Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Mixing Active ingredients and different products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like the advice of some of the people out there who work on these products.

I know that certain products work best (or are only stable) in different environments (e.g. vit C at acidic conditions and peptides at more basic conditions because they denature at low pH). But what research has been done on the ordered use of actives? I know that some things help either actively or passively with penetration but might some things used together harm the action of each other?

I know Retin A helps penetration of other compounds and thus can have a positive interactive effect with many other actives but there are so many! Some products seem to throw everything in.
Co-enzyme Q
Retinol and Retinoic acid family
DMAE
Vit C forms
AHAs
BHAs
Peptides
Cu-peptise
Minerals
Other plant phytochemicals (e.g. green tea extract)
Estriol and progesterones
etc. etc. etc.

What should and shouldn't go together???
Might it be best to alternate single or groups of active components on a weekly or biweekly basis? Is anything known about this?

Thanks.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
The only 2 I know are:

- no retin-a and bp at the same time
- no vit c and copper at the same time

Also if using a low ph bha product, it is best to wait 30 minutes before apply other products. If you apply other product and raises the ph then the bha is not as effective.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
well, it really depends on the product you are making, it's use (desired effect) and the ingredients. From the list you gave, I would avoid putting the minerals & phytochemicals in with the vitamin C. I believe in a seperate vitamin c treatment, adding in other plant actives & especially minerals could accelrate oxidation. Also I would avoid putting a retinol deriviative in a formula with AHA's or BHA's could be too drying & irritating for many skin types.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is saturation vs absorption. When you formulate a treatment product, you want to keep the number of actives limited, and use them in high concentrations. If you add everything on your list into one formula, there is only so much that your skin can absorb & use before becoming saturated & not accepting any more.
If you are just adding these ingredients into an existing lotion or serum, you also have to take the oil to water ratio into consideration. If you add in a bunch of water soluble actives, for example, you may disrupt the o/w balance & lose your emulsion. This can either end up in a runny, watery product, or your emulsion might seperate.
What were you thinking of trying to make?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto - I'm curious too, since we all seem to be product junkies. I've often wondered, besides the compatibility of products, if the mere *application*, i.e. rubbing, of one over the other can diminish the effectiveness of lower layers. Bad Bird seems to be the guru of sunscreens and has commented extensively regarding degradation of active ingredients when used with other products, but I imagine the same principles may generally apply to all topicals. A simple approach could be to stick with one product line, if it can be assumed that compatibility is addressed when developing various formulae. But that's a tough rule to follow!!!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies so far. It was a general question based on products I've considered buying but seemed to contain "the kitchen sink". I also wan't limiting it to that list (I used Skin Eternal's Hyaluronic acid serum for example). I'm just trying to learn general info that isn't available in articles so few of these ingredients have been tested in peer reviewed publications. There are so many questions on how they affect the stability and absorbability of each other component but also on a cellular level whether they act synergistically or antagonistically. I have a few lines and am mostly interested in preventing sagging and jowls.

I've been very happy with vit-C (use Skinceuticals c-20 and Cellex C) and make my own both water base and oil based in aloe and vit E oil. I've also got DMAE liquid (food supplement) and have been wondering what to mix it with. In tests under my eyes it does seem to do good things in terms of the firmness of the under eye area (I've used it 2X/day under my eyes with grapeseed oil on top and using a pinch test the skin seems to bounce back rather quickly now). I have used prepared glycolic acid products. I now mix my own with products from The Personal Formulator. I do neutralize after 3 minutes and use an aloe/allantoin solution to because it is soothing.

I know it's very general but I've on;y been using these skin products for about a year and am learning as I go.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |