Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can you make your own AHA's?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sexy28
5% products discount

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
As far as the fruit acid AHA's, is it possible to make a homemade version of it? And what would that consist of? Thanks.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I do believe you can do things with sugar because glycolic acid is a derivative of it. Someone posted a lot of things about using brown sugar recently if you scroll onward a couple of pages you'll find it.
sexy28
5% products discount

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I thought that the glycolic acid was derived from the sugar cane itself, not the crystals. Is there really any significant glycolic acid in sugar crystals whole? I mean the extracts are pretty condensed and concentrated.

What about whole fruits like acid fruits? Rubbing grapefruit or something on your skin as a mask, is that strong enough?
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sexy,

This was posted on DIY by Winnie. I am pasting it here:

Just Peachy Facial Mask (fruit acid peel)
(normal skin)

1 medium peach
1 tablespoons honey
oatmeal

Cook peach until its soft, mash with a fork, add honey and oatmeal until its a thick consistency. Apply to skin. Let sit for 10 minutes, rinse well with cool water.
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Anytime I eat a Papaya or Mango, I save the peel and rub into my face (the inside juicy part)...sometimes I leave it over night, other times just 20 minutes, and it's amazing how rosy and fresh your skin turnes out!

(If you want to try something more hard-core, try rubbing in pineapple...although I must warn the sensitive-skinned ones on this one Wink )

I recently tried a masque from Terresentials organics with rasberrys in it, and it's amazing too...only $17 for about 15 treatments and way less hassle.

Good luck, have fun with fruits! Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:24 am      Reply with quote
FYI - you can buy AHAs/BHAs from The Personal Formulator at this address: http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=59&osCsid=d40ac02dc953cc982f1f78d468e0183e

Here is some info on the individual acids:

Salicylic Acid

Salicylic acid or 2-hydroxybenzoic acid,C6H4(OH)CO2H, is a colorless, crystalline organic carboxylic acid powder that melts at 159°C; it is soluble in ethanol and ether but is only slightly soluble in water. Salicylic acid and its derivatives are toxic when consumed in large amounts.

Salicylic Acid is a beta hydroxy acid derived from the bark of the willow tree. Beta hydroxy acids (BHA) is a larger molecule than their cousin, alpha hydroxy acids. The larger molecule size keeps the beta hydroxy acid on the surface of the skin allowing it to more effectively penetrate and exfoliate within the pore. This action within the pores make it an ideal exfoliant for use on acne and acne-prone skin. The larger molecule size of salicylic acid produces less irritation than alpha hydroxy acids, making it a welcome alternative for those with sensitive skin. Salicylic Acid is best on acne-prone and sensitive skin types. The pore-cleansing properties of salicylic acid make it a more effective comedone fighter. Those with sensitive skin who cannot tolerate alpha hydroxy acids may find that they are able to use salicylic acid with good results. However, alpha hydroxy acid's penetration into the deeper layers of the skin produce better anti-wrinkle and anti-aging benefits. BHA has the ability to penetrate into the pore (AHAs do not), and thus can exfoliate inside the pore as well on the surface of the skin; that makes it effective for reducing blemishes, including blackheads and whiteheads.

The typical use level for salicylic acid is 0.5-2%. A 1% concentration would be better or sensitive skin types and a 2% concentration would be useful on stubborn acne.

As an exfoliant, salicylic acid can actually increase the benefits of other therapies used in conjunction with it. However, care should be taken to watch for signs of excess irritation. If irritation occurs, then it would not be a good idea to continue combining therapies. For acne prone skin, retinol makes a good adjunct therapy for salicylic acid.

Salicylic Acid [AHA03] is assayed to 99.5 - 100.5 %

For your own cheap and quick salicyic acid acid mask, dissolve a couple of uncoated aspirin in water and apply to your face. Leave on 10-15 minutes, then wet fingertips and massage mask onto face, rewetting your fingers frequently, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Glycolic Acid USP 70%

Glycolic Acid is the most popular alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA). In low concentrations (less than 3%) AHAs work as water-binding agents. At concentrations over 4% and in a base with an acid pH of 3 to 4, these can exfoliate skin cells by breaking down the substance in skin that holds skin cells together. Along with lactic acid, it is the effective and well-researched AHAs.

For your own quick, cheap and effective glycolic acid mask, mix a tablespoon of white (granulated) sugar or brown sugar with a bit of honey or your favorite oil (i.e.: grapeseed, jojoba, Vitamin-E, avocado, etc) and apply to your face. Leave on 7-10 minutes, then wet fingertips and massage mask onto face, rewetting your fingers frequently, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Lactic Acid

Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that exfoliates cells on the surface of skin by breaking down the material that holds skin cells together. It may irritate mucous membranes and cause irritation. It is also used to to hydrate and smooth dry, flaking skin. Lactic acid is a colorless transparent liquid with a characteristic odor. It is supplied as a 88% solution and is water, alcohol and glycerol soluble. The typical use level for lactic acid is 1-5%.

For your own quick, cheap and effective lactic acid mask, here is a recipe posted by "IndianT" on pg 3 of the ~~~ DIY Skincare Recipes ~~~ thread:

indianT wrote:
I use this to clean, exfoliate and moisturize my skin evey now and then. In summertime I do follow it up a light cleanser.

1 tbs Milk
1/2 tbs Yoghurt (or 5 drops lemon juice)
2/3 drops of olive or almond oil
1/2 tbs of orange peel power (or cornmeal)
= leave it on for no more than 5 minutes and wash it off with warm water. You'll love the way your skin will feel.

I sometimes alternate between the lemon juice and yoghurt and I leave it on for no more than 5 minute. You will feel the tingle due to the lemon juice.
when u add lemon juice to milk it will change the texture so don't worry.

Citric Acid

Citric Acid is derived from citrus and used primarily to adjust the pH of products to prevent them from being too alkaline or acid-alkali balance. It is also a mild preservative and sequestering agent. It is used in shampoos, conditioners, shower gels and in bath bombs, mixed with sodium bicarbonate makes the water fizz.

The above recipe from IndianT also contains citric acid in the form of lemon juice and/or orange peel, or you could use Winnie's "Just Peachy" facial mask posted by Quacko above and add 1-2 drops of lemon, orange, mandarin, grapefruit, or lime essential oil.

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate, thanks - that's a really useful 'save to face folder' document.

I'm not sure about this peachy recipe though, wouldn't cooking it break down the AHA's in the peach. Just a guess. Anyone?
sillyblurangel
5% products discount

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:08 am      Reply with quote
hi carekate..do u happen 2 know any good products dat consists of SA & BHA? my skin is really sensitive..and no reaction to AHA... Confused i found neutrogena..but it has veri strong fragrant..and i dun tink i can use dat.. too much fragrant not good 4 me ..any suggestions?
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Carrie,
That SA from the personal formulator is really cheap, I noticed. And easier than aspirin...Do you think I could just mix some of that up for a mask? How much do you think? Thanks Smile

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have used many over the couter products and found I am allegic to almost all to commerical products. The only product I am using is Cetephil. I recently found aspirin to work well on my face. I just add a few drops of water in 2 uncoated aspirin tablets. I am very happy with the result. I went ahead to search more info and found this forum.

For Glycolic Acid section, since white sugar is the main ingredient for Glycolic Acid, is honey being used as a binding agent and oil is used for fragrance. If that is the case then maybe I can mix aspirin, white sugar from Domino sugar and lemon juice concentrate that comes in a bottle. These products have great shelf life. I can use plain yogurt as a optional step for lactic acid. Thanks for the help.

Any recommendation to deal with face warts?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Depending on where they are - not around the eyes - you can use TCA for warts. It's what doctors used to use for warts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
You can make your own AHA peel.

Here is a recipe to make a 40% Lactic Peel:

http://skinessentialactives.blogspot.ca/2012/01/lactic-acid-40-gel.html

It's very easy!

I've seen a recipe for an AHA lotion somewhere, but I don't find it now.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |