Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Read any good books lately???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Shantaram is one of the best, if not the best, books I've ever read, though Rosebud and Freefall2 beat me to recommending it. I couldn't put it down (and it's 900+ pages!) and now almost everyone in my family has read it too. In fact, it's part of the reason I'm going to India for part of my post-graduation trip.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312330537/sr=8-1/qid=1154786706/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4453019-0177440?ie=UTF8

In a completely different genre, Mr Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll is a fun read. It's written in the style of Austen, and is kind of a sequel to "Pride and Prejudice." I know purists object to other authors taking license like that, but I enjoyed it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402202733/sr=8-1/qid=1154786274/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4453019-0177440?ie=UTF8

Phillipa Gregory writes wonderful historical fiction--I think my favorite is The Other Boleyn Girl, but all of her novels are excellent and engrossing, with strong heroines.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743227441/sr=8-1/qid=1154786850/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4453019-0177440?ie=UTF8

I'm currently reading American Taboo: A Murder in the Peace Corps by Philip Weiss. I don't love his writing style, but the story is pretty compelling--it's the true story of a Peace Corps volunteer who was murdered in Tonga in the 1970s by another volunteer and who was never punished in the U.S. I was in the Peace Corps so I love reading about others' experiences, but this one is just tragic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006009687X/sr=8-1/qid=1154787013/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4453019-0177440?ie=UTF8

okay... this post is WAY too long. signing off (and going to read my book Very Happy )

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
i love girly books , you know Chic -Literature

at the moment i have been readin books by Jane Green.
i love them there just so easy to read and you really get to know the characters , i have even cried at some of them (the sign of a good book).

here are my 2 favs:
Jemmima J
Bookends

but all of her books are ace Very Happy
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Emma_Jane wrote:
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hossein. Highly recommended.

Thanks for suggesting that, I'm sure I never would have heard of it. It arrived in my amazon order last week. It sounds great and it's next in line to start right after I finish another Rosebud recommendation, The Mists of Avalon, which I'm really enjoying.

I'm going to clear out our bookshelves and donate them to the new library here. If books linger too long on our shelves on the boat they end up mildewed and buggy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
A new one to add:

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse just came out in paperback so I snatched up a copy.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:59 am      Reply with quote
I also enjoyed "The Red Tent". has anyone else read any other books by that author?
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
marnie wrote:
I also enjoyed "The Red Tent". has anyone else read any other books by that author?

That book is beckoning me, but the to read pile is well, piling up so fast I can't catch up. The bookstore and I guess this place loves me Laughing
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Marnie,

I read that book as well. I haven't read anything else by her though, sorry. It was a great book though.

Currently, I am reading a historical perspective book "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. What an excellent book. He gives a totally new version of human history one that most of our textbooks never covered. Look on Amazon to read the reviews. He also won the Pulitzer Prize.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
lately i have been reading books by masaru emoto.. they are incredible! "the hidden messages in water" series. its about how water carries/can manifest intention and they take pictures of water crystal formations blessed with intentions. finished the first one and it blew me away.. changes the way i think about things and helped me cultivate more spirituality. i just started "Love Thyself: The Message from Water III" it is a beautiful book full of pictures of the water crystals focused mainly on the positive and on blessings and prayer. great books. highly recommend if you are into spirituality/religion phenomina kinda stuff
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and i can't put it down...it's so good.
After i'm done with it i'm going to read Khaled Hosseini's "A thousand splendid suns"

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and i can't put it down...it's so good.
After i'm done with it i'm going to read Khaled Hosseini's "A thousand splendid suns"

I've read both books. In fact, I read A thousand Splendid Suns first then the Kite Runner.

Both are so heart-warming and sad, but it also keep you interested. From the first chapter on "A Thousand Splendid Suns" I kept sniffling and tissue box is always besides me. Can't put down.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I just read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. It is a marvelous story. He put his whole life into building schools in Pakistan and saw what was happening with the reactionary Muslim sector far before 911. If our leaders had only listened. He slept in cars and used all of his money to educate poor Muslim kids (and a large fraction of girls). His start was frustratingly slow but it is amazing what he did accomplish.

My all time favs are Brothers Karamazov and Wind in the Willows (two very different but emotionally satisfying reads)also Kite Runner.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is amazingly good.

Anything by Stuart Mclean is enjoyable, but his stories are an acquired taste- they're quirky.

A guilty pleasure would be the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

For spiritual writing, Henri Nouwen is great.
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:52 am      Reply with quote
I am looking forward to tucking into a good book at the beach this weekend. I'm going to go the store after work today and see what looks interesting. It is great to have the recommendations from you guys! Also, More Magazine did a great feature in their July/August issue about vacation books and all of the books they reviewed look fun too.
cahoot
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Haven't had much time to read lately but the last novel I read was The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. I loved her novel After You'd Gone, and this one is also good, though very different.
Still trying to get up the nerve to re-read The Tenderness of Wolves again, last time I read it I cried buckets! Laughing
ahihi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am      Reply with quote
If you like good food - and are looking for a very funny book - Ruth Reichl's "Tender at the Bone" is your book!

Ruth Reichl is a food writer who began her journey of making sense of the world (and her manic mother) through food. She includes a few great recipes along the way - grab a snack and enjoy this fun book!!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
You all gave me some great recs for a rainy day curled up with a cat by the fire!
I certainly agree with freefall2 and Agent -00-cat about Philip Pullman's works. I love children's fantasies! The audiobooks by Pullman are even TWICE as good - his British accent is so expressive!!
Off to the library to fill my bookbag!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
Phillipa Gregory writes wonderful historical fiction--I think my favorite is The Other Boleyn Girl, but all of her novels are excellent and engrossing, with strong heroines.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743227441/sr=8-1/qid=1154786850/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4453019-0177440?ie=UTF8

I have been very into Philipa Gregory the last two months. I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, The Constant Princess, and am finishing up THe Boleyn Inheritance. All veyr well-written and engrossing. Mostly historically accurate, but she does take liberties of course.

I'm also reading Allison Weir's The Six Wives of Henry the VIII to get the real scoop.

I'm going through a Tudor fasicination righ tnow. Smile
mominparis

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I've had to read and chosen to read many great books in my life. For just sheer power of story, a laugh and cry, and a miss forever book is A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving). Not all his writing is a hit but this one is just wonderful. Wally Lamb "I Know This Much is True" and "She's Come Undone" were warm, wonderful reads. I love anything ever written by Margaret Laurence especially "The Stone Angel" and "The Diviners". A beautifully written, raw, heart-wrenching read is "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. "The Swallows of Kabul and Reading Lolita in Tehran were also moving and powerful accounts of life in war infested countries. I could not imagine life without books. I have a degree in English Literature.
mominparis

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
So I continued to read what others had said about great reads and was reminded of so many others I loved. Someone mentioned Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar". She is the female version of Holden in everyone's beloved book "Catcher in the Rye." Which brings me to my all time favourite author: J.D. Salinger. He wrote Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey, Hold Up the Roofbeam Carpentars, all based on the Glass family and the he wrote an amazing collection of short stories called "Nine Stories". Not everyone's cup of tea but very spiritual, thought-provoking reads. Maybe not intended for a light and relaxing read. I love his stuff!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:57 am      Reply with quote
mominparis wrote:
I've had to read and chosen to read many great books in my life. For just sheer power of story, a laugh and cry, and a miss forever book is A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving). Not all his writing is a hit but this one is just wonderful. Wally Lamb "I Know This Much is True" and "She's Come Undone" were warm, wonderful reads. I love anything ever written by Margaret Laurence especially "The Stone Angel" and "The Diviners". A beautifully written, raw, heart-wrenching read is "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. "The Swallows of Kabul and Reading Lolita in Tehran were also moving and powerful accounts of life in war infested countries. I could not imagine life without books. I have a degree in English Literature.

A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my most favourite books, truly wonderful.

I've just finished reading another excellent book, one that I'd been meaning to buy, and that has been widely publicised, for quite a long time - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Whilst the author's use of Death as the narrator grated on me initially, you soon get used to it. The story is warm, funny and ultimately very moving. Well worth reading.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:00 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
mominparis wrote:

A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my most favourite books, truly wonderful.

I've just finished reading another excellent book, one that I'd been meaning to buy, and that has been widely publicised, for quite a long time - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Whilst the author's use of Death as the narrator grated on me initially, you soon get used to it. The story is warm, funny and ultimately very moving. Well worth reading.

I completely agree about 'The Book Thief'. This is actually categorized as young adult, but it's one of the absolute best, most moving books I've ever read. The perspective is unique as well.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
jones10021
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I like girly books too and i have some random books on my bookshelf, some i havent got to. My girlie-ness expanded to romance at one point though. If your willing to take a shot Wink beginner romance readers - like me - all liked Johanna Lindsey novels. But....romance novels are a preference.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Joe Hill's book "Heart Shaped Box" is a good scary read for Halloween! Any of his books are good, in fact.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:39 am      Reply with quote
If you're into children's fantasy (which I am haha even though I'm past childhood Razz but hey child at heart still Bad Grin) I'll recommend books by Tamora Pierce (her Immortals & Circle of Magic series especially - lovvvve them & have read them over & over)
http://www.tamora-pierce.com/about.htm

Another beloved children's fantasy author is T.A. Barron. I've read all of his books and follow the series still...
http://www.tabarron.com/novels

I also strongly recommend Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series. I find it just as good as Harry Potter actually.

If you're into adult mysteries/thrillers, then Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's collaborations are quite good (especially when they feature FBI Agent Pendergast haha)
http://www.prestonchild.com/books/index.html

Adult fantasy, well Terry Pratchett's Discworld Novels never fail to make me laugh Laughing Anne McCaffrey's Pern series is also fabulous if you're into dragons.

Fave romance for me will be Nora Roberts, especially her trilogies... I'll recommend the Irish Trilogy, Key Trilogy, Three Sisters Trilogy & her latest Sign Of Seven Trilogy. Romance with some magic is Roberts at her best I feel...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Samantha185! I'll put those on my list too!!!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |