Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5%
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I got this a few weeks ago. Following the "sensitive skin rule" because I've not used retinol products before, I have been applying it once a week.

The peeling begins around the 3rd or 4th day after usage. In my first week, I peeled like crazy - I was taking little rolls of skin off my face! In addition, I had some erythema and stinging.

The subsequent few weeks were slightly better in that although I peeled, the erythema and stinging was less and didn't last for more than 2 days.

The cream is very lightweight and goes on smoothly. Although my skin felt a bit dry, I followed their instructions not to apply anything else. The cream didn't sting on application and my face looked normal the next day.

I'll definitely continue using it, and will try to step it up to twice a week usage soon. I've also noticed that a few blackheads surfaced and were easily removed. Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Bad Bird - Glad for this review, as I'm thinking of trying it myself. I considered buying the 1.0% because I use creams with retinol now and then and thought I'd be able to tolerate the higher percentage (even though SC recommends starting with the .5% product). I guess straight retinol is stronger -- I'll definitely try the weaker solution first. Thanks!!!
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hey April! wave

I think the tolerance depends on what kind of retinol you have been using. I think nothing can beat the irritation level of prescription retinoid acids. Which are you using? I was surprised at the peeling I got from the SkinCeuticals, which was not even prescription!

I've also tried a sample of the Avene Ystheal Cream which contains Retinaldehyde. This is lovely - no irritation at all. I'm currently using their Ystheal Eye Cream - only after 2 weeks of near daily use did I get a bit of redness in the eye area!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bad Bird - I've been equivocating about this product for a couple of reasons: first, I can't tolerate prescription retinoids -- they're all way too harsh for me and the redness and peeling make my skin look worse, not better; secondly, other products I've used with retinol have been fairly low dosages of it.

After thinking more about your review, I'm less inclined to try it -- memories of all that irritation still haunt me.

I generally don't consider myself as having sensitive skin, but when it comes to Vit.A derivatives, I guess I have an issue!

Thanks again for your input Very Happy
SaffronRouge
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, if you are currently using prescription retinals, the SC product shouldn't irritate you.
dreamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have used its sample before.I heard retinol is effective to oily skin and acne scar.So I expected good result.
But it did't work to me.my skin is irritated by it and happen blackhead.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried this also and loved it. I really want to try Avene retinol but it is not sold in Canada.
lbianca
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I use the SC retinol 1 and don't have any peeling at all, maybe minor flaking at best.
It does feel good and prevents shine though.
MissCay
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi~ I am new to there Embarassed ~

I am using SC retinol 1.0 (used 0.5 before).
I have combination/sensitive skin. Actually I don't apply it to the whole face, just on the T-zone.
It doesn't cause an obvious peeling effect on me, but just a little bit flaking. It cannot give you an instant effect but I can see it does work gradually, so I would keep on using this product.
Debster1000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I've tried this also and loved it. I really want to try Avene retinol but it is not sold in Canada.

Shoppers Drug Mart now sells Avene retinol products for those of us in Canada.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Debster1000 wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Shoppers Drug Mart now sells Avene retinol products for those of us in Canada.

That is great! Thank you for letting me know.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote
I started on the skinceuticals retinol .5 two weeks ago after I did a peel, and i have to say, it's keeping my pores so small. I notice a little peeling which is resolved with layering some moisturizer on top. i have a feeling the retinol will be a staple for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 am      Reply with quote
I used to use .5 then stepped up to 1.0 version. They are both very well formulated retinol products. The results and the amount of peeling is very predictable.

The texture is very slippery and I didn't like it at first. But now used to it.

I have trouble with the products rubbing off from my face to my upper neck and around the eyes via the pillow. As a consequence, I have redden corners of my eyes and patches on my neck.

Otherwise, it has done wonder for my oiler/ bumpy skin. Even my BT commented on how my pores have shrunk!
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:46 am      Reply with quote
This is one that I really want to try. I just have to finish up my green cream and some Ultraceutical products and I can move on to this.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Pal, I got the green cream too. The texture is very very different from the Skinceutical.

The later definitely lasts twice as long.

I found the Green Cream too mild.

Which strength do you use and how do you find it?
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using PSF Retinol Nite Repair 1% for a little over 2 months. I have had no peeling at all, I find it very mild and my skin absorbs it well.

I haven't noticed any improvements in my skin but perhaps it's too early to expect any. Also at my age it would take a lot longer to see improvements. My skin has got a bit dry but it might be due to the winter months.

All in all I like PSF.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:00 am      Reply with quote
i am thinking about going back to skinceuticals after experimenting with stronger retinoid products. retin-a just caused cracks in the corners of my mouth that takes forever to heal, and gives me scaly skin for too long. i remember my skin being quite happy on the skinceutical one. i worry about the smaller dose of retinol not being as effective now that i am older.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:33 am      Reply with quote
I want to know is there incentives for sensitive skin?
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 am      Reply with quote
I think this product works just like the retin a that you get a prescription for thru the doctor but it is cheaper your skin will be a little sensitive & you will peel a little
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 am      Reply with quote
i don't think retinol is as effective as retin-a. there's a lot of information about those that i don't remember anymore. retin-a is more bioavailable or smaller particles or something. i did use perfect complexion products that were spiked with retinol and it seemed quite effective but then i did peel for days on end.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
beautyrose: no, Retin A and retinol are quite different. Retinol require an enzyme in your skin to convert it from inactive to active form. Retin A works differently and hence require a much lower concentration.

All retinoids will thinning the skin. It depends how your skin is sensitive and what makes your skin sensitive. It's rather a generic term.

I find the Green Cream the most gentle, at 0.3% strenght. The results will be slow and peeling may not be obvious.

Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |