Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
georiagirl

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a substitute for propylene glycol? I have just started to make my own skincare products and would like to keep it all-natural? Thanks!
jgurlpunkrck
5% products discount

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Esmeralda wrote:
Avelon wrote:
For when your complexion is out of control.

Here is a little recipe that works for pigmentation and large pores and redmarks. It’s a bit like the Lush warrior mask and is the most effective thing I have ever used, it goes with a warning though, you will smell like salad dressing.

1 egg white
Kaolin or clay
3 teaspoons of garlic juice
juice from half a lemon.

Prep, night before take a few tables spoons of crashed garlic and place in a jar add water, pop in fridge overnight.

Whisk egg white till nice and fluffy, add juice from half a lemon, and desired teaspoons of garlic. Whisk again till fluffy. From here add the powdered clay, or corn flour if you don’t have clay until you get the consistency you want. Personally I beat the egg white for a while, this way you don’t need to much clay.

I use this morning and night for about a week to bring my face back into line when I have let it get out of control.

How much water should I add to the garlic juice and how much kaolin should I use?

Ooh! This mask worked SO well for me (thank you, Avelon!!!). I'm not an expert, but the way I did it was to crush the garlic and use enough to cover all of it in a little tupperware container, but not so much that it was too diluted. As for the kaolin, I just kept mixing in more until I got it the right consistency (it was a little different every time). I've been meaning to make more of this. It's SUPER strong, so be sure to moisturize well afterwards.

I had a question for the experienced DIYers here. I have some lactic acid concentrate that I bought from The Personal Formulator and was wondering if I could dilute it somehow to use as a chemical peel. I was hoping to avoid having to buy a whole new chemical peel set if I can just use what I have. TIA!
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I can't get the links to the recipes to work - when I click on them, I just get the first page of the thread, not the page that has the actual recipe. Can anyone help? Thanks.
newtrip99

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have been trying to solve the same question (how to get to specific recipes)--

there is a post from Mabsy dated Jan. 8, 2008 - and she says she is aware of the problem but does not know how to resolve it...

I just found another thread on searching through Google-

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Subjects related to EDS Forum issues » Tip for Searching EDS Archives

- hopefully that could help us search these pages-- I haven't tried it yet

****If an experienced user can explain all of this more clearly (and/or where to search in the forum for help), I'm sure sgresnic and myself would appreciate it. I just joined five minutes ago and have no idea what I'm doing!
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Sadly, the tips (while GREAT!) don't help in this case for some reason....

Oh well. Thanks for letting me know about the earlier post.
newtrip99

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I just found something else-- In EDS Lounge there's

The ABCs of using the SEARCH feature.......

And about halfway down there's a list of carekate's recipes, and these links DO work---

good luck
sgresnic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am definitely no expert at this, so I could be completely full of hot air Rolling Eyes but comparing the two sets of URLs: The ones that work end with

tid=X&highlight=name of poster

while the ones that don't work end with

tid=X&start=X

where X = a number, possibly a line number?
cheryl g

Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have had red irritated marks just below both sides of my mouth for a long time. I made and used the green tea/aspirin mask last night and when I woke up this morning the spots are 99% gone. I was not even trying the mask for this purpose and this was an unexpected surprise! Thank you DIY Girl for posting the recipe.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I am so happy to find this thread! I need something to decrease the pore size! I will try the ACV recipe. Thanks!
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
After reading a bazillian posts. I have dry skin so homemade vitamin c is better disolved in glycerine rather than the propylene glycerol, right?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
After reading a bazillian posts. I have dry skin so homemade vitamin c is better disolved in glycerine rather than the propylene glycerol, right?

glycerine is better for dry skin yes, but expect it to be a bit on the sticky side!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 am      Reply with quote
what would you recommend disolving the vit. c in? Can you do a mixture of dist. water and glycerine?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
what would you recommend disolving the vit. c in? Can you do a mixture of dist. water and glycerine?

Yes. Here's a nice one, but keep in the fridge.

Simple C Serum – 10%

1/4 teaspoon vit C
1/4 teaspoon glycerin
1 + 1/2 teaspoons distilled water

Dissolve the C in the water, then add the glycerin.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, Thanks. I will try this new recipe.
rainbowcheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:07 am      Reply with quote
All the diy sounds great
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I ordered the products to make my own vit. c serum from Personal Forumlator and also HA, Matrixyl 3000. I haven't made the vit. c serum yet, however I used a comb. of HA one drop and one drop of matrixyl 3000 on my skin today and it is so supple. I used the same on my lips and my lips feel wet.
Last night I also did a aspirin mask. It made my face smooth.

I am liking this HA and matrixyl 3000 combo. I also do dermarolling.
chan
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone has a DIY cellulite cream/oil? I heard that grapefruit seed extract and caffeine (from coffee or green tea) work. Has anyone tried Gaia Garden essential oils, carrier oils?
senesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
be careful with essential oil, do not put too much. It should be below 5% v/v
senesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
be careful with essential oil, do not put too much. It should be below 5% v/v
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
I ordered the products to make my own vit. c serum from Personal Forumlator and also HA, Matrixyl 3000. I haven't made the vit. c serum yet, however I used a comb. of HA one drop and one drop of matrixyl 3000 on my skin today and it is so supple. I used the same on my lips and my lips feel wet.
Last night I also did a aspirin mask. It made my face smooth.

I am liking this HA and matrixyl 3000 combo. I also do dermarolling.

Sherry, give the HA plenty of water to absorb when you apply it. In other words, HA holds 1000 times it's weight in water, so if you don't supply the water, it will suck what it needs from your cells.. Just include distilled water in your HA concoctions, or you'll wind up with dry skin. Wink

It's not the best thing to mix into a vitamin C serum.... You'd be better off keeping the HA as the addition to a moisturizer..

Here's what works best with L-Ascorbic Acid:

vitamin E
avacado oil (cold pressed)
glycerin
propylene glycol
and a variety of silicones, if you want an anhydrous, or oil based serum. (In which case you can really get crazy and make a super serum with Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate).

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Randolyn

Sat May 17, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Great forum here! I am making my own sunscreen/block this year for my children. It calls for zinc oxide. I have found zinc oxide powder USP online but noticed while in the diaper isle that desitin has 40% zinc oxide. Can I use that instead in my sunscreen/block recipe? My only drawback is it contains some mineral oil which is petrolium based but still would be better than the commercial sunscreens on the market I would think? Also I have read that grapefruit seed extract makes skin photo sensitive, is this true? If so why would the sunblock recipe call for it? I know that it is a preservative but?

Here is the recipe:

Better Basic Sunblock Formula
2 1/2 ounces sesame oil
1 1/2 ounces of cocoa butter
1/2 ounce beeswax
4 ounces distilled water
2 tablespoons zinc oxide
(25 drops grapefruit seed extract (as a preservative; available in health food stores)
Melt the oils and beeswax in a double-boiler over medium heat. Remove from the heat,
add the water, and mix with an electric handheld mixer until thick and creamy. Add the
zinc oxide and preservatives.

Makes 1 cup Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Shelf Life: 6 months
Storage: Glass jar with screw top

Thanks for any input Smile
chan
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Randolyn wrote:
Great forum here! I am making my own sunscreen/block this year for my children. It calls for zinc oxide. I have found zinc oxide powder USP online but noticed while in the diaper isle that desitin has 40% zinc oxide. Can I use that instead in my sunscreen/block recipe? My only drawback is it contains some mineral oil which is petrolium based but still would be better than the commercial sunscreens on the market I would think? Also I have read that grapefruit seed extract makes skin photo sensitive, is this true? If so why would the sunblock recipe call for it? I know that it is a preservative but?

Here is the recipe:

Better Basic Sunblock Formula
2 1/2 ounces sesame oil
1 1/2 ounces of cocoa butter
1/2 ounce beeswax
4 ounces distilled water
2 tablespoons zinc oxide
(25 drops grapefruit seed extract (as a preservative; available in health food stores)
Melt the oils and beeswax in a double-boiler over medium heat. Remove from the heat,
add the water, and mix with an electric handheld mixer until thick and creamy. Add the
zinc oxide and preservatives.
Makes 1 cup Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Shelf Life: 6 months
Storage: Glass jar with screw top

Thanks for any input Smile

Can't remember if there was anything on zinc oxide in this post but there are a couple of recipes and some info for DIY sunscreen.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=28604
Also, you can purchase zinc oxide at Cranberry Lane (http://cranberrylane.stores.yahoo.net/zinoxpow.html) and I am sure many other DIY stores...
Good luck!
xtaski
5% products discount

Thu May 29, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Does anybody have a good recipe?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
xtaski wrote:

What did you have in mind?

What are your skincare concerns?

chan
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote
xtaski wrote:

Here is the link to the recipe index on this forum and where to find; however, not all of the links work, so you have to search through some of the posts.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |