Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
lugubriouswaifs wrote:
I dilute my ACV toner with a green tea/chamomile mixture and add a few drops of ylang ylang, lemon, and tea tree essential oils.

I didn't add any vitamin C to the mask and didn't put much ACV in because I know the strength can bother my skin. I might just leave it out next time since I use the toner.

Maybe that or dilute the ACV to half strength of normal with more water and test it out, the mask sounds like it is very good for breakouts. You might not need the ACV in the mix at all.

IMHO
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
A very dear friend who knows I love DIY emailed the following recipe to me just recently. I haven't tried it as of yet as I just got a list of goodies together to order. I just thought I would share for those who would like to try something new and different. 
The following will yeild just about 2 ounces of serum. 

3+3/4 Tsp Hazelnut Oil 
3+3/4 Tsp Jojoba Oil 
3+3/4 Tsp Olive Oil 
3/4 Tsp  Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
1/8 Tsp Vitamin E Oil 

Mix all oils together add the vitamin E mix then add the TA (vit. c)  pour into a dark glass bottle. I would store in the fridge just to be on the safe side! 

Enjoy
DM  

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Can anybody tell me some natural remedies to help my under eye puffiness go away? I am young and don't have wrinkles. However when I am tired in the mornings I usually get puffy and swollen(like bags). Thanks! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Reposting this here again LOL

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=522445#522445

HTH
DM

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Reposting this here again LOL

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=522445#522445
Wink Wink
live2act2

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Darkmoon. I am a new member here so I didn't want to look through 35 pages of DIY recipes (though they are all quite good I might add.) I am so excited that I found this website! I made my mother a homemade bath kit for Christmas and I stumbled upon this while I was looking for DIY recipes. Thanks to everyone who contributes, but especially you, DarkMoon and Carekate.
P.S. Sorry about the post above me, I didn't mean to do that. I just meant to do this.
KrazyKatLadyAUE
5% products discount

Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, and happy holidays!

This is my second foray into the wonderful world of DIY skin care. My first attempt was one of Kassy’s C serums – which, by the way, I love! My second attempt was my variation of one of Kassy's semi-DIY body lotion concoctions.

Here is what I put together:
- 4 oz Gold Bond lotion
- 1 tsp MAP
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp rosehip oil
- Ľ tsp glucosamine
- SKB (can't remember how much, maybe 1 tsp?)
- Essential oil, about 10 drops (used sweet orange oil)

I combined the avocado and rosehip oil with the MAP. In a separate glass I combined the glucosamine and SKB. I then added the MAP and oil mixture to the glucosamine and SKB mixture, stirred to dissolve everything, and added this mixture to the 4 oz. of Gold Bond lotion. I added the essential oil at the very end and mixed everything up.

I made this a few days ago, and the first day I tried it, I really liked it. It had a nice texture, great smell, and my skin felt great! Since the first day, the mixture has gotten progressively goopy. It has a strange pasty texture, and some liquid is separating from it. When I try to rub the mixture into my skin, it balls up at first. If I keep rubbing, it eventually absorbs, and feels great once it’s absorbed, but it’s a pain to apply it this way because it takes forever and is messy.

My question to the experts is – what causes this? Could it be the SKB and/or essential oil? Just wondering if someone could critique my recipe. I’d also like to know if there is anything I can add to this mixture to fix the problem.

(Edited to clarify that I did not add the essential oils until the end, in case that matters.)

Muchas gracias! Smile

KKL
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Krazy Kat, certainly not an "expert", but I'll be glad to give you a few pointers regarding the recipe..

1st thing is that 'MAP' and 'glucosamine' are both water soluble, so you need to dissolve them in about a TBS of distilled water.. You can then add this to the SKB once fully dissolved. Next, I would add this to the GB base cream, and then stir in each oil one at a time... (The base cream has the needed emulsifiers, which will help it combine, and also keep it from separating.)

The only other suggestions I would make is to perhaps reduce the essential oil to just 4 or 5 drops.. (Not sure if there are any hard and fast rules for EO's, but if it helps, I just use one drop per ounce as a rule.. I find more then that too overpowering, but that's just me..)

These little changes should help you get a smooth, creamy formulation.. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
live2act2 - The big DIY person here and for the past few years is Kassy. She has MANY recipes and wonderful concoctions - There are a very few other inventors and sharers of their own stuff on EDS But mostly we all just comment and dig around and share other people's stuff. Look for Kassy's threads - they will really help if you're looking for DIY - I've made her c-serums and they are wonderful and I get to share with friends too.
Carekate hasn't been on in a long while - she also had numerous potions that she shared - I even bought some of her items. Unfortunately CK hasn't been on in a long, long time.

Welcome.... I know you're probably learning lots and having a great time.

5% products discount

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
1st thing is that 'MAP' and 'glucosamine' are both water soluble, so you need to dissolve them in about a TBS of distilled water..

Kassy, thanks for that quick reply! Now that you mention it, I'm sure this is where I went wrong. And I too think that I used too much EO, so I will bump it down next time. Thanks for the advice!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Happy to help 'KK'... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I reposted the recipe because it's working for those who tried some expensive products without results, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Here are a couple happy campers

breezy42 wrote:
Thanks Dark Moon!! I could not believe the Circle Buster recipe. It's fantastic and so cheap (and to think it's actually a spa treatment). I like the cold cucumbers idea, too, as I just want something gentle for now.

Starlight wrote:
Thank you Vanilj and Darkmoon: I tried the knox gelatin and it is the most improvement I have seen in my eye circles ever. I am continuing with the eye tuck in week 3 and there is a slight change in my eye circles. When I combined the knox gelatin and then applied the eye tuck my eyes looked pretty good. This still did not eliminate the circles but I was able to wear my contacts without feeling self conscious.

HTH
DM
Very Happy

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:42 am      Reply with quote
live2act2 wrote:
Sorry Darkmoon. I am a new member here so I didn't want to look through 35 pages of DIY recipes (though they are all quite good I might add.) I am so excited that I found this website! I made my mother a homemade bath kit for Christmas and I stumbled upon this while I was looking for DIY recipes. Thanks to everyone who contributes, but especially you, DarkMoon and Carekate.
P.S. Sorry about the post above me, I didn't mean to do that. I just meant to do this.

Welcome to EDS live2act2. wave

Here is a link to the thread that DarkMoon was mentioning in case you want to read around the post http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=502069#502069 plus the Gelatin for dark circles thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14446&highlight=gelatin

As well, here is a link to the DIY Recipe index with all the recipes listed which might make it a bit easier to find stuff: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:19 am      Reply with quote
KrazyKatLadyAUE, 

I don't believe the essential oils are causing you any problems at all, the recommended amount is 10 drops per ounce and you are well below that amount! I am not saying to "bump it up" 
however you are well within acceptable limits with the total amount of mixture! 

HTH 
DM 

live2act2, 

Don't worry about the extra post it happens to all of us, if it does happen again you can use the report button above your post and a window will pop up, just explain what happens and the moderators will remove the post for you! 

HTH 
DM 
PS Welcome! 

KrazyKatLadyAUE wrote:
Quote:
1st thing is that 'MAP' and 'glucosamine' are both water soluble, so you need to dissolve them in about a TBS of distilled water..

Kassy, thanks for that quick reply! Now that you mention it, I'm sure this is where I went wrong. And I too think that I used too much EO, so I will bump it down next time. Thanks for the advice!

Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Guys! I love this website even though it is only my second day. Thanks for helping me learn the ropes. I have only read the first two or three pages and there were many recipies from CareKate. I hadn't realized she hasn't been on in while. I am so excited to start making my own makeup! What is a C Serum and Dr H? What is the difference between essential oils and fragrance oils? Question
I'm also leaving to go to Belize tomorrow and have very fair skin. I applylots of sunshine and stay in the shade, but I still manage to get fried to a crisp. Do you know of anything to prevent sunburn (other tan sunscreen) or something to soothe the pain? You guys are so clever I knew just who to ask!
Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:31 am      Reply with quote
live2act2,

Essential oils are natural, very potent essences of a plant usually steam distilled, Fragrance oils are synthetic as in man made. Dr Holland if that is who you are referring was a nick name somebody gave to Carekate! She isn't a doctor. C serums are facial serums made with Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)or one of the derivatives of Vitamin C. Try to avoid the sun, Aloe Vera gel is the best I know to soothe a sunburn, but wear sunscreen!

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:11 am      Reply with quote
What a hoot about the Knox gelatin Circle buster used at the spa. Does it help anything else? I may have to try it just to see what it's all about.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:32 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
What a hoot about the Knox gelatin Circle buster used at the spa. Does it help anything else? I may have to try it just to see what it's all about.

Sis,

You can use it just like Biore pore strips as well, just don't put it on while too hot!

HTH
DM
Very Happy

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys! This is a recipe I found a few days ago on the internet. I think it is great!

Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
• 1/2 cup ground oatmeal (not instant)
• 1/4 cup pure honey
• 3/4 to 1 cup (or to total saturation)
• Oil of choice - I use Jojoba or Grape seed
• 1/4 tsp Essential or Fragrance oil of choice (optional) Vanilla works nicely.

Instructions:
1. Mix the brown sugar & oatmeal together in a large bowl.
2. Now add the honey.
3. Drizzle the oil over the mix.
4. Mix well.
5. When all your mix is saturated and sinks to the bottom of the bowl and you have oil on top you're done.
6. Add your essential oil or fragrance oil.
7. Spoon the mixture into a eight to sixteen ounce bottle. (I am not sure which size because the bottle I used didn't have a label on it.)
8. Before you turn off your shower, scoop a small handful of scrub into your hand. Rub gently onto your skin. Rinse.

Shake well before using as the oil will rise to the top.

I am trying a new recipe for bath bombs-I will try to put it up in a few days if it works but I will be on vacation and don't know if there will be computers.
xoxo
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
live2act2,

Thanks for posting the recipe, it looks great!

A great place for free recipes including cosmetics, facial care, body care ect. is:

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

HTH
DM
Very Happy

Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys! On my search to find cases I found some pretty good websites. One of them is called Container & Packaging Supply Inc. This has alot of different cosmetic cases of a great variety. The other one,called DIY cosmetics, is pretty much this entire thread of the forum on one website. It doesn't have as many recipes, but it isdedicated to being eco-friendly and also has green containers of all sorts. I hope you check them out.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
live2act2,

Thanks! More fun places to spend money! LOL But we save so much with DIY! Smile

DM

live2act2 wrote:
Hey guys! On my search to find cases I found some pretty good websites. One of them is called Container & Packaging Supply Inc. This has alot of different cosmetic cases of a great variety. The other one,called DIY cosmetics, is pretty much this entire thread of the forum on one website. It doesn't have as many recipes, but it isdedicated to being eco-friendly and also has green containers of all sorts. I hope you check them out.

5% products discount

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I was hoping I could find some expert advice about some L-ascorbic acid that I bid for on Ebay. I bought it from a pharmaceutical company, but the product is old. They didn´t know for sure, but ventured to say it might be 20 yrs old! Yikes. Does L-Asc.acid go bad? I´ve opened up the bottle (plastic) and the crystals seem alright- sortof a bit yellowed, but I guess that´s normal.

I´m wondering if it gets more acidic or loses potentcy- or goes bad.

For the longest time I thought the Ascorbic acid you buy to ingest was the same you can use topically- but that´s incorrect, am I right?
TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a recipe for a Vit. A cream?
I would like to formulate the equivalent of Renova and I've been searching but so far I haven't found one.
Any help? Suggestions?
KrazyKatLadyAUE
5% products discount

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I was hoping I could find some expert advice about some L-ascorbic acid that I bid for on Ebay. I bought it from a pharmaceutical company, but the product is old. They didn´t know for sure, but ventured to say it might be 20 yrs old! Yikes. Does L-Asc.acid go bad? I´ve opened up the bottle (plastic) and the crystals seem alright- sortof a bit yellowed, but I guess that´s normal.

Hi there,

20 years, really? I wouldn't trust it, and I don't think yellow is a good sign. I think that might mean it's oxidized. There are more experienced DIY'ers who can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I got mine at Skinactives and it was pretty inexpensive. That is probably your best bet.

Take care,

KKL

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |