Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
This recipe was posted originally onwww.makeupalley.com when I first joined in 2003. It is still talked about on the forum.

MUA Original Aspirin Mask

plain uncoated aspirin are best
(I find that Walmart no name brand are the cheapest.)

I dissolve in hot water; just a few drops from my instant hot water dispenser.

I mash with a spoon. You can use just aspirin and water; however it is flaky.

You can add a half teaspoon of the following to give it better body and sticking together properties.

1) plain yogurt (source of lactic acid)
2) honey (moisturizing)
3) aloe vera gel (the kind from the health store that is almost 100% pure)

I usually use 6-10 aspirins. I also like to do my chest area also.

Apply on a clean face leave on 5 - 10 minutes and rinse well.

The active ingredient in aspirin is a form of BHA. It also gently exfoliates. I try to use 1 - 2 a week.

You can also spot treat a blemish by using just one aspirin and a little water. It takes the redness out and seems to help with healing.

*NOTE* must be aspirin. Tylenol, motrin,etc will not work. Uncoated is best. Coated will work however it is more difficult to dissolve.

BTW my skin type is sensitive; prone to blotchiness but still breakout prone (mid 40's)
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I used that great aspirin mask a lot last month with some nasty breakouts. I have used honey and my fav is to add a bit of glycerin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
I found this here...http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin1.html

Natural Skin Care Aids and What They Do

Arrowroot Dries up blemishes

Avocado Moisturizes

Barley Anti-blemish; refines pores; retards wrinkles

Beet Moisturizes

Benzoin, Tincture of Natural preservative for creams, lotions; chapped skin

Bicarbonate of Soda Water softener

Borax Skin softener; cleanser; bleach; emulsifier when mixed with other ingredients

Bran Tightens large pores; combats dryness

Carrot Sloughs; moisturizes

Castor Oil Relieves itching; fades brown spots; eyelash treatment

Chamomile Tones all types of complexions

Cocoa Butter Cleanser; dry skin moisturizer

Corn Syrup Humectant - holds moisture to skin

Cornmeal Refines pores

Cornstarch Natural thickener for creams, lotions, masks; body powder

Cucumber Reduces under-eye puffiness; reduces wrinkles

Dandelion Moistens dry skin

Egg Conditions; whites best for normal and oily skin; yolks for dry to normal skin

Egg White Adds silkiness and tightens

Elderberry Blossom Moistens dry skin

Epsom Salt Anti-blemish

Fennel Combats wrinkles

Fuchsia Soothes
Gelatin Thickener for facial masks

Glycerine Moisturizer; softener; emollient

Grapefruit Tightens large pores

Herbs Baths; facial steams; creams; lotions

Hollyhock Dried petals provide emollient action; moistens dry skin

Honey Refines pores; tightens skin; moisturizes; retards wrinkles;
anti-blemish

Lanolin Moisturizer; softener; emollient

Lard Moisturizer; softener; emollient

Lavender Soothes

Lavender Water Softens; smoothes

Lettuce Conditioner

Lime Acid; astringent

Marigold Dehydrates - can help reduce excess body fluids

Marjoram Eases tension

Mayonnaise Cleans; moisturizes

Milk (including whole, skim, buttermilk, cream, sour cream) Refines
pores; soothes all skin types; cools sunburn

Mint Stimulates

Mud (including clay, fuller's earth) Large pores; oily skin; wrinkles

Nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans): Scrub to refine pores, combat wrinkles, blackheads and dryness

Oatmeal Soothes, heals, relieves itching

Oils Dry skin: almond, olive, peanut

Oily skin: corn, safflower, sunflower, sesame

Any skin type: avocado, coconut, wheat germ

Okra Dried leaves provide emollient action

Orange Water Softens; smoothes

Pansy Soothes

Papaya Tenderizes; removes dead surface cells

Pineapple Cleans; tones

Plum Anti-blemish

Potato Reduces under-eye puffiness

Rolled Oats Softens skin

Rose Has an astringent effect on oily skin

Rose Water Softens; smoothes

Rosemary Muscle stimulant; tightens skin

Sage Tones oily skin

Salt Invigorates

Strawberry Tones oily skin; anti-blemish

Tapioca Tightens skin; refines pores; aids sunburn and windburn;

demulcent - soothing to inflamed skin

Tea Soothes sunburn; reduces eye puffiness; revs circulation

Thyme Invigorates

Tomato Unclogs pores

Turnip Reduces redness and blotchiness

Vinegar Refines pores; cleans; softens; aids blemishes, itchy skin, and sunburn

Wheat Germ Refines pores

Whole Wheat Flour Thickener for facials

Witch Hazel Reduces eye puffiness; deodorant

Yeast Used in masks for oily or blemished skin

Yogurt Cleanser; bleach; for normal and oily skin

Here are some simple home recipes http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin.html

Blue[/url]
Bluerain
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cgi-bin/mb/YaBB.pl?board=beauty

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cgi-bin/mb/YaBB.pl?board=skin

More kool boards and recipes!!

Blue
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 11:24 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Hints for Hair Care:

Promote Hair Growth: Add 30 drops of Rosemary essential oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help stimulate the scalp, promote hair growth and/or help fight dandruff or seborrhea.

I have read in many reputable sources that MINT also HELPS PROMOTE HAIR GROWTH.

Just thought I would add this... Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Ooooh, I just added 5 drops of Lemon essential oil to my ACV super toner and it’s just fantastic! The combined aroma of the Ylang Ylang and Lemon oils almost completely cancel out the vinegary smell, so for those bothered by that, try adding a bit of those oils and see if that makes it more tolerable for you.

BTW, here’s the benefits of Lemon oil:

• LEMON: Assists in the formation of scar tissue. Antiseptic, astringent, controls the production of sebum, used for oily skin ,and acne. Revitalizes the skin by improving circulation and encouraging the elimination of wastes (used for cellulitis); gently exfoliates the complexion. With long application reduces broken capillaries and varicose veins, softens scar tissue on scars and corns. It is also said to strengthen brittle nails.

Love it, love it, love it! I think I’m going to add a couple drops of Lemon oil to my homemade Dr. H Cleansing Cream next, and perhaps my homemade lip scrub, as well....

5% products discount

Fri May 06, 2005 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi diderot,

I am pretty interested in your recipe for insomniacs which uses 100% pure essential oils (lavender and majoram) - is it ok to use these pure oils on the skin directly without any carrier oils? Do you just apply a couple of drops on the forehead?

Thanks.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Does mint help hair growth because it increases microcirculation. I used to use ACV or my green tea tonic as a hair rinse. I've been using mint green tea recently. I do have some peppermint essential oil maybe I should add it to the tonic for the hair rinse?
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
missykiehls wrote:
Hi diderot,

I am pretty interested in your recipe for insomniacs which uses 100% pure essential oils (lavender and majoram) - is it ok to use these pure oils on the skin directly without any carrier oils? Do you just apply a couple of drops on the forehead?

Thanks.

Hi missykiehls,

Got your PM, figure I would post my reply here so everyone can read Smile

I would not recommend putting pure lavender oil on your whole face, the smell is really strong and the oil is strong too, you probably won't be able to keep your eyes open for long, it may also be too irritating for your whole face, pure essential oil is strong stuff. You can definitely use pure lavender oil on acne or scar, as a spot treatment, but that's about it.

As for the insomniac potion, you put it on top of your HEAD/scalp.

Hope this answers your question,
Laughing D

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Does mint help hair growth because it increases microcirculation. I used to use ACV or my green tea tonic as a hair rinse. I've been using mint green tea recently. I do have some peppermint essential oil maybe I should add it to the tonic for the hair rinse?

Both peppermint and spearmint work. So, yes, I would add your pep. oil to your hair rinse.

And I'm not sure how mint works... you are probably right in saying that it's something to do with microcirculation.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
happyhippy (in another thread) just reminded me that I have been meaning to write about GSE (grapefruit seed extract) by Nutribiotic. I haven't been able to find my little brochure listing all of its recipes. And their website doesn't seem to help in this regard. Hence my delay.

Anyway, this stuff is pretty good for all of its uses. I am trying it on my spots (but it recommends not to use full strength on your skin---and my skin is sensitive so...---- What I do is: after I wash my face while it is still wet I blend about 2-3 drops of the GSE on the broken-out areas and let it sit for about 30 seconds then rinse. It seems to help with inflamation (indicative of fighting bacteria)). It seems to really help fight the infection. Many times my spots aren't as red and swollen the next day after using it.

Other uses:
(keep in mind that YOU DILUTE IT. AND FIND OUT BEFORE YOU USE IT... this is my disclaimer)

-facial toner
-face wash (it doesn't lather though)
-supplement
-fruit and vegie wash
-surface disinfectant
-mouth rinse
-?
(warning: it's extremely bitter I tried adding a few drops to my orange juice as a supplement and I definitely tasted it. I am not sure how people can stand to use it as a mouth rinse.)

If you are interested research it or ask your local health food store.

I am going to add it to all of my concoctions (also as a preservative).

Let me know if you find out anything about it. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for my brochure.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 9:38 pm      Reply with quote

sorry... just wanted to clarify something. When I say "dilute it" I mean that you add drops of the GSE liquid formula to water etc. It's potent stuff.

tootsie
5% products discount

Sat May 07, 2005 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Essential oils can be purchased in many different potencies - for example, depending on where the roses are cultivated will depend on the qualtiy of Rose Otto (pure rose oil) you will find - (In India you will find they produce an Oil that is not pure rose otto - it's rose otto mixed with sandalwood and is called Aytar) Although it does have real rose otto in it, it is not pure. Turkey makes a very good Rose Otto that is very good for skin and hair - i've used it myself with no adverse effects. Rose otto is very expensive and most pure oils are. If you look on the bottle of oil it should say whether it is pure or not. A lot of them have been diluted and only contain 10% of the actual oil. A good company that makes pure oil and has an ingredients list on the bottle is Escents Aromatherapy - they have stores around the Vancouver area. A great book to learn more about essential oils and their uses is called the Encyclopedia of Essential Oils by Julia Lawless.
Last thing... if you have any mosquito bites this year (or any insect bite for that matter) apply pure lavender oil (for kids dilute 10 drops of water to 2 drops of oil) and blot the bites with this mixture. It's safe and works fast. Also, lavender is great for sunburn and other burns to the skin.
I use essential oils for everything - clearing up sinusitis, skin care, flu symptoms and as a theraputic relaxation tool. They're great for burning in a ceramic oil burner and smell up the whole house - some can even cleanse the air... great if you've got a house with the flu going around between family members.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2005 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Amnis, I use the GSE liquid from Nutribiotic. I mostly use it to disinfect our toothbrushes every week or so. It works so well, it's amazing, instantly you can see the 'stuff' it's dissolving off of them. I tried drinking it too, yuck! It is beyond bitter.

I have the brochure and also found it online. I hope this helps. Annette

http://www.nutribiotic.com/GSELiquid.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2005 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
Hi Amnis, I use the GSE liquid from Nutribiotic. I mostly use it to disinfect our toothbrushes every week or so. It works so well, it's amazing, instantly you can see the 'stuff' it's dissolving off of them. I tried drinking it too, yuck! It is beyond bitter.

I have the brochure and also found it online. I hope this helps. Annette

http://www.nutribiotic.com/GSELiquid.htm

SWEET! Yes, it does help- thanks! I guess I didn't look throroughly enough on their website... oops. Another reason why I am so sick and tired of having to rush through everything. Rolling Eyes

~Amnis

P.S. I use it to clean my toothbrush too. Yes, it is amazing. Smile
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2005 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Anyone have any home brews for Firming Masks? I loved the Body Deli's mask. A firming mask it very nice to use weekly and especially great before a big event. I would love to put together one of those masks that get hard and you feel the pulling affect. They really do make your face look smoother and uplifted. Of course it is only temporary and they can get rather expensive to buy. The Body Deli's and Esthers Secret are the only ones I know of.

If anyone know of one please copy and paste your post into a PM. Sometimes I miss a response. Embarassed

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2005 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud's version of Dr H CC

Made up my own cleansing cream, I had a look at carekate's recipe and as I did not have all the ingredients I made my own version up:

*Ground almonds
*Kaolin - this is like a very fine white powder that just soaks up any oil, I have tons in the cupboard, it's used in masks, only suitable for oily skin.
*Tiny bit of Grapeseed oil
*rosewater
*witch hazel
Enough of these last 3 to make a paste like consistency.
*rose essential oil
*ylang ylang essential oil
*geranium essential oil
*lemon essential oil
few drops of each

I think I may have gone overboard with all the oils, I got carried away, but this stuff worked wonders, took a full face of make-up off without stinging or drying my skin out.
I too love the Dr Hauschka cc but cannot justify paying over a tenner for just a cleanser and also find it can sting a little if I leave it on my face for a few mins. Also I like a cleanser that removes my make-up
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2005 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I too find the cost of the DrH CC too much for what you get and it does sting a bit. So, here's my recipe. I have made a batch three times and each time had to grind the almonds more and more fine but I think I have it now. Smile It ends up like a paste but when you use it on your skin it is grainy, just like the Dr H only without alcohol which always irritates my skin. I think he uses it so to preserve his products, I wished he wouldn't though.

Here's my recipe:

a small amount of almonds, about a 1/4 cup
and I add vegetable glycerin until it's the consistency I like. It mixes up with water just like the Dr H version. It has no oil added but the almonds have some so it's still an emulsion, it acts like one anyway. And it soothes and does not sting. Smile

5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2005 3:11 am      Reply with quote
hi diderot,

thanks for your reply. I am just going to purchase these oils so I need some clarifications regarding your homemade 'sleeping potion' - so you are saying that the oils can be used 'pure' on the scalp without any dilution or blending whatsoever? Would that be too strong on the scalp area?
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2005 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi missykiehls,

For the scalp, 5 drops of pure oil is fine.

D

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Jojoba oil. perfect under make up, oil regulating and a little goes a long way

Liz Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 12:51 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

Hi Carrie

I have a powder that is ascorbic acid BP - is this the same thing?

T x
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 4:53 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:

Homemade recipe for avocado lip balm, here is what you need :
Pure avocado oil
Beeswax or Candelilla wax (vegatable wax)
Essential oil (not a must), but I like putting sweet orange oil and lavender oil in, these 2 scent mix well and calms me down. If you like minty taste, you can of course put peppermint oil.

Boil ABOUT 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and 1 small teaspoon of wax, once they are melt together, you can let it cool, I usually gently TOUCH the slightly cooled mixture with my finger tip, it will solidify in a few secs on your finger tip, see if you like the consistency, try it on your lip. Then, I add my essential oil to lukewarm mixture, stirr well, pour into an empty lipbalm tube.

** More wax in the mixture will make the lipbalm stays on your lips better.

Just made my first ever homemade cosmetic as above!!

Am chuffed - it worked a treat and the above quantity made enough for 2 pots of lip balm. It feels lovely on your lips and is sooo easy to do - think I have the bug now!

T x
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Sorry if this is obvious Embarassed but what do you use to boil the oil and wax in? Also, can you melt them down together or do you melt down the wax and then add it to the oil and boil both together?
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I use this to clean, exfoliate and moisturize my skin evey now and then. In summertime I do follow it up a light cleanser.

1 tbs Milk
1/2 tbs Yoghurt (or 5 drops lemon juice)
2/3 drops of olive or almond oil
1/2 tbs of orange peel power (or cornmeal)
= leave it on for no more than 5 minutes and wash it off with warm water. You'll love the way your skin will feel.

I sometimes alternate between the lemon juice and yoghurt and I leave it on for no more than 5 minute. You will feel the tingle due to the lemon juice.
when u add lemon juice to milk it will change the texture so don't worry.

Let me know how it works out if anyone tries it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |