Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Constipated Cats!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Josie the cat has been constipated for the last couple of days so we had to bite the bullet and take her to the vets.
She weed all over me on the way down and we had to leave her there as she needs an enima Shock
I felt like crying coming out, you could hear her yawing her little heart out. Got into the car to find she'd weed all over the seat belt as well - it stunk!!!!
When we got back - we are having work on the electrics and yes the electrics were all off Rolling Eyes by this time cat wee was soaked through my knickers Confused - I just bit the bullet and had a freezing cold shower Laughing
Still waiting for them to call so we can pick her up.......and all I can smell is cat wee!!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I'm surprised I can't smell you from here! Very Happy
When my cat's bunged up I put a small dose of liquid paraffin on her food and that seems to loosen things up a bit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:19 am      Reply with quote
My mom had the sampe problem with her cat. She changed food to some organic cat food that was really high in fiber, and adds fish oil (Omega-3) to the cat food. She hasn't had a problem since & the new food/oil mixture has really cut down on hairballs too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:28 am      Reply with quote
As pbsadhaka mentioned I put 1 tsp. of fish oil in Max and Penny's food everyday. It really does help. HTH ... Winnie

What we go though for the love of our pets. Wink
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
We got her home and poor bugger was swaying around the house, she'd had a full anesthetic.
I had to laugh watching her sway round the house checking everything with doped up eyes Wink . The vets gave us some tins of special food and it looks like pate (fois gros) and I looked at the ingredients and IT IS PATE!!!! Hmmm yum yum Laughing
Of course she threw it all back up then wanted more. The dog is following her evrywhere looking after her - the cat trying her best at magic pawing the dog and completely missing Laughing Bless her Wink
She's going to have to learn to like Cod Liver Oil I think Laughing

Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I hope she's better now and that it's not a recurring problem. Doesn't sound pleasant at all - not for you and not for the cat!

This reminds me, though, of a story I read on the web a few weeks back that one of my colleagues passed on to me. I guess it's education/warning for people who find themselves in the unenviable position of having to give their cat an enema themselves. I hope this doesn't offend anyone - it's supposed to be a true story although told in a somewhat crass manner. http://www.catenema.com/cat1.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Mabsy I was in tears of laughter reading this, so was the boyfriend Laughing I keep thinking she will soon be bunged up again Anxious - and $15 how cheap is that, it cost us £108!!!! did I mention that the vet drives a BMWx3 Rolling Eyes
I think I'll be performing the next enima myself too Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud, does your cat have access to fresh water? Never heard of a cat being constipated. Strange huh?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
OMG - my sick kitty Buster has been constipated off and on since his latest bout of troubles. I've gotten over the fear of administering his subQ fluids, but I don't think I can do an enema :-& Mabsy, that link was a riot! But I'm going to try the fish oil and see if that helps. If anyone on the forum has actually done a feline enema, I'd sure like to hear about it.

rosebud, I hope your kitty gets better soon, the poor baby! I feel for you -- the vet bills for Buster these last 6 months have been killing (almost $2,000 so far) but he's worth it.
Mabsy

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Glad you found it funny. I was afraid that someone might find it offensive because I sent it to a lady at work (who loves cats) and she got upset about it. Guess she never had a constipated cat Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Update, enima worked - cat's got diareah now Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:25 am      Reply with quote
rosebud,

Glad to hear Josie is all better Laughing If this happens again, ask your vet for a rx stool softener. This is an oral liquid that your can give on a regular basis. Adding fish oil may help, also get a food with higher fiber %. Lastly, adding a few teaspoons of canned pumplin to her regular diet also helps with constipation. It has lots of fiber and most cats seem to like it.

I work in an animal hospital and had held a few angry cats for enema (no sedation). Very Happy

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:24 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Update, enima worked - cat's got diareah now Laughing
rofl - sorry just couldn't help but laugh! Seeing as it's gone from one extreme to the other, there is hope that in a few days it will just equalise Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:17 am      Reply with quote
We got a stool softener called latulose, it's all over my clothes Laughing There is no way Josie wants that down her throat Confused
She is not herself though, very quiet, god knows what brain cells the anesthetic must have killed, or it might be shock from what's she's had done.
On saying that I made myself a really nice chicken salad, the next thing I know she's there, I'm too soft, I ended up with salad, Josie got all the chicken Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, lactulose is very effective if it end up in Josie's stomach Laughing

Hope her diarrhea is better now after the chicken treat Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:52 am      Reply with quote
Oh my god, Mabsy that is so funny.. Laughing

You have to have cats to fully appreciate it!

Rosebud, Sorry Josie has been ill, hope she is getting better now...I give my cats a little bit of butter off my finger twice a week...this seems to help...Also Whiskas beef pouches give my two the runs!!!..

My Gucci has been seriously ill, he got cat flu from the cattery and then got a lung and windpipe infection and was even on ventolin inhalers to help him breathe..we had to get 2 tablets a day down him, get him to eat some powder in his food and also get 3 drops in his mouth to ease his throat! No wonder the vet was smiling as he was telling us this!!

We got more drops over us than in his mouth, took more than 10 atempts to get the table down, everytime we throught he'd swallowed it, we praised him and then he spat it out. I crushed it one day not realising it foams Shock He had yellow froth pouring out of his mouth onto his fur!!! Looked like he was possessed! Laughing Anyway, he's better now than god, but we're £270 lighter!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Gucci cats are so funny, after a failed attempt of trying to administer the lactulose to Josie by syringe, I left it in a bowl and came back to find that Josie was lapping it all up Shock Rolling Eyes , it never occured to me she might willingly lick it all up Laughing
I am so sorry about your Gucci and glad he's better. I think catteries nust have joint partnerships with vets. Josie used to come back with fleas everytime.
She's out sunbathing now as we speak. She has eaten about 1/4 of a chicken too Shock , which is good but the trouble is she will be snubbing her own food now Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:29 am      Reply with quote
If you can give a cat an enema, would you be able to do it to a human, kinda like use the cat as a gineapig?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:14 am      Reply with quote
haha Guapa....I dont see why not?

Any volunteers?? Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:43 am      Reply with quote
(bends over)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:09 am      Reply with quote
gupagirl Laughing god I dread to think what would come out of your a**** Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Some may say the same as my mouth Smile

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:18 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
(bends over)

Eeeep! I'm regretting walking in on THIS conversation! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:24 am      Reply with quote
very funny webpage- 'houdini-like ease' v good.

hope kitty mitty is feeling better. chicken always a good choice
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:14 am      Reply with quote
This reminds me of when we had to medicate Caprice, my 30-pound “wooly warthog” (Maine Coon cat). I can’t remember why we had to give her the pills, but it took two of us to try to get the capsule down her throat. Even though she was declawed in the front (don’t blame me, she was declawed when I adopted her!), she quickly learned to compensate with her back claws. That cat managed to scratch me from my -ism to my -asm all the while one of us is holding her and the other is prying her jaws open to try and drop the pill down her throat. I’m sure I don’t have to describe the fun and frivolity that ensued there-in! I don’t know how many times we tried to get the pill down her throat, but she kept hiding it under her tongue and then spit it out when we let her go thinking that she’d finally swallowed it. By this time, the pill is starting get soggy and starting to dissolve from all the cat saliva from the aborted attempts and still we haven’t managed to get it down her. On the final try, the pill went sailing across the room and the cat struggled and squirmed out of my arms and hit the floor...where she proceeded to sashay across the room, bend down and scoop up the tablet with her scratchy little pink tongue and watch us with her mocking golden-green eyes as swallowed it down the hatch. I guess I don’t have to tell you how disgusted we were!

Anyway....

We’ve had a lot of problems with fleas on the cats already this year (probably because we didn’t really have much of a winter down here and summer actually seemed to start way back at the end of February), so just recently we started buying jars of minced or diced garlic stored in oil (can typically be found in the fresh produce aisle, next the bulbs of fresh garlic). Then, when take a teaspoon of the oil from the jar of minced garlic and stir it into the cats’ dry friskies/kibble/cereal (whatever you guys call it over/under there) and give it to them. Believe it or not, they don’t seem to mind the taste! (Maybe I’ve just got Mediterranean cats??) See, the garlic oil gets into the cats’ bloodstream and fleas hate the taste of garlic, so they stop biting the cats and seek other “hosts” to dine on.

We first tried this garlic experiment by shaking a little garlic powder over their friskies, but the cats revolted against that and staged a hunger strike under we relented. Of course, as soon as we stopped, the fleas started to come back. We got the idea for using the garlic oil one night when I made my famous Spaghetti Marinara and were eating a loaf of french bread dipped in garlic/olive oil as starters and my cats were begging under the table for a bite and inspiration struck!

The bonus of this is that the garlic oil also helps to keep their furry little “pipes” lubricated so there is no more constipation, and the cats also reap the same benefits from the garlic oil as humans do by taking garlic supplements! So it’s a win-win situation. The only downside is that now my little feline children have a serious case of garlic-breath! But I’m willing to put up with it if it keeps the fleas away, because not only are they bloodsucking little vampire nuisances, but they can also transmit diseases and/or worms to my pussycats.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention this in case anyone wanted to give it a try. It can work for cats and/or dogs....

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |