etc.

Good Luck,
Medusa
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Hello Gucci I am really sorry to hear about your asthma suffering, when I used to spend time in Manchester and Oxford my asthma gat quite bad too. For some reason now I am here in Lancashire it's not as bad - maybe it's being in the hills in the fresh air!!! Very Happy
You never told me where abouts in Manchester you are? I thought I may have scared you off with the ref to Cheetam Hill!!! No believe me I don't spend any more time there, it's like a war zone Rolling Eyes It always amuses me that one minute we were living there and the next in Oxford
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Gucci,

I have 3 Ionic Breeze Quadras (Silent Air Purifiers) in my house. They are from the Sharper Image. My husband has Asthma. He developed it a few years ago. I have two Persian Cat's that I had before his Asthma.

These air purifiers are awesome! I can't believe what it picks up. I used to have HEPA Filter Purifiers but I got the Ionic Breeze as they are cheap to run and totally silent. Besides, the filters for air purifiers gets expensive. We also noticed that we tended to shut them off (HEPA) as they can be noisy if you are talking to someone or watching TV.

Here is a little about them:

Ionic Breeze is the only brand of air cleaner with the Seal of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and the endorsement of the British Allergy Foundation. Professional Series unique 3+2 collection-blade configuration significantly improves the capture rate of pollen, dander, tobacco smoke, dust and other allergens and irritants.
Greater air-cleaning capability is ideal for larger rooms of 500+ square feet.
Enjoy silent operation; proven air-cleaning effectiveness; odor reduction; no replacement filters; attractive tower design; low energy use (12 watts); 24-7 air cleaning.
An ACNielsen national survey of owner of room air cleaners showed that Ionic Breeze is America's most trusted major brand, with top ratings for value and user satisfaction.
Full 5-year warranty.
All Ionic Breeze air cleaners comply with U.S. safety requirements for low ozone emission (less than 50 parts per billion) for household appliances.

BTW: My two cats are a black and white Persians: Max and Penny (indoor). I am so sad but I really think I need to find them a good home. If I let them go I would have to make sure they were both together. Crying or Very sad I do not think they are helping my husband at all. My two Scottish Terries do not shed and the doctors don't think my husband has a problem with them at all. Wish someone on this forum lived in MA and loved cats. Sad
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud

I'm in Swinton in Manchester, and my partner was born in Cheetham Hill!!!..haha. He lived there for about 15 years but now lives in Old trafford! Sorry I didnt see the post where you must have answered me!!!

Winnie, I have 2 ragdoll cats (indoor ones) and I wouldnt give them up for the world...they are my fur babies!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Gucci,

If I let my two cats, Max and Penny go it will be the hardest thing I ever had to do. My husband does not want to see them go either but when I hear him wheezing it scares me so. As I told you he's the love of my life for 40 years. Darn, now I feel like crying.

Winnie
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie,
I wish I could offer you a solution to your problem. I don't suppose one of your near neighbours could take them, I suppose they would just come back to you. I am so sorry don't be sad though. you will think of something.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Poor Winnie. It will be ok soon- think about it for awhile to see what is best. I would look after them for you but a little too far away maybe- you couldn't visit often.

Gucci-
I have a vacuum cleaner that has a built in air filter- may be a good idea, so you can suck up dust mites etc and purify the air- good for athsma- also is the best vacuum cleaner in the world (had no idea I would get so excited about one).

maddy
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Oh Winnie

I know exactly how you feel...My cats are my children, (they are half persian). Does the ionic breeze not help to much with the cat dander?...I thought maybe it might?..

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:44 am      Reply with quote
Gucci wrote:
Oh Winnie

I know exactly how you feel...My cats are my children, (they are half persian). Does the ionic breeze not help to much with the cat dander?...I thought maybe it might?..

The Ionic Breeze is awesome and helps our air quality a great deal. But, you know Gucci the hair on Persians Laughing Shock Right now they are shedding with Spring upon us. I do my best to really brush them good once a week. I had a long talk with my daughter about the situation yesterday. My daughter lives in the same town as I. We are trying to figure something out.

BTW do you have carpet or hardwood floors in your home? It is my understanding that hardwood with area rugs are best in a home for people with asthma.
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:59 am      Reply with quote
We have carpet downstairs....We have just had all new hardwood floorboards put down upstairs and all the carpet taken away, so downstairs is next!

Ragdolls have fur like rabbits so dont really need that much brushing, people say they dont shed but believe me they do!!!!

It would be wonderful if your daughter could take the cats!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Winnie - has your hubby tried desensitisation (sp?) therapy? It seems to work for some people and might be worth a go. I hope you figure out a way to keep your kitties!

Gucci - I've got an Ionic Air Purifier and that works quite well. It's got two filters, a HEPA one and a normal dust one. I think the brand I have is Sunbeam. It's not very loud but I wouldn't call it whisper quiet either. It does have three fan setting though and the manual says that it purifies air in a small sized room in about 20 minutes. One word of warning - the price of the HEPA filter (which needs to be replaced on a regualr basis) is half the price of the whole purifier Confused
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy...
I've definately decided to buy the ionic one ( those filters put me off)!!!!! Shock

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Gucci wrote:
Thanks Mabsy...
I've definately decided to buy the ionic one ( those filters put me off)!!!!! Shock

I think it's still worth getting one with a HEPA filter if you have allergies or asthma. The ionic part only gets rid of odors and some dust (I think).
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |