Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sometimes I wonder WHY Do we EVEN need Moisturiser?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:37 am      Reply with quote
1) Afterall, the skin we see (top most layer) is dead skin anyway, (or so i read) and so why do we even need moisturiser?

2) is it feel good factor or look good to moisturiser dead skin(top most layer)

3) and if so, is there a need to spend on top quality products to moisturiser dead skin?

4)And is it truth that moisturisers act on surface while serums work under surface? in that case, shouldn't we all use serums instead?

just ranting and puzzled Cool
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:46 am      Reply with quote
I never even touch moisturiser any more!!!!!
Yes it's true for us oilies, we don't need moisturiser, look at the Dr Hauaschka philosophy Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Hey there

Its just my opinion but I think oily peeps really do need to moisturise. When you do this, you trick cells into producing less oil.

Thats just my view of how things work though. I think Decleor have a similar philosophy with their Ylang Ylang oil - it reprogrammes the cells to produce less oil - through adding oil.

Rosebud - do you not moisturise because youve had difficulty finding one that doesnt break you out? Or is this not a problem and you choose not to moisturise anyway?

I thought it might be the former (rather than belief) which is why you dont moisturise.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
In the old days, moisturisers used to be just a barrier to prevent TEWL. Then it evolved into more and more sophisticated concoctions which make moisturisers seem not like moisturisers anymore. From a simple barrier to water loss, manufacturers start to add AHAs, antioxidants, "firming" ingredients, retinol ... you name it. Then they went even further to add immediate skin (and mind) improving results such as soft focus technology to soften lines, aromatherapy, mattifying effects ...

So, nowadays, when we talk about "moisturisers", we probably are applying them not just for moisture per se but rather all the other benefits.

However, I still believe that moisturisers are not absolutely necessary depending on what other products you are using and your skin type. Afterall, most moisturisers do not penetrate deep enough to have a "permanent" effect unless you are talking about things like retinol or AHAs, or just simply, as moiturisers are supposed to do in the old days, prevent moisture loss.
Nickle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I just don't buy it when I'm told my oily skin is "dehydrated". Putting moisturizer on my skin just breaks me out more, since my problem is excess sebum production - and no topical will change that, since it's governed by genetics and hormones. I won't go back to the local spa selling Yonka products where they told me I needed to buy their most intensive moisturizer. They don't have a clue about my skin. My philosophy is, if you feel dry or tight, then moisturize. If you don't, then don't. A basic moisturizer is fine for most people. I prefer to save my money for treatment serums! (P.S. Moisturizer won't prevent wrinkles - only UVA blocking sunscreen will.)
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:17 am      Reply with quote
I also think that today the cosmetic industry exaggerates our need for sophisticated moisturisers...

I had really oily skin at one stage.. to the point where I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling so gross I would have to wash my face again.. but that was when I was using stuff like L'oreal and Garnier.

When I started using DH products, one of the ladies at the health shop said it would still be good to put one or two drops of oil on the t-zone at night, to stop your skin from creating excess sebum again after cleansing.

I have been using only natural cleansers and moisturisers for about a year (after a VERY nasty stint with Clinique crap).. and only now has my skin started to heal.

I'm not sure if anyone else has the same 'peeve'.. but I have to use a cleanser that gets rid of the greasy feel on my skin.. or else I can't stand it after it dries!!
anon
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:54 am      Reply with quote
i have the oily outside inside dry skin syndrome

(now its normal)

i loathe clinique and their 123 system
how could anyone use that is beyond my comprehension

ok clinique lovers r gonna bash me now Surprised
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I have quite oily skin and breakout quite a bit. I did give up using moisturizers for a period of 6 months. All I know is that my skin looked worse afterwards. So now, I use some and it helped my skin.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I believe moisturizers should be for what they claim to be..moisture. I use the most basic moisturizer i can, to avoid all the nasty AHa's and such..and i do think lack of moisture can screw up your skin and cause excess oil. When i was in my early teens i got a couple of zits and my sister took me to the store and bought all this "oil-free" stuff. Those years ruined my skin and made my skin feel so tight and greasy all at the same time...horrible if i do say:(

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Alright, I’m going to have to jump in here with my 2¢. I don’t use a moisturizer, per se. The only time I ever apply a moisturizer is when I use an oil control product that dries me out too much so that my face feels dry and tight -- and believe me, it takes a hell of a lot to make *my* face feel that way!! -- but I certainly don’t use a moisturizer in my day-to-day life. I don’t need to, my skin makes more than enough “moisture” by itself, by virtue of excess sebum production.

Which is why I have to take serious exception to the following statement by Nickle:
Nickle wrote:
....Putting moisturizer on my skin just breaks me out more, since my problem is excess sebum production - and no topical will change that, since it's governed by genetics and hormones.
Based upon my own experience and the results reported to me by other EDS members whom I have "counseled" who share my particular affliction of super oily skin, I have to say that there IS a topical product that will help regulate excess sebum production.

It's not going to completely stop the "oil pump," but it scales back the production of oil enough so that it makes a *noticable* difference. Of course, one product isn't going to solve the problem all by itself, so you need to use products that coordinate and compliment each other in order to prevent oily breakthrough 30 minutes after you've washed your face and applied your makeup. I've found that particular regimen and stable of products that work for me.

After much initial skepticism, I am now a firm believer in the "fight fire with fire" concept of oil control. Perhaps the philosophy of using-oil-on-top-of-oil-to-reduce-oil might seem oxymoronic to some, but I can honestly say that it has made a remarkable difference in my life *and* in my skin.

Which topical wonder product am I referring to? Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang oil. I believe in it so much that I'm willing to make a homemade batch of Ylang Ylang oil and send it to Nickle absolutely free of charge so she can see if it will be part of the solution for her. All she needs to do is to PM me to accept this offer.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, carekate! I've PM'd you.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |