Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Angel

Keliu wrote:
skincareaddicted wrote:
Keliu--

Sorry I lost my temper, but I did really think that. Anyhow, I should have restrained myself. Things do sound different online than in person. No worries on either part, ok Smile.

Kristen

I am much relieved!!! I was trying to be funny - I have a perverse sense of humour sometimes that probably doesn't translate too well when written. I'm really sorry for any upset.
Carol

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I use the OCM method as well. I don't think I've had the amount of deep cleansing that others have experienced, probably because I don't massage for 5+ minutes. I'll have to do this though.

I would like to say that I found the Wolfman comment funny, and I have some light facial hair -- always have. Haven't gotten anymore since using OCM.

Cheers. Smile
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Okay so I have been doing the OCM religiously for about a month or so. I came back to it after I had tried it a while ago and gave it up because it was too time consuming, but now I must say, and I could be wrong here because I am currently trying many new products, but I think that it is currently breaking me out. When I started my skin was very clear, but I always enjoyed the whole process, so I thought I would try it again, but this time I am finding that I have a bunch of under the surface pimples, not as painful or as big as a cyst, but bumps nonetheless. I am now stopping the OCM and trying to rule out what could be causing it, but I was also doing my chest and shoulders and I found my shoulders started to get bumps also, and I am not using any of the other products on my shoulders, which leads me to believe that it is the OCM. Crying or Very sad Has anyone else had a similar reaction??
KathyJ
5% products discount

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kirstin wrote:
Okay so I have been doing the OCM religiously for about a month or so. I came back to it after I had tried it a while ago and gave it up because it was too time consuming, but now I must say, and I could be wrong here because I am currently trying many new products, but I think that it is currently breaking me out. When I started my skin was very clear, but I always enjoyed the whole process, so I thought I would try it again, but this time I am finding that I have a bunch of under the surface pimples, not as painful or as big as a cyst, but bumps nonetheless. I am now stopping the OCM and trying to rule out what could be causing it, but I was also doing my chest and shoulders and I found my shoulders started to get bumps also, and I am not using any of the other products on my shoulders, which leads me to believe that it is the OCM. Crying or Very sad Has anyone else had a similar reaction??

Yes, I started to get more bumps and I think it may be from manipulating my skin which is not good for acne prone skin. I too loved the process, even bought a special container for the oils...but am scared to try it again.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Me too! And I hate to throw away all that good oil, but I also am afraid that this is the problem. I will let you know if my skin improves now that I have stopped.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Kirstin,

You don't need to throw away the oil. It makes a nice a hair/scalp mask or you can use it to "fix" shampoos and conditioners. I do so with mine when they are not conditioning enough or too thick. I find so many uses for carrier oils.

Kristen

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
If you get a zit, just zap it with aspirin.

(If you're not familiar with aspirin masks ... you can use aspirin [which is pure salicylic acid] to kill zits. Just take an aspirin -- not tylenol, not motrin, but pure, uncoated aspirin -- dissolve it in H2O, and apply right on the zit. Let it dry. Reapply as needed.)

I was starting to get a cystic acne bump after the OCM and the aspirin killed in in 24-48 hours.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
kittikin wrote:
If you get a zit, just zap it with aspirin.

(If you're not familiar with aspirin masks ... you can use aspirin [which is pure salicylic acid] to kill zits. Just take an aspirin -- not tylenol, not motrin, but pure, uncoated aspirin -- dissolve it in H2O, and apply right on the zit. Let it dry. Reapply as needed.)

I was starting to get a cystic acne bump after the OCM and the aspirin killed in in 24-48 hours.

I am familiar with the aspirin masks, I like to mix them with yogurt, however I just had a baby and am wary of using them because I am breastfeeding. Does anyone know how much, if any, gets into your body through the skin??
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kirstin,

Congratulations on the baby!

I'm no expert, but I suspect none of it actually gets into your blood stream.

I know from my research on salicylic acid that the SA mixed in alcohol only penetrates a few top layers of your epidermis ... and doesn't get into your blood. I would suspect that the aspirin mask would do the same.

That said ... I could be wrong on that. Laughing It wouldn't be the first time. Nursing moms need to be very careful! Very Happy [Although I recall many many moons ago, when my girlfriend's baby was teething, she used to drink a glass of wine about 30 minutes prior to nursing ... and the baby slept like a top! It's probably not the politically correct thing to do these days ... but it worked great 30 years ago!]

I'm sure that there are other things out there that are good for zapping zits. I swear by my Pearl Paste ... and even if the pearl powder did penetrate through ... it's protein, calcium and amino acids ... all good things for baby.

Failing that ... have you tried clay spot treatments? You could mix up a small amount of clay with lemon juice and apply that to a blemish. It might take longer to go away ... but I don't think there's any potential harm to the baby via clay and lemon juice. Smile

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Mary,
Thank you for that information, I'm not sure if any of it gets into the blood stream either, but I was so very cautious during pregnancy I would hate to screw it up now that he's born....as for the glass of wine... maybe that's worth trying Laughing just kidding

I did use a blue flame purifying mask last night and WOW I must say the stuff is amazing. It has always been my "go to" for congested skin, but it proved itself last night, not to mention made my little one laugh like crazy at Mommy with a blue face. My bumps are dramatically smaller and my pores seem rather spotless. Having said that I am bummed about having to give up on the OCM, but I also had to dump a new mixture of witch hazel, ylang ylang and clary sage down the drain because I have never used the clary sage before and was afraid that it may be that which is causing the recent bump outbreak. We'll soon see, I also started the Lumiere MMU which could be the culprit, but really love the look of it, so I am going to wait and see what happens before giving up on it. It stinks really because my skin has always been so sensitive to everything and I should know better than to try a bunch of new things at once, but listening to the many raves on this forum is what really gets me into trouble! Embarassed
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kirstin,

Quote:
...listening to the many raves on this forum is what really gets me into trouble

Ain't that the truth! Laughing

You start reading the reviews ... and you find yourself being completely convinced that your life will end if you don't get some of these products! Laughing

I think Lumiere is a quality MMU and I would be surprised if that was the problem ... but again, you've got hormonal fluctuations right now ... and sometimes the strangest things can prove bothersome as such times. Very Happy Confused Sad

Good luck!

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

You start reading the reviews ... and you find yourself being completely convinced that your life will end if you don't get some of these products! Laughing

You mean my life...won't...end...if...I...don't...buy

Sorry...doesn't compute
Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:37 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

I think Lumiere is a quality MMU and I would be surprised if that was the problem ... but again, you've got hormonal fluctuations right now ... and sometimes the strangest things can prove bothersome as such times. Very Happy Confused Sad

Good luck!

Mary

I sure hope it isn't the Lumiere, I am loving it, but I agree hormones are crazy right now!! Do you use Lumiere MMU??
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ParisTroika,

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hi Kirstin,

No I don't use it ... but I've been thinking about looking into buying it when I'm done with my current batch of MMU! Laughing That's part of the problem ... it takes so long to be "finished"!

I've corresponded with a few people who use it ... and the ingredients sound good ... no bismuth etc ... and I've read raves about it here and probably at Mineral Makeup Mania. Confused

People who use it seem to love it ... Smile

One of these days! *sigh* So much MMU ... so little time! Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
tell me about it... I still have a ton of BE MMU which I didn't realise that I didn't like until I read the raves about Lumiere Laughing
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
hpjrt wrote:

You mean my life...won't...end...if...I...don't...buy

Sorry...doesn't compute
Laughing

Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
zumlya wrote:
OMG!! So many plugs came out. I didn't even know had so many clogged pores. My face is a mess, because I found every little pore the plug came out and extracted. I know if I would have left them my face would have exploded into whiteheads. I used 50-50 castor/grapeseed, and then threw in a little jojoba for good measure. I massaged forever--then I slapped some more on and massaged more. Then I thought, wow, I think I should do my back and arms! (Proved to be a little difficult on the back. I'm sure it worked a little). I did, however, wind up using a detergent cleanser afterwards to wash it all of (with a little glycolic acid in it). My face feels so smooth, although the pores around and on my nose seem the same. I'm going to try again in a few days (such a long process Sad ).

Ok, so I couldn't wait a whole week, because I see these clogged pores coming back on my chin area. Nothing came out. Crying or Very sad Maybe one or two. I did a drop of rosehip in there. I don't see why this would make a difference. I wasn't exactly measuring anything. I just poured it into a small glass bowl. Which I had some left over so I stored in the fridge, is that ok?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean about it working great the first time and then just not seeing the results at the same level. I eventually got discouraged and it was too much effort. I hope you have more luck that I did!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

I've corresponded with a few people who use it ... and the ingredients sound good ... no bismuth etc ... and I've read raves about it here and probably at Mineral Makeup Mania. Confused

Mary

Mary, I know this thread isn't about MMU, but why is the bismuth oxide a bad thing??
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Back to the OCM... my face is finally clearing up after the recent debacle. Although I can't say for sure that it was the OCM, I am relatively sure that extended use, for me, is a no no. I love how it extracts the plugs, but just not enough to be worth both the time and the possibility of lousing up my face. Hope the rest of you get better results!
raelliott

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to post my experience with the oil cleansing method...

I'm a month under 30 years old with oily, acne prone skin. Over the past couple of months I've been making a conscious effort to minimize the synthetic chemicals I use on my body so when I came across this discussion board I was really interested.

Last week, I started with a mix of Castor oil, Jojoba oil, and Ylang Ylang. Since I typically break out during this time in my monthly cycle I figured, who cares if this OCM experiment goes poorly!

After only about 1 minute of massaging I had both black and white specks coming out of my pores. I thought maybe they were bits of towel or just dry skin, but the more I massaged, the more they came out. I was amazed!

Still a newbie to this, I can only give you my results from this week. I have not broken out. My skin looks and feels wonderful. My boyfriend who seems oblivious to most of my cosmetic experiments actually made an unsolicited comment about how healthy my skin looked. The blackheads in the crease of my nose that I thought were permanent fixtures are completely gone. And best of all I'm not using harsh chemicals on my face.

Is this too good to be true? Maybe, but for now I'm just going to appreciate a reprieve from the breakout cycle!

Oh, in case it's helpful to anyone, I mixed my oil into one of those glass oil dispensers they keep on the table at Italian restaurants and it's worked out great!
KathyJ
5% products discount

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
raelliott wrote:
Just wanted to post my experience with the oil cleansing method...

Oh, in case it's helpful to anyone, I mixed my oil into one of those glass oil dispensers they keep on the table at Italian restaurants and it's worked out great!

That is exactly the container I mixed mine in! To block the hole on the top, I broke a Q tip in half and shoved the broken end down into the lid! Don't want air to get into the oils which could spoil them faster.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Okay I've been doing the OCM for over a month now, I don't see the plugs coming out like others have mentioned. I just don't get it. Also, getting a few bumps here and there on my cheeks, nothing to be alarmed about, but I don't like it since it's not completely smooth. I did have a few pimples pop up in the beginning, but now have gone away and none have popped up recently.

Do I have to massage for 5 min to get the benefits of the OCM? I only do it for about a min night and day and was wondering if I should stray away from this if I'm not getting the full benefits from it for only doing it for a min or two.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Kirstin wrote:

Quote:
Mary, I know this thread isn't about MMU, but why is the bismuth oxide a bad thing??

Sorry Kirstin,

I didn't see this one ... or I'd have answered you sooner! Very Happy

When I began investigating MMU, lots of people reported that they had problems with bismuth ... and I just didn't try those that had it. Besides ... I gather that it's the bismuth that gives the MMU a "shiny" look ... not a nice look for those of us over 50! Laughing

I think for lots bismuth isn't a problem ... but it does seem to be a problem for a number of people.

HTH

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:35 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Kirstin wrote:

Quote:

Sorry Kirstin,

I didn't see this one ... or I'd have answered you sooner! Very Happy

When I began investigating MMU, lots of people reported that they had problems with bismuth ... and I just didn't try those that had it. Besides ... I gather that it's the bismuth that gives the MMU a "shiny" look ... not a nice look for those of us over 50! Laughing

I think for lots bismuth isn't a problem ... but it does seem to be a problem for a number of people.

HTH

Mary

Yeah I never liked that shiny look either, but it didn't ever make me break out or anything. I prefer the Lumiere because it has more of a matte finish, but you have to be careful so that your skin doesn't look parched.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |