Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:01 am      Reply with quote
I have just 're-discovered' this product after using it when it first came out about six years ago and only stopped using it due to the price and being broke at the time!:O) I can't believe I've taken this long to re-buy!(It's now £25 in the UK)
I love this product! It is more a finishing product rather than a setting powder. It's supposed to have 70% water and the rest is made up of optical diffusers. It makes your skin glow without being sparkly and the translucent is 'ultralucent' so it suits all skin colouring (they also do a red neutralizer and a gray neutralizer according to the website).
It feels like a cool mist when you put it on so is great in the summer.
You will either love this or hate it I think. If you want a made-up matte look this isn't for you. There are lots of reviews on MUA and several say that it works best on bare skin but I found it's fab over my mineral foundation (BE might make you too shiny with this for daytime but its fine with JI & Youngblood).
If you want a dewy healthy look then this is for you, it seems to minimise pores and other minor flaws without making you look 'made-up'.
Only cautions I have are that I'm not sure it'd be great on a very oily skin, (can't really say as my skins combo/dry), the packaging is pants - the little brush they include is cute but useless - I use a big BE brush. Basically application wise, if you follow the principles for the application of minerals you will get it right - if you paint it on with the included brush or onto skin where the moisturiser hasn't sunk in it will cling to areas and look weird. Less is definitely more in this case. Like minerals once you've mastered the application its a fab product which I will certainly re-purchase.!

PS - Make sure you close the lid tightly afterwards to keep the cooling effect - this can wear off after a (long!) while but it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the powder.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:22 am      Reply with quote
I have this but have not used it in ages. The last few times I tried to use it it went too pearlescent on me and also didn't feel wet anymore. I have had it tightly capped but I've had it for probably about two years now (although I only used it frequently at the beginning and then dropped off for some reason). I actually read somewhere that you can restore the water content of the powder by simply adding (bit by bit) some mineral water (preferably with a spritz rather than just pouring it in). I might try that actually because it's just sitting on my shelf and the way it is at the moment there is no way that it's going to be used up.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy - I actually 'rediscovered' this languishing in my makeup draw - and it had been there a long time!!! It is too shiny once it completely dries out I agree, I found its fine after it initially loses the cooling effect as long as you use it up, after a long time it seems to go too 'sheeny'. I bought a new jar remembering how I used to love it and the new one is fine so maybe its an age thing? I suppose once the water has evaporated you are literaly just left with the 'undiluted' and more 'concentrated' optical diffusers? I will try the mineral spray trick if and when this one dries out and let you know how it works - wish I'd kept the antique one now just to see (had had it FAR too long to risk using on my face so chucked it out). Shock

Very Happy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:13 am      Reply with quote
Lucia - I tried "re-watering" it last night. It worked like a charm! I didn't do this on the whole pot of powder though, just on a bit that I was going to use. I tipped a little bit out into the lid and gently spritzed it with Jurlique Rosewater Spray. It felt exactly like it did when it was new plus it now had a lovely rose scent to it! Laughing It also wasn't as pearly, so I guess you're right that this happens as it dries out.

Another thing I discovered is that my seemingly useless Jane Iredale Fan Brush is a great way of applying this powder and getting just the right amount on! I still think the brush is total crap when it comes to using the JI blush (or probably most pressed blushes/powders).
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Oh that's good news - thanks for that - I like the idea of it having a rose scent too!

Glad you found a brush that works, especially one that was redundant and now has a 'job'! - the brush they give you is a total waste of time! Wish they'd stick the powder in a normal pot, minus pants brush and put the price down a bit!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I've been wanting to try this! The price scared me away though, that and the fact the nearest counter is in Vancouver, some 800 kms south of me here. I love the way my skin looks right after I get out of the shower, just patted dry it looks dewy, flushed and glowing. I'm always on the look out for a product to give me that look without oiliness, emollients break me out and make my pores huge. We are leaving for a 5 day vacation in Vancouver next week, I'll have to see if I can check this stuff out! Thanks for the great review Lucia and Mabsy. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I bought this a few years ago, and while I loved the idea and the feeling (so refreshing!), my skin actually looked pretty bad with it on Shock Maybe it's because my skin is not smooth or free of scars, but the powder seemed to highlight every ugly I needed hidden. I passed this gem along to a friend who, of course, looked great with it on.

Tina
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I, too, tried this product 6 years ago. I forgot about it, then tried it again recently, and am now positively hooked for when I get the oilies.

In fact, two weeks ago, I wrote an Epinions review on it for those who are interested:

http://www.epinions.com/content_179496586884

P.S.: Make sure to sign in if you are registered!
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Well, you convinced me, I just have to try this now.

I am also very interested in their Vibrant skin misturizer for dull skin.
Any feedback on that product???
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I tried this product too when it was released six years ago. I too found that brush useless and I wish that you guys had been around to let me know that I cold actually re-hydrate the powder. That's pretty cool but I was not knocked out with the results of the powder alone.

What I did love from this line is the Vibrant cream. I put it on over my moisturizer and under my makeup. Sometimes I will mix it with my foundation fot a light coverage day. I cannot live without this stuff. My skin looks fabulous and so healthy with it.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:19 am      Reply with quote
I picked this up the other day (47.50CDN) - I was just *too* curious! While I know only too well that what works for one, does not always work for another I must say, (with all due respect) that this, for me, falls into the category of striped toothpaste - interesting to try, but silly and kitchy nonetheless (IMHO). Given the *Magic* name, I guess I was expecting something a little more transformative...I just wasn't impressed at all. I found it rather unforgiving in terms of app - and the cooling effect on app - is, well, useless (unless I'm missing something here). I tested it with mineral powder first and found the result just very average (and far below that of mineral veil)...and when I tried to use it over a sheer layer of liquid foundation I just hated it - it wasn't effortless - and I needed to be very careful not to create a sort of streaky effect. I guees it might be a nice product to have in your bag on a hot day when you aren't wearing makeup and want to dissuade the oilies and cool your skin (for however slight a second the cooling lasts..)but as a staple product, it's just not for me - this one is definitely a shelfer - boo-hoo for me! Sad
Pudoodles
Mabsy

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles - I agree with you on the gimmick front. The sensation of wetness only lasts while you're applying and then goes away immediately. I haven't had any problems with application (though if I used the supplied brush I bet I would Rolling Eyes ) until the powder dried out on me and became just too pearly and blotchy. I must admit that I applied it now over JI pressed base and not liquid foundation, so the powder didn't have any places to catch on and look uneven.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I just got my Prescriptives Magic Liquid Powder today and I'm REALLY impressed!!!! The cooling effect is fleeting, that's for sure but I find the effect I get very flattering over Jane Iredale loose powder and it really did reduce the look of my fine lines (under eyes) and pores. I even put some on hubby so he could feel the cooling effect. Laughing He's so sweet to let me do it. My skin looked glowing and healthy - couldn't stop applying it every couple hours all day! It didn't seem to be glittery like warm and clear radiance show up on my face, wayyyy more subtle - just right in fact!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Glad you liked it Lolli!
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I think I jumped the gun with my previous negative comments about the Prescriptives Powder.......I think I might have used too heavy a hand when I first tried it.....I have been using it regularly now (instead of my mineral veil) and absolutely love it (sheepish grin...) Embarassed .......Definitely should have given it a few more tries before opening my mouth....will keep using this for sure!!
Pudoodles
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
I think I jumped the gun with my previous negative comments about the Prescriptives Powder.......I think I might have used too heavy a hand when I first tried it.....I have been using it regularly now (instead of my mineral veil) and absolutely love it (sheepish grin...) Embarassed .......Definitely should have given it a few more tries before opening my mouth....will keep using this for sure!!
Pudoodles

That is so great, Pudoodles!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |