Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Review: Jane Iredale Absence
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 11:53 am      Reply with quote
I had a hard time deciding whether I like this product or not. This is because it does not live up to some of its claims, and yet, it is a decent makeup base.

The texture is a white solid paste with a lot of slip. You can either apply it with the sponge it comes with (resulting in lots of dust and fibre particles which appear out of nowhere sticking to the product) or with your fingers.

The product claims that it goes on transparent. This is not so. There is a slight white cast due to the high titanium dioxide content, unless you apply so little you might as well not use it. The white tint is a problem because it lightens my JI pressed powder. (If anybody read my review on the pressed powder, I have since discovered that Bisque is a perfect match for my skintone, and Absence was the culprit in lightening the shade.)

I tested it over my oily sunscreen and it does not matt the shine at all, even when I gave it 15 minutes. However, what I like is that it really does not have an effect on moisture levels in the skin as the product claims.

The best application is actually over bare skin or very little layering of skincare products (otherwise things start to ball up). I don't find any special advantage with having it underneath my JI pressed except that it gives a nice smooth surface for the powder to sit on. I do get the same effect, however, applying the pressed powder over my usual dusting powder (T LeClerc).

Re oil control capabilities, my LeClerc powder outperforms this product by a mile, although using this product would probably control oil better than not using anything at all.

I actually e-mailed JI for the ingredient list. This is from them:

One of the active ingredients in Absence is hydrated silica, which acts like a liposome. The hydrated silica forms a sphere with extracts of green tea, pomegranate and seaweed attached to the outside. The inside of the sphere is loaded with seaweed compounds that are released by the action of body heat. These seaweeds not only help to reduce sebaceous hypersecretion but also help to regulate the pH balance of the skin.
The now empty silica shell begins to absorb sebum without affecting moisture on the skin! (Hydrated silica can hold seven times its molecular weight.) By encapsulating the oil, it forms a barrier between it and the makeup so that the wearer can stay matte all day. Absence should be part of the daily routine of acne sufferers.
We have also put UV titanium and micronized zinc oxide in this product to obtain a broad spectrum SPF 15. Although the product looks white in the compact it is transparent on the skin.
The aesthetic benefit of Absence, apart from oil control, is that it can be used as a primer for any type of skin. It literally fills things in making the skin smooth and ready to receive makeup. Remember, it has no affect on the moisture of the skin only the oil.
The sponge in the compact is MBR (Acrylonitride-butadient rubber) and not Latex.

Active Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 5%.
Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 2.5%

Ingredients:
Ethyl Macadamiate
Mica
Dimethicone
Isododecane
Hydrated Silica
Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax
Boron Nitride
Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)
Algae Extract
Laminaria Saccharina (Seaweed) Extract
Viola Odorata (Violet) Leaf Extract
Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract
Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract
Tribehenin
Bisabolol
Tocopheryl Acetate
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Bad Bird wrote:
(resulting in lots of dust and fibre particles which appear out of nowhere sticking to the product)

Same has happened to mine! Really annoying. Very Happy
Great review, Bad Bird.
I've not been overly impressed with the Absence. My mineral make-up actually goes on better when I don't use the Absence as a primer. It doesn't appear to do anything to stop my skin getting shiny during the day.
Still, after reading your review I think I will stick with the product because of some of the great ingredients like green tea, pomegranate, etc. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys, I was seriously contemplating buying that but I think I'll just stick with my Jurlique rose dust for now. My JI colour is perfect for my skin (Amber) and I definately don't want to use a base that's going to lighten it.

Thu May 26, 2005 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I've had (still do actually) the same problem with mysterious particles sticking to the JI Absence in the pot and making it look rather icky. As a makeup base though I have found it to be good and quite effective at keeping my makeup on on days when I don't get to freshen up in the evenings before heading out. I agree that it does have a white tinge to it but I've found that after a few uses I have learnt that less is more and I don't have that problem anymore. It tends to make my skin look matte more so than white.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I think I must be one of the odd freaks that Absence actually works really well for!

But the obnoxious thing is that if I use Absence alone without finishing off with the Jurlique Rose Dust, I'll get shiny mid-day, but less than without. If I try the Carekate technique and just use the Jurlique Dust, I'll get shiny, but still less than without. But if I use both together, I be rockin'! It's kind of my winning combination right now! Very Happy

The particles in the Absence do indeed suck. I had mentioned it briefly in another post about the product, but just to re-emphasize... NEVER wear a red angora sweater (or any fuzzy red sweater for that matter!) when applying Absence! Laughing That was a big big mistake!

I don't *think* that Absence has lightened my base when applying it (then again, I am pale and use very, very little.) But for those with darker skin, using more than just a thin film I could see being potentially problematic.
Girlzmommie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I'm new here (although I have been lurking for quite a while!!)

I thought I would add my 2 cents about Abscence - I was VERY disappointed with it.

Not only does it add color, but I felt that it did not do anything to help control my oil.
Neutral
Oh Well...
Mabsy

Fri May 27, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
-rusalka- wrote:
NEVER wear a red angora sweater (or any fuzzy red sweater for that matter!) when applying Absence! Laughing That was a big big mistake!

rofl Oh dear! I can just imagine what it looks like!

And you're not an "odd freak" or if you are then we're in it together Laughing It does work for me quite well. I don't have oily skin though so just the Absence will do for me without the Silk Dust powder. I love my Rose Silk Dust though.... I think I might use some tomorrow just to smell it Embarassed

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |