Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mojocat,

I can't imagine that adding EO would hurt ... I'd let it cool a bit before adding it though.

I wonder if a drop or two of carrier oil would make it easier to remove? It might not "stick" quite so firmly ... It might be worth a try.

Good luck

Mary
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi again Mojocat,

This morning when I went to make this ... I ran into the problem of it not "melting" entirely. I was left with a rather large amount of undissolved gelatin.

I think it was because my boiling water didn't stay hot long enough ... at least that's my theory.

I wonder if having it over boiling water ... like a bain marie ... would help dissolve it more.

The instructions on the envelope of my gelatin say:

"Pour 1 pouch over 1/4 cup of liquid. Add 1/4 cup of boiling water and stir constantly until completely dissolved (about 1 to 2 minutes]"

Now ... given that those are the directions to make it "normally" ... I'm wondering if we need to put the 1/4 teaspoon of gelatin over 1 tsp of cold water ... then add 2 tsp of boiling water to the "mix". And since we're working with such a small quantity of water ... perhaps the "stirring constantly" needs to take place over hot water ... like with a bain marie?

At any rate ... it's worth a shot.

This morning I actually made up an entire envelope ... and have refrigerated the rest. It will gel ... but I should be able to "melt" it tomorrow without hurting any of its properties ... shouldn't I?

Mary
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
What a good idea, I never thought to do shower gel Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:10 am      Reply with quote
I tried stirring longer last nite and true enough, the consistency was smoother and better. It actually resulted in a thinner layer that is being applied. Hence, it washed off easier too. however, i still run into the prob of my eyelashes getting glued to the paste. worries me that if i blinked, my eyelashes would get plucked off automatically. Still finding the solution to that. otherwise, pretty liking the results...havent tried it with EO yet...not sure if the oil would be too rich for the undereye area. Re shower gel, yeah!!! i wanna make my own!! wonder if there are any in-house experts who can offer some suggestions here??
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:28 am      Reply with quote
I’ve had a couple of members contact me recently asking to purchase some of my ACV super toner, but are concerned about using it because they have very sensitive skin. While I’m certain that the ACV toner can be beneficial for every possible skin type or condition, I started wondering what ingredients I could add (or remove) from the standard recipe to make a specific “sensitive skin” formula. The light bulb finally went off, thanks to the discussion in the following thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8032&highlight=green+tea

If one has extremely sensitive skin, why not replace the green tea called for with chamomile tea instead (or in addition to)? Chamomile tea is known to be extremely calming and soothing, so surely it would be helpful to those whose skin is generally irritated by most common ingredients? Even though my skin is only sometimes-sensitive, I made myself another batch of ACV toner over the weekend but this time I put in equal parts of green tea and chamomile tea (made from distilled water). I had a flaky, red patch near my nose, the result of minor skin reaction to a product sample I had tried out on Thursday, and after applying the ACV toner with chamomile tea a couple of times over the weekend, the flaky patch is gone! Of course it might merely be coincedence, but I seriously recommend trying out the chamomile tea in your toner, especially if you have sensitive skin....

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using equal parts green tea and Celestial Seasonings's "Sleepytime" tea in my ACV toner. Sleepytime is chamomile with other herbs used in skin care products, including hawhtorn berry, lemon grass, rosebuds, orange blossoms-even spearmint.

Since I have problems with blemishes and skin congestion, for EOs I add pepperment and citrus (various combinations of lemon, grapefruit, lime, or sweet orange). Those scents also compliment the ingredients in the Sleepytime. It smells so much better with the vinegar than green tea alone-and the chamomile does help calm my redness.
anna g.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Just a reminder, peppermint is really strong, so anytime you use it test patch and only use a little.

I forgot and used too much at first--little red bumps and a stinging sensation popped up immediately. I wiped my face with aloe vera juice on a cotton pad. It tingled (which may have been from spreading the peppermint? Or maybe b/c the aloe was cold from being in the fridge?), but within a few minutes the bumps were gone. Maybe that would have happened anyway--I was just winging it.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I wanted to post an update on an alternative to the standard aspirin mask recipe that many of us know and love. I’d been wanting to create a mix that included the benefits of all the different types of AHAs and BHAs (click here to learn more: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7046&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ahas), so this weekend I started fooling around with my latest batch of aspirin mask (mixed with honey and aloe vera juice).

First – in addition to the uncoated aspirin dissolved in aloe vera juice and mixed with a bit of honey to give it “substance” – I added a bit of lactic acid (bought fromwww.thepersonalformulators.com), and a teaspoon of granulated sugar (a form of glycolic acid), along with a heaping tablespoon of French Green Clay for oil absorption (this ingredient is optional if you don’t have excessively oily skin). I mixed it all together and have used it for the last three mornings and I’ve got to say that I love this formulation better than just the plain old aspirin mask! The difference is seriously like night and day. If you’re already a fan of the aspirin mask, you need to give this a try!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate,

Thanks for this "update".

I've been making my aspirin mask with heavy cream and lime juice.

I "melt" the aspirin in the lime juice and then add about 1/2 tbls of heavy cream.

Now ... I use the lime juice for citric acid [limes having more than lemons] ... and I was hoping that the heavy cream would have a modicum of lactic acid in it.

Am I right in thinking this? Anyone know where I can find out how much "lactic acid" or "lactose" there is in heavy cream [35%]? And what is the difference between "lactic acid" and "lactose" [the milk sugars].

I think I'll add the brown sugar in this evening's mask.

Thanks

Mary
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
This reminds me..I've heard some raves before about using Miracle Whip as a mask. I don't think it was here, but on some other forum.

Apparently, the stuff in it (like vinegar) made their skin really smooth.

I would try this but I don't actually use Miracle whip. It'd be pretty weird to buy it just to use as a mask! Laughing
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
This is my first post but have been a long time lurker.

My first receipe that I tried was the Dr. H cleansing cream. I happened to run out of cleanser but had all the ingredients in my cubbord so I thought I would try. I have been using it for about two weeks now, It leaves my skin so soft but almost like a polished finish. I went to the doctors today and the nurse who is also an aestitician comented on my skin and how nice it was and asked what I was unsing. She wrote it down and is going to make her own. LOL. This stuff really works.

Question, what is rose water and where can I get it, I have looked on all the websites and cannot find it anywhere?

Question 2, what does the Vitamin C serum actually do for your skin?

Thanks to all of you who have posted the knowledge from this site is awsome and I am trying so many receipeis and cost next to nothing. Very Happy [/quote][/code]
azalea
5% products discount

Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
carekate: do you still use your DIY vitamin c serum or have you opted for a store bought one? if you do still use the DIY one, do you add any sort of germacide in order to prevent bacteria from growing in it? also, do you use it around, and especially underneath your eyes? and how do you store it- in the fridge (i read in old posts that cold (or hot) is bad for vit c) or at room temp?

Thanks! Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:37 am      Reply with quote
azalea wrote:
carekate: do you still use your DIY vitamin c serum or have you opted for a store bought one? if you do still use the DIY one, do you add any sort of germacide in order to prevent bacteria from growing in it? also, do you use it around, and especially underneath your eyes? and how do you store it- in the fridge (i read in old posts that cold (or hot) is bad for vit c) or at room temp?

Thanks! Smile
Yes, I’m still using the homemade Vit-C serum. I started out using CSRx Vit-C serum for about a month, and I’ve been using my homemade version ever since that time (late Feb or early March). I don’t include a germicide because I usually make a fresh batch every 3-4 weeks so I don’t believe that my serum has time to “go bad.” I don’t store it in the fridge, although I *do* keep it cool by keeping it next to the A/C vent in my bedroom.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Okay ... today I got my ascorbyl palmitate [oil soluable Vitamin C ... or Vitamin C Ester seen on cosmetics] and have set about to make a serum.

I used 1000 mg of ascorbyl palmitate [400 mg of Vitamin C] in 2 tsp of grape seed oil.

How do I figure out the percentage of Vitamin C in this?

The ascorbyl palmitate is dissolving in the oil much like the ascorbic acid dissolves in water ... slowly.

The ascorbyl palmitate is more stable than the ascorbic acid ... and I'm hoping it will be very effective in a serum ...

Does anyone know if ascorbyl palmitate is "light sensitive" as is ascorbic acid? I somehow think it isn't as light sensitive ... but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

I couldn't find out much on the Personal Formulator ... except that it said that 30 mg dissolved in 100 ml of oil gave you a 0.03% solution ... and then it said something about in an ethanol solution giving a 1% solution.

Does that mean that while it's oil soluable it's also alcohol soluable?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Mary
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:58 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
How do I figure out the percentage of Vitamin C in this? Does anyone know if ascorbyl palmitate is "light sensitive" as is ascorbic acid? I somehow think it isn't as light sensitive ... but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

I couldn't find out much on the Personal Formulator ... except that it said that 30 mg dissolved in 100 ml of oil gave you a 0.03% solution ... and then it said something about in an ethanol solution giving a 1% solution.
I’d suggest you send a PM to pbsadhaka (Darren) with your questions as he seems to be the go-to guy when it comes to figuring out the formulas to determine the percentages of all our homemade brews and potions. Personally, I panic if I see a mathematic equation any more complex than 1+1=2!!! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Carekate! I did PM Dennis ... and anxiously await his response. Smile

This a ascorbyl palmitate is kind of neat. It doesn't so much "dissolve" as "expand". The result is almost a cream-like consistency ... so much easier to apply.

I had thought to make a gel from water & xanthan gum ... but I don't think I'll have to ... unless I find the current "form" too oily. Laughing

At any rate ... this will be an interesting experiment.

Mary
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Thanks Carekate! I did PM Dennis ... and anxiously await his response. Smile

This a ascorbyl palmitate is kind of neat. It doesn't so much "dissolve" as "expand". The result is almost a cream-like consistency ... so much easier to apply.

I had thought to make a gel from water & xanthan gum ... but I don't think I'll have to ... unless I find the current "form" too oily. Laughing

At any rate ... this will be an interesting experiment.

Mary

Do you mean Darren? I was was just going to mention you can also email the personal formulator. Smile

5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
just about read this whole thread - PHEW! What great ideas you all have.
Question: I went on a search for L-ascorbic acid and like a lot of you couldn't find it. I realise I could probably buy it online (havent checked out those webpages yet, though I don't know if they would deliver to little old NZ anyway), but in the meantime, what would happen if I made the ACV toner without the L-ascorbic acid? I figure it wouldn't be too bad. Are there any alternatives to using that ingredient?
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Nothing bad will happen :LOL I don't make it with it because I am pretty sure it isn't stable and I don't want to create more free radicals or something. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Leaky wrote:
...what would happen if I made the ACV toner without the L-ascorbic acid?
FYI - other than the actual ACV and the water, all of the other ingredients in my toner recipe are completely optional.

5% products discount

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
excellent *rubs hands together with glee* I shall mix myself up a potion! Very Happy
Might even try making the Dr H CC without it though I've just ordered myself some of the real stuff.
Valdi
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Guys, this forum ROCKS! Carekate, I just made my first Vitamin C serum and I am impatiently waiting for the vit c to dissolve, shaking my li'l bottle as a maniac. Thank you for sharing your recipies. It's very much appreciated.

Concerning the toner, I made mine with honegar and rosewater and ten drops of lavander oil. I am very pleased with the effect but my hubby started calling me "pickle", plus I ended up all sticky cuz of the honey. Laughing I am wondering if I could add aspirins in my next ACV toner which will be made strictly according to the recipe? Or is this too much?

What else can I add in cleansing cream to replace witch hazel? I am not familiar with that plant at all. Or that I do not even bother with that ingredient?
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I recently had minor surgery and have been using a essential oil of jojoba, tee trea, lemon and geranium on the wound. (I had a lump cut out under my armpit) Because I could'nt use deoderant I was a bit concerned. I have been using the oil for about a week and realized I havent had underarm odor when I use the oil just once in the morning. I'm thinking this is great because all of the deoderants have aluminum in them.

Does anyone know if long term usage of these oils have any side effects or if they are safe on a daily basis.

I love it so much I have been using it as my deoderant under both arms.
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Girls,

I went out and bought the aspirin to make aspirin mask. Just before I try it, do u know if Aspirin gets absorbed through skin? I am still nursing and am worried that it will affect my baby girl.

Also, where on earth can u buy the amber or dark blue glass bottles?

I went to Whole Foods Mart and cannot find the Vitamin C Crystals. Where else can I get this stuff?

Thanks,
Anna
Valdi
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
If you are into buying things online as I am (but I must as I can't find such things in my country) here's the link for Vitamin C:
http://www.vitaminproshop.com/033984033016.html

And glass bottles:
http://store.yahoo.com/cranberrylane/glass1.html
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |