Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the best regimen for acneic/sensitive skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,
With all of the options available I was hoping to benefit off of your expertise and let me know what has truly worked for you. I have heard rave reviews for Yon-ka, Decleor, IS Clinical, Dr. Haushka and I just don't know what to do. My skin reacts very badly to glycolic and salicylic and exfoliation in general. BP makes my face itch and swell. I just don't know anymore... I'm so confused! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Ali

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Ali! Smile

Hmm..it's hard to treat acneic sensitive skin since a lot of good acne fighters are rather aggressive. I think something along the lines of nautral skincare or products not too harsh like Decleor will be a good choice to try. Try to get some samples before you commit. Decleor makes lovely balms and oils that help to decongest the skin w/o being harsh. I like the Ylang Ylang for my oily skin, but I know they have products for sensitive skin, too. Also, Dr. Hauschka products get big raves here. Maybe try the Cleansing Cream. I hear it is good for unclogging pores and is very gentle for all skin types. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
go for the Dr Hauscha tester tin for oily skin, you should have enough for a week at least here.
That way you can try out the whole regime

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi alilicious, I have a similar problem... it's soooo hard to find products that work to help your sensitivity as well as acne. My derm told me that the best thing to do was to sooth my skin first because the more I irritated it with harsh products, the worse the break outs would get. I've got my skin pretty much under control at the moment (however that could change any second Laughing ).

I would suggest that you keep your routine simple. You don't want to overload your face with a zillion different products.

Dermalogica have some great things for sensitive skins that shouldn't irritate your acne. As do Jurlique, Dr H & Thalgo. I'm sure other lines do too, they are just the ones I have tried and had success with. Sadly, it's all about trial and error. What works for one person may suck for another. Also, my derm prescribed me a topical antibiotic called Clindatech Lotion to put on the areas where I normally break out and it's working really well. I only got 1 small pimple at that time of the month when normally I have at least 3 of those horrible big cystic sore ones.

Anyway, won't turn my post into a novel. Best of luck with your skin and remember to always ask for samples, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the replies. I'm torn between Decleor and Dr. Haushka. I can run down to my health food store and buy Dr. H, but I love Decleor too. What to do. What to do. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks again!
Ali

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Ali, when I first joined this board I was torn between Decleor and Dr H too! Laughing I was all set to go for Decleor after I had an amazing Decleor facial but then Cindi sent me a Dr H cleansing cream Rolling Eyes , and the rest as they say is history.

Now I use Dr H products along with vit c and hand on heart, I can say my skin has never looked better. Although this was a slow process for me. At first when I switched to Dr H I got flakey skin and cystic spots on my chin. That has cleared up now and my skin is "under control" apart from the occassional hormonal breakout Mad but I'd take this any day over oily skin and constant spots which I'd had since I was a teen.

I would say whichever brand you go for, please keep simple. Simple is definitely best as far as sensitive reactive skin goes. Good luck! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 12:08 am      Reply with quote
rzecka,
Thanks so much for the reply. When you say it was a slow process for you, how long is slow? I know it is different for everyone, but at least it will give me some sort of time frame.
Also, what exactly do you like more about Dr. H rather than Decleor? The Cleansing Creme kind of intimidates me. I have read that Dr. H recommends not to wear moisturizer at night (which I don't) and not to exfoliate but I'm just not sure why.
Any of your skin expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Ali

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I think Dr H believes you shouldn't wear a moisturiser at night because while you're sleeping your skin is trying to get rid of toxins and impurities and it can't do this properly if your pores are filled with moisturising cream. Also, they say that if you over-moisturise then your skin looses it's own natural ability to create moisture. Therefore, by not moisturising, it will learn to create the moisture it needs. Hope that makes sense (sounded ok in my head Laughing ). As for exfoliating, the cleansing cream is kind of a deep cleansing exfoliating thingy, it's just not the same as what we normally think of in terms of exfoliation because you use a press and release motion rather than a scrubbing motion. This is supposed to be more gentle to the skin, so prevents it from being damaged and also by pressing and releasing on the cream you effectively "suck" out the gunk from your face. Eww that sounds kind of gross. Anyway, hope that helps... I'm only newish to Dr H products myself so if I've gotten something wrong feel free to correct me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 6:20 am      Reply with quote
rzecka wrote:
At first when I switched to Dr H I got flakey skin and cystic spots on my chin.

How long did it take for the flaky skin to clear up? I've recently stopped using the cleansing cream as the skin on my nose and chin had become really dry and flaky. I had been using the cleansing cream for about 2 months and the flaky patches only disappeared once I stopped using the cleansing cream. Bit annoyed about this as I really liked the product but can't put up with it drying out my skin like that. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried the homemade version, it is gentler than the real thing.
Also I am a huge fan of just cleansing and toning in the evening, I never use a moisturiser now before bed and my skin has never looked better.
You just need to give your skin a week whilst it settles into its new regime Very Happy
I have found that my skin is not as oily and in the morning my skin looks lovely, I could probably go out of the house without washing Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
alilicious wrote:
rzecka,
Thanks so much for the reply. When you say it was a slow process for you, how long is slow? I know it is different for everyone, but at least it will give me some sort of time frame.
Also, what exactly do you like more about Dr. H rather than Decleor? The Cleansing Creme kind of intimidates me. I have read that Dr. H recommends not to wear moisturizer at night (which I don't) and not to exfoliate but I'm just not sure why.
Any of your skin expertise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Ali

Ali, I'd say it took about 8 weeks for my skin to settle down completely.

The first time I used the cleansing cream my face felt very tight and when I woke up in the morning my forehead, nose and cheeks were flaking. Also, I absolutely HATED the smell. Funnily enough it didn't put me off and I went ahead and ordered the rest of the line (thinking that the problem was because I wasn't using all the products). It took about 6 weeks (if not more) for my skin to get used to not being moisturised at night (for the first 4 weeks I was using the rythmic night conditioner though). In that time I experienced horrible cystic acne (on my chin) and flakey patches of skin on my forehead along with my usual breakouts.

Now I would say my skin is under control. I'm no longer worried to look in the mirror when I wake up in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I do still get spots, but rarely, and they don't stay around for as long. I wouldn't dream of moisturising at night now and I simply adore the normalising oil in the mornings. For me, Dr H works but I do know that its not for everyone.

Have a look at this thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4204&highlight=cream where people talk about their experiences of switching to Dr H.

As to why I chose Dr H over Decleor? Well, the decision was taken out of my hands. Cindi bought the Cleansing Cream, didn't like it and passed it on to me. I have OCD when it comes to being loyal to a brand so I ended up buying practically the entire Dr H line Rolling Eyes I have lots of little samples of Decleor which I just can't bring myself to use

If I could recommend one thing to you though it would be to try out a vitamin c serum. Honest to god, it is the best thing since sliced bread. It has evened out my skin tone and helped with acne scars. Please try it! I have the vivier one.

Oh, and as for Dr H saying not to exfoliate.. I think this may be because the Cleansing Cream actually acts as an exfoliator so if you were to do more, it may be overkill. And there is also a great video on the Dr H site which shows how to use the cream.

Toe, how long were you pressing and kneading the cream in for and also which moisturiser were you following it up with? It's such a shame it didn't work out for you Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I'm just really wary of trying Dr. H. I have started using an essential oil blend that I make on my face in the morning and nothing else and that has really helped to control the oil. It seems so weird that putting oil on your face will actually cut back on your own oil, but the proof is in the pudding! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Ali, what you need is someone to send you some Dr H and then you won't have no choice Laughing Serioulsy though, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.. stick with what you're using at the moment (but add vit c of course Wink ) Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
rzecka,
Would you mind telling me your favorite vit C products? I don't know where to begin. I just know that I can't tolerate anything too active or strong.
Thanks,
Ali

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
The whole vit c thing confuses me as well!! Which one is best to use on combo sensitive pimple prone skins like mine and ali's? What are the benefits of using vit c? This forum is making my routine more and more complicated... Laughing I want to try everything!!

5% products discount

Mon May 23, 2005 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried using a cleanser for sensitive skin, and then using an egg white mask twice a week?

Lancome Vinefit Cool Gel is high in vitamins and antioxidants, and it's non-comedogenic Smile
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
rzecka wrote:
Toe, how long were you pressing and kneading the cream in for and also which moisturiser were you following it up with? It's such a shame it didn't work out for you Sad

About 2 minutes worth of pressing and rolling. Concentrating mainly around the nose and chin area (perhaps that is why those areas were flaking more than any other part of my face) as this is where most of my congestion occurs. I was using the Cleansing Cream at night after removing my make-up with another cleanser. Wanted to make sure I got all the muck off my face. Didn't use a moisturiser afterwards as I don't use a traditional moisturiser at night. Before bed I use either my Decleor Baume Essentiel or the Decleor Ylang Ylang Balm. I used the Cleansing Cream again yesterday morning but as soon as I had rinsed it off my face I slapped on a load of Decleor Hydra Floral moisturiser. This seemed to prevent the flakiness appearing. Although once I put on my mineral make-up my chin did look a little more patchy than usual. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Ali, when I was on my Philosophy kick I used their Hope and a Prayer vit c powder. You use it by mixing in a little bit of the powder with whichever moisturiser you use. I used it for about 6 weeks and saw no results with it whatsover. I have 3/4 of the bottle sitting unloved in my drawer - an expensive mistake Sad

You know I had never heard of vit c serum before I joined this forum. I was so overwhelmed by all the vit c posts on here that I just used to ignore them. I thought they were just for anti-aging. And then (believe it or not) Cindi sent me a sample of Vivier 10% she got from one of her EDS orders (it actually took me a few weeks to work up the courage to use it Embarassed ) and I am seriously in with it.

I haven't tried any of the other serums so I can't comment but I think you should be ok with the 10% one. Its the gentlest one. The first time I used it I got a slight tingle (which had me worried) but never since. If you place an order at EDS ask them to include a sample of it. The sample will last you between 2 weeks to a month I'd say. Go on - you know you want to! Wink Bad Grin

Toe, which minerals are you using?.... Come to think of it, I think that my flakiness stoped around the time I switched from BE to JI hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2005 6:53 am      Reply with quote
rzecka wrote:

You know I had never heard of vit c serum before I joined this forum. I was so overwhelmed by all the vit c posts on here that I just used to ignore them. I thought they were just for anti-aging. And then (believe it or not) Cindi sent me a sample of Vivier 10% she got from one of her EDS orders (it actually took me a few weeks to work up the courage to use it Embarassed ) and I am seriously in with it.

Yay! for me Bad Grin
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |