Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Has this ever happened to anyone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:38 am      Reply with quote
I had a facial last week(first one in 2 years) and I have since broken out really bad. Is this my skin purging or what? I'm really frusturated. I had a lot of dead skin and dryness that she scrubbed off, but it's so weird that I broke out a week later and not a couple of days later.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Alison

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 4:59 am      Reply with quote
I do remember a thread started by Aga where she was having a problem with her skin after a facial. I think that her skin problems started a few months after her facial though.
It most probably is your skin purging itself of all the impurities that were lurking underneath. One of the unfortunate side effects of giving your skin a thorough deep clean. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 6:51 am      Reply with quote
i go for regular facials - once a month. And every now and then, i experience a minor break-out a few days after the facial. I think its normal - I've grown used to it at least! Its your skin following thru the unclogging and impurity purge! Im not sure if your facial comprises of an extraction process but mine does so i usually look quite 'unsightly' immediately after the facial but skin feels alot lighter and becomes clearer and smoother about a week after. It lasts about 3-4 weeks before i become clogged up again *sigh*...so the cycle begins again!!
Kk1668
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 6:57 am      Reply with quote
This is normal especially this is the first after 2 years. Just as Toe said, your skin is probably "purging itself of all the impurities that were lurking underneath". The massage during facial also instigates the breakout, it increases circulation. But this is a good thing, no? You skin should be better later if you keep up with facials.

KK
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I will keep up with the facials. I really think it was just purging(or I really HOPE it was just that). Confused
Thanks,
Ali

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Ali, which brand of products did they use in your facial?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
rzecka,
She used Phytoceane. They are very similar to Phytomer. They contain a lot of fragrance though. I think I'm going to return them, because they are just not working for me.
Oh well, live and learn. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think this should be normal at all. Naturally skin will react after a facial. Skin does not purge itself. Anytime a person changes their routine, skin reacts. Facials are out of the question for me.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this does happen. Sad Where I worked they would always tell (for instance) a bride to start having her facial a few months before her wedding. I know it is very discouraging but just think of all that nasty stuff that was in your pores. You skin care routine will work much better for you now.

Even though I take great care of my skin a facial likely could cause me to have some breakouts. The steam and massage really gets things going.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto SusieQ - I never have luck with facials. They feel good, but have always caused my skin to break out. I think the suggestion from mojocat may be apt - I bet if one were to have *regular* facials with a trusted practitioner, the outcome could be different.

I recently had a full-body massage, which included my jaw area. Even though I washed my face right after, the next day my skin was broken out along the jawline. I almost asked her not to touch my face, but it felt so good that I didn't! I should've known better.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
So I guess then the question is to facial or not to facial? Believe me, if it is just going to give me problems I would just as soon as spend that money on a massage. Does anyone out there with acne prone skin get regular facials and have success with them?
Thanks,
Ali

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Ali - I had been getting regular facials with my Dermalogica lady for a year or so with no post-facial breakouts... I got lazy (and was broke Laughing ) so I didn't go for a while and when I finally did (about 6 months later) I went to a different salon that used Thalgo products. Don't get me wrong, Thalgo have some awesome products so I don't know if it was what she put on my skin or the way it was done but I broke out REALLY BAD. Now I'm scared to go back too Crying or Very sad I think I'm gonna brave it this weekend and give my good old Dermalogica lady a try. Cross your fingers for me ok! I'll post on here and let you know how it goes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 5:45 am      Reply with quote
This is the dilema with facials..possibly breakout or not breakout. Confused

I personally think it really depends on what type of facial you have and the products that are used. The breakouts could be attributed to the products themselves. I'm really not sure about the whole "skin purging" thing. I have had YonKa facials the past few months and never had a single breakout. But here again I'm not really breakout prone. The only time my skin was really a mess afterwards (red/areas swollen) was when I went for a deep cleansing and when she cleaned my pores she exerted way too much pressure. OUCH! Mad

So I guess it's hit or miss. I've read online that a good facial will not cause breakouts except for a few minor spots. So who knows....sigh. Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Yes, it did happen to me few times after I had my facials. I would have 2-3 zits at one time.

Now, I have quit doing them, and just give myself a mini-facial regularly at home. I do the cleaning, apply the mask, etc... My skin has been more predictable this way.
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 11:51 am      Reply with quote
The only time I didn't get a breakout after a facial was when I had a Decleor facial. So I tend to agree with Lifeplyr01, I think it has a lot to do with which products are used.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I really do believe that a good facial SHOULD NOT cause your skin to breakout. When a facial includes extractions, it definitely takes a couple of days for your skin to calm down, BUT that isn't a breakout...

A conscientious esthetician will spend a good deal of time typing your skin before she decides what products, and specifically what type of facial, best suit your skin.

I used to go for facials with some degree of regularity. But, it was during a period when I really wasn't happy with the skin products I was using and was looking for various ways to improve my skin.

Now that I've settled on products that work for me, and have also learned to do certain things at home, I haven't felt the need for a facial in ages. These days that money goes to luxurious massages, body exfoliation, and other delicious stuff.... Laughing
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Alison!

I had the exact same thing happen to me.

About a few days after a facial I started breakig out like hell, and have been ever since then. That was 5 months ago.

I have never had acne before but the facial disturbed something in my skin and makes me breakout till this day.
I have tried a lot of different things to help the acne but havent found anything that works yet. It's very frustrating.

I am vising home right now and I saw a derm here just yesterday, she gave me 2 different pills prescriptions and 2 gels to put directly on the skin. I'll let you guys know if maybe this helps Smile

I hope that your problem after the facial wont take as long to heal as mine does Smile its a nightmare!

Maybe you can go back to the place you had your facial and talk to them about it? Id see a derm if the breakouts persists!

If you have any Qs, ask away Smile
Aga

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2005 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Aga,
You poor thing!!! Wow, I guess I shouldn't complain. Laughing I sure hope your derm can get you back into shape. If you don't mind, please tell me which topicals and pills you got from your derm. I am thinking about going back to a different derm, but I just haven't had success with one yet. Mad I will not go on Accutane, but I don't think I'm severe enough to require it. I just CONSTANTLY break out and some flares are worse than others. I am SOOOOOO over it! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ali

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2005 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
don't mean to bud into your thread....but does anyone think that although massaging increases the circulation, could it also be causing wrinkles/sagging because of all of the pulling on the skin?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Hey Alison!

Those damn facials huh? Smile

Heres what I got:
Aleric ( Loratadinum - this is some kind of alergy medicine which is supposed to kill bacteria on skin ; tablets)
Unidox Solutab ( Doxycylin - antibiotic ;tablets)

Topicals:
Clindamycini phosphas gel
Benzol peroxide gel

Ive only been using this stuff for the last 2 days, fingers crossed its going to work Smile

The Clindamycini thingy gel seems to work well on spots, makes them "come-out" very quick instead of taking a few LONG days to heal Smile

Hope this helps!
Aga

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
I also have the same problem. My recent facial visits always gave me the breakouts, but it was not the case before (same place and same products). I would be really disappointed if facial gives the breakouts. My guess is that I've tried so many different products in the last several months, and my skin got confused....???? Rolling Eyes
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:52 am      Reply with quote
When I had facials on a monthly basis I'd always break out a few days later. Then after a week my face would be nice and clear. It sounds like you could be purging but also possibly reacting to the products used, especially since you say you're using the line at home and they're not working. I wouldn't give up on facials though. I haven't gone in quite a few months and it shows in my skin--not looking too good lately.
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ok well I finally took the plunge and got another facial. Lucky for me my sister is studying to be a beauty therapist so she's almost fully qualified to be my personal skin fixer FOR FREE !! Laughing . So anyway, she has to do a certain amount of time in the salon before she can graduate and she needs someone to practice on (ME! Very Happy ). Even though I had a bad experience with a previous Thalgo facial, she promised she wouldn't break my skin out so I let her go to work and my skin looks FABULOUS!! Straight afterwards I had a bit of redness on my chin where she did some extractions but it's been a week and I've had no crazy breakouts or anything like that so my faith in facials has been restored!! I wish I could remember the name of the advanced mask she used (it was one that you can't buy retail, it's only for salon use). But it was great, like a thick paste that went on my face really cool, sat for 20 minutes until it set (it went like thick jelly) and then she peeled the whole thing off in one go.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and Ali - I second what Aga said about the clindamycin stuff. I have a similar product, mines called Clindatech Solution (it's made by an Australian company called DermaTech) and I've had great results with it. I only use it once a day on the areas I normally have breakouts (my chin and one area of my right cheek... yes only one side Confused how stupid Laughing ). If I use it more than that my skin gets a bit tight and I seem to have the same results from using it only once a day. I hardly get pimples on my chin anymore and when I do they're usually just white heads instead of big cystic ones so I can live with that.

The bad thing with me is that I'm doing a lot of different things to help my skin and I don't know which products are giving me the good results but I'm scared to stop using any of them incase it's 'THE ONE' Laughing . Another thing I started using around the same time as the Clindatech is a herbal capsule called Vitex 1000 (chaste berry extract or vitus agnus-castus). My pimples are hormonal and this stuff is supposed to help balance out your hormones and therefore help with acne (if that's the cause). It's also supposed to help with PMS etc so I thought I'd give it ago. I ran out and was lazy so didn't repurchase it for a few weeks and I did notice a difference in my skin so I'm back on it again now.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
It is my opinion that facials with extractions can be way too harsh on sensitive skin which is why I recommend skipping that part all together. I always breakout after a facial and swear I'm not going again and then 3 months somehow I'm there. I have acne prone skin and have discovered pure raw coconut oil just 3 months ago. My skin loves me now Wink it has never caused a breakout and is the best moisturizer i've ever used. I also recommend derma e glycolic facial wash to even out skintone and using fresh papaya flesh as a mask once or twice a month. Fresh cut aloe Vera will also help soothe red skin. Best of luck to everyone. Eat as healthy as you can, smile and see the difference
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |