Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Fed up
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Ok - Pity party alert.
I just need to have a rant! Probably going to sound really pathetic but here goes...
I'm a redhead and I live in the UK and I am sick to death of the grief us Reds get here.
Last night I was browsing on the TV and came across a new 'comedy' show called Monkey Trousers. As it had quite a few well known comedians in it I watched for a bit until they ran some spoof adverts for 'injury compensation' one of which showed a chef seeing his reflection in a pan and screaming as he saw his redheaded reflection, the ad then showed the 'compensation company' saying they would pay out compensation for 'gingeries' depending on your level of ginger. I'm afraid I found it quite offensive. why is it that its ok to ridicule or offend someone for the color of their hair? This morning on my way to work had teenage kids (yes I know they're kids but all the same..) yelling 'call for compensation you ginger'! at me.
Even at work a couple of people have mentioned the 'advert' and giggled. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I've put up with this all my life and it occasionally gets me down. (My nephew was born a few months ago and people actually said to his mum ' what a shame he has red hair and a boy too - makes it worse' (?!) Shock . Usually I can shrug it off but today I feel like a freak who should color my hair (thanks for that advice so called friend who suggested it if the comments bothered me) and cover my freckles. Is it only the Uk where redheads get so much flack? Why is it still acceptable? (I actually had a high level manager where I work say in a team brief that "there are no glass ceilings in this organsisation - even if you have ginger hair and a wooden leg you can get on..." Geez thanks for that - never realised my hair could stop me getting promoted some places :O)!!!!"
Here endeth my pity party......!!!
Going to log onto 'realmof redheads.com for some moral support!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Five words:
Ann-Margaret and Raquel Welch.
Red is SEXY!!! Never mind these idiots!! People pay darn good money here in Canada to go flaming red! Get yourself a good glossing serum to bring out the shimmer in your gingery locks - practice your superior smirk and flaunt your redness! You go, sister!
Pudoodles
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles.
Ahh thanks!!! Very Happy Not feeling quite so freaky now!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Lucia wrote:
' what a shame he has red hair and a boy too - makes it worse'

I think that ginger males do suffer more grief than females. Thankfully, red hair on females seems to be a lot more acceptable these days. Most of the shampoo/hair product adverts will show women with red hair. Like Pudoodles pointed out - a lot of women pay to have their hair dyed red. I doubt there are many men doing it!
My boyfriend has gingerish hair (and lots of freckles although strangely not on his face). He got picked on at school because of it. He tends to shrug it off now but I think deep down when people make comments it still hurts.
I'm not sure why gingers get such a hard time in the UK. It's something I've always been aware of ever since I was tiny but nobody has an explanation for it. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Toe,
Believe me it does still hurt, I try to ignore any hurtful comments but that doesn't mean it doesn't hit the target.
Even better in the summer when I get the mick taken out of my pale skin and SPF100!LOL!
(Oh well I'll be the one hopefully smiling when they all look older and leathery than me!!).
Laughing
(They ought to watch themselves - redheads can have tantrums and be scary and there are loads of famous ones considering what a low % of reds there are compared to other colouring!! I'm thinking Boadicea, N Bonaparte,Cleopatra (yes really!!),Columbus, Elizabeth I,Galileo,Van Gogh,Emperor Nero, and Svetlana Stalin to name a few not to mention countless modern day reds!!! (Hurrah thanks girls fel better now!)

Just found this for all the other reds out there! Very Happy

"Being a Redhead isn’t easy.
Nor is climbing Everest or Diving for Pearls.
It’s not meant to be, and you wouldn’t want it to be.
There are those who do and those who don’t,
those who will and those who won’t.

The Dominant Gene can skip a generation or maybe two, will hide in the Family Tree until the time is right to carry the message, then return to the fold when there are shoulders ready to carry the head and the hair.

So gather up your things and prepare for tomorrow, your hair gives you the strength you cannot beg or borrow.

Hey Redhead !!
Whether there’s sugar on your tongue or there’s salt in a wound.

You are Red and Proud.
You carry your birthright every hour of every day,
There are millions of people who would love it that way.

Simon Red.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 6:40 am      Reply with quote
talking to some friends in the US they didn't 'get' the whole taking the mickey out of people with ginger hair. You'll be pleased to know because it's unusual LOTS of people find it sexy. I've not noticed the level of mickey taking in the UK anywhere else, fat, thin, tall, short, rich, poor you name it we'll have a pop at it which on some levels I think is a fine trait others times like what you mention it's not Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Lucia,

I have a feeling that making fun of red-heads is something that seems to be limited to Britain for some reason - not sure why though. I watch a lot of British movies & read British novels/magazines and have always been puzzled by jokes that crop up all the time about red hair.

I haven't noticed this at all in North American books or media. In fact, being a natural red-head is viewed as being very unique & rare (Lots of bottled red-heads here too). I read somewhere that natural red-heads are becoming so rare that they might disappear altogether!

I personally think red hair is unusual and stunning - I have always longed to be a red-head. Look at actresses like Julianne Moore - gorgeous no? As for ginger-men (heh) I've always found Eric Stoltz to be especially yummy looking. If you don't know who he is, look him up on the Internet Movie Database. Sigh.

So fear not Lucia, red hair is adored by many. Why do you think that British folks like to joke so much about it? Any theories?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2005 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Lucia,
Red heads have always had it rough. I don't know why. When I was little, my hair was flaming red! It's now more of a brown, but I was tortured with names like "Big Red" (I've been 6-foot 4-inches tall since middle school), and called "the red-headed stepchild" (even though I'm not a step-child...never did understand that one). Anyway, I think it's just pure jealousy, since everybody knows that redheads are better in bed! Bad Grin
Seriously, though. I don't know what "taking the Mickey out of someone" means, since I'm a yank. (I know what "slipping someone the Mickey" means though.) Laughing
Anyway, if you're not happy with your hair color, then change it. It's only hair. I've had every color imaginable - even blue. It grows back! But if you do color it, do it for you, not for those tarts who are making comments. Bullocks to them I say! (was that right?) Anxious

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2005 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Lucia,

You know how I love red hair, coming from the other side of the planet where the norm is black/dark brown. In fact, when I highlight my black hair, I go for red. Smile

Better to be different than one of a million!

People take the mickey out of anything that's different. Red is BEAUTIFUL and they're just jealous. Smile
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys!!'You're all great and funny!! Laughing
Its so lovely to have this forum!!
pbsadhaka - Take the mickey - UK 'speak'for making fun of some one/thing or taking the 'p**s'!! Funnily enough I actually like my hair colour - so won't be changing it - I just get fed up with all the teasing sometimes!!
Thanks again folk!!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
I am totally envious of you. I too am a natural red head, but unfortunatly I was born mousy brown to I have to dye it Laughing

PS, Darren, it's bollocks. Bullocks are young bulls Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl - Bless you!!! Laughing You're an honorary natural redhead!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean and I'm from the US so it isn't only GB. I have dark brown hair with red streaks (naturally it was auburn when I was young). My husbands hair was bright red when he was young and is now sort of ginger color. When I went to the hospital for the birth of my daughter one of the nurses actually said "Ugh Oh I hope her hair isn't red". It turned out honey blond but I would have loved red.

People are funny.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
I know what you mean and I'm from the US so it isn't only GB. I have dark brown hair with red streaks (naturally it was auburn when I was young). My husbands hair was bright red when he was young and is now sort of ginger color. When I went to the hospital for the birth of my daughter one of the nurses actually said "Ugh Oh I hope her hair isn't red". It turned out honey blond but I would have loved red.

People are funny.

Actually people are just damn rude.No need to wrap it up so prettily. ( I guess you are just nicer than me).
I am suprised you didn't smack her one & blame it on the pain affecting your mind.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am a red head too, dark red, I guess auburn. I've always gotten compliments on my hair colour.

I too would have so pissed off with the nurse. Our neighbour came over to see our new baby, she has blonde, almost white hair and light blue eyes. She looked at our little guy and commented on beautiful his blue eyes are and looked right at me and said, "I sure hope his eyes don't go green or brown!" I have greener than green eyes, not hazel or blue, but true green. I was not impressed and told her any damn colour his eyes turned out would be perfect. Some people are just plain stupid and don't think before they speak! Or don't care and shouldn't be allowed out, especially around new mothers! Wink

My son's eyes now at 4 are dark blue, green in some light. Smile My husband's are blue and he has blonde hair but his facial hair is red when it grows out. What an odd bias against red haired men in that ad, just so strange in this day and age. I find red haired men so sexy in fact, except that actor David Corruso, or however it's spelt, he's just creepy but it has nothing to do with his hair colour.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Well irish people (scottish too..sometimes even italians) have the red hair more commonly...and i'm mostly german and english ..my mother told me English ancestors of ours wouldn't marry or go with the Irish..i guess they didn't get along well? But somehow someone was upset with that somewhere in my bloodline because I do have some irish in me. My hair is naturally lightbrown, with very very strong red undertones...
My boyfriend loves redhair and tries to push me to dye it ..my hair is dyed black and i know it sounds strange but i think my skintone is too cool colored for the ginger red style...maybe if i tried a darker red i would look good. I just am afraid of it bringing out any red in my skin! I find many redheads very sexy though...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Has anybody else in the UK noticed how advertising agencies seem to be obsessed with using ginger boys in school uniform in their adverts?
Definitely seems to be a trend over the last couple of years. Considering how people with ginger hair get teased and are used as objects of ridicule (see Lucia's post re: Monkey Trousers), it's somewhat surprising that they choose to use ginger lads to push their products. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:40 am      Reply with quote
Cheer up Lucia, you get to be red for free!! I've been dying my hair auburn for years cos I think it's beautiful! I've had to take a short break from all the coloring as my poor hair is about to snap off Laughing I'll be back red one day tho!! Look at Nicole Kidman (had to pick an Aussie Very Happy ), she's one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood and she's a redhead! Be proud that ur a lil different, a lil unique, a lil vivacious! Show it off!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
Has anybody else in the UK noticed how advertising agencies seem to be obsessed with using ginger boys in school uniform in their adverts?
Confused

you see. That made me laugh!

When I was in sheffield they called gingers gin-ers.
Maybe it's something about the word or the albino look Cool
It could be worse I could be ginger Laughing

(sorry)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I think the nurse was being funny but it wasn't the time.

Lolli: I'd die for green eyes. I was hoping DDs would end up that way (they've nice hazel/light brown). Blue eyes and blond hair sounds great.

Purpleturtle: I recently saw an article on color matching. I believe it said that if you have blue eyes and blue veins on the underside of your wrists (I do) you are a "cool" color and look best with ashy shades, ash blond or black. If you have brown/hazel eyes and green veins you are a "warm" color and would look good in real reds, golden browns and real golden blond. I don't know whether this is all bunk or not.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Sharky,

I have been a dark red before...light as well. Neither look all too bad..i think it might be a bunk. Though after doing black i do admit, its more "Alluring". If only we could change our skin colors to look good in the hair colors we really want! And what is absolutely strange for myself personally..is i think black is the Only color that has ever looked good on me..don't most fair skinned people look bad in such colors? Its always the asians and the african americans that look good in such dark shades...ee. But yeah..this topic of red hair and the fact that its summer is making me want red hair..maybe i should take a risk and do it:)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:26 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle - I think you would look so cute with red hair!! I've just swapped my dyed red for dyed black as my hair is pretty dark anyway so I don't get as much regrowth and therefore don't have to color the hair as much. I'm pale too but I've been getting compliments all over the place Very Happy .

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Sharky - I'd have belted the nurse I think!!! Laughing
Princesita - I guess so - its weird that so many people color their hair red when those of us with it have had such a hard time and sometimes wished we didn't have it! (I learnt to love my hair as I got older - I was lucky in that my family always made me feel it was something wonderful and I was lucky to have it so that helped ) I was talking to my (blonde/brown) mum about this thread and she told me that when I was born my Grandmother said 'Oh my goodness where did she get that ginger hair'- the midwife snapped straight back -'It is NOT ginger, it is red gold!'and so from that day on my hair was described as red gold (a better description of the color I have to say as its not bright ginger/red more red copper)or 'titian'as its the color of the womens hair in Titian paintings. I always wondered why my mum was so adament about the color...now I know! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sitting here with my mouth open !!! I gotta say that I'm in a total state of shock ! Last time I checked, redheads were the envy of fashionistas everywhere. My hair is dark brown and I'm happy with it - I'd look weird if I changed my haircolor because of my coloring overall. Nevertheless, I can't help but admire the fabulous shades of red that each and every haircolor manufacturer has put out as a special line....

IMO, if somebody makes a comment about your haircolor (and, personally, I'd advise the same reaction even if someone's hair was the color of sludge), flash your sweetest smile, wiggle your ass, and give them the finger!!! geez...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |