Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

is Dr. H's normalizing day oil soothing?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all... how's it going?

Those of you that Dr. H's normalizing day oil and those who are knowledgeable about his line: is his day oil soothing? As in soothing to sensitive, breakout prone skin?

Here's my deal: my dermatologist started me on a regimen of Tazorac (Retin A derivative) and Benzaclin (benzoyl perox and topical antibiotic) for acne (not applied at the same time of course!). My skin is starting to get extra senstive and red/itchy/irritated/stinging Shock . I was doing well with the SC phyto corrective before these meds (b/c I always have had sensitive and irritated skin) but it seems like I am requiring an extra comforting/calming soother.

Or any recommendations for another product to address my concern?

Thanks in advance,
amnis
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Yes it is very soothing. I mean it's all natural plant oils. my skin is too sensitive, but yet oily in some places, and i breakout very easy, ever since i've been using Dr H products I haven't seen a breakout. The N Day oil feels very good on the skin. you only need very little. Exclamation
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I second what skinprofusion says - I swear by this stuff. It sounds as though the Benzaclin is way too harsh for your skin, I've had this in the past and it made my my skin dry, flaky and sore.
almagarret
5% products discount

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm curious how much people use of the oil. I find that one small drop is enough for my entire face. I can't imagine using a whole bottle in 6 months!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I'm the same I've had my bottle for about 6 months and am only half way through it
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I usually use one squirt for my face and neck, but I find that I need more if my face isn't moist with toner. It is totally naturally and I find it very suitable for sensitive skin. It sounds like the products your doctor has given you are too harsh with chemicals, it'll be worth it for you to give Dr. H a try.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:57 am      Reply with quote
This may sound stoopid, but how big are your drops?? I use about 3 drops (1/2 a squirt) - any more and I have to wait ages before I can apply my minerals...
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
I find the Day Oil really soothing, I have skin that seems to be irritated a lot. I did use tretinoin for 4 weeks and while it exfoliated really, really well, my face just plain hurt the whole time. I expected it to go away but it never did and then I started breaking out so I stopped completely a couple weeks ago. I used the Day Oil on dry, red spots and on blemishes that were sore and it soothed the whole works. I only use a drop out of my sample bottle about the size of a lady bug, how's that for technical! Wink That does my whole face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, Lolli, a ladybug sized drop- amazing. Good to know that it can be as soothing as it is for our type of skin, thanks for letting me know. I am going to try it since I now know more good things about it.

About your trentinoin... is it "Retin A". If so, that may be why it is irritating you so badly. I tried to use it about 8 years ago and my skin hated it. I am using "Tazorac" in the lowest formula. It is supposed to be effective with less irritation. I used it 2 years ago but had to stop because I couldn't afford it. Now I have health coverage and I am back on it. Tazorac is the first Retin-A like med that I have tried since my bad experience with Retin A 8 years ago (I was also swimming every day at the time so that probably didn't help).

I started my benzaclin again (I was also on it 2 years ago) about a month ago and then added tazorac into my regimen about 10 days ago. At first I was applying the benzaclin every morning and the taz every other night. It was too much too fast so I slowed it down to every other morning for the benz and every two nights for the taz. Once I did that my face doesn't sting anymore nor is it as red. Just a little flaky but not too bad. I am going to increase the taz in a few days. When I used these before I didn't peel that badly or have too much irritation then either. I am hoping that by increasing them again I don't go back to the horrible stinging.

I think there's a trick to avoiding irritation with these types of meds (and you have to find what works for you):
-gradually built up your dosages (apply every two nights, every other day, and then every day)
-apply it at least 15 min after you wash and apply moisturizer to your face... the longer the better. I have always waited 30 minutes or more and that seems to suffice.
-don't use any other irritating products (like those with salicylic acid). Gentle is key.

Also, when you say that your skin started breaking out... that is what the medication is supposed to do (if you are using it for acne). Unfortunately you have to get worse before you get better (and I am waiting for my skin to do this and DREADING it). Apparently, the medicine purges your skin from your deepest skin layers and brings everything to the service to push it out.

OR maybe your skin just cannot tolerate it. In that case, go back to your derm and see if there is something else to try. Good luck Smile

-amnis
CharlieBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
this has been a staple in my closet for awhile now. I find myself reaching for it when my face is a bit irritated.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

pH Advantage Basics, One-Step Cleanser Fragrance-Free (236 ml / 8 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Clinical Concentrate Radiance Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Shir-Radiance Corrective Rx Wrinkle & Pore Minimizer (30 ml)