Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Read any good books lately???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim's_shadow
5% products discount

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have read a stack of books this year, but the most recent (and most funny.. especially chapter 6) was Kathy Lette's "How to Kill your Husband (and other handy household hints)"

My husband is worried. Very worried. Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Two of my all-time favorites are The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

I just finished David Sedaris's Me Talk Pretty One Day, which was hilarious and right now I'm reading and enjoying Athiest Universe by David Mills.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am reading 'I know this much is true' by Wally lamb....excellent, excellent book.I read 'the Pact' and 'my sister's keeper' recently...fantastic...I read a lot and have many favourites. I like John irving very much....especially 'A prayer for Owen meany'.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, Irving is great, "The world according Garp" is one of the best I've ever read.
There are some (few) skincare products they give you the "wow" - but this book gave me a big "wow" ...
I very much liked J.C. Oats in the past - but the last few books didn't "wowed" me anymore.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
My favorite that I've read recently is called "You Shall Know Our Velocity", by Dave Eggers. It is completely unlike any book I have read before. The imagery and precise, almost observant descriptions of (sometimes imaginary) places, people, events, thoughts...are so uncanny that during the time I was reading the book, when I wasn't reading it I was thinking about it constantly. It was so well written that it made me kind of ache with jealousy for that kind of talent.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I've run out of books to read and am craving one of those fun reads where you also get to learn about history at the same time, maybe through a fictional character who "was there" sort of thing. I generally like the female perspective. Anyone have an recommendations? Thanks.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:22 am      Reply with quote
pnw - Here are some that you may enjoy:

"The Far Pavilions" by M M Kaye (Set in mid-19th century India at the time of the British Empire. An Englishman, brought up as a Hindu, falls in love with an Indian princess he cannot have. Beautiful, epic, romantic and heart-rending.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0140048332/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks (Based on the true story of an English village in the 17th century that shut itself off from the outside world, sacrificing themselves, so they would not spread the great plague to others.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/184115458X/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"The Sterkarm Handshake" by Susan Price (A very evocative time-travel story, where a young woman from the future is transported back into the violent past of the English/Scottish Border Reivers.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0439978963/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"The Sunbird" by Wilbur Smith (Two books in one, really, where an archeological dig in Botswanaland reveals the long-forgotten tragic events in a lost, ancient city. Really does give you goosebumps!) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0330239481/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Not the End of the World" by Geraldine McCaughrean (An unbelievably dark children's book. Not really a history book, but a surely much more realistic re-telling of the Noah's Ark story, and very different from that in the Bible. The story stays with you a long time afterwards, and is a testament to women and girls who are left to pick up the pieces and deal with the consequences of the actions of men who believe they know best. Absolutely stunning!) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0192754327/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Maus" by Art Spiegelman (Astonishing graphic novel - in 2 parts, giving the account of Spiegelman's father's experiences during the Holocaust. I've never ever read a book quite like this one before. Everyone should read it, even though the events described are painful to bear.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141014083/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Shogun" by James Clavell (Incredibly and vivid depiction of 16th century life in Japan, as experienced by an Englishman, and based on a true story.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340766166/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Ragnarok" by Anne Thackery (Out of print, I think, but still available from certain places on the Net such as eBay. Worth tracking down, I believe. Recommended to me by a Welsh friend, bringing her and my own Northumbrian ancient cultures together. The story of Welsh Rhianneth who is used as a pawn in a Britain torn apart as the Old Ways come to an end, and the vacuum left by the departed Romans leads to what must surely be Ragnarok, the end of the world.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0553176587/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Private Peaceful" by Michael Morpurgo (Another very dark and poignant children's book. An English 1st World War soldier relives his life in memories as he awaits the dawn, when the firing squad is due to take aim and put a life to its end.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007150075/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

"Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo (The almost unbearable story, narrated by the broken mind and body of an American soldier who was blown up during World War One. One of the most effective anti-war books ever written.) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1853753246/026-8978985-9868417?v=glance&n=266239

Oh dear, I've just seen that put "fun read" in your post. Perhaps these won't be the most suitable then! Sorry, I tend to go for sad, sad stories. Embarassed
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Oh, majorb, thanks for that wonderful list! It sure beats civil war generals hashing out strategies and washington's great winter ambush! Can I come raid your bookshelf? Laughing
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
Yeah, Irving is great, "The world according Garp" is one of the best I've ever read.
There are some (few) skincare products they give you the "wow" - but this book gave me a big "wow" ...
I very much liked J.C. Oats in the past - but the last few books didn't "wowed" me anymore.

I dont know why but I didnt enjoy 'World according to garp' that much...actually i didnt even finish it...maybe I picked it up at a wrong time.....'A prayer for owen meany' was what had me saying wow.

Quote:
Hi everyone, I've run out of books to read and am craving one of those fun reads where you also get to learn about history at the same time, maybe through a fictional character who "was there" sort of thing. I generally like the female perspective. Anyone have an recommendations? Thanks

'The Red tent' by anita Diamant is a great book which has biblical(You cant get anymore historical, now can you? Smile ) characters and is written totally by a woman's perspective...while its not really a fun book...its a very very good read.....Check out the reviews at Amazon!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
pnw - It would take you years! I literally have thousands of books. Can't help myself; my name is majorb and I'm addicted to reading. Embarassed

I've thought of another series of books for you - these are kind of fun, time-travelling romantic stuff, but actually very interesting. By Diana Gabaldon and featuring an Englishwoman who finds herself transported into the 18th century Scotland when she discovers an ancient circle of standing stones. They have different names, for some bizarre reason in the US, and here is the first book in the series: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440242940/sr=1-2/qid=1154019180/ref=sr_1_2/002-6823835-0088816?ie=UTF8&s=books

mithai - "Owen Meany" is amazing. One of my favourite books. I'm almost in tears just thinking about it.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, majorb, I'm looking into it.....definitely on the right track of what I'm looking for.
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
mithai - "Owen Meany" is amazing. One of my favourite books. I'm almost in tears just thinking about it.

thats so true...I will never be able to forget that character....incredible..Through out the book i was looking forward to those Bold letters. It is such a sad story written in a humorous way. Our book club selected it once and while i couldnt stop raving about it ...most other friends just waited and waited to see when the book starts getting funny.... Laughing
blissgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
There are so many books out there!

I love anything by Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now, A New Earth) He is the real deal!

Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa is a beautiful book.

I agree that Fight Club is a great book, as well as the movie.

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot is mind blowing too. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Oh ja, The Sacred Path by Chogyam Trungpa - a truly wonderful book.
spa_cake
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath Bad Grin
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Philip Pullman(His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass).
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite book of all-time is "The Counte of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. The last book I read was "Running with Scissors" (heard they're making this into a movie) and I love anything by Patricia Cornwell.
blissgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
Oh ja, The Sacred Path by Chogyam Trungpa - a truly wonderful book.

Hi lin23-

Yeah, that book really helped me, it is so simply truthful. I also liked Cutting Through Spritual Materialism by him as well. Very interesting. Smile

Bella

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bella,

i didn't know the Spiritual Materialism from Ch.T. - so just ordered it from Shambhala. You also might be interested in :

G. Farrer-Halls : The feminine face of buddhism
L. Friedman : Remarkable Women
Isabel Hilton : The search for the Panchen Lama
Mick Brown : The dance of 17 lives
or books from Pema Chodron
blissgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
Hi Bella,

i didn't know the Spiritual Materialism from Ch.T. - so just ordered it from Shambhala. You also might be interested in :

G. Farrer-Halls : The feminine face of buddhism
L. Friedman : Remarkable Women
Isabel Hilton : The search for the Panchen Lama
Mick Brown : The dance of 17 lives
or books from Pema Chodron

Hi Lin23,

Thanks!

The feminine face of buddhism really interests me Smile

I have read some articles about Pema Chodron, but never and books by her, thanks for reminding me. Time for a trip to the bookstore!

Have a nice day,
Bella

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
am reading white teeth by zadie smith...

also recoomend anything by Jodi Piccoult - especially my sisters keeper (start with that one)

always make you think!
bella77
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
sorry - just remembered another one....

i also read lessons in calamity physics (think that's it) which was a much hyped debut... interesting but the style got to me after a while and all the action seemed to happen right at the end. the payoff wasn't as sweet as i was hoping. still for a first novel it's still amazing!

i would love to know what others think if they have read it.

i love to read first timers as I hope it will inspore me to get off my butt and write - always wanted to be published by 30 - better change that to 35 as I turned 30 a month ago!!!!
Mabsy

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Don't laugh, but I'm reading "Dis Information" - kind of like a printed wikipedia. So, basically, it's just a bunch of facts/stories about various things. Like, the fact that there are ~40 species of piranhas (means "toothed fish") some are vegetarian and only three types show any type of aggression. Hence, what we see in movies does not actually happen.

I have a feeling that this book might be targeted at um.... lower age groups Laughing But it's interesting.

Ok, now you know that I'm a geek Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Don't worry, Mabsy. I have a couple of really geeky books on etymology that I'm incredibly excited about starting to read - for fun.

A little geekiness every now and then is good for the soul. Laughing
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Ok, now you know that I'm a geek Smile

Oh dear, if you're a geek then I'm just shallow as I love paranormal smut books like Laurell K Hamilton (current Danse Macabre is on some top ten lists) oh and you have to try Kim Harrison (Dead witch Walking, The Good the Bad and the Undead,Every which way but Dead and the latest A Fistful of Charms). I may have books on philosophy and religion, well, and psychology, but for the fun of it (mainly cause I love the horror genre) I always end up in the LKH,Kim Harrison, S. King, D Koontz end of the pool.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |