Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Recent brush with fame....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Guess who I met yesterday? (Of course, my fellow American EDS members will probably be the only ones who understands the significance of this...) I was having lunch with my team members from work and we went to this Mexican restaurant (being from TX and all Wink ), when we see this crowd of people around one of the tables. Being naturally nosey, we walked over and who should we spy? (Former) President Bill Clinton! He was in town for a book signing and stopped at Nuevo Leon for a plate of fajitas. He did have a Secret Service security detail, but there were no (female) aides or interns wearing blue dresses! :twisted: We shook his hand and chatted for a moment. He’s lost a *lot* of weight since his (heart) problems, but he’s still a very compelling man – not goodlooking in the traditional since, but attractive, nonetheless. Even if I didn’t agree with his personal life – it was none of the American public’s business, something that should have only been between himself, Hilary and Chelsea – I still respected the office, if not the man himself, so it was still a thrill for me. But not as thrilling as the day I happened to end up on the back-side of the Austin airport (streets were closed and they had all kinds of detours for security reasons because Clinton was in town back during the 2000 election campaign, were he was in town for a democratic fundraiser) and suddenly found myself gazing at Air Force One, which was parked alone on a tarmac on the (unused) part of the runway. Oh my God. I’m not ashamed to say that it gave me goose bumps, looking at the 2nd most visible symbol (the first being the White House) of my country’s power and presidency!

So anyway, that was my recent brush with “greatness.” So...anybody else have a story to tell? Who have the rest of you met? C'mon, share!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 5:24 am      Reply with quote
First of all, I just have to say that I have always and still have a crush on Bill Clinton. He isn't the most attractive man in the world, I know... I can totally understand how thrilling it would be to meet him.

Anyway, not nearly as exciting, but I met/saw Adam Sandler in Toronto at a patio bar. He was just relaxing and having some drinks, so no one really bothered him. Bizarrely enough, I find him mildly attractive also...he makes me laugh Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Wow that's some claim to fame Carrie - Bill Clinton Shock

Adam Sandler is kinda cute as well I suppose in a funny sort of way!!

For me it's mainly been people performing at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre as it's near where I live.

I have met Prince Charles and had a snoop in his helicopter (not quite as awesome as Airfore One thought!!).

T x
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I would love to have my picture taken with Bill Clinton and even more so with George Bush, we are all avid followers of both English and American pollitics (me, the boyf and all his family). American politics are just hillarious, my father in law loves George, he always makes us laugh Very Happy
Well up here we are always seeing the Manchester United football players, when my boyf was a kid he lived for a few years near one of the players and this player was always having parties, my boyf would get tons of autographs and the sell them round school!!!!
Always seeing members of coronation street (soap on TV) a couple of them live up here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I went to school with Bryn Terfel (the opera singer) and when I got expelled and was sent to school in Leeds Damien Hirst was in my class as well. I would like it on record that he was a nice boy as well Very Happy

I've been hung in famous galleries as well (if that makesme famous!)

I also sat on Amos Brierlies lap during the queens silver jubilee party on emmerdale farm Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 8:09 am      Reply with quote
This wasn’t a *recent* brush with fame, but...my most thrilling moment so far was when my best friend introduced me to my idol at a pre-race party at the 1993 Formula One Grand Prix of Montreal (I’m an open-wheel racing fanatic and a snob: F-1 and IndyCars, none of that Nascar crap for me!!).

My friend’s brother had been a teammate of his at Team Lotus the year before he died, so my friend had stayed in pretty close touch with my idol over the years. When she found out I adored him, so arranged for us to attend the race, get paddock passes, and attend a bunch of the pre-race festivities. It turned out to be prophetic for me, as my idol was called in (seemingly innocuous) crash during a race the following year at San Marino. Who am I talking about? The late, great Ayrton Senna.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 8:22 am      Reply with quote
P.S. Living in Austin has it’s advantages, because a lot of celebs spend down-time here, or they’re here shooting films. At various times over the past few years, I’ve run into Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConnaughy (sp?) – actually, I just met him a few weeks at the Austin Film Fest during the SXSW music conference in March, but they don’t count because both Sandra and Matthew are Austinites – Quentin Tarrintino (sp?), Dennis Quaid (Meg Ryan’s ex), Russell Crowe (that man has got the sexest voice – I don’t mean his accent, but just the timbre of his voice – it makes my toes curl whenever I hear him speak), Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith, Benjamin Bratt and Julia Roberts (when BB was in town shooting “Miss Congeniality” with SB a few years ago). God, I can’t remember who else. There’s also a bunch of famous American and Brit musicians who call Austin home, that I’ve run into at one club or another over the years, but I can’t even begin to remember all of them.

Most of the time, it’s just seeing these celebs at restaurants or clubs, so it’s not that big of a deal unless you actually get to speak to them and get a photo or autograph. That’s why meeting Bill Clinton was such a thrill, because he actually took the time to speak with us, and the way he talks to you...he’s so charming (part of the reason he makes the ladies swoon!!) and he gives you his complete attention when you’re speaking, which makes you feel like he’s genuinely interested in what you have to say and it sorta makes you feel like what you’re saying is really *important* to him. I don’t know, there’s just something about Bill Clinton that’s really charismatic and compelling – I don’t blame Faith for having a crush!

You know, I actually told Clinton that he should have amended the Constitution so that the American people could have (tried to) vote/d for him for another term! He just laughed and said, “Well, you know, I tried...” and then he grinned that impish grin! It was enough to make a girl swoon....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 8:58 am      Reply with quote
carekate my boyfriend is the biggest Formula one fan!!!!! I was never big on sport till I met him, now I'm glued to the F1 too. He was a huge fan of Senna, he has these jogging pants that he wears round the house, apparently Senna wore them all the time so he calls them his ayrton senna's Rolling Eyes . One day I am going to go and watch an F1 live, you are so lucky!!!!!
I quite like Montoya, it's so glamorous the world of Formula One Very Happy
Are you a society girl or something carekate??? Film festivals Laughing Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 9:24 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
The late, great Ayrton Senna.

Shock WOW!!! Shock
I've never met any of the F1 guys. Saw Mark Blundell stuffing his face in a local Thai restaurant about a year ago.
I've been to a few practice sessions at Silverstone but didn't bother to go autograph hunting.
Also went to a Minardi Open Day at Donington Park a few years ago. Saw Fernando Alonso close-up. He is really quite stunning when you get close to him (except for his huge eyebrows).
I've been to the British GP twice and was actually lucky enough one year to get into the Ferrari hospitality area. The company I was working for were doing some graphics work for Marlboro and as they are the main sponsor I managed to blag myself in. Didn't meet either of the drivers though (Schumacher and Irvine at the time).
Have been to the Grand Prix Party at the Albert Hall a couple of times too. Sat right at the front so got a good view of all the drivers. I am always amazed at how small they are.
Oh, I made a trek to Woking once to see Mika Hakkinen do his lap of honour into the town square when he won the World Championship in 1998. He appeared to be quite skinny but a lovely guy. Wish he was still in F1.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
F1 drivers actually have to be small to fit in the cockpits of the cars, plus any extra weight they carry translates into lost speed out on the circuit! There was a study done back in the early 90s that found that each 2.2 kg that a driver weighed translated into a loss of a few hundred feet per second (and we know that most of the times, F-1 races are won and lost by anywhere from 10 seconds to a 1 ½ lead!), so you can see that’s really significant.

I don’t know if any of you remember the legendary feud between my beloved Senna and the little Frog, Alain Prost...? Prost actually had a built-in 20-second lead on Senna everytime he got in the car because he weighed less than Senna. Which makes it all the more remarkable when Ayrton was whupping his ass to the tune of 1 ½ to 2 minute lead in some of the races, or when Ayrton had to start from the back of the grid and climb his way to the front to win, such as at Suzuka when he won his first championship in 1988 – in the rain!!!!

Oh God. It’s been over ten years, but sometimes I still can’t believe his gone. You have no idea how much it KILLS me that Scummi (sic) broke his record of wins and has won more championships then my Ayrton. I truly believe that had Senna not been killed, that he would have gone on to set records that were untouchable.

If you guys are thinking that it’s strange that a girl could be so passionate about the sport of motor racing, I’d just like to say that I attended my first IndyCar race when I was six years old. I got to sit in the cockpit of Tom Sneva’s car (former Indy 500 winner) and meet the Unsers (my ex-dad’s company was a sponsor at the time, so he got us paddock passes for the practices and qualifying sessions of the 1974 California 500 at the old Ontario Motor Speedway). From that moment forward, I was hooked! I loved the sport so much that when I was growing up, it was my ambition to be the first woman ever to win the Indy 500 and the F-1 World Championship – in the same year!!! Needless to say, that dream hasn’t come true, but my love for the sport has never waned. There’s nothing in the world like the smell of methanol in the air and feeling ground rumbling beneath your feet from the hundred-thousand watts of horsepower when all of the engines kicked to life and hearing the screams of a V-12 engine as at throbs to life and strains to be unleashed while waiting for the green flag to wave on a standing start....

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Smile
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I was in Paris this past January and we were walking up from the subway steps to our hotel. There were a crowd of ppl, police and "anticipating" - so of course, we had to ask!

The police said Leonardo DiCaprio was coming for the premier of his movie Aviator. OMG!!! It was about 5:30 pm and they said he was coming at 8:00 pm. Hmmmmm worth the wait? Flashing back to those sweet blue eyes in Titanic- answer is YES....sort of...Then thinking hmmmm, our video camera is completely out of battery with all the sight seeing....our hotel is only about a 10 minute walk away. My husband tells me to go back to the hotel and rest with kids, and he will wait and get a good spot and take a picture. I DON'T THINK SO!!!

I then decide for us, we will go back to the hotel - charge our video camera and come back. Only problem is we have a dinner date with family friends at 8:30 - that should be ok - a 30 minute leway. Well we go back to the theatre around 7:30 PM to see a larger crowd. My kids are tired and exhausted, and the lil one has fallen asleep in his stroller. My husband finds his way to a tall spot for a good video shot, and my make my way with the kids to a small opening of a side shot view of the red carpet. As the time gets closer and closer...I find myself getting a bit mmore squashed, and of course my kids are griping, complaining(7 yrs and 9 yrs) and fighting with each other. The guys behind me are from London and feeling pathetic for waiting in a crowd for Lionardo, and I told them what about me? I'm in my 30's and here with my kids!!! We all had a good laugh at how pathetic and star crazed we were. We were laughing and joking at all the ppl we did not recognize but knew must be important because their pictures were taken, wondering if Leonardo was amongst them. Then my daughter starts crying...I'm getting squished...AAACCCKKK - delimma - kids or Leonardo??? I told her please bear with me a few more minutes, they will look back to this moment when they realize who they saw and be thrilled with the memory - of course there was no reasoning with a 7 yr old - who could care less. Well naturally Leonardo was late and 815 became 830 and my kids were getting difficult. I was thinking hmmm what about the friends we're going to meet at the hotel - should I make my way back - have no idea where hubby is. I'm left with no choice and relieved kids to head back to the hotel. I meet our friends who had been waiting for quite a while, wondering when hubby would make it back. Finally 15 minutes later he makes it - and he got it all on video. SIGH that was the closest I could get to Leonardo....Funny thing is all the nobodies were showing up in limo's and Leonardo came out of a Dodge Caravan Van!!! Hubby almost missed the video. He waved to the crowd briefly and went in...

Well I still enjoyed and had fond memories of my closest red carpet experience!!!

I'll write about our experience with President Bush when everyone's eyes have had a rest from this long, novel like post. Sorry....

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well, this isn't recent....it was while I was in NYC going to school. My buddies and I decided it would be fun to ty to get in the audience of Late Night with Daivd Letterman. While waiting on line Paul Schaffer came out and hook our hands and chatted for a minute. He was very nice.
We never did get on Late Night, but we did get in the audience of Phil Donahue. I got to shake his hand and talk to him when I decided it would be fun to get on TV. I raised my hand during the audience particiaption part of the show and imagine my surprise when he actually came an grabbed it and asked me to stand up!!
Oh, and I don't know if this counts, but Bob Mackie(fashion designer)came to my school(F.I.T./NY)and gave my class a private fashion show. It was incredible. The models were these beautiful amazonian creatures. Very cool.
Kinda lame, but that's all I got!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
i'm not sure if you guys knwo this but the lord of the rings movie trilogy was shot entirely in new zealand and they decided to have the world premiere for the final film in wellington (where i live).

now, i'm not usually a groupie but this was a big deal for wellington so my friend and i decided to go all out and be total groupies for the day (just to get a look at viggo mortensen mostly). so we roll up to where the bit parade/premiere is going to be held at about 10 am (the thing is due to start at like 5pm). the entire city has pretty much come to a standstill because firstly, it's not a big city (like 275,000 people) and secondly because the parade is going to wind through the whole inner city area. even our prime minister is involved!

anyway, so here we are standing in the middle of one of the major streets in town and there is nothing going on but there are heaps of people there being just a insane as we were!

so, to cut out the next 6 hours, we are practically at the front of the HUGE crowd of people and we see EVERYONE come past - liv tyler (very beautiful in person and very tall), orlando bloom (swoon - very tanned and looking very hot), elijah wood (very petite, really small but beautiful eyes), peter jackson (the director of the films and wellington's favourite son), viggo mortensen (omg, soooo hot, so hot, SO HOT!!!) etc. etc. plus a whole lot of new zealand celebs, the prime minister looking great in a fantastic new zealand designed outfit and a chain mail kind of shawl that the lotr guys had made for her (how cool is that, our prime minister turns up wearing chain mail!!!) and other politicians trying to ride the lotr wave (dodgy)...

as all these people are passing we turn into total crazed fans, screaming and yelling "viggo over here over here".

more importantly though, we know we've been part of a really important event in wellington and new zealand's history. the best time ever!

got home after standing up for 7 hours, hadn't had anything to eat or drink and sleep for about 15 hours... dreaming of viggo...

Kiwigirl.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Dom Delouise was at the mall near my house doing a cookshow thing...i was by a store and he walked by, waved and winked at me. That man is very cool...gotta love the movie 'Fatso' Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I met Arnold Schwarznegger in the elevator of the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver...as well as Wayne Newton (how funny is that?!) and Tony Orlando AND Dawn (*gales of laughter*) at a fundraiser in Toronto! Oh yes - and Vicki Lawrence at the Doral in Miami - that was kind of a kick for me because I used to *love* the Carol Burnett Show!
Pudoodles
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I can't recall any personal brush with fame. Growing up I always loved my father's stories of FRANK SINATRA. My dad grew up in Hoboken, N.J. and was in the same class as Frankie. Shock My uncle had a band in HS and was one year ahead of my dad. Frank Sinatra played in my uncles band. My grandparents did not approve of Frank when he would come over their house (they were extremely strick with their children). So to make a long story short Dad had so many stories to tell us. My Mom and her sister's also met him several times. After HS they drifted apart. My Dad's sister has some pictures that I am anxious to get my hands on. Would love to pass these pictures on to my children/grandchildren. Auntie is kind of selfish with her pictures. Bad Grin

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2005 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot I was in the elevator with Ziggy Marley - but had never heard of him before so didn't really even know which one was him at the time.

My friend's friends were groupies and we all went to an INXS concert and they wanted to meet them. So we went to the hotel where they were staying looking for INXS. Instead we ran into Ziggy Marley and a couple of his band members in the elevator, they had opened for INXS. Ziggy was well stoned and in a daze(shocker, I know!) The drummer had a new pair of tennis shoes out of a box, he was showing us and invited us to their room.....uhhhh no thanx we said. Now looking back, I think how stupid it was to go to the hotel - knowing what groupies tend to do....I was quite naive then - what was I thinking, that they would just say hi and give us autographs?

Shook Leno's hand at The Tonight Show.

Met President Bush, took pics with him and the kids with him reaching down and hugging them - later to find out all the digital shots were already used and nothing was on there!! My hubby had borrowed a coworker's camera standing next to us, and clicked away not knowing about the camera. SIGH... My kids could have once again cared less, they were busy fighting over who gets the rocks they found. so in the end, we had to settle for about 50 pictures of air force one at different angles!! On top of it, my husband was standing there with the coworker's camera and asked the security guy(he knew him)," Can I stand here to get a good shot of him?" He looked at him, and said "I know you didn't just say that?" My husband looked perplexed and then realized what he had said - and said "with the camera". Thank God he worked with the security guy and knew him Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2005 2:09 am      Reply with quote
My most recent brush with fame:

About three months ago I was wandering through downtown, and stopped into my local MAC store to browse the make-up displays.

As I was standing there pondering the lipstick shades, I happened to glance to my right and who should be standing beside me but...Goldie Hawn!! It was actually her voice I recognized first - then her blue eyes.

She seemed very absorbed by the display & was accompanied by a young woman who seemed to be an assistant of some sort. She was trying on different lipstick shades and the salesperson was busy fetching various products for her.

I did not speak to her (too chicken). Instead I hung around the store pretending to be fascinated by the make-up while surreptitiously observing the star in my midst Wink (I suspect other people in the store were doing the same - no one approached or bothered her).

Anyway, she seemed relatively low-key & pleasant. Appearance-wise she was actually a bit taller than I expected (about 5'8"). She appeared to be reeeeallly sun-damaged & perhaps a bit - ahem... collagen enhanced . Let's just say the magazine photos you see are extremely kind and flattering.

My friend (who has also spotted her around town) and I had a good chuckle over her recent cover of Bazaar Magazine where she appeared all dewy & youthful Laughing My point is that women beat themselves up so much because of the media images they are exposed to. In reality, I think a lot of the stars good looks are due to the magic of Photoshop!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 7:00 am      Reply with quote
(Slightly off-topic, but I didn’t want to start a new thread just for this...sorry!)

Okay, I confessed to everyone that I’m a manic open-wheeled racing (F-1, Indy Cars) fan. Yesterday was “Bubble Day” for qualifying at the greatest race of them all, the Indianapolis 500. I was sorta half-watching the last day of qualifying when I glanced up at the TV and almost swallowed my tongue! They were interviewing one of the rookie drivers hoping to qualify – his name: Arie Luyendek, Jr.. For those of you who aren’t racing mavens, let me just say that the elder Arie is a two-time Indy 500 winner and was also named to People magazine’s list of the 50 Most Beautiful People back in the late 90s. Well, I’m here to tell you that Luyendek’s son is even more fabulous looking than his dad. Whoa, baby! I hope this kid ended up qualifying so I have someone to cheer/leer over next Sunday!!

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |