Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

photosensitivity
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
robbojnr
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 1:08 am      Reply with quote
hi
i wonder if someone could help cause i have become very distressed of the last 3 months.
I was using a product by environ which about 3 months ago i had an allergic dermatitis reaction to, this resulted in my skin becoming very photo-sensitive as it started to get liver spots and line's. The reason for this according to the beauty therapist was because of the retinyle palmitate in it that had stripped my skin to leave no barrier. Now my skin is still tingling/ itching and the barrier hasnt been repaired. 4 months ago i hadn't a line of my face now i have developed lots not to mention the daily distress i have endured.
When i went to see the dermalogica therapist she give me a sunblock which i have only just realised has retinyl palmitate in it, which is how the original reaction occured, how unprofessional
At the moment i have been told to use a physical sunblock, with zinc oxide in it, i am using one bywww.livingnature.com, but the problem with this is that it leaves a white film over my face. I know that in australia you can get one by megan gale called zinclear, which is a transparent zinc oxide.
Also i am having problems using any products on my face at the moment, i have tried dr.hauscka as well...the thing is i dont want to put anything on my skin that might cause an allergic reaction especially with the sun...having researched i am amazed why people now use aha, and esepcially vit a creams which thin the skin and create's sun damage due to photsensitivity...to me it's crazy....
so i hope some ppl might enlighten me..
thanks
pete
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 3:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pete,

People use AHAs and Vit A products for a number of reasons. When used correctly, under the right conditions, these products can help with lining, clarity, tone, etc... The thing with using these products is that they will make you skin photosensitive and you MUST wear sunscreen at all times. I use AHAs all the time, and love the results. I also wear SPF 60, every day!! Today however, before work I had to take the garbage out. I stupidly went outside this morning, at 8am, for 15 mins, and came in with a pink face. That is how careful one needs to be.

Your derm just sounds like an idoit to me. I would consider getting a new one.

As well, I would recommend a vit C serum to you, and a very good sunscreen. Maybe Avene would be good for you. Very Happy

5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 11:04 am      Reply with quote
thanks for getting back to me, i have been out all day and my face is driving me mad, i went to see a decleor therapist and she said that at this moment i should be using anything with parabens even if they are in my sunscreen cause my skin is so sensitive...
she told me that pevonia, medicalia is a range that is used for people who have just had laser resurfacing....so she told me to try them..
and to wash my face in oats, as my ph level is so bad now and that it might take ages to get it back again, my skin is just so hot all the time its driving me mad...
robbojnr
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 11:43 am      Reply with quote
faith or anyone can you maybe tell me what vit c i should use extra and also sunscreen , is the la roche posay that i have seen being mentioned a physically sunscreen
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
most products to carry parabens in them to preserve the formulations...I use skinceuticals physical SPF30...it has transparant zinc oxide (z-cote), and titanium oxide...there are parabens in it, but they are the very last ingredients on the list. If you have parabens at the beginning of a list..then that definitely is a bad sign. My skin is naturally extremely sensitive, and it seems to be wroking well on my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
robbojnr wrote:
faith or anyone can you maybe tell me what vit c i should use extra and also sunscreen , is the la roche posay that i have seen being mentioned a physically sunscreen

For a Vit C serum, I would start with a low %. As you skin is sensitive right now, I would use a more moisturizing product. For example, Vivier 10, Cellular Skin Rx...

I would go for the highest SPF possible. La Roche Posay fluid extreme is not a physical sunscreen, but I believe it is more effective. However, Avene makes a physical sunscreen that is SPF 50. Make sure you get the one in the white package.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I would recommend you go and see a really derm vs a beauty advisor. If your skin barrier is already very weak and your face is suffering, you really should not use any type of treatment products until your skin heals itself. I also have very sensitve skin and allergic contact dermatitis is part of my monthly routine Sad

I have learned just to use a plain cleanser, moisturizer and spf. My derm told me I can use cortisone cream when my face is truly irritated (for a short time only as it thins the skin in the long run). I cannot use vit c or glycolic type products at all.

Also to answer your question regarding vit a cream, it helps the cell turn over (exfoliates the top layer) and it increases collagen products (thus helps with wrinkles etc). It is best to get rx retinoid product and use under the supervision of a derm.

Hope your skin recovers soon.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="mtview"]I have learned just to use a plain cleanser, moisturizer and spf. quote]

what do you use for your SPF mtview? im trying to make a list of sunscreens that are good..especially for sensitive skin...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi purpleturtle,

I am using LRP Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 40. I used to use Cetaphil SPF 15 with no problem as well. It is weird though since most sensitive people can't use avobenzone but I have no problem with it.

Some of the sunscreens I have used before but gave me reactions:

Ducray spf 30
Skinceuticals spf 20

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I find it strange you can use avobenzone...last summer my skin broke out in redness every time i went out in the sun with it...So physical sunscreens it is. I'm just a bit weird on the inactive ingredients as well. I hope the skinceuticals physical sunscreen will be fine for me this summer..i'm not a sun person anyway, but i like to have additional protection without it irritating me in the longrun...

I use cetaphil as my moisturizer..im considering a new one, but this stuff has worked for years in calming and keeping me soft..

5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
can you tell whether or not, avene and la rocuhe posay sunscreen are fragranted, cause i can't stand perfumey skincare products
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 12:09 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on which sunscreen. I heard avene may have fragrance but I haven't tried them. I use LRP fluide extreme and it doesn't have any fragrance.

5% products discount

Mon May 23, 2005 5:17 am      Reply with quote
is lrp a better sunscreen than medicalia which i have just purchased
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 5:48 am      Reply with quote
robbojnr wrote:
is lrp a better sunscreen than medicalia which i have just purchased

What are the ingredients?

5% products discount

Mon May 23, 2005 6:11 am      Reply with quote
active ingredients are
ocm, octyl salicylate,avonbenzone, titanium dioxide

bloody expensive as well £29,
i was told originally that i would need a physically sunscreen but this seems a bit of both ...
can someone also tell me i have a lot of heat on my face at the moment would the chemicals in this not attract more heat, and i have read as well that chemical sunscreens can also cause free radical damage if the ingredients reacts badly with the sunscreen ingreds
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 7:22 am      Reply with quote
robbojnr wrote:
active ingredients are
ocm, octyl salicylate,avonbenzone, titanium dioxide

bloody expensive as well £29,
i was told originally that i would need a physically sunscreen but this seems a bit of both ...
can someone also tell me i have a lot of heat on my face at the moment would the chemicals in this not attract more heat, and i have read as well that chemical sunscreens can also cause free radical damage if the ingredients reacts badly with the sunscreen ingreds

Yes, they can if it is not photostable. This sunscreen is not photostable.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 12:08 am      Reply with quote
robbojur,

The LRP W gel (spf 40) doesn't have parabens nor fragrance in it. I freckle and burn very easily as you can see in my signature. I have the box with the ingredients somewhere in my messy room Embarassed , I will look for it and post the ingredients for you once I find it. Rolling Eyes

I recently read elsewhere that Vichy has a sunscreen line called "Capital Soleil" which states:

Capital Soleil sun protection products are:

photostable (effectiveness of filters does not diminish with exposure to light and heat)
    paba free
    fragrance free
    preservative free
    non-comedogenic
    hypoallergenic
    water resistant

It's main ingredients are:

Mexoryl®SX , the first photostable short UVA filter patented in the world to protect the cellular DNA from changes generated by UVA rays.

Parsol 1789 + Octocrylene + Titanium Dioxide to provide broad spectrum photostable filters that protect against long UVA rays, UVB, and IR rays.

Polyvitamin E, an anti-oxidant complex to neutralize free radicals generated in the skin by exposure to UV radiation.

Vichy Thermal Spa Water with anti-irritant and soothing properties

If you live in outside of the U.S. you would probably have easier access to Avene, LRP or Vichy than I would (Mexoryl is not FDA approved over here so I have to purchase it online). Personally, I can't find it here in the Bay Area (or I'm just not looking in the right places).

Hope this helps a little. Good luck finding a good photostable sunscreen and vitamin c that doesn't further irritate your skin.

5% products discount

Tue May 24, 2005 9:42 am      Reply with quote
hi
does your're skin attract the heat, my face is always hot, and i was wondering whether or not it is a good idea or not to use just a physical one with invisible sunscreen like this one that has just come out over here....
called zo1
INGREDIENTS:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 154 mg/g.
Ingredients: Water, Zinc Oxide, Propylene glycol, polyethylene, sodium chloride, Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Diazolidinylurea, Glyceryl Laurate, Iodopropynyl butylcarbanate, Isostearyl neopentanoate, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate.

also can you tell me i can't seem to get lrp over in the uk i have tried, i know i can get avene but they have a white bottle and a oranage bottle what one is better for me.?
and what is photostable ?
a derm told me its best i go for zinc oxide as it won't irritate my skin..
and do u use vit c and what brand ?
thanks sorry for so many ?
WhiteLotus
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again,

Yes, my skin attracts heat easily. I usually cannot stay out in direct sunlight for too long without a hat or some form of sun cover before I start seeking shelter. Preferably, a nice air conditioned one. Laughing

I have never tried Avene nor have I ever heard of zol so unfortunately, I am unable to help you there. Sorry.

I've been busy for a while so I haven't checked up on this forum until recently. From what I've scanned it looks like Bad Bird seems to know alot about sunscreens.

Regarding your question on photostable, Bad Bird stated in another thread on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:51 am (you can find this exact quote at the link below): http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5984&highlight=photostable

Quote:
Photostable means that the sunscreen agent wouldn't break down in sunlight rendering it effective. What this further means is that if you are wearing a photounstable sunscreen, you might as well not apply it at all, because unstable agents break down and produce free radicals, not to be mention that false sense of security thinking that you are protected.

Your sunscreen is photostable if the main actives are: zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, Mexoryl SX, Mexoryl XL, Tinsorb M, Tinsorb S, Avobenzone stablised with Octocylene.
There are several threads about sunscreens also.

I found the box, the LRP Anthelios W Gel (SFP 40/IPD 34/PPD 19) ingredients are:

Aqua/Water, Octocrylene, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, C 12-15 Alkul Benzoate, Alcohol Denatured, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyltriazone, Titanium Dioxide, Sorbitan Oleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Acrylates/C 10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aluminium Hydroxide, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycine Soja/Soybean Oil, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Tocopherol, Triethanolamine

I've found it online at http://www.beautyhabit.com or http://www.physea.com/index.php. I also found this website which is based in Germany http://www.beautycentereurope.com/. Hope this helps. I've never been to the U.K. so I'm not sure where to direct you to find any of these products.

I use Cellular Skin Rx's C + Firming Serum which has a 12% concentration of stable vitamin c.

Many of the forum members here are very knowledgeable about skincare. More so than I am. They also have their own preferences on different products, so I will let you be the judge. As you know your own skin best. Smile

Again, good luck with your search and I hope you are able to find the products that are right for you.

Again, good luck with your search.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |