Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Negative effects of smoking?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
I smoke about 10-20 cigarettes a WEEK, so I'm a pretty light smoker. I was wondering though, if smoking cigarettes affect your skin negatively. Does it have any affect on how fast your red marks heal? Or how about on how oily your skin is?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I think in some smoking shows more then others on the face. Here is an article I found. Shock

Scientists think they may have discovered why smokers look older than people who do not smoke. They claim that simply looking at a person's face could show whether he or she is a smoker. A study by dermatologists, published in The Lancet, shows that smoking activates the genes responsible for a skin enzyme that breaks down collagen in the skin. Collagen is the main structural protein of the skin and keeps it elasticated.
When this starts to disintegrate, skin begins to sag and wrinkle.
Professor Antony Young and his colleagues from Guys, Kings and St Thomas' School of Medicine, in London, measured concentrations of the gene MMP-1, which breaks down collagen.
They studied the buttock skin of 14 smokers and 14 non-smokers and found significantly more MMP-1 genetic material in the skin of smokers. Professor Young said: "Smoking exerts such a noticeable effect on the skin that it's often possible to detect whether or not a person is a smoker simply by looking at his or her face. "Smokers have more wrinkles and their skin tends to have a greyish pallor compared to non-smokers. "Smoking tobacco activates this enzyme that breaks down the skin collagen. "We did not know that before, we suspected it from studies done in the test-tube, but this is the first proof."
Professor Young also warned of the dangers of solar ultra-violet radiation, which has a particularly detrimental effect on the skin of the face. Amanda Sandford, research manager for Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), said she hoped this would act as a warning, particularly to young smokers. "It's ironic that teenagers often start smoking in the hope of appearing more mature but it probably never occurs to them by middle-age they will really start to look older than their age. "For smokers, middle-age starts in their early 30s as the tell-tale wrinkles around the mouth and eyes begin to appear. "Young female smokers are likely to be wasting money on anti-ageing face creams if they continue to smoke. "The best beauty treatment by far is to quit smoking." The Tobacco Manufacturers Association criticised the study saying it was too small and inconclusive. A spokesman said: "This latest piece of research is too small in sample to be of real significance.

"The investigators themselves use the words 'might' and 'possibly' in their conclusions and admit that sun's rays could be an important factor."

Scary huh? I smoked for years. Never have said this before on the forum. Guess the first step is admitting it. Sad I've quit, started again, quit!!! I don't smoke heavy but I used to. I don't think it shows on my face but I am sure I am a mess inside. Really scares me. Crying or Very sad I know: "Just quit." It is not as easy said as done.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi BinaryStar and Winnie, Forget what smoking does to your face!!! What about your lungs?!!
Maybe someone could start a forum smoker's support group (in the Lounge perhaps)? My mom died of lung cancer at age 62, so I don't want anyone to smoke. I know it is difficult to quit and that you have to want to, but maybe with some on-line support everyone can help each other? Just thinking of ways to encourage you!
joani
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
joani.sp wrote:
Hi BinaryStar and Winnie, Forget what smoking does to your face!!! What about your lungs?!!
Maybe someone could start a forum smoker's support group (in the Lounge perhaps)? My mom died of lung cancer at age 62, so I don't want anyone to smoke. I know it is difficult to quit and that you have to want to, but maybe with some on-line support everyone can help each other? Just thinking of ways to encourage you!
joani

Did you hear about Peter Jennings. He is one of my favorite ancor men. He gave up smoking years ago but he now has lung cancer. He is so open about it. I think he will reach a lot of people. I think he is sooooo handsome. I will never forget on 9/11 how the tears were coming down his face when broadcasting.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie, yes I was shocked about Peter Jennings. He's my favorite too! So cool, and yes, handsome indeed! I think 9/11 has caused a lot of people to fall back on bad habits, especially those in NY. But there must be a healthier vice you can take up...
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
joani.sp wrote:
joani

I am a very light smoker and my family has a history of being pretty resistant to cigarettes (10+ heavy smokers, none have lung complications and they have been smoking for decades), so I'm not too worried about it.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
joani.sp wrote:
Winnie, yes I was shocked about Peter Jennings. He's my favorite too! So cool, and yes, handsome indeed! I think 9/11 has caused a lot of people to fall back on bad habits, especially those in NY. But there must be a healthier vice you can take up...

I went to my sons for a week. I perhaps had 5 cigaretts all week. I decided to take up eating everything in sight. Shock

BinaryStar we never can say never. Smoking is a bad, destructive, smelly, expensive habit. If you are young give it up NOW. In my case I think the damage has been done (hope not Crying or Very sad )....should still give it up and spend the money on something nice for myself. Very Happy When I started smoking there was no mention about health risks and was considered very cool. Mad
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I totality agree with Winnie. If you are a young woman BinaryStar, please try to quit. It is bad for your health, bad for your skin, and just bad!

Winnie, my mom grew up not knowing the risks also. Smoking was glam and oh so cool. My dad quit cold turkey more than 35 years ago, but my mom just never could because I suspect, she never wanted to.
And Winnie, if you quit you could buy tons more skincare and makeup products!!! You too, BinaryStar Wink
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a young man. I just like the feeling I get when I smoke.

Aside from creating/worsening wrinkles, what other bad effects does smoking have, particularly when it comes to healing red marks? Does anyone know?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
BinaryStar wrote:
I'm a young man. I just like the feeling I get when I smoke.

Aside from creating/worsening wrinkles, what other bad effects does smoking have, particularly when it comes to healing red marks? Does anyone know?

Besides all the negative effects mentioned I would think that because smoking hinders circulation healing might be slower. Eh? What type of red marks are you talking about?
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm talking about hyperpigmentation. Sometimes after pimples go away they leave a red mark.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
BinaryStar,
Smoking interferes with healing. If you have to undergo surgery, the doctor will ask if you smoke and if it is possible to quit before the surgery. This is because smokers heal more slowly than nonsmokers.
So smoking will cause your leftover acne marks to hang around for longer than usual. Another good reason to quit!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
BinaryStar wrote:
I'm talking about hyperpigmentation. Sometimes after pimples go away they leave a red mark.

You can try using a 10% glycolic acid solution daily to fade the hyperpigmentation. If you do please be sure you use a sunscreen.
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
10% glycolic acid solution? What types of stores generally carry that?

Do you think SPF15 is enough protection?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
BinaryStar wrote:
10% glycolic acid solution? What types of stores generally carry that?

Do you think SPF15 is enough protection?

Avon Clinical Two Step Facial Peel is very good. It cost 32.00 but you can always get it on Ebay for 15.00 or less. There is no smell to it so I think you would like it. Glycolic also helps with pore size and breakouts. It will make you more sensitive to the sun so an SPF if very important. This product helped my daughters pigmentation.

Some people also like Epidermx (microdermabrasion) for pigmentation problems. I am sure someone else can answer in regard to Epidermx. I can speak of the glycolic as I have seen the results with my daughter.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi Binary!

I use DDF 10% Glycolic Pads (60 pads a jar for $25.00). I use them once daily in the evening. It really has improved my skin (I am acne-prone and 40).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:54 am      Reply with quote
There is no question that smoking has a negative effect on your skin (and everything else - its a filthy habit).

From a scientific standpoint, my understanding is that smoking diminishes the ability of the blood cells to carry oxygen and, as such, has a measurable effect on the cells' ability to regenerate. The immediate effect is manifested in the rate at which your skin can heal and also the rate at which you generate collagen... Both are obvious critical to maintaining healthy youthful skin.

Although I know that smoking effects each person differently, I can ALWAYS spot a smoker - it shows on their skin, in their overall coloring, and around their mouth. NOt to mention that you can smell them a mile away Confused
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:27 am      Reply with quote
i notice smokers get those really fine lines around their lips that make them age them A LOT!!!

If you want to quit you can do it. Start a thread in the lounge and we'll help support you! Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the occasional smoking is OK - I myself used to smoke when I was younger and quit, I don't cough any more and now I don't mind other poeple smoking but the thought of even 1 just turns my stomach, I've tried and it sent me on the shitter Laughing Laughing oooo can say that Shock .
But breathing in car fumes is just as bad, probably worse. So if you work in a city.....
Mabsy

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:48 am      Reply with quote
BinaryStar wrote:

...my family has a history of being pretty resistant to cigarettes (10+ heavy smokers, none have lung complications and they have been smoking for decades), so I'm not too worried about it.

Oh dear....

While I certainly don't wish you any harm at all I will say is that there is a first for everything. My partner's mum comes from a family with *no* history of cancer at all and she has been struck down by a very rare and very aggresive form against which she is quickly losing the battle. So please don't think that it won't happen to you because it didn't happen to others in your family. If you still want to smoke than that's your choice but I don't think you should rely on the fact that your family has not had any cancer problems from smoking.
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
BinaryStar wrote:

...my family has a history of being pretty resistant to cigarettes (10+ heavy smokers, none have lung complications and they have been smoking for decades), so I'm not too worried about it.

Oh dear....

While I certainly don't wish you any harm at all I will say is that there is a first for everything. My partner's mum comes from a family with *no* history of cancer at all and she has been struck down by a very rare and very aggresive form against which she is quickly losing the battle. So please don't think that it won't happen to you because it didn't happen to others in your family. If you still want to smoke than that's your choice but I don't think you should rely on the fact that your family has not had any cancer problems from smoking.

Oh, I'm certainly not implying that I won't get cancer. I'm just saying that I'm not *terribly* worried about it, especially since I'm not much of a heavy smoker.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:31 am      Reply with quote
BinaryStar,

A few days ago I found an article about topical vitamin c and smoking. I looked again, but I seem to have lost it (I should have posted it when I first found it, but I was busy)...Anyway, what it basically said was that by using a topical vitamin product free radical damage caused by cigarette smoke was significanlty reduced (sorry, I can't remember the exact %, and I don't want to misinform). So, if I were you, I would invest in a C serum (at least 15%)...maybe even a C&E serum. It will also help with the hyperpigmentation of your skin Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |