Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: DDF 10 Glycolic/2 Salicylic - great for pimples
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Well hello again Smile A word of warning, this may well turn out to be a rather wordy review Smile

I think I might have mentioned a while ago that a lady who extracted my whiteheads recommended using a product with 10% Glycolic Acid and 2% Salicylic Acid. She didn't recommend a particular brand, just the composition of the product. She recommended it as a spot treatment for whiteheads and pimples and also said it works well on blackheads.

I got a sample of the DDF one from a friend and have been using this as a spot treatment (and putting Skinceuticals B5 hydrating gel over it before my moisturiser to prevent over-drying my skin).

It worked like a charm! The other day I had a massive inflamed pimple. After using the gel overnight I woke up in the morning to find some of the redness gone and the huge mountain was gone. The redness was almost all gone after the second night of use. I have also been using this on little whiteheads I had that were too small to be extracted. Using this gel about three or four nights in a row on just the whiteheads is enough to get rid of them. By 'get rid of them' I mean to soften them up so they can be easily squeezed out. I think bigger ones would take longer but I don't have anything to 'test' it on at the moment Smile

So basically, I'm really impressed with what this has done. I don't really know if there is a difference between the different brands that have the same composition. I want to try the PTR one as well before I decide on which one I'm going to get. They will probably work the same though.

Keep in mind that I don't have sensitive skin and that I am using this only as a spot treatment. I believe it is quite drying but I haven't had any problems probably because I've been using the B5 gel. I haven't tried to use the product without the hydrating gel on top and I don't really plan to. This combo is working well, if it ain't broke don't fix it Smile

Mabsy.
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
DDF Glycolic Gel 10% (1.7 oz.)
DDF Glycolic Gel 10% (1.7 oz.)

Ideal for normal, oily, problem or combination skin. Helps clarify skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. May be used in the management of oily/acne prone skin to increase cell turnover rate and clear clogged pores.
Reduces oil.
Refines texture.
Minimizes fine lines.
AHA/BHA combination.

siri
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy! Smile

Does this work the same way with blackheads as with whiteheads (softens them so they are easier to extract)? I am thinking about getting some AHA/BHA, and this one sounds great! Do you also put it on after extracting, so to deep clean what is left in the pores?

Have you ever tried to make your own salicylic (BHA) masque from aspirin? I have read a bit about it and maybe I'll try that before I splash out on this one.. You can crush uncoated aspirin with some water and get a very good salicylic treatment. A lot more messy, though, and it is not the same thing of course, as this product. Your review makes this a very tempting product to put on my next EDS shopping list.. Which is way too long already, of course Smile Thanks!
Mabsy

Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Siri,

To be honest I haven't tried extracting my blackheads. I have the implement of torture that is supposed to be used to do it but I could never get it to work properly (it just left red circle-impressions on my nose; like "look here! blackhead in the middle"). So I've put it away and haven't used it.

My blackheads haven't been too bad lately and I have only been using this gel as a spot treatment for pimples and whiteheads so I really can't comment on the blackheads. With regards to using this after extracting blackheads, I'm guessing it might sting a little. This doesn't sting me normally (when I put it on whiteheads) but when I put it on my huge inflamed pimple it did sting a bit (not unbearable but it did sting).

I've also read a lot of good things about the apirin mask on alt.fashion. In fact I bought a 100 pack Bayer aspirin pack with the intention of doing the mask but never got around to it. I'll do it soon and let you know what I think.

Perhaps you should try a sample of the AHA/BHA before investing in it? It's great for my skin but 10% glycolic can be strong for some I hear. All I know is that I woke up today to find my forehead almost free of those tiny little bumps that I've always head. I know they were not visible to anyone but when I looked in the mirror close up and at an angle I could alway see them. Now they're gone so needless to say I'm VERY impressed with this product!!!!

Also, just as an aside, I tried a sample of the Dermalogica Medicated Clearing Gel (salicylic acid only, no glycolic in this one). I was pretty happy with the results at the time but now comparing it to the DDF, the DDF is MILES more effective for me. To the best of my knowledge AHAs (Glycolic) are used to prevent pimples/blackheads/whiteheads (through exfoliation I think) while BHAs (salicylic) are supposed to treat them. That's what I read somewhere though it does not seem to be consistent with the results I got from using the Medicated Gel vs the DDF.

HTH.
Mabsy.
siri
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Mabsy. I agree I should get me a sample of this first, although I tend to not be able to wait and just order the whole thing.. Stupid of me, I know, so this time I'll ask for a sample with the next order. I don't have so many whiteheads or bumps, mostly blackheads on my nose and some on the chin, and exfoliating only doesn't do the trick in the long run. So thank you again, I learn so much from your great reviews!

And EDS makes a lot of money from your reviews! Hope you get the gift sertificate again soon Wink
Mabsy

Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Siri,

I'm like you, it's hard for me to make myself wait and get a sample when I read a review. My initial reacion is to buy buy buy! Smile But I have bought so many products over the years that either didn't agree with me or I simply didn't like that I'm much better at waiting now (though still have my spontenaous moments Smile).

I've just read Leiladao's review of the MD Formulations product and I think I might try to get a sample of that too (and the PTR one). It's also got a AHA/BHA mix (plus vit A) but I'm not sure what the concentrations are.

Regarding blackhead extraction, there is an Australian company called Blackmores that makes a blackhead remover lotion. I'm not sure if you can get Blackmores outside of Australia though. It's cheap, about Au$10 and I've heard great reviews of it. I haven't tried it myself though. It's a lotion that you put on your nose and then put a warm compress over for 15 minutes. Apparently after that you glide the blackhead extractor over your nose and the blackheads easily come out.

Thank you for your kind words Siri, but I think I might have won my fair share of vouchers already Cool I also have so many products at home that I'll be reviewing them for a loooong time coming Smile Mind you, that doesn't stop my list from growing Very Happy

Mabsy.

ps. Here's the link to the Blackmores product info: http://www.blackmores.com.au/products/products_detail.asp?prod=151
Mabsy

Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
A little update. The MD Formulations Vit-A-Plus Clearing Complex has 5% AHA and 5% BHA. So according to what I read about BHAs it should be more effective at getting rid of existing acne problems because it has 3% more BHAs. At least I think it works like that!

Mabsy.
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
That's exactly what i think too, their formulas almost similar between DDF and MD Formulations and also from PTR. The difference is MD Formulations add Retinol-pure Vitamin A. I had also used PTR AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel before but I think it is quite strong for me and I think it's good for spot treatment than for a whole big area. And this is the truth, I am very happy with MD Formulations in the way it can get rid of those whiteheads, esp. my third eye, it's really flatten now.Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Mabsy

Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Ok, so as the subject above says, yet again I caved and bought yet another product. Not a big deal, it only cost Au$10, it's more the feeling of adding yet another product after you said that you wont. But I was doing a bit of grocery shopping and I remembered what I wrote here about the Blackmores Blackhead Remover and decided to test it out.

I'm actually quite impressed with this I think. The reason that I add the "I think" is because this product calls for a warm wash cloth to be placed over your nose for 15 minutes. The product was actually impressively effective but I don't know what 15 minutes with a washcloth and no product would do (the same maybe? dunno, haven't tried).

The product is simply called "Blackhead Remover" and it's a milky coloured gel-lotion which you apply to your nose and then put a warm wash cloth over for 15 minutes. It's actually quite tedious because you have to keep the cloth warm so I had to reheat it in the microwave about 5 times. Each time I felt like the lotion was gone so I applied some more as well.

After all that trouble I rinsed my face and gently (ok, maybe a little harder than that, but not TOO hard) squeezed the skin on my nose and white stuff started coming out from the pores. I don't actually have that many blackheads at the moment so I don't see a definite improvement but I can't deny that stuff DID easily come out of my pores.

Just thought I'd share that icky experiment with you in case you wanted to give it a go Smile

Mabsy.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |