Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Prevage and skin rash/allergy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
livelyskin

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Prevage for about three weeks. Last few days I started using a sun protectant (made by Neutrogena) with it since Prevage comes without one, and I have broken out in a rash - red and itchy around eyes, cheeks, and lips! Yesterday was a really bad day. I washed my face and have left it "naked" and just hope this rash disappears soon. It only began when I started using the other cream with it.

Thought I'd share this with anyone contemplating buying or using Prevage. I will continue to use it on its own at night since I am unable to get a refund (got it off E-bay), and hopefully be able to use a separate moisturizer during the daytime with sunscreen. I have not yet seen a reduction of wrinkles or anything else while using Prevage on its own.
Blithe

Tue May 10, 2005 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I have also experienced a similar reaction to Prevage. I started using Prevage with a new moisturizer/sunscreen (Dermalogica brand)and on the ninth day I developed a very nasty facial rash (blotchy redness, hot, tight feeling, raised areas of skin and peeling). As of the second day the rash is not improving. I have been taking antihistimines and using Cortaid. Any suggestions? How long did your rash last? I would appreciate any information you might have. Any reaction to using the Prevage alone in the evening? Thanks!
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2005 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Blithe & Lively Skin,
Please be careful. Everytime I hear about this reaction or if someone is making their own idebone formula, I get nervous. I don't want to cause alarm just want to make you aware of the little bit I know.
Pure Deming was making a version of an idebone formula before Prevage came out. Some people had severe reactions to the product. Not alot..a small percentage..and the company finally narrowed this down to a preservative causing the reaction. But since this is a small company (Pure Deming)with most likely no scientific approach to the problem, I can't believe this absolutely.
So please just be careful and those of you who are thinking of making your own homemade version,keep your percentage of idebone low.More is not always better.
The reaction in some cases can be quite severe.
Okay enough! Just a note to proceed with caution. Smile
TerrionLI
5% products discount

Sat May 21, 2005 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Every time I hear the name Prevage - its bad news. I have a few friends who are 'skin technicians in spas and they HATE it! Sad sorry
livelyskin

Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
It took at least 5 days for it to clear up and I did not put anything on the face for that time, then I would apply my usual moisturizer. After a week I tried using Prevage again and so I stopped using it completly. What a waste of money
whiteflamesss

Wed May 16, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem with this itchy bumpy rash. I actually went on the internet to do some research and found EDS in the process. Smile
My rash was so bad I thought I had developed eczema on my face and chest. Crying or Very sad
Now that I see it's not me but the Prevage I'm a little relieved....though annoyed I spent all that $ for nothing but a bad rash.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
whiteflamesss wrote:
I'm having the same problem with this itchy bumpy rash. I actually went on the internet to do some research and found EDS in the process. Smile
My rash was so bad I thought I had developed eczema on my face and chest. Crying or Very sad
Now that I see it's not me but the Prevage I'm a little relieved....though annoyed I spent all that $ for nothing but a bad rash.

Hi flameless - Welcome! Just out of curiosity: were you using doctor's prescribed formula or the Elizabeth Arden formula? I've got the Arden formula and never had any problems..I don't think I'm going to repurchase though. Nothing in particular is turning me off the product; I just look "blah" after I apply it...I don't know, maybe I'm going through a skin transition of some sort...
pudoodles
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 16, 2007 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Recently I read that Idebone (sp?)and alpha lipoic acid are not compatible.
Are you using ala in a product that might be causing this reaction?
I think my source was Skin Actives for the info on the incompatibility.
hth
Kim aka queenpedauque
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
whiteflameless -- about a year ago I tried a sample of Prevage (from my dermatologist's office). Within hours my forehead was covered in little red bumps, so I guess there's something in that product that just doesn't agree with me. To be on the safe side, I stay away from Idebenone (sp?) products.

Hopefully you can return your bottle and receive a refund!

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I first tried prevage when it came out, also had an allergic reaction. It took a few weeks, but I had red scaly patches, esp. around my eyes.
Buyer beware, I think if it works for you, you can get great results, but many people are sensitive to it.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I mixed up some DIY idebenone in a simple rosehip moisturiser base just last night and now I'm too scared to use it after reading this! I had heard about some reactions but thought it was only rare cases.

Anyway, I did use it this morning and thought my skin looked good after. But I am feeling a little nervous now Pray
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
For skin rash immediate remedy :
http://www.seabuckthorn.com/index.html

I use seabuckthorn oil on my cheeks.
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I've heard about many Idebenone "victims". It seems many people have bad reactions to it.
stacey

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Help! The prevage I have started using is making my undereye area puffy and pink! I have huge swollen puffy wrinkles under each eye! Anyone know how to make this go away fast (obviously have now stopped using prevage!). Talk about making the opposite effect - this is ridiculous! Crying or Very sad
Kellinka

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I should have read all these opinions. The rash in my face after the second week of using Prevage looks tremendously bad and it is very itchy, I went to the doctor and gave me some cortisone, this was because it was not getting better with only Benadril. FDA.... Bad product! How can it be in the market? Kelly
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:38 am      Reply with quote
There are many people who love it and find it's great for them, Kelly.

However, I also had a very nasty reaction that took quite a while, including the use of steroid cream, to heal. So I do wish there were better and clearer warnings about the fact the Idebendone can cause such problems in some people included with products containing it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I have read that the rash can also be from what you are using with Prevage. Glycolics and Retinoids make your skin more sensitive to the Prevage.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:25 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have read that the rash can also be from what you are using with Prevage. Glycolics and Retinoids make your skin more sensitive to the Prevage.

I wasn't using anything harsh like that at all but it still made a heck of a mess of my face. It's one of those "Marmite" products, I think - you either really love it or really hate it. Wink
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I agree, Majorb. I am trying the Prevage. It has been 2 days and I don't have any reactions "yet". We will see!
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:09 am      Reply with quote
haven't used prevage , but used UNT PILATIS .1 idebenone serum , first 2 weeks lovely dewy skin even toned , then all of a sudden , I woke up with a RED ANGRY RASH , I have been using oral antihistamines and topical cortisone for 2 days but its getting worse, how long does it take to go away? please help
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:57 am      Reply with quote
nibn wrote:
haven't used prevage , but used UNT PILATIS .1 idebenone serum , first 2 weeks lovely dewy skin even toned , then all of a sudden , I woke up with a RED ANGRY RASH , I have been using oral antihistamines and topical cortisone for 2 days but its getting worse, how long does it take to go away? please help

Hi,

I tried to do a search to find the thread where I was suffering from the same thing as I can't remember exactly how long it lasted. Unfortunately, the search engine doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

However, I think I remember using Hydrocortisone cream (thinly) for almost a week. Please don't use it any longer than that as it will thin your skin. I think the itchiness subsided after a few days and my skin was looking much less red after a week.

Until you get rid of your rash, I would strongly advise you to avoid using any other skincare products on that area. If it doesn't significantly improve after a week - or gets worse, then I'd advise you to seek medical advice. They may be able to prescribe something more effective.

Best of luck. My sympathies are with you. I remember how itchy and horrible my reaction was.
havana8

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:05 am      Reply with quote
majorb, is this it? hmm

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27116&highlight=idebenone
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
thanks , guess only time will help
ryanscarola

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I work for Elizabeth Arden and use the entire Prevage Family - Face, Eye & Night.

If you are using a Neutrogena product (such as Neutrogena Helioplex 85 SPF), that's the WRONG sun protectant. Helioplex is meant for the body not the face.

Might I suggest you wait a couple of days/weeks until your rash clears up, and stay in the Elizabeth Arden product line, or any department store-quality brand of moisturizer with SPF. Rule of thumb: If you're between 20 - 35, use Intervene Pause and Effect SPF 15. If you're 50+, use Ceramide Plump Perfect SPF 30 moisturizer.

The Helioplex is NOT MEANT to be used on the face.

Cheers!

Rs
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
As I replied on the other resurged thread on the Prevage rash, I had the same reaction and returned it. I didn't use anything else with it and I still broke out with the puffy rash, plus I knew tons of friends who tried it with that reaction. It went away when I stopped using it, but it took a few days. I wanted it to be my HG and was so disappointed in my skin's rejection. But I also had friends who use it and have had no reaction, just fewer. I agree it's one of those that some people just can't use.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |