Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've been reading a bit about colostrum. Sounds like good stuff! Does anyone use it? In what form and where do you buy it. Thank you. Smile

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
ran across this today....

Basic Cold Cream

Cold cream is a woman's best friend… What follows is a basic recipe and yields about six ounces.

½ cup olive oil
½ cup water or hydrosol
2 tsp beeswax
1/8 sodium borate (cosmetic grade)

• Combine the beeswax and olive oil in double boiler and warm until mixture is completely melted
• While the wax mixture is heating, warm the water in another pot. When water is warm NOT BOILING slowly add the 1/8 tsp of borax into the water and stir until dissolved. Add this slowly because if the water is too hot, the mixture will erupt
• Once the wax mixture is melted, pour into the mixing bowl.
• Stir mixture on low to medium speed and gradually add the water/borax
• Blend until smooth and creamy. As the mixture thickens, you will see a trace on the top (like whipping up frosting.)
• Once the mixture has thickened and cooled, store in containers

You can add up to six drops of eucalyptus essential oil, tea tree oil and/or melted menthol crystals.

http://theorganicbeautyexpert.typepad.com/the_organic_beauty_expert/2008/06/recession-pro-1.html
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Question:
If I were going to make my own moisturizer with actives in it, such as: Vit. c, E, Ferulic Acid, ceramides, maxtyl 3000, ha, does anyone here have a recipe and what base would I use?
Is this even possible, do these things go together? Is it even a good idea?

One more question. I made a new batch of Vit. c, and it makes me itch. What is wrong with it?
AJ76

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

Does anyone have any good recipes for lightening dark spots (hyperpigmentation)? I have dark skin and every time I get a pimple it leaves behind a dark spot on my face that stays anywhere from 6 months to a year Sad . It's really upsetting.

Would appreciate any suggestions, especially if they're natural products. I'm currently trying to make my own skincare regime using natural products HOWEVER slightly desperate:-$ to get the show on the road so ALL recipes are welcome Pray

Thanks!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
Question:
If I were going to make my own moisturizer with actives in it, such as: Vit. c, E, Ferulic Acid, ceramides, maxtyl 3000, ha, does anyone here have a recipe and what base would I use?
Is this even possible, do these things go together? Is it even a good idea?

One more question. I made a new batch of Vit. c, and it makes me itch. What is wrong with it?

IMHO your better off using the C, E + F as a stand alone serum, and then making a nice moisturizer with the other actives you metioned.

Example: (C - serum)

15% vitamin C (L-AA)
1% vitamin E
0.5% ferulic acid
distilled water

The reason being, Vit C (L-Ascorbic Acid), needs to be at a PH of 3.5 or lower to penetrate the skin. Having vitamin C added to a typical moisturizer really wouldn't be *very* beneficial, because it would be almost impossible to keep the PH low enough in a moisturizing cream. Not to mention the extra worry of it oxidizing and causing more harm than good.

Off the top of my head, for the actives you mention, I would do something like this for the moisturizer:

60% base cream/lotion (personalfromulator.com has a good one with preservatives + emulsifier in it)
10% matrixyl 3000
10% ceramides/niacinamide
10% mixed beneficial oils divided (I would use; Emu, Avocado, Grapeseed + Wheat Germ
10% SKB

Then there is also the really easy option of buying a decent drug store brand i.e. Olay or even the CVS knockoff 'Olay', (I think it's called "Perfecting Cream" and has lots of Niacinamide and other nice ingredients), and add your actives to that.

With all that said, I just want to add, to anyone who is reading this, that I am most assuredly NO chemist, and the recipe's and advice I share, are purely my own opinion of what has worked for me. (I research what's out there, and then improvise to suit 'my' needs)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy” for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think I’ve got a winner here!!

FYI - I ordered my propylene glycol from this website: http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/ and this is the link to the brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought at my local Whole Foods: http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=372971285-18619&_ccn_test=1.

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

I want to make Vit C. I found the powder on ebay but cant find the crystals. Can you purchase this online? Also can you double or triple the ingredients to make a bigger batch? I wanted to use this more for my stomach/thighs
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:

I want to make Vit C. I found the powder on ebay but cant find the crystals. Can you purchase this online? Also can you double or triple the ingredients to make a bigger batch? I wanted to use this more for my stomach/thighs

Hi Thyckecutie,

you can buy the Vit C powder from a few websites mentioned here before:
bulkactives.com
gardenofwisdom.com
skinactives.com

I got mine from bulkactives and have no problem dissolving it in water.

you can definitely make a bigger batch using the same formula/ proportion. BUT pls note that the serum gets oxidized easily. so make sure u will use it up quickly!

have fun!! Smile

daydream
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:10 am      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:

Hi Thyckecutie,

bulkactives.com
gardenofwisdom.com
skinactives.com

you can definitely make a bigger batch using the same formula/ proportion. BUT pls note that the serum gets oxidized easily. so make sure u will use it up quickly!

have fun!! Smile

daydream

Thanks alot. I read somewhere that you should store it in the fridge? Is this true? Also how many days should Vit C last before it gets oxidized?
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Can I add DMAE powder into any of my products to tighten my tummy? Also to use under the eye area
Nemo!AtTheDisco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Aspirin Toner

What you need:

• 25-30 uncoated aspirin, crushed
• 6.5 ounce water (preferrably distilled or purified)
• 1 ounce aloe vera gel (optional)
• 0.50 ounce witch hazel
• 8-ounce plastic or glass bottle

What you do:

Mix all ingredients in the bottle and shake well. Let mixture sit for an hour or two to allow aspirin the chance to dissolve. Shake well before each use. After cleansing face, saturate cotton pad with aspirin toner and swipe pad over face and neck. Follow up with any serums and/or moisturizers, as desired.

I was looking to make something similar to this, but I was wondering if the Aspirin could be substituted for Papain & Bromelin Capsules. I found them at Trader Joe's, and instantly thought of using them for a DIY Enzyme product. What do you think, and how many would I use for an 8oz bottle?

[24/M/Fair,Blonde&Blue][Oily/Acne Prone/Sensitive][302 Skincare: 302 Cleanser, F&B Bar, Acne Mist, 302 Drops, Clarity][Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Glycemic diet + Regular Excercise + 302 = No More Acne] Smile
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:
daydreamingda wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:

Hi Thyckecutie,

bulkactives.com
gardenofwisdom.com
skinactives.com

have fun!! Smile

daydream

Thanks alot. I read somewhere that you should store it in the fridge? Is this true? Also how many days should Vit C last before it gets oxidized?

YES. u should put it in the fridge for a slightly longer shelf life. ppl said it could last for a week or 2 if u put it in the fridge.... but i found mine could usually last for a mth or so... dunno if it's becoz of the ferulic acid i've added?!
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone - have just joined after having read the whole forum! You've got some fantastic ideas and recipes - can't wait to start trying them out!

I'm 35 and from Wales, UK - have found it v difficult to get supplies here, it's so much easier to find ingredients and (especially) containers on american websites, just so pricey to ship out!

Anyway, thought i might share a few of my recipes with you:-

I've also tried the aspirin mask but will now experiment with using sugar and yoghurt for the lactic acid/glycolic acid. Thanks for the hints!

I also make my own version of ACV toner - at the moment, it's 1/3 ACV, 1/3 witch hazel, 1/3 strong green/white tea infusion. To that, i add lemon and grapefruit essential oil, plus a little peppermint to decongest my skin - which is uber-oily and v prone to breakouts. my skin looks sooooooooo clear afterwards.

Here are a few recipes i've not seen here yet:-

Non-petroleum jelly

1oz beeswax
10oz edible oil of your choice (i use olive oil)

Simply melt wax via microwave or double-boiler, then stir in oil, remove from heat and stir till cool. I use this as a base for allsorts - i add peppermint, eycalyptus etc to make a cold/chest rub, or i add chamomile, calendula and geranium to make an eczema salve for my boyfriend. Or i just use it to tame eyebrow hair, soften raggedy cuticles etc The possibilities are endless.

Another good one is my own version of biore pore-cleansing strips (it's not actually "my" version, i got it off the internet but can't remember where now)

1 tsp unflavoured gelatin (i think in the USA knox is a popular brand?)
1-1 1/2 ts milk

mix the ingredients and microwave for 10 seconds or so till warm and dissolved properly. Use either a cosmetic brush or (better) one of those plastic spatulas that come in the bikini-line kits (!) to brush the mixture on your chin and/or nose. Leave it to dry for ten mins or so, it'll get quite stiff. Then you just peel it off, along with all the horrible gunky stuff that's been blocking your pores! Sooooo much cheaper than the branded makes, which in the UK cost around £7/£8 (I believe maybe $12/$14 US dollars) for as little as six strips!

Hope you enjoy testing them out and that they work for you. i'm very much a beginner, so many apologies if the recipes don't suit your skin. i've only been doing them for my own personal use, haven't shared any before!

Nice to meet you all
Very Happy
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Oh, whilst i remember aswell - can any of you recommend a good website to order labels for finished toiletry products? I'm having a bit of an experiment with making some toiletries for my friends/family as christmas pressies (nothing too fancy, probs just bath salts/body scrubs/lip balms etc). Even though it's all homemade, i'd like the finished product to look at least look halfway decent! A UK website would be preferable (i notice there are a few UK girls on here), but an american site will do (more choice on american ones!).

Not sure if i'm googling with the wrong key words, but I'm really struggling to find anywhere! Brick wall

Thanks
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there teabags, and welcome to the forum..

Your recipe's sound fabulous! There is actually a thread floating around about alternatives to Biore' for blackheads, so I'm sure that recipe will be very popular. What a really great, affordable, alternative..

As far as labeling your gift jars, I have only ever used labels that I get from any office supply store like 'Staples'. I bet you could find great templates on the web though if you're looking for something a little fancy..... Just google "template" + "labels" and see what turns up.

Thanks for sharing the great recipe's, and welcome to EDS... Very Happy
deep_splash
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Darren's (aka: pbsadhaka) homemade Dark Eye Circle's Buster:

pbsadhaka wrote:
OK. Here is a gift to all you dark circled eyed gals out there. You asked for something to get rid of dark circles - here is a homemade Circle Buster recipe:

Go to your grocery store. Buy a box of regular, old fashioned unflavored gelatin (Knox, for example)
Take a small cup or bowl and put in 1/4 teaspoon of the gelatin mix. Add one Tablespoon of boiling water & stir for a minute.

Test it on your wrist to make sure it is not too hot. Then, using a cotton ball, pat it under your eyes as you would an eye cream or gel. Go lie down and listen to some music, or take a bath & let it stay on for at least 30 minutes. Then just rinse it off.

I worked in a day spa & this was our "Circle Buster" Treatment. Gelatin is very high in Vitamin K & Biotin. It will not remove your circles on the first application (but you will notice a difference), but if you do it daily for a week, and then 2-3 times a week for maintenance, you should notice a drastic reduction in dark circles.

The day spa where I worked charged $60 for this treatment (but they put rose petals on your eyelids), and it wasn't until after I quit, that I found out what was in those little white packets!
There you go.....enjoy! Wink

I sure hope this works, I sometimes suffer from dark circles under my eyes (not as noticeable as I wear glasses) but STILL. Thank you for posting, Kate.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
:Hi all and help!!! I have hyaluronic acid crystals, dmae powder, vitamin E, C and A. How can I blend them to make a serum, lotion or cream for my very old dry skin? I'm 56 years.
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 am      Reply with quote
i'm trying to make my way through this whole thread, a bit at a time, but... wow!

it's definitely giving me some mad-scientist-type urges!

thanks to everyone for sharing!

i'm wondering about acv-conditioner washing: is there any reason (other than the smellier-ness) i couldn't just use white vinegar? TIA.
batwhirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another solution for dyi vitamin c serums...because one of the issues with vitamin c serums is oxidation due to exposure to air I purchased airless pumps from makingcosmetics.com. They have .5 ounce containers for $3.20 and 1.7 ounce bottles for $3.90. My understanding is that they are reusable also...
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:42 am      Reply with quote
i think i answered my own (earlier) question about acv/conditioner washing.

i mixed up some white vinegar with water, a dollop of conditioner, & some EOs to counteract the, er... aroma. i am a BELIEVER. in just a few days my hair is shinier, has at least twice the volume... it's also more manageable, and i'm using less styling gunk. WOW.

about a week ago i was contemplating chopping about 5 inches off because my hair had gotten so unmanageable. conditioner washing has talked me off that ledge...
Dallara

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I'm new in this forum. I've been here a few months, read and think really interassante many topics. Now I decided to apologize to you to be notified. I hope I can contribute something.

-------------------
Greetz Christine
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome Christine! Are you thinking about making some of your own potions? Let us know your results and if you have any secrets to share!
fawnie

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Girl, I use Venom all the time! And I really need a lip exfoliant! Thanks so much!

Inky
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:26 am      Reply with quote
is DIY really safe for our skin?
i do not trust the raw material that i could buy in the market
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
flyflyonly wrote:
is DIY really safe for our skin?
i do not trust the raw material that i could buy in the market

Hiya fly fly

DIY is as safe for your skin as you want it to be. You can go as deep into DIY as you want really. For example, you can just do something as simple as using natural yoghurt as a face mask, sweet almond oil as a moisturiser etc. Or you can go the whole hog and make, say, a vitamin c serum using some really sophisticated ingredients like hyalauric acid (sure i've spelt that wrong!), vitamin c and peptides.

The main worry with DIY i think is preservatives. A lot of people switch to DIY to decrease the use of preservatives but, obviously, your product will go off quicker. You can get natural preservatives (such as vitamin e, salt, sugar etc) but these are never going to be as long lasting as chemical formulations. You can buy most chemical formulations on websites, if you want to use this option (such as all the parabens, germabens etc). If you prefer to use natural preservatives, or none at all, you just have to be careful to make smaller batches so that your product doesn't go off.

But, then, branded products don't last for ever either. They will all eventually go off if you leave them long enough.

Everbody is different. So, also, DIY has different results in different people. People with sensitive skin and/or those who cannot tolerate certain skincare brands will also find that they have to experiment with DIY to find out what works for them. What works for me may not necessarily work for you - but that is true of commercial brands and DIY equally.

There are plenty of websites out there that supply DIY ingredients in the correct formulations if you are worried about "market" products. However, no harm or damage will come to you by simply buying a banana from your local market, mashing it up at home with some yoghurt and using it as a nourishing face mask.

Indeed, a lot of people subscribe to the atonement that "you are what you eat". A lot of people do not believe in putting anything onto their skin that they wouldn't put into their body (ie, if it's not safe to eat, it's not safe to put on your skin).

Hope that may make you feel happier about trying DIY in the future. It will still be trial and error and there may still be DIY products that don't suit you but i don't think you can avoid that whatever.

The advantages to DIY are that you tailor make your own products to your exact requirements, it's more natural for your skin .......... and, you know what, it's actually damn good fun!!! Laughing

HTH

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
pinkheart_5
5% products discount

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 am      Reply with quote
AJ76 wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone have any good recipes for lightening dark spots (hyperpigmentation)? I have dark skin and every time I get a pimple it leaves behind a dark spot on my face that stays anywhere from 6 months to a year Sad . It's really upsetting.

AJ76,I hope this helps. For my knowledge goes all you would need for hyperpigmentation is any or many of the following ingrediants...
Niacinamide,Kinetin,Arbutin, licorice extract, viniferine(one of the components of grape seed extract).

If anyone knows any better ingrediants please comment.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |