Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Product-specific makeup fetish?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:32 am      Reply with quote
After just reading a review of a blush, I have come to the conclusion that I must be addicted to certain makeup products. For example, I have more blushes that I care to admit to and yet I keep using the same one all the time. I also seem to be heading in the same direction with mascaras although I'd like to think that I'm not yet there Laughing

Is there any specific makeup product that you have LOTS of and keep buying more even though you have a favorite one that you keep using?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Not make-up exactly, but I do have a thing for lip balms. Not nearly as bad as Carekate though Laughing . She is a woman obsessed! Very Happy
I buy a lot of normal lip balms but I tend to go more for tinted lip balms or lip glosses. Most of them end up in the bottom of my bag collecting fluff. I very rarely finish using one. There is always another one I spy in a store that I just have to purchase.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:59 am      Reply with quote
I am the same with lip gloss. I really only wear one, but I have about 5 laying around at any given time. I tell myself to stop buying them, but I think I might really need them one day...Smile

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Oh yeah, I can identify with those too! I have way too many lipglosses considering that I'm one of "those" people that can't get into the habit of reapplying it during the day Embarassed I tend to use different ones all the time as well - no clear favorite that I stick to.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:57 am      Reply with quote
me too with the lip balms!

i have small pots of the stuff lying around all over my house and a few in my desk drawer at work.

i've taken to using them on my cuticles (toes + fingers) just to keep my collection at a reasonable size.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:10 am      Reply with quote
I'm another one to join the lip balm hoarders Laughing I have so many lying around, I think it's because you can pick them up so cheaply that you never feel guilty buying one Rolling Eyes Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Eye shadows, especially if they are in cute pots. I love them so much, but in reality I look better with a neutral tone. I just can't bear to think that I am too old to wear emerald green eyeshadow or that I may have to give all my glimmers to mini-me (over my dead body).

I am still looking for the perfect deep green eyeshadow. If anyone knows of one let me know.

Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:55 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I am still looking for the perfect deep green eyeshadow. If anyone knows of one let me know.

Not sure how dark/deep you want it but here are some green mineral shadows you might not have looked at:-

BareFaced Minerals
Pure Luxe Cosmetics (scroll down - Kisses in the Dark looks a nice green)
Cory Cosmetics
Cory Cosmetics 2
J Lynne Cosmetics

Some of them are listed as eyeliners but is it ok to use mineral eyeliners as eyeshadow too? I'm still new to the whole mineral thing and so don't know if the products are multi-purpose or not. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Ooooh you are so bad! Laughing the erins green and kisses in the dark look just right.

Oh well, who says I have to stick with neutrals because they are more flattering. I'm gonna have fun Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Lipgloss and perfume Rolling Eyes My favorite is Tresor,but everywhere in the house I have all kinds of perfume bottles.And lipgloss Embarassed is in bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, .....$$$, too many!!!!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Lipstick. I would be totally embarrassed to tell you how many I have. Embarassed 3/4th of the colors I hate. Look good in the tube but not on me. Bad Grin
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have a couple things that I just keep buying

-toothpaste
-lip balm & glosses
-moisturizers

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:17 am      Reply with quote
I'm not even going to talk about perfume because I'd sound like a freak. I usually cover it up by saying that I "collect" perfume - that makes it sound more like a hobby than something pathological Laughing

Winnie - have you ever thought about melting your lippied down into a palette? That way you can mix some of the colors and get some really nice ones. I'm planning on doing this but need to get my hands on a Japonesque well palette Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
damn, I forgot about lippies, I have about 30, including a dior one that is about 20 years old!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy - I have a lot of blushes as well. Though perhaps it's because I'm still looking for the perfect one. My skin is so pale that everything looks too dark on me, but generally the lightest ones are too blue-based for my skin, which is somewhere between yellow and pink. I noticed you once mentioned Stila Petunia on another thread. I rushed to the local Saks and they don't carry Stila any longer Crying or Very sad Can you describe the Petunia color/consistency for me? It looks promising on Sephora's website -- not too blue or too orange.

Thanks, April
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:43 am      Reply with quote
April, another blush you should look at is Sorbet by BE. It looks really *bright* in the jar, but it goes on so light! So, you can really build it up to a level you are comfortable with. I am very fair also, NC 20 in MAC and 1.0 in BE.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
I collect eyeshadows...i always use a white one underneath but i love using daring colors on my lids...i never looked any good with browns or beiges...ive gotten so many compliments even trying a neon green eyeshadow with some black liner...i usually stick to more sultry shades like plum and charcoal shades when i want to go out at night...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Winnie - have you ever thought about melting your lippied down into a palette? That way you can mix some of the colors and get some really nice ones. I'm planning on doing this but need to get my hands on a Japonesque well palette

Shock Awesome idea Mabsy Very Happy I would have never thought of such a thing. Let me know if you find a site to get a palette.

Many thanks
Mabsy

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
Shock Awesome idea Mabsy Very Happy I would have never thought of such a thing. Let me know if you find a site to get a palette.

I know Naimies stocks them (but I think they use FedEx to ship o/s which makes it too $$$ for me). Should be fine within US though. http://www.naimies.com/shopping/index.asp?ca=517&cas=597 (ETA: click on "Makeup Palette Organizers").

For a very good tutorial on how to make your own palettes have a look at http://www.makeupalley.com/board/m.asp?id=21195717&ipn=1 - illustrated and they show you the final products (uses a Japonesque palette as well).

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:09 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Can you describe the Petunia color/consistency for me? It looks promising on Sephora's website -- not too blue or too orange.

Sorry April, I must have got confused with Peony and Petunia (I always do Embarassed ). Petunia has long been on my list to buy but I have not got it yet. My fave Stila blush is the Amaryllis rouge pot though (in the pic below - it's a bit lighter than how it looks in the photo though). The Stila Gladiola CC (the scary bright orange looking thing is actually lovely on my pale skin - I almost never tried it because of how it looks in the pan). Stila Peony CC (the smaller CC pan in the picture) is also very natural but more of an earthy color. I also like GA Sheer Creme Blush #4 (bottom RHS in photo) and the Stila blush from their August palette (I think the blush they put in that palette is the Tutu one).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
For a very good tutorial on how to make your own palettes have a look at http://www.makeupalley.com/board/m.asp?id=21195717&ipn=1 - illustrated and they show you the final products (uses a Japonesque palette as well).

Thanks Mabsy!! No excuse now. I can blend my colors. Dancing
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Mabsy for going to the trouble!!! I should be braver like you and try some things I normally wouldn't, but as it is, the TuTu color would be my pick of the lot. The big orange compact looks like Stila. The Petunia shade I saw on Sephora was a pale warm rose color. Sometimes, blushes that look kinda red in the pan look good on me, but again, it's hard to keep it light on my pale skin.

faith - thanks for the tip about Sorbet. I've been mulling over MMU since joining this forum! And my hair salon/spa has started selling Jane Iredale (but not the flocked sponge!). I have reservations though because my sunscreen is oily and could pose an application challenge. Also, some people have said MMU accentuates pores and lines. At least I can try some now. But I generally end up using cream blushes more than powdered ones. This could be part of my problem -- they're harder to control. Maybe a gel would be sheerer?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Toe wrote:
Not make-up exactly, but I do have a thing for lip balms. Not nearly as bad as Carekate though Laughing . She is a woman obsessed! Very Happy
Geez, am I that predictable?? *Hangs head in shame*

Seriously, though, it's not just lip balms or lip plumpers that I'm hooked on. I guess my mouth really must be my fetish because I go through stages of buying lip sticks or glosses or whatever. For example, two years ago I got hooked on Lancome's "Juicy Rouge" lipsticks and had to buy one in nearly every color. I wore them exclusively for about six months, until the next lip-obsession product came along and I haven't touched them since (in fact, I happened upon them when I was packing for my move last month and forgotten that I'd had them).

Then I became obsessed with Sephora's brand of lipsticks and I don't even remember how many of them I bought. Embarassed For a couple of years, I was addicted to finding the perfect sheer orange (yes, ORANGE) lip color after seeing a photo in a fashion mag of a model wearing minimal eye makeup and a strong, sheer orange lip for summer. The model had my coloring and *she* looked fantastic so I wanted to imitate it. Even now, I'm still unnaturally drawn to peachy and/or orangey lip colors, be they lipstick, lipgloss or lipstains.

I also went through a phase were all I would be was lip stains. You name the brand and I tried it. Thank God for Sephora's return policy or I would probably have to file for bankruptcy!! I'm only half joking. For the record, the absolute best lip stain that I have ever tried are the ones from Vincent Longo. They are simply the best: longlasting, but non-drying. I am *still* trying to find the perfect orange/peachy lip stain. I thought I'd found the winner with the Sephora Lip Marker in "Apricot" that I bought on my last trip to their store, but even though the color is what I was looking for, the stuff is way too drying and has no staying power whatsoever. Also, I'll have you know that I recently convinced Rzecka to worship with me at the alter of Vincent Longo's Cheek/Lip Gel Stain in "Liquid Kiss"....That was my act of Good Samaritanism for the month, if anyone is keeping score! Wink

Let's see, what was next? Oh, yeah: the ill-fated foray into the "Plump My Pucker" glosses in the obnoxious little plastic pots. (This was around the time that I moved heaven and earth and spent over $60USD on that Sothys lip moisturizer stuff that was supposed to smooth out my liplines, but I digress....) Then it was CityLips plumping gloss in clear, then the mini-set with all the colored versions. Wore them exclusively for a month until I succumbed to the spell of DuWop's Venom Gloss after reading all the raves on MUA. Collected all the colors, but eventually returned all but two ("Tulip" and "Lily"), although I haven't worn them since....Hmmm, that reminds me: I'm wearing red today and don't have a red lipstick or gloss with me, so I better dig out that tube of Tulip from the bottom of my purse where it's been collecting hair, threads, tobacco flakes, gum wrappers and various other debris at the bottom of my purse since I banished it there in January.

Uh-oh, I'm having a stupid spasm -- what was my lip obsession after the Venom Glosses? Oooh, now I remember: it was the NARS Orgasm Lip Gloss and clear Lip Fusion, which -- fortunately for me -- remains my primary lip products even now, three months down the line, although I *did* make a brief foray into the MAC Tinted Lip Conditioners ("Gentle Coral" and "Fuschia Fix" are currently taking up space in my lip makeup bag -- yes, I have a separate makeup bag in my purse for lip products only!!), but keep coming back to the LipFusion and Orgasm gloss. Can you believe that I've only succumbed to buying *one* of the colored versions of LipFusion ("Glow")? I wonder what will come along next that my lips can't live without?

Actually, I've been eyeballing the Stila Convertible Color blush/lip compact in "Petunia," although -- needless to say -- I wouldn't be buying it for my cheeks! (Hey, Blush Maven, have you tried the Stila CCs and how do they work on lips? Are they too drying, like the NARS Multiple?) Payday is tomorrow and I haven't decided how I'm going to spend it yet....I think I need some family and friends to stage an intervention. Maybe we can be on an episode of that intervention program on A&E where family members and friends confront their loved ones addicted to gambling or smack -- Please, God, somebody stop me!! I mean, because my fetish is lip products, I can't even swap or trade my cast-offs on MUA....

And, lest we forget, the above shameful confessions do not even include the impressive collection of all of the lip balms, treatments and topical lip plumpers (Hydroderm, Swellips, the Simon Solution, etc.)
that I have powered through these last nine months. Actually, I blame all of that on my fellow EDS-ers. Until I joined up, my only folly was the lipsticks/glosses/stains. As far as lip balm/treatments/plumpers were concerned, I was perfectly satisfied with my humble little jar of Carmex until I met you people!!!!

I guess the only thing that runs a not-so-close 2nd to my lip obsession would be eye products like eyeliner (my all-time loves are Smashbox cream eyeliner and MAC Fluidlines Gel eyeliner), mascaras (I used to search for the perfect burgundy or navy waterproof, curling mascara, but since I'm now tinting my own lashes, I'm lemming clear mascaras) and eyelash curlers, although I can say with no small amount of pride that I've never succumbed to the lure of the Shu Umra (sp!) and the other one who's name I can't remember that is supposed to be the holy grail of traditional eyelash curlers. I've even got Mabsy in on this, sending her out to shop this weekend to buy me a Model Co Lash Wand heated curler and matching Lash Gloss....

Wait, should I also count my new hobby of trying to concoct homemade versions of various skincare products? I don't think that should count because my motives are completely altruistic: my concern is only to help others save money while having beautiful skin. Honest. The fact that on payday tomorrow, I'm going to have to shell out money to buy another large "train case" to hold the rest of my tools, pots, potions and EOs because they no longer fit in the first two large train cases only illustrates my absolute dedication and devotion to this cause, so I don't think that should count as one of my fetishes!!

Hmmmm, I wonder if delusions are covered by the mental health clause in my health insurance coverage...hey, do you think they would give us a group-discount if we all sought counseling for our makeup/skincare addictions?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:35 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I am still looking for the perfect deep green eyeshadow. If anyone knows of one let me know. Rolling Eyes
Oh, Baby -- do I know of one!! There's this seller on Ebay, Birdy2U, and she's started her own mineral makeup line called "Mystic Minerals," and I adore her stuff because she's fanatical over green shades, too. I mean, she's got just about every shade and nuance of green in her collection and the colors are like nothing I've ever seen before. She sells sample jars for $1.99 each, and the samples are so generous that I don't think I could ever use one up in my lifetime (much less a full-size jar of mineral e/s). Really, Liz, you need to check her out. Of course, in addition, she also has just about every foundation, blush and eyeshadow shade ever made by BE, as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am      Reply with quote
P.S. Oh, dear. Embarassed I just thought of another one of my fetishes. I guess you could say it’s a foot fetish, actually! I collect nail polishes. It started out specifically as collecting orange/peachy polishes – to go with my perfect orange/peachy lip. First it was just cheapie drugstore stuff, then I got hooked on OPI and tried to collect almost every color they made, including the oranges and peaches. For two years, I wouldn’t use anything else when I gave myself a pedicure (my fingernails, on the other hand, are a completely different story – totally a lost cause!). Now I’m hooked on Essie polishes and won’t use anything else. I’m desperately combing all of the stores in Austin that offer Essie products, trying to find two shades, “Pansy” and “Fleur de Lis,” I think I’m going to have to eventually breakdown and order them on the internet because I’m running out of places to look....

This is no joke people, I think I really *do* need someone to stage an intervention! :oop:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |