Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Hydroderm Instant Lip Enhancer (lip plumper)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2005 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
From the Hydroderm website: "Full, Sexy, Desirable Lips Without Painful Injections or Surgery

Hydroderm Lip Enhancer is the painless, easy way to plump up your lips – wherever and whenever you please. The Lip Enhancer is a lightweight gloss that you brush on to your lips.

Our Lip Enhancer works in two important ways: First, it produces an immediate increase in hydration, causing a noticeable swelling of the lips. Second, it has an instant effect just below the surface, so your lips get that “bee stung” look and stay soft.

$39.95 US"
http://www.hydroderm.com/hydro/index.cfm?action=skincare#lip

Ingredients:
Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Methyl Nicotinate.

The two first are silicones I think, I don't know what the last one is.

I got mine on eBay for $20 plus shipping.

I was going to give it more time but the irritation and redness appears to be getting worse. The consistancy is really, really thin, like a serum, no scent that I could smell or taste. It does plump my lips, I measured before and after and noticed 2 centimetres increase in my top lip after 20 mins. But, it's incredibly drying and for about 30 -60 minutes after I apply it, the area around my lips gets really, really red and irritated. It's not pretty. Sad

I will not repurchase. I wonder if it would be better with a moisturizing ingredient added? Annette

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2005 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
You are correct - the first two ingredients are silicone oils. Methyl nicotinate is the ester of nicotinic acid. It is the alcohol component of the acid branch form of Niacin. It is a known skin irritant & vascodilator. It causes intense erythema (skin reddening & swelling) upon topical application. I have never used this product, but I would imagine it would be the equivelant of a bad sun burn or bee sting on your lips. Hmmm...sounds like fun. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2005 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Darren, I should have asked what you thought before I bought it and/or listened to the ladies it hasn't worked for. Sad I am worried it will get even worse so I won't use it again. FLUSH! That's my $26 going down the drain...

I find it strange that they say it addes moisture, I can't even describe how dry it makes my lips!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2005 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli,
Sorry to hear your dilemma. Is there any way that you can return it? If not, you could always drizzle it around the perimeter of your picnic blanket to keep the ants away. Laughing
Sorry...I'm not laughing at you. Just trying to bring a little levity to a bummer of a situation. Look at the bright side - at least you only paid $26. It could have been a lot worse.
Wink
Darren

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2005 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Lolli Sad Don't feel too bad. I am a sucker for all this stuff too. Guess I was in a buying mood last week. I ordered a product Lipbloom. http://www.liplush.com/default.aspx I got the cream and instant plumper for $29.00.After I ordered it I noted there was no telephone number or address. What a idiot I was. Bad Grin I already have full lips but guess I just have this thing about testing lip products (they do shrink a tad with age) Rolling Eyes . I did send them an email from the form to fill out from their website. They answered me and said it was on the way (I sure hope so). Never buy from a website until you read all their contact information. Mad I read about this product somewhere on the forum.

I hope pbsadhaka reads this and tell me about the ingredients in it.

When will I learn. Question

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2005 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
LOL! I'm laughing too, Darren! I can't return it but you are right, it totally could have been worse! $26 is pretty tame. Smile

Winnie, I've seen your lips, they are so lovely! Mine too are full but I would like my top lip to be as full as my bottom. Rolling Eyes I sure hope for you, Lip Bloom is on the up and up. I can't wait to hear how it works. I'm glad I got my Hydroderm on eBay and not from the company, what a mess they appear to be!

Have you tried Lipfusion, I got mine today and it plumps right away, actually moisturizes and doesn't irritate, so far so good!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Winnie,
I checked out that product, and most of the ingredients are just components of the emulsion, some calming herbs, vitamin E, and the effective/active ingredients look to be Niacin & Cinnamon Oil. Niacin is a vascodilator - it causes "flushing" of blood to the area where it is applied. Also the cinnamon is a dermal irritant that causes redness & swelling. But it is the last ingredient (even after the preservatives), so it shouldn't be that irriating - probably more of a flavoring than anything. This formulation does look less irritating than the one that Lolli used - hers had no emollients in it whatsoever. So that's the good news.

The bad news is this - did you take a close look at the before & after pics? If you save the page & open it up in Photoshop & enlarge the page, you can see that the before pictures show either bare lips (no lipstick) or lipstick applied within the lipline. The after pics have lipliner & lipstick applied way outside the lipline. This creates the illusion (at least at a distance) of fuller lips.

I'm not saying that this product won't help plump your lips a tiny bit, but you're not going to get the type of results that you see in the after pics unless you really overdo your lip liner & lipstick. At least it has a money back guarantee - if it is too irritating to you, at least you can send it back.
-Darren

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Thank pbsadhaka!!! Your awesome. BTW when you read the guarantee there are guidelines to it. I certainly wouldn't be bothered.

Thanks again,
Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Fortunately, I bought my Hydroderm from GNC! I had actually already packed it back up and dug out the receipt to take it back before I ever saw this post this morning! I’ve given it two weeks to work, and it did nothing other than make my lips incredibly dry – no redness or irritation like poor Lolli, thankfully! GNC has a 30-day money back guarantee, and today is Day 29 so back it goes.

BTW, at the same time I got the Hydroderm, I also bought the “Simon Solution” lip plumper (the one that Pam Anderson endorses), which is also being returned. The lip plumping balm is actually pretty nice in terms of hydration/moisture, but it didn’t give me any plumping at all. Since I can (and have!) make my own pretty nice lip balm, there’s no point in keeping this stuff.

I think I’m going to give up on trying any more lip plumpers for a while and stick with my tried and true HA/collagen supplements and LipFusion. I had run out of HA/collagen pills about a month ago, and I didn’t reorder any more since I wanted to give the Hydroderm and Simon stuff a chance to work without any ‘assistance.’ Within a couple of days of stopping the HA/collagen pills, my lips instantly returned to their normal size (which is pretty full, but I’m a greedy wench and always want MORE!!), so my test of both Hydroderm and Simon was pretty objective, I think....

Anyway, fortunately, my new bottle of Source Naturals HA/collagen supplements arrived yesterday (I ordered fromwww.iherb.com – great prices and my box arrived in *two* days, I highly recommend this website!!). I immediately popped three pills last night to jump-start my lips back to their fullest glory and when I woke up this morning, I was not disappointed!

So the moral of this story is: give your wallet a break and stick with what works.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Cool, Carrie! I too have just tried Lipfusion and am liking it a lot. It's moisturizing and I have noticeable plumping even with only 24 hours use, I will post my progress soon. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli,
Well that's good news about the Lipfusion! Please do keep us posted! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie are you still using City Lips? Mine is about to run out and right now I'm using it at night, 1 HA capsule a day (collagen 300 mg, HA 45 mg) and Lip Fusion. As I'd mentioned before in a previous post buried somewhere in your "Eureka" thread, the three treatments are working wonders Very Happy
What I'm wondering is, are you getting the same effect without City Lips? Of course I could increase my HA intake to 2 capsules a day to compensate for the City Lips piece, I guess Think

Anya
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |