Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
bareMinerals gives me a rash, alternatives?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SpiceLMF

Sat May 14, 2005 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I checked through some old posts but couldn't really find anything specific to my problem. Well first, my skin is very sensitive, combination. I'm 19, so obviously zits can be a problem, mostly in my T-zone usually just big ones that come one or 2 at a time (1 will heal another will pop up).

I noticed that my liquid foundation which I used to cover up my blemishes was just resulting in more. My sister's a make-up artist so I consulted her as I really know nothing about make up. She suggested bareMinerals. I tried hers and absolutely loved it, I even got a bunch of compliments on how great my skin looked. Well within the next day or 2 this rash appeared on my jaw line and in the creases of my nose (also underneath my eyebrows after a second day of using BE). It was tiny little bumps that were only slightly red. They were really not noticible unless you looked very closely or touched. It didn't hurt, only slightly itched (although that may have just been because I kept on touching. I'm terrible when it comes to that) and made the areas feel somewhat dry. My sister was convinced it was something else I used so after my face calmed down I tried different cleansers and tried bareMinerals again.. within the next 2 days the rash popped up again.

Well basically, does anyone have ideas of what would cause this? I've read in a few posts that Bismuth irritates some skin.. could that be causing the rash? I've been sampling w/ my sister's BE kit, could it be that I'm using her brushes? Is there any similar products you can recommend for around the same price? I also need brushes like those that are including in the BE kit, so a product that would include similar brushes would be nice. I know it's pretty important to test the products, does anyone know where to get cheap samples.. i'm a college student so I can't really spend that much just to try out various products and then spend even more on actually buying the product.

Thank you so much for any responses! Hope I can get this figured out or find a good alternative.
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2005 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there! I'm fairly new to minerals myself, and have been using BE for the past couple of months and I absolutely love it!

It's unfortunate that you are having a reaction to BE and I'm pretty sure the most likely culprit is the bismuth. From what I've read, most women who react to it have had symptoms very similar to yours: red itchy bumps.

But don't worry, there are TONS of other companies out there that make mineral make-up and many offer samples you can buy for a minimal price. For a good reference, you can visit the Delphi Forum website, there is forum devoted to all kinds of different mineral make-ups (called mineralmania I think). From there you can research brands that are bismuth-free and go directly to their websites to order.

I haven't tried any brands other than BE yet, but there are so many tempting sounding colours & formulas, so I'm sure it won't be long!

Some other popular mineral make-ups you may not have heard of are:

Cory cosmetics
    Aromaleigh
    Monave
    Pure Luxe
    Bare-Faced Minerals

Can't remember which of these are bismuth-free but I know there are at least a few. The list goes on and on from there.

Good luck & have fun! Smile

Sun May 15, 2005 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much for the suggestions.. it looks like all those are bismuth free. It's funny I was so frustrated that I really loved BE but it gave me this terrible rash (which today has caused my eyelids to puff up, i'd describe it as "tired" eyes, doesn't hurt but they feel a bit lazy) and I thought I wouldn't be able to find another product that wouldn't do this to me. Now i'm finding there's almost too much to choose from! I've been searching around this forum and it sounds like others have experienced the same rash to to bismuth. So it looks like bismuth free for me.

I'm planning on buying some samples and right now I'm drawn to Aromaleigh Glissade and Pure Luxe Foundations. Both seem to sell nice samples (esp Pure Luxe which at 5 grams is I think bigger than BE's regular kit ones) It's amazing how marketing has effected what I may get. I may order Cory Cosmetics samples as they're 35 cents but their website immediately turned me off as it looks like a 5 year old made it. For now i'm just looking around, I'll be back soon to ask more fine tuned questions about each product and i'm going to attempt to check out the delphi Mineral forum.

Oh one question, I know some companies in addition to their foundation sell concealors.. does this mean that their foundation can't really be used as a concealor by applying it w/ a concealor brush (like you would w/ BE) or is it just for extra coverage?
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
SpiceLMF wrote:
Oh one question, I know some companies in addition to their foundation sell concealors.. does this mean that their foundation can't really be used as a concealor by applying it w/ a concealor brush (like you would w/ BE) or is it just for extra coverage?

I've got samples from Pure Luxe, Cory Cosmetics, J Lynne and BareFaced Minerals. I've been using the foundations as a concealer (applied with a small brush), it works fine.
Smile

Sun May 15, 2005 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:

I've got samples from Pure Luxe, Cory Cosmetics, J Lynne and BareFaced Minerals. I've been using the foundations as a concealer (applied with a small brush), it works fine.
Smile

great! I didn't want to have to spend money on the foundation plus the concealor.. although when If I get a sample of Pure Luxe foundations on ebay I believe I can pick 4 samples from their color line and may try out What Red? which would be nice on pimples and scars.. although I'll have to look around for reviews

Thank you all for being so helpful. Also Pure Luxe's You Glow Girl is described as a regular mattifying finishing power with an extra glow. It likens this glow to the glow you'd get w/ BE b/c of the Bismuth.. it looks very shimmery though.. has anybody tried this? does it glow or shimmer? i'll check around for reviews. thanks!
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Spice, you should be able to use your regular foundation as a concealer without any problem.

I think companies add concealers to their lines because of customer demand & as an extra selling gimmick Wink

The trick is to use a nice little brush to apply the concealer - one with firm taklon bristles is ideal. Just tap a little extra foundation on areas you want to cover and blemishes should disappear. I find it works better to sweep on a light application of full face of make-up and then go back over areas that need extra help.

Good luck with the Pure Luxe - I'd love to read a review once you try it as I'm very curious about this line.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hiya! Smile

I recommend Aromaleigh or Youngblood(I think this is bismuth free?). I know Aromaleigh sells sample sizes are reasonable prices but I am unsure of whether or not Youngblood does. You might be able to find a display near you to test them out in person. I've found that Youngblood is sold at a lot of plastic surgeons offices and other spas and such. Smile

Mon May 16, 2005 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks cheezwiz, yeah a concealor brush is what I used to apply BE so I may just get the BE kit for the brushes and sell the foundations. I'll definately write a review if I get Pure Luxe.. I'm hoping it is the Bismuth that was making me react as I've heard some people also react to Mica and other ingredients and even the brushes. While I never thought my skin was THAT sensitive, you never know.. and this rash is getting worse by the day Sad hopefully it will start clearing up.

Thanks kookykitty for the recommendation.. I checked for YoungBlood online and their line is a bit pricey for me at about 31 a jar (although I didn't look at the size)

I think i'll end up first ordering samples from Pure Luxe as not only do they have foundation at a reasonable price but they have other products i'd like to try (You Glow Girl, What Red) and I think it's a good idea to coordinate products (or at least at first, until I get the hang of this all).

I'll probably check out Aromaleigh and Cory too (or if Pure Luxe doesn't work out).
windance
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
...i thought it was just me who experienced the effrect of rash after using baremineral....i kept my brushes clean...and although they say that you can sleep in it..i cannot. i cannot wear it often because no matter what i will break out...trouble is that it provides everything i desire in a make up;natural yet beautiful concealing...i also noticed that the multi tasking product does a number on my undereyes and these days i am trying to get ride of the dark circles so this now becomes a setback each time i use it..i am also finding that my skin is changing which is something because there used to be a time i coul;d use anything....sigh,...i guess i understand aging now!
windance
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
also has anyone used a foundation along with the bare minerals and if so, how did it work
blackmamba
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I wanted so bad to love this product...I think some of the eyeshadows are beautiful and match my skin effortlessly...but I broke out in a rash too around my eye area. I can't handle mineral make up, although I love it! I found Lorac to be perfect for my sensitive skin!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I got rash from everydaymineral but not with Lumiere.
blackmamba
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Maybe I should try lumiere. Do they have a lot of eye colors?
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ive had success with everyday minerals...really love it. My favorite is Laura Mercier.
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
there are so many mineral makeup companies out there, and I am sure you can find one that works for you.
Check http://forums.delphiforums.com/mineralmania/start

Personally, I like Meowcosmetics pampered puss foundation and mineralboutique.com foundation with added vitamine E: the vitamine e is wonderful for my over-sensitive skin.
blackmamba
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks londonfan. I'll look into it. Sounds perfect for my skin's needs. Do they have a large selection?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |