Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
does this happen to anyone using mineral make-up?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mozi
5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2005 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
hi, i am new to this board. i have learned a lot from reading your posts. i am 42, i have fairly young looking skin for my age, ( i think it was the daily sunscreen use since 13 and genetics Surprised ) have oily t-zone and some enlarged pores (i hate those the most), some fine lines. i have always used a sunscreen, liquid foundation and cornsilk powder as my finisher. i have started using estee lauder CP, future perfect and a few other of her samples. i think it has reduced some fine lines. i am sure i am not using the best anti wrinkle products, but i am just starting out and i love the silky feel from her products. here is my problem. my friend swears by her BE mineral make-up. i gave it a try and i looked like i aged 10 years! Shock every pore and wrinkle, including wrinkles i didn't even know i had, showed! i looked horrid. i ordered a small sample of pure luxe foundation and the "eraser". after trying the powder alone, there was every pore and wrinkle again! i tried my regular make-up and then the eraser and found it to be quite good. pores looked the best i have seen. i just can't seem to get good results from powder mineral make-up. any powder, bronzer or mineral besides the cornsilk pressed, really adds years to my face! has anyone else had this happen to them? if so, have you found any mineral make-up or pore reducer combination? or am i just not a candidate for mineral make-up? what else would give a nice glow, good matte cover without showing pores and fine lines? thanks ladies! i have stumbled on to a great forum! mozi
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mozi and welcome to the boards!

First let me assure you that you are not alone in the mineral makeup showing up the wrinkles, fine lines, et al. And yes, there are some women who, after much trial and error, have decided that MMU is not for them. With that in mind, don't give up hope just yet!

Now, with the BE....I think it's either a love or hate relationship for some women. Those who love it really LOVE it and say that it has literally changed their skin. Some people (like yourself) just can't make it work - i.e. to much "glow", sits on the skin, shows the wrinkles, etc. etc. I couldn't wear BE or Jane Iredale as they contain the ingredient bismuth oxychloride which for me manifested itself in a case of the itchies and bumps.

However, I know women who are 50 and 60 who wear minerals and they look lovely. So before you get discouraged.... Here are some tips -

1. Make sure your face is well moisturized before application. Give at least 5-10 minutes for your moisturizer to be absorbed.
2. The brushes used to apply mineral makeup can make a world of difference. I use a brush called "Luscious Dome" - it is a flat top brush that is incredibly soft. You really must buff the product into your skin. Make sure to only use a little bit - tap the excess off in the lid and buff starting at the outer edge of your face working in.
3. Some women like to use a "flocked sponge" to apply their minerals. IF you do go that route - may I suggest Jane Iredales flocked spone or Aromaleigh's flocked. They are different than store bought - trust me. Some women find that mmu goes on easier by slightly misting the flocked sponge (or brush for that matter) with a rosewater or toner (or just plain old h20).
4. Another option is to take a few grains of the minerals and mix it with your fave moisturizer and apply it as a "liquid" foundation. Then smooth it out with the flocked sponge.
5. Finally, if none of these ideas work, and you're ready to throw in the towel, maybe you might want to consider liquid minerals. I can not give you a good opinion of them as I've not tried minerals in the liquid form. I do know Jane Iredale makes a liquid.

I see we're the same age. After trial and error, I've finally got the whole mineral thing down to a science as far as application. Now that I've got the hang of it, my skin looks just healthy. I am a fan of the smaller lines Aromaleigh, Bare Faced Minerals,and a new company I've just discovered called Everyday Minerals. Everyday Minerals will send you samples for FREE!! Yes, FREE! They may be a little more to your liking as they are more of a soft matte finish as opposed to a shiny finish...Customer service for these lines is top notch.

I hope I've helped!!!!

Laughing Maria

5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2005 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
wow, thank you, maria! you have given me plenty of options to try. i wont give up on the minerals just yet, but if you would have seen me (and i tapped and applied with a real nice brush) after the powder try, well, lets just say i have ordered a mineral translucent matte finisher (pure luxe) that's supposed to be good at not accentuating pores and crinkles. i will let all know what it does to me. cheap, good ol' cornsilk pressed powder has always helped the oilyness, while diminishing pores! i try to keep in mind that what works for one person does not for another! but, it is fun trying to find "your" miracle product! thanks again and it is great to have found this message board!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, Maria, you really summed up nicely how to use minerals! I use BE and JI loose and pressed, depending on the season, I like the glow for winter when I'm dry and the matter finish (JI pressed) for summer when I'm more oily. One thing I noticed with all the mineral foundations, less is definitely more. The less I use, the better it looks. Any extra coverage I may need, I use a concealer instead of more foundation. It looks natural this way otherwise like you, it settles into lines and makes my pores look even bigger.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
spritzing after application helps to even out the overall look as well.
Having said that most days I love the BE but occasionally it really seems noticable no matter what I do. I think it depends a lot on what moisturiser you use under it and how long you leave it before applying the minerals. This is just my humble opinion.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 12:24 am      Reply with quote
I agree with you Loopylori. Some days seem better than others with MMU. I think some days I might buff on a touch too much of this or that which shows up later in the day.

Less is definitely better. It took me awhile to get the hang of BE. I also switched to a shade that was a much closer match to my skin and had to practice all over again! #1 Fair turned out to be such a dead-on match for my skin that I would up over-applying at first because I couldn't see it on my face.

I only need a tiny bit to get a natural "airbrushed" look. I find that you have to play around with different shades even in the same make-up line. It takes a couple of applications to figure out the right intensity. Some people find this a nuisance, but I think its fun! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 7:26 am      Reply with quote
the same happened to me when I first tried mineral make-up. My first attempt was also BE and I too applied far too much to begin with - the end result ws not pleasing and I had more than a passing resemblance to a floury scone!!!! However the spritzer applied after a (very) little of the foundation made a huge difference. With a bit of trial and error I now prefer Jane Iredale pressed base but I use a much darker colour than I have ever used in any other foundations. Trial and error really is the name of hte game with mineral make up but very much worth the effort whan you find your 'perfect' solution. Good luck!!
mozi
5% products discount

Sat May 28, 2005 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
thank you all very much for your wonderful replies! i wonder, for those of you that have had this problem and solved it with your experimentation: what is your favorite kind of mineral powder? there are so many to choose from!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mozi - I found that smoothing a dry latex type make up sponge over the minerals after application smooths over any pores or fine lines that have been exaggerated. I find that the pores around my nose look terrible until I smooth them over.
I like Youngblood minerals but its hard to get in the UK so I've just ordered some samples of the Pure Luxe.
Hope that helps.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
i love BE but i over due it all the time !!! it looks good inside, then go outside and i look like im from the living dead Embarassed but i did notice patting it down with h20 really helps ME. im still trying to find the right color though. i have med. beig. but they said i needed fairly light.. go figure. and when i do pat it down most of that shimmer goes away... i hate shimmers.they like my cracks and crannies... im just gonna keep playing with it untill i get it right. another reason i love BE is it does take my redness out real quick...with pure luxe ya have to put on green powder then the minerals. yuck Shock i then look like a lima bean. so right now i just cant win in the skin or makeup dept. Sad MOZI is my best friend (wavz ya) and minerals are not for her. she does know what works for her. but when we have a certain ick on our face that we just cant stand...ya keep tryin and lookin for that prefect product that works on just your face.. not everyones will produce the same effect. WE LUVZ OUR ESTEE and we will be faithful users of that product line. and of course an experiment here and there.. BUT NO RENOVA Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Rolling Eyes i would like to hear more about BE until i know what the heck im doin..... it is very good for any red faced folks out there. and MOZI.........thank you soooo much for all your help during my week of hell Shock all the burning and getting me stuff from the store to make it feel better.. she's the best.. Wink have a good one.. keep me informed on BE ...lassie 1234
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
I lost my cute little Dermalogica spritzer bottle (came with toner in it I think) on holidays in April so I hadn't been spritzing but after reading this thread, I've started again. It really does set the make up so even my pressed JI powder looks better, it's not very shiny to begin with. I've been trying to cover up a rash (uneven, dry and flakey, yuck) and to do without making it more noticeable than without make up. Spritzing has helped the powder look more natural.

I have a ?, what do you ladies use to spritz with water or JI or Glominerals (etc) moisturizing mist? I am using a brand new perfum atomizer that works well but holds very little water. I looked for Evian spritz today at Wal-Mart, couldn't find it anywhere and no sales rep in sight to ask. I could order some JI or Glominerals spritz but is it necessary?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
ITA with loopylori about spritzing after application. Also, make sure your moisturizer is completely absorbed and there is no sticky spots before you apply your mineral makeup.

As for what "spritzes" to use, I like Evian, but some also like Jurlique Rosewater. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought of using a MMU primer first, something like Jane Iredale’s Absence? This product is supposed to even out your complexion so your makeup goes on more smoothly, and it’s supposed to help control oiliness. While I didn’t have any luck with it doing the latter for me, I will admit it was a pretty good primer....

5% products discount

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I too have not had much luck with BE minerals. I am still experimenting with it though.I was using JI prior and as long as I did not use it around my eyes it did not seem to settle into the lines like BE. I really liked the coverage, especially on the spider veins around my nose. However, with both I have found that less certainly is more. I also find that if I use the very small brush and just cover the spots and areas that bug me, around my nose etc., it looks much better. Then I just kind of blend the whole thing with a large brush. They both tend to last me a long time. I had the mister to set the JI in the beginnning. It worked well. The rep from JI told me not to try and use Evian or other misters as it would cause the mineral powder to turn white and flaky. Could have been a sales pitch but I have never bothered to try anything other than the JI mist, which I really liked. If you do get it around your eyes and it is making everything look crepy and eccentuated, just take a little eye cream and dap it over the spots. Seems to help.
mozi
5% products discount

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
it has been a month since my first post and let me say that i am very glad i did not give up! i really have it down to a science now. first, i used wayyy too much MMU, second, i find that pure luxe MMU is the one for me. it seems to not have that "waxy" look on my oily skin. could be due to the formula not containing "bismuth" but i am not sure. my application techniques have sure changed since that day i whomped on BE and then PL! i now use a small brush for covering trouble spots. i blend "creamy natural" on those spots and contour with "suntan." i use a very small amount of both. after the application of the two foundations, i go over my entire face with a nice soft larger brush. the pure luxe "eraser" is fabulous! i gently pat that on my worst pore areas and sometimes finish with PL "translucent matte." i will never use liquid foundation again! i love MMU and i want to thank all of you for your excellent advice! i am having so much fun playing with this stuff, i even ordered a flocked sponge! i have been foiling, mixing, spritzing and i really love the way it looks and lasts. i have another order of PL samples coming my way and i can't wait! thanks again Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Oh My! Thats just too much work/time to get the minerals to look nice. I, too, had all those problems and was disappointed. OK, after much practice, I can get the bare minerals to work, but... found a foundation (I KNOW, I KNOW) that is wonderful. Clinique's new "perfectly real makeup teint" and I use a brush to apply; and poof! under one minute, I have fab, natural looking skin. My very combo skin (extremely oily nose and chin with very dry cheeks) didn't take to the minerals as I was hoping. But I do use the minerals as a loose powder when going out.

Love everyone's suggestions.. always learn something at this site. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I truly believe that it’s worth the effort to master the application technique for mineral makeup. My first foray into MMU was with Bare Escentuals, and after years of wearing traditional liquid foundations, I couldn’t believe how much better my face looked *and* felt with the mineral foundation. I used to be scared to death of causing irreparable harm (i.e: giant zits) to my face if I don’t remove my makeup before I went to bed, but even though I still try to wash my face every night before bed, if I sometimes forget or pass out before I can get to the bathroom, I know that leaving the mineral makeup on overnight isn’t going to damage my skin. I have since graduated from BE to Jane Iredale and I will never look back – these days, I can’t even stand the touch of traditional foundation on my fingers, much less being able to tolerate putting all that goop on my face – it just feels slimy and nasty!! I even got my mom converted to MMU, and she was a devotee of heavy pancake makeup from decades before I convinced her to try MMU!

Just my 2¢...
Carrie

5% products discount

Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
it is not that much of an effort. Wink the entire MMU application process takes me less than 5 minutes. im still kinda new to it.(you can literally get it done in 1 or 2 minutes if you are in a hurry, 10 seconds for a quick swirl!) eyes take less then 3 minutes. of course, i have used a few products and a SPF/moisterizer first! lipstick, liner and i'm gone! whole make-up process- 10 minutes. (i have a "gotta RUN" process that takes less than 2 minutes...eyebrows, swirl of MMU, mascara and lip gloss...bam) i also agree that i can not stand the feel of any liquid foundation any more! it seems very greasy and "masky" on my oily skin. everybody's skin is different and i am glad that i found what works for me. a lot can be said for improper techniques for all make-up application. i really ruined MMU with my newbie techniques! almost all kinds of make-up can be very beautiful if applied correctly! have fun everyone! i am rather enjoying playing with my new toys!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |