Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIYers, how do I make skin-friendly glue a la Frownies
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to make my own frownies www.frownies.com
I mean it's only a bit of paper and glue, but I can't think how to make a skin-friendly glue. Any thoughts? thanks M
Elainakay
5% products discount

Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
That is sooooo funny because I was also thinking about that just the other night. I would like to develop something for myself that was a little shearer. Not real crazy about the brown rice paper triangle during the day. However I have found some wonderful matte tape that works quite well if I am just out walking or gardening etc.
My thoughts were maybe something with egg white or a flour base glue. That is if you could make it thin enough. Let me know if you come up with something. In the meantime I shall stick with my frownies and tape. Razz
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
What about using wide medical tape that is used for taping bandages?
It is made for skin so it should be face friendly. I'm just not sure if it would be strong enough. I have never used frownies so I don't know how strong they are.
joani

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I was gonna suggest a hard drying mask but I see they need to be on for 3 hours....wow!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I had a deep furrow on my forehead and started applying surgeon's tape every night. It's the biz! At one time I had to poke out my makeup with my fingernail and now its at the stage where nothing collects in it Very Happy This tape is invisible and could actually be worn during the day if you have bangs, nobody would see it Smile

Anya
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions

I have tried surgical tape before and really struggled with putting it on right because I have to reposition and reposition and then getting it off seemed to pull badly.

Anya, do you know exactly what kind of tape that is? does it have a name? Might try and get hold of some.

In the meantime I've just been moistening plain old printer paper (probably full of bad chemicals, I know) with water and holding it on til it sticks and it seems fairly good.

M
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly
It's called "Transpore" and made by 3M. I'm not sure if its available in drug stores. I got it from my Dr. after my "eye job" Very Happy It's transparent, doesn't have high adhesion, so its easy to apply and remove. I just tear off narrow strips and apply, so a roll will last forever!

Anya
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Anya, I'll make a note and try and get hold of some when I'm back in the UK. I tried some 3M stuff before but it doesn't sound the same. M
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Where can I buy it?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Does it have to be special medical tape? Wouldn't ordinary tape ... the type you use for bandages work?

I mean ... I could wait until Hubby is asleep ... put a bit of sticking plaster over my frownies ... and leave it there until morning. [Although I suppose I'd have to wake up before Hubby so I could rip it off before he saw me! Laughing ]

Still ... appearances aside ... wouldn't ordinary bandaging type tape work?

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't see why 'any' tape wouldn't work Confused The intent is to prevent the muscles from contracting during sleep and to give them a rest. I had suggested the surgeon's tape, only because that's what I had on hand and used successfully. Who knows, even Scotch tape might do the job Very Happy

Anya
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I've used all sorts of tapes. (even duct tape because someone said the glue would dissolve moles). The problem is that I sometime had glue residue that was very hard to remove. CVS has many tapes in the wound section that can be used. The papery tapes have very weak glue but the clothy ones are more comfortable. There are also silicone gel pads that I sometimes use to treat the line on the side of my mouth (make a nice overnight occlusive dressing for your actives or healing if you overdo a peel).
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Well surgical tape works beautifully but hurts soooo bad taking it off and started to make my skin hurt afterwards. I had called 3M (the people who make surgical and regular Scotch tape) and they warned me that wearing this every day each time you pull it off it takes old as well as new skin cells off. I didn't have this problem with the Scotch tape...I could get that off with no problem, but I asked them if its safe to use the Scotch tape on my skin every day and they said they didn't recommend it because its not designed for that....I don't know if that means that its adhesive is "unsafe". So I just ordered Frownies to see how they work because this Scotch and Surgical tape wear has made my forehead wrinkles almost non-existant. Hope the Frownies work just as well.
ctousley

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Try using Furlesse. It's a new product that I just launched for furrow lines. It's a form-fitted patch, made out of medical grade adhesive, that is super easy to apply and take off. It's leaves my skin nice and smooth.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
I'd like to make my own frownies
but I can't think how to make a skin-friendly glue. Any thoughts? thanks M

Stevia Extract is as sticky and gluey as the day is long, and is also good for the skin!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
NIGHT WIND

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Where can you buy furlesse?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.furlesse.com/free500/

Free sample.
Angelfire
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
The other night I was trying to apply the Frownies to my laugh lines which I usually don't do since after applying night cream, it's hard to make them stick. So I ended up just wetting one, and rubbing the sticky solution on the lines. When I woke, my frown line area felt like I had applied the Frownie itself, and this got me to thinking how my skin feel more tight after wearing Frownies because of the vegetable glue, like when I tried one of the "instant face lift" type products. So to make a similar product, I used some Gum Arabic which is a hardened sap from the Acacia tree. It's and edible substance which is used in many products so since I had some~you can buy it in Ethnic supermarkets for next to nothing, I put some of the hard crystals in water and then rubbed the water on my face and neck. Before trying, I had look online and found out that it contains glycoproteins and polysaccharides.
So I know this is a bit long winded, but I think that Gum Arabic would make a good skin glue and possible skin tightener.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:

Free sample.

I just ordered! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Hermosa wrote:

Free sample.

I just ordered! Very Happy

Me too. FYI: offer expires on 6/30/10
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |