Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best Powder to Use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all--

I am very fair skinned (from keeping out of the sun), have a normal skin complexion (not too dry not too oily) and unfortunately a slight case of rosacia on my chin. While I use Finacea and La Roche Posay's Rosaliac (a new rosacia cream) it is apparent that it will be visible (at least to me) for the rest of my life.

Basically, I want to find a new powder/coverup that isn't creamy, but powder. I would like almost full coverage and I was hoping you all had some suggestions. Currently I am using a powder I purchased from Sephora, Body & Soul, but it's just ok. I can still see the Rosacia slightly on my chin and to me it seems visible that the powder is sticking to the redness. I haven't given bare essentials a try, but I keep reading about it on the forum...
Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help! Very Happy
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale should be good for your Rosacia - I have never tried it but everyone gives rave reviews. Bare Escentuals gets prety mixed reviews. Have a go at trying out samples or get the MAs to give you a consultation, so that you can try the products on, go away and see how your skin reacts before buying.
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the reply!
Where is Jane Iredale available...(that I can try it on before buying it). I'm clueless when it comes to buying makeup (or how to apply it!).
Smile

rosebud wrote:
Jane Iredale should be good for your Rosacia - I have never tried it but everyone gives rave reviews. Bare Escentuals gets prety mixed reviews. Have a go at trying out samples or get the MAs to give you a consultation, so that you can try the products on, go away and see how your skin reacts before buying.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried LeClerc??? If you are in D.C. you can get a sample of it at either Neiman Marcus at Mazza Galleria or at the Saks in Chevy Chase. It is the best loose powder I've ever found and they have a shade called banane (yeah yeah - I know - again with the bananas) which is especially recommended to neutralize any red in the skin.

It comes both loose and in a compact... I use the translucide and I adore it.... Good luck!
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, LeClerc does make great powder. It is very sheer so I don't know if it will cover your redness although they do have a yellow-based powder that is supposed to neutralize red.
Jane Iredale is a favorite on this forum. I have used it and Bare Escentuals. I'm one of the few who actually like Bare Escentuals better and what I like is that I can actually get some coverage. You can purchase Bare Escentuals and Jane Iredale right here at EDS. I would ask for samples, as sometimes, it is difficult to match your skintone to the powder. Hope this helps, joani
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
http://janeiredale.com/wheretobuy/wheretobuy.html

where to buy JI!

you can buy samples on skin-etc.com for $3 each.
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
you definitely have a thing for bananas! I've never heard of LeClerc and would love to give it a whirl. Is it uber expensive? I think I'll get a sample of Jane Erldale (sp?) and bare essentials too so I can test them all out (not at the same time of course!) :IoI:

katee wrote:
Have you tried LeClerc??? If you are in D.C. you can get a sample of it at either Neiman Marcus at Mazza Galleria or at the Saks in Chevy Chase. It is the best loose powder I've ever found and they have a shade called banane (yeah yeah - I know - again with the bananas) which is especially recommended to neutralize any red in the skin.

It comes both loose and in a compact... I use the translucide and I adore it.... Good luck!
Laughing
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
And heres another suggestion of a mineral powder which covers very well and its Pur Minerals. They also have a website.
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
I feel your pain. I don't have severe rosacia, but my skin always seems blotchy and uneven. You're very lucky in that your skin is neither too oily or dry.

I would experiment with some different brands of mineral powders as others have suggested. You may not get full coverage, but minerals tend to even things out nicely, and have a more creamy rather than dry texture.

Maybe you could try a full-coverage concealer on just your troubled areas, and then use mineral make-up over top? One really nice thing about minerals is that they are very gentle on inflamed skin. Good luck!
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
T LeClerc has great powders. It's rice based, but it also contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, although not to the extent of purely mineral powders like Jane Iredale's.

One thing with T LeClerc though - you have to make sure that you get the right shade. When you do, you'll see how it lights up your complexion. Smile

They also do a range of corrective powders. You can check out the range at www.t-leclerc.com.
Mabsy

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:01 am      Reply with quote
T LeClerc does have good powders but they do not really provide coverge though, not in the same way as mineral powder foundations do. I haven't yet found any normal powders that can provide that same level of coverage as mineral makeup powders. Mind you, I might be missing something with the T LeClerc because I only have their translucent version.

I would definitely recommend Jane Iredale though. I have the pressed base compact and I am in love with it and soon buying another before I run out of the current one.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:19 am      Reply with quote
misskoslow wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply!
Where is Jane Iredale available...(that I can try it on before buying it). I'm clueless when it comes to buying makeup (or how to apply it!).Smile
FYI - If you have an Ulta or Sephora store near you (and I’m sure there must be at least one or the other in DC!!), you can go there to try out Bare Escentuals mineral foundation. As for trying out Jane Iredale’s products, I second Lianne’s recommendation to buy samples fromwww.skin-etc.com, but another alternative would to be find a Jane Iredale retailer near you and go there to check out the foundation shade selections in person. The Jane Iredale website has a ‘locate retailer’ feature where you type in your ZIP code and it’ll return the names of the closest stores/spas near you.
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Mabsy that LeClerc powders do not provide coverage. They are fairly sheer. I use a shade called Camelia and although they impart a subtle colour to light up the complexion, they are not meant to cover.
ammwv402
5% products discount

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:39 am      Reply with quote
You might check out Youngblood Minerals on makeupartistschoice.com. I noticed they sell samples, so you can try it without investing a lot. Good luck. Wink
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:26 am      Reply with quote
i have mild rosacea and use BE...i havent noticed anything bad about my skin..if anything my skin looks very clear. Ive been curious about Jane Iredale..but it seems like they are no better then BE with what they put in the loose powders...and the shades seem WAY too dark for my skin anyways.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 am      Reply with quote
By the way...what is the lighest color of JI's loose powders? I use #1 for BE and its still a bit dark on me...maybe too peachy looking? (I have cool/pinkish undertones)
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I'm naive, but is there an advantage to having minerals in your powder? What does it do?

Hmmm...my complexion is VERY WHITE (other than my rosacea). Someone mentioned that Jane Irledale is too dark ...After all these recommendations I hope it has at least one color that will suite my skin.

Thank you for your help! EDS is simply the best.

Bad Bird wrote:
T LeClerc has great powders. It's rice based, but it also contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, although not to the extent of purely mineral powders like Jane Iredale's.

One thing with T LeClerc though - you have to make sure that you get the right shade. When you do, you'll see how it lights up your complexion. Smile

They also do a range of corrective powders. You can check out the range at www.t-leclerc.com.
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="misskoslow"]I guess I'm naive, but is there an advantage to having minerals in your powder? What does it do?[quote]

Minerals are inert and sit on your face forming a barrier against UV rays and environmental pollutants. They are not as drying as talc in talc-based powders. Minerals also provide a bit more opacity and hence coverage.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale recently put out a new colour

"Ivory: for those skins so pale that even Bisque had too much color."

skin-etc.com has samples for sale, $3 each and it should last you at least a week or more.
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I was at the skin-etc website 2 days ago to order some samples, and ivory was not a choice. Perhaps they would update the website soon.

The dermstore.com website is great for viewing photos of the actual powders (colours). But of course, one must remember the saying that "in electronic medium, colours may not be true ..." Brick wall
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
i'm sure you got the bisque so you should get a good idea from that. you'll have to be quite pale to not have that work I think.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know if that ivory color comes in loose powder? This makes me extremely please...ive been wanting to try it and now i feel confident i can:)
Mabsy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:36 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
By the way...what is the lighest color of JI's loose powders? I use #1 for BE and its still a bit dark on me...maybe too peachy looking? (I have cool/pinkish undertones)

First, remember that the pressed powders run a bit lighter than the same named shades in the loose versions. I use BE in #1 or #1.2 (#1 only in winter) and in JI I use Warm Silk in the pressed base. I think if you find BE #1 a bit too dark then you might want to try that new Ivory shade by JI....
Mabsy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:39 am      Reply with quote
misskoslow wrote:
I guess I'm naive, but is there an advantage to having minerals in your powder? What does it do?

Just off the top of my head:
-provides SPF protection
-does not clog pores (good for acne-prone skin)
-provides coverage like foundations do (i.e. you use a mineral powder in place of a liquid foundation/powder combination)
-non-irritating (good for rosacea skin)
-great at covering up redness

I'm sure I missed some important points there...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |