Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
fishzebby wrote:
Thanks Carekate and Valdi about the EO.
I would like to make my own ACV for very dry skin. Can someone post what is the best ingredient, including EO for dry skin? I would like to avoid witchhazel, lemon and Ylang Ylang. How should I make my own ACV?

I'm sure Carekate and/or Valdi will reply soon, but in the meantime I remember rose and sandalwood EOs being good for dryer skins. Do a search on EOs and you will find heaps of info on the ones that'll suit your needs (there's even one on this very thread, I think).

With that, to answer your second question, you could make your ACV toner simply using the above EOs, green tea and ACV following Carekate's recipe on the 1st page of this thread (but for dry skin perhaps a little less ACV). Good luck! Very Happy

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:42 am      Reply with quote
I have seen reference to using oils as a cleanser and I have searched this forum but have not seen a recipe for it. Anyone have a recipe for oil cleanser and can you use it on oily skin?
karmicarchitect
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin and use it.
Here's where I found it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5612

Most of the people in the thread use just the straight oils, but I like my oils to be rinsed off. Here's the general recipe I work off of:

6 t. olive oil (or another oil)
3 t. castor oil
1/2 t. peg-7
1/2 t. polysorbate 80
several drops lavender e.o.

OR

a ratio of 7:2.5 of olive to castor oil

The ratio of olive:castor oil changes with the season. When I'm oilier I use more castor oil. Using a minimum of 10% polysorbate will allow the mixture to rinse off completely (if you're as oil-phobic as I am).

Another recipe (I haven't tried it)--
65% almond oil
20% capric/caprylic triglycerides
10% sorbitan oleate (or peg-7)
5% polysorbate 80
5% Germaben

And another: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/formulas.htm#
blackhair

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Im new to this, but I have a DIY semi-recipe. I have VERY oily, but sensitive skin, so when I find a moisturizer I like I stick with it. My problem was finding a very gentle scrub. My solution was to mix some baking soda (weird I know) in my moisturizer. It worked SO WELL! My skin was super soft AND it wasnt flaky.
Valdi
5% products discount

Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
fishzebby wrote:
Thanks Carekate and Valdi about the EO.
I would like to make my own ACV for very dry skin. Can someone post what is the best ingredient, including EO for dry skin? I would like to avoid witchhazel, lemon and Ylang Ylang. How should I make my own ACV?

P.S. I never tried DHCC yet, so I am not sure what to compare. So, exact ingredient will be appreciated. Thanks all...

I am sorry for the delay if you were waiting for my reply. I've been so busy lately. I am a newbie here and far from being an expert so keep that in mind. Wink

Listen, my first ACV toner was really great for my skin. I made it simple of 1/4 ACV (20ml), rosewater (60ml) and lavender EO. My ACV was honegar, ACV mixed with honey. Maybe this is good for a start, and later you can play with other ingredients and add a li'l bit more ACV.

My homemade DHCC looks 90% the same as the original but as soon as it's mixed with water it becomes muddy. Does this happen to the rest of you?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:10 am      Reply with quote
blackhair wrote:
...My solution was to mix some baking soda (weird I know) in my moisturizer. It worked SO WELL! My skin was super soft AND it wasnt flaky.
Please be very careful using baking soda on the face because it is very alkaline and will destroys the acid mantle of your skin. Therefore, it is important that using baking soda to exfoliate that you use something like the ACV toner to help restore the acid mantle and maintain the optimum PH balance for your skin.

Valdi wrote:
My homemade DHCC looks 90% the same as the original but as soon as it's mixed with water it becomes muddy. Does this happen to the rest of you?
Yes. My theory is because we're not using any type of preservative ingredient in our homemade DHCC.

ETA: Yes, I stand corrected: lavender essential oil can sometimes be used “neat” but before you blithely decide to slap some on your face, I’d do a patch test first (inside the crook of your elbow is a good place) to make sure that your skin can tolerate the undiluted oil....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Fellow DIYers, especially Carrie and Mary (hpjrt), I found this website invaluable (this page in particular): http://www.naturesgift.com/agora/car.htm

The website is academic-journal style info on aromatherapy, and this page has information on all sorts of carrier oils. (forgive the repeat if someone has posted this link already). Dancing

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
ena
5% products discount

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:35 am      Reply with quote
^ thank you! A great source of information!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any homemade eye cream or eye treatment recipes? I have oily skin so never bother with creams and was wondering if Jojoba, grapeed or any other oils are suitable for the under eye area.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I am also looking for a homemade eye cream. Even though I have oily skin, I still need something or else I get a bit flaky and then my concealer looks cakey.

Also, are there any good recipes geared at addressing fine lines?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question about the homemade Dr H cleansing cream.

Does anyone buy almond butter (located next to the peanut butter in some grocery stores) to use in their recipe instead of grinding their own almonds? I have been buying the freshly ground almonds (almond butter) out of the bulk section at Whole Foods and then grinding them down finer in my mortar and pestle. But I am wondering if I am grinding it fine enough. When I was at Whole Foods, I put a little bit the Dr HCC on my hand from the tester and noticed it was fine and not chunky.

I am also looking for a time saver when I am frantically busy. Even buying roughly ground almond butter sometimes takes too much time to grind down in my own mortar and pestle.

Btw, I love using this type of cleanser!!!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
He he...I am just about to post the answer to your question:

MY LAZY HOMEMADE DR. HAUSCHKA CREAM:
Buy a can of raw (organic) almond butter
(optional: add in a small bottle of tea tree essential oil and stir)

That's it!

Mine has not gone bad and I'm at the end of my jar, keeping it in room-temperature (even though it says I should keep it in the fridge after opening) Very Happy

Makes my skin look amazing!
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
hippie,

i was wondering if the almond butter you got contains any other ingredients other than raw almonds?
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Nope- we had a hurricane here and I had to take everything out of the fridge, so when I reached out for the can of organic raw almond butter, I'd thought I better use this up as fast as I can, since it says it should stay refridgerated...well, two months later, I still use it on my skin (love it) and it has not gone bad at all! I had the creamy version (more finely ground) and although it's alittle chunky on my face- the lazy side of me loves the easy-ness of it. Very Happy
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Recipe for anti-aging and balancing skin moisturiser:

Ingredients

3 oz vegetable oil (wheatgerm, evoo, etc)
1 oz rosehip seed oil
3 oz distilled water
1⁄2 oz beeswax or shea butter
15 drops geranium eo
5 drops lavender eo
5 drops ylang ylang eo

1. Heat the beeswax or shea butter and the oils in a pan until the wax/butter melts.
2. Stirring continuously, add the water until the mixture has a creamy texture.
3. Remove from the heat, and continue to stir until the mixture has cooled a bit.
4. When it’s lukewarm add the essential oils. Whisk using an electric egg whisk to make sure everything is all well mixed (I’m buying one especially to make my skincare concoctions!)
5. Remove from the pan and store in a clean, air-tight jar.

Like I said in another post, I haven't tried this recipe. But a friend from Nigeria is coming for a visit and I've asked him to get me the best pure shea butter (waaay cheaper in its country of origin). I will soon post reviews when I've tried this. Smile

edited to add that the moisturiser is the vo's and (especially) shea butter, the anti-ager is the rosehip seed oil and geranium eo, and the balancer is all the eo's.

P/S
Quote:

4. When it’s lukewarm add the essential oils. Whisk using an electric egg whisk to make sure everything is all well mixed (I’m buying one especially to make my skincare concoctions!)

I meant 'whip' Laughing

yoshko
5% products discount

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
To Carekate,
Do I really need the propylene glycol to make the Vitamin C serum? I would order on the site you recommended but I think $9.00 shipping is quite a lot to pay for shipping. I've looked for propylene glycol in various health food stores to no avail. So I was wondering if there were any other sources to get the propylene glycol. Thank You
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
yoshko wrote:
To Carekate,
Do I really need the propylene glycol to make the Vitamin C serum? I would order on the site you recommended but I think $9.00 shipping is quite a lot to pay for shipping. I've looked for propylene glycol in various health food stores to no avail. So I was wondering if there were any other sources to get the propylene glycol. Thank You
Again, I repeat my offer:

I have two enormous bottles of propylene glycol that I will never be able to use up by myself so I am willing to decant a small amount (enough to yield approx. 1 years’ worth of homemade Vit-C serums) and ship it to EDS members for only the *actual* cost of S&H(plus a 75¢ PayPal currency conversion fee). In addition, I can also provide a small amount of Vit-C crystals with which to make your serum.

If interested, send me a PM with your full name, mailing address and PayPal Account Name (usually the same as your email address), unless you live in the U.S. and then I will accept a personal check or cash for the S&H amount.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Here is my latest favoriate blend of Oil for my winter skin:

5ml Jojoba Oil
3 drops of Rose Otto 10% in jojoba oil (for dry and mature skin, soften, and smooth)
1 drop of Palmarosa (for minor skin irritation and encourages cellular regeneration)
1 drop of Geranium (hormone balancer, for dull skin, reduce inflammation)

p.s. this is a very small patch

I wanted something else for my winter skin because I found Decleor's neroli oil not moisturizing enough for my winter skin and their Iris oil is a little too moisturizing and I didn't find the smell of Iris as good. So I came up with this new blend and its just perfect Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Next time I'm at Neal's Yard I'll have a look for the Palmarosa oil Very Happy This sounds just perfect for me as I love the scent of Geranium Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:41 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Next time I'm at Neal's Yard I'll have a look for the Palmarosa oil Very Happy This sounds just perfect for me as I love the scent of Geranium Very Happy

Rosebud, let me know how it works out for you... Surprised

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone come up with a DIY recipe for the Decleor Baumes?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat I'll let you know, though at this rate I think it will be next year by the time I am out shopping again, I was good and did my Christmas shopping early Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Wild Cat I'll let you know, though at this rate I think it will be next year by the time I am out shopping again, I was good and did my Christmas shopping early Very Happy

Hello rosebud,
If you don't have palmarose on hand, I think you can try Lavender oil instead. Rose Otto goes well with Lavender too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Found another good source for DIY recipes
(no affiliation, etc.)

http://www.theherbarie.com/theherbarie/herb-formulary.html
Liss
5% products discount

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Anyone how knows where to get wicth hazel???
thepersonalformulator left it out of my order and I dont want to pay another 20 dollars for shipping. found it in uk but at a shipping cost of 7 punds for a 1 pound item I might as well used the original at a lower cost.

Or can I replace the which hazel with another astringent ??? Preforbably something which is grown up here in icelandica Wink
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |