Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:48 am      Reply with quote
hi cloe,
I am using equal part of grapeseed oil and castor oil, plus a couple of drops of EO.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
You may want to try using 75% castor oil & 25% grapeseed oil a couple of times to help loosen up the stubborn blackheads. OCM directions recommend using more castor oil for cleansing and more olive oil for moisture. I tend to switch around my ratios depending on what my skin needs. This has really helped me when my pores get stubborn.

I say a couple of times because the castor oil might get too drying. But if more co works at loosening up the stuff then go with that until your pores let go of some stuff or until you start getting too dry. Just be sure to use a good moisturizer. One that's not too heavy or it will just put more gunk back in your pores. HTH Smile
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cloe....
I will try the 75%/25% solution.
Anyways.... do you always mix it fresh everyday before usage?
i am trying to mix a one-week worth batch, but I do not know if it is going to go bad or not.
And also, how am I supposed to keep the solution? in a cool dark place? or anywhere?
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyways.... do you always mix it fresh everyday before usage?
i am trying to mix a one-week worth batch, but I do not know if it is going to go bad or not.
And also, how am I supposed to keep the solution? in a cool dark place? or anywhere?

I do mix mine fresh every time because, for me, if I need a little more co or oo I can control how much I use. I have a small bottle of each and pour each one into my hand right before use.

As long as your large batch just contains the oils, it should keep for a long time as would the olive/grapeseed oil in your kitchen. Although I wouldn't put it in direct sunlight. If you're adding some essential oils to your mix, I would store it in a cool dry place just to be safe. The medicine cabinet should be fine.

I think it was Mary or Candy who said she bought a pretty pump container to put her large batch in and keeps it on her countertop, which I think is a great idea. Very Happy
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
That was Mary...I'm too cheap, lol. I bought a bunch of different sized plastic bottles from Sally Beauty Supply to keep my DIY projects in. Mine has the button top, you push down on one side and the little slot is on the other. Works well for me. I currently have mine in a 4 oz bottle. Lasts me about 2 weeks, give or take.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:49 am      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Hi Jellyberry,

I think ocm is def. suitable for a 16 year old. It's just olive oil and castor oil. It really is the best thing I've ever used for clearing blackheads and my skin. I would just follow the directions that have been posted here on this site carefully for the best results. Very Happy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9717&start=0

Thanks Cloe! I can't wait to try it on her!
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
hi all....
hm... first, I massage for like 110 mins. then i put hot towel over my face, then i massage some more for like 10 mins. still nothing came out. my skin feels smooth and clean, but i want to see some plugs come out.....
did i do anything wreong with my ocm routine?

Hi Roadtonowhere,
I've been doing OCM for about a week now, and I'm having the same issues you were/are having... I'm wondering, have you been able to get it to work for you now, and if so, any tips?
Thanks!
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the OCM method for a couple of weeks now and I just use a teaspoon to measure both the co and the evoo in and put them in a measuring cup. While I am in the shower I wash everything else and then using a dry washcloth I dry my face and hands and go about doing the ocm right in the shower. I read on a recent post that the steam may help open pore so you can get more gunk out, plus when I do the OCM after my morning shower I noticed my hair would be greasy, around my forehead and sides because of the oil around my hairline, and the I would have to rewash it, and thats just a pain in the you know.

Does anyone else EVOO stink really bad or is it just me?
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane- EVOO shouldn't smell bad or stink. It's possible your oo has gone rancid. Fresh EVOO smells very mild, faintly like pressed olives. At least mine does anyway. Most oils do go bad over time from exposure to air. Make sure your cap is on tight. If it's a brand new bottle I'd return it and get a different brand. HTH Very Happy
jeadams

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Just found this sight today while doing a search for cures for oil skin. I'm really into finding out more about the castor oil & grapeseed oil face wash. My skin has always been a problem, I'm now 47, & it just seems to be getting worse. Not so much pimples, just bumps with yuck in them or hard white stuff in them. Dermatologists just don't seem to see the problem & just keep putting me on topicals that don't really work. I'm about at my wits end. Where can I find out about the castor oils more in depth & where can I go in Ohio to buy the right kind? Thanks much Very Happy
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jeadams,

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy Here's a link that will tell you all about ocm and how to do it.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9717&highlight=ocm

You should be able to find all the ingredients at your local health food store or, if you have a Whole Foods market near you, they'll definately have what you need.

For more info you can do a search on this site (search button, top right corner). If you have questions about anything, everyone on this site is helpful and hopefully will be able to answer. Very Happy Good luck!
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 2:39 am      Reply with quote
I started trying OCM (60/40 CO/EVOO) toward the end of December and up until around mid-late Feb when my face FREAKED OUT I was pleased with the results. I don't know if it was stress (which right before my breakout I was dealing with some heavy things going on in my life), the start of vit C use, or the OCM but it was the worst break out I had had for more than 2 years. I had many many little bumps all over my cheeks, chin, and forhead. I usually never broke out on my cheeks either. The bumps were kind of like whiteheads but a bit like a rash. My skin was a bit itchy, my face splotchy-red, and the bumps became somewhat inflamed.... NOW they are mostly gone after they came to their ugly heads- it has taken awhile!

Do you think my skin finally purged out all that gunk that was lurking way down in my skin? Do you think my skin negatively reacted to the EVOO?

I wouldn't think that my skin had that much purging to do considering I had been using Tazorac for about 9 months up until that point and had already kind of purged from it. Perhaps the OCM purged what was left behind?

When my face broke out like that I stopped using the OCM and vit C and went back to my regimen of DHCC, Tazorac, Skinceuticals Phyto Corrective and Decleor Ylang Ylang oil. Things continued on until mid March and started calming down. I went to my new Dermatologist who prescribed Aldactone thinking my break out pattern seemed hormonally related. I am seeing success with it (yay!!!).

So here I am now wondering if the OCM was really doing its thing or my skin was doing its sensitivity thing by reacting. (If I was reacting, wouldn't it have caused a rxn within a few days of use instead of a month and a half later?) I am thinking about trying it again sans EVOO and using grapeseed oil instead. BUT I am deathly afraid of that break out happening again. It's SO mortifying!!! Embarassed Anxious

You know what is also strange? While my cheeks breakout has calmed down I am still mildly breaking out on them. Why would I start breaking out here when in previous years I never did as much? Could it be that my skin is still recovering from the purge? Or has my skin simply taken on a new "I'm-the-skin-on-a-woman-in-her-mid-20s-and-this-is-where-I-will-break-out-now-if-I-so-damn-well-please" identity? Laughing

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 am      Reply with quote
Is it just my imagination, or are the people who´s experiencing breakouts with OCM the same ones as use a large amount of castor oil? Apparently, it shouldn´t be used in such high concentration.

My theoty is that a too high amount of castor oil, mixed with EVOO would draw things out, while being to emoillent for some people. Maybe you should try a EVOO/less CO blend, or jojoba/co blend?

Also, has anyone tried using a facial brush (manual or clasironic type´ish) with OCM?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
I just have to weigh in on this.

I've been using OCM since late last August ... and have stuck with it, making "seasonal" adjustments to the mix.

I have found, much to my chagrin, that regardless of what I use, my skin experiences annoying breakouts when fall turns to winter ... and when winter turns to spring. This has been true year in and year out ... for as long as I can remember.

amnis ... I don't know where you live, but here in Canada, spring began to show up in March ... and that's when my face began to show some erruptions. Same thing happened last fall.

I don't know if it's the adjustment to indoor heating ... and then the adjustment to no indoor heating ... or whether it's just one of life's strange mysteries ... but it always happens ... and this year has been no exception.

The good thing ... [if there is a good thing about this ...] ... is that this spring's breakout wasn't as severe as last fall's ... and last fall's erruption wasn't as severe as any before.

That said ... I find that while the erruptions themselves have been fewer and less painful ... the redness has lasted far longer than I'd like. I still have a few spots where the redness is still apparent ... however, I've gotten very good at concealing with mineral makeup ... so I only have to see them at night when I wash my face ... and in the morning before I put on my makeup! Laughing

I don't know why my skin does this ... but I really do think that OCM has made the actual blemishes fewer ... although I had hoped it would eliminate them. That said ... I'm not giving up my OCM ... because overall ... my face has never been clearer ... and when I do get a bump ... it doesn't last nearly as long. Very Happy

Hope this helps you amnis ... and anyone else who is experiencing problems after using OCM for a while.

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 1:38 am      Reply with quote
I bought Virgin Castor oil BP from the local chemist, is this the right stuff? It says its for constipation! Laughing

Z
Zoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I bought Virgin Castor oil BP from the local chemist, is this the right stuff? It says its for constipation! Laughing

? Embarassed
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Yep! Apparently it pulls stuff out no matter how you use it Laughing

Don't worry though--I don't think anyone has experienced a laxative effect from using it topically in OCM. Good luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am now on week 4 of OCM, and I am STILL breaking out... now I'm noticing that although I do get stuff out while massaging, my skin looks like it has tons more blackheads/whiteheads/bumps after I'm done... I massage forever, steam, etc, yet my skin is winding up with more breakouts I think... Sad
Could this still be a purge??
I've tried jojoba/co, evoo/co, grapeseed/co, and a bunch of other combos, all with different ratios depending on what works best for me that day, my whole house is oily!!!...
help!!!
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Jzainoun- I want to help, so I have some questions for you.

Are you doing ocm on dry or wet skin?

What kind of pressure are you applying while you're massaging?

What are you using to wipe the oils from your skin when you're done and how are you wiping them off?

Do you wear makeup? If so, when you're done with ocm, if you wiped your face with toner on a cotton ball is there any trace of makeup left behind?

What else are you putting on your skin after ocm?

Did you have acne before doing ocm? If so how bad?

If I have the answers to these questions, I may be able to help you better. Smile
stars1

Wed May 10, 2006 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am having the same problem as Jzainoun. I have been breaking out alot for a week now. I have been doing the OCM about thirty minutes after being in the sauna on dry skin. I have tried gentle circular motions as well as a little more aggresive ones. I use a hot towel to wipe my face. I usually rinse the towel with really hot water, squeeze excess water from it, then apply it on top of my face. I take a couple of deep breaths and then wipe my face with the towel and then repeat about two to three more times.

I dont wear any makeup besides eye and lip liner. I do however wear sunblock. Hopefully you could help me, as well as Jzainoun Very Happy

Thanks!!

P.S. I should mention that I was using Benzoyl Peroxide for years and just recently stopped using it.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Stars1,

It sounds like you're doing the cleansing part correct. The unfortunate thing for us acne sufferers is that we need that extra help to combat the bacteria and oil buildup under the skin.

If the BP worked well for you at controlling your acne, you should probably go back to using it or something like it that will help control the problem. Ocm is a great cleansing method and can help some people balance out their skin compelely but some of us still need that extra something to control the breakouts.

If after going back to the BP for a couple of weeks, you're still breaking out, then I would consider using a different cleansing method.

I hope this helps and please ask if you have any other questions. Very Happy
stars1

Wed May 10, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Cloe,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I heard that Benzoyl Peroxide is not good for you. I have been using it for over 10 years. And now, I think, my skin is "use to it."

I have been using the Juice Blemish Clearing Serum as well as Emu Oil and Vit. C (the vit. c is from vitamin world). I also try to use the asprin mask (mixed with honey and aloe) every other day. Could I be breaking out cause of these other things?

Again thank you so much for all your help Smile
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Jzainoun- I want to help, so I have some questions for you.

Are you doing ocm on dry or wet skin?

What kind of pressure are you applying while you're massaging?

What are you using to wipe the oils from your skin when you're done and how are you wiping them off?

Do you wear makeup? If so, when you're done with ocm, if you wiped your face with toner on a cotton ball is there any trace of makeup left behind?

What else are you putting on your skin after ocm?

Did you have acne before doing ocm? If so how bad?

If I have the answers to these questions, I may be able to help you better. Smile

Hi Cloe,
Thanks so much for your response, it was so reassuring!
I'm doing OCM on dry skin, massaging with every range of pressures imaginable, since I do it sometimes a billion hours at a time (as long as I can get some plugs to come off, and until I'm really forced to stop due to being late for work, school, etc (i'm really pathetic! Confused ) ... I try to really make sure that I am getting enough steam / warmth to open up the pores (I use different washcloths, some terry, some muslin, etc). I do wear makeup, it's mineral makeup, and mascara / eyeliner, but I make sure I've wiped the makeup off first with a tissue after the 1st oil slather Confused , then, once the makeup is all off, I reapply more oil and massage, massage, massage..., reapply, massage... massage..., etc, etc... I use a very dilute ACV toner mostly, but recently (thanks to this forum Wink , I've bought Dr H CC and clarifying toner, so when I'm done, I sometimes follow up with those).
I've been using Retin A .025 cream for 1 year ... i think it has helped keep the breakouts at bay, but it also has sensitised and reddened my skin a lot... For the past 6 months or so I've been using Emu oil for moisturizing, and recently I've bought Donell Super Skin Correction Cream, which is formulated to alleviate irritation due to chemical treatments such as AHAs and tretinoin (& other vit a derivatives), and I use this sparingly whenever my skin feels especially chapped (which is less frequently since OCM!)
I'm in love with caudalie's line (i think you know that Wink ?), but since I've been trying to stop bombarding my skin, i've kind of stopped using the products (moisturizer). My skin was honestly PERFECT my whole life until ~3-4 yrs ago, and I think that it started breaking out because of cosmetics (I really can't pinpoint what, but ever since, i've been obsessed with skincare to try to bring back my skin to how it used to be). Now i'm basically always blotchy, there's always at least one red pimple on my face, and things honestly are awful! Sad
Sorry for this long depressing post... I'm really grateful for your reply, it sounds so caring!
I hope you can help stars1 too!
thanks again,
-joanne
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I heard that Benzoyl Peroxide is not good for you. I have been using it for over 10 years. And now, I think, my skin is "use to it."

I have been using the Juice Blemish Clearing Serum as well as Emu Oil and Vit. C (the vit. c is from vitamin world). I also try to use the asprin mask (mixed with honey and aloe) every other day. Could I be breaking out cause of these other things?

You could be breaking out from any of these things or none of them. It's my understanding that the aspirin mask is supposed to be used one or two times a week because it can be too much for your skin, although I know some people have used it more often. Some see such good results that they tend to overdue it. Maybe try cutting back to one or two times a week.

I haven't tried the JB blemish clearing serum but I've seen all the great reviews so I know it can really help.

I'm no expert, but I have had similar problems to you and Joanne. The biggest thing for me, I think, was that I was totally overduing the cleansing process and I wasn't treating my acne with any topical medication and my skin really got out of control.

Also, when you've been using something like BP for so long and then stop, even though your skin was getting used to it, it's still a big change for your skin when you stop. BP is a powerful product and your skin needs time to adjust and rebalance itself.

I decided to temporarily switch my routine to a skincare line specifically for combo skin that's (somewhat pricey Sad ) but very gentle and balancing and I also added a blemish solution, which I've been applying all over my face several times a day when I'm not wearing makeup and I'm home all day. This is really helping my skin get back to normal. When the product runs out I'm going to try doing ocm again but still stick with the blemish solution. You definately need something to fight the bacteria. This is the most critical step.

I think it's really important for acne skins to be treated as sensitive as well. Try to stay as simple and basic, and gentle as possible.

If you have other questions please ask. I'll do my best to help. Very Happy
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I do it sometimes a billion hours at a time (as long as I can get some plugs to come off, and until I'm really forced to stop due to being late

This is exactly what I did! I think doing this for so long was counterproductive for me and was starting to do more harm than good. (I know it's so hard to stop when stuff just keeps coming out of your skin.) I would try to limit the time to 3 minutes. Using the right blemish serum helps to prevent those plugs and impurities so you don't have to spend an eternity massaging your skin. Also, for me, all the wiping off of the oils and makeup irritated my skin, even though I tried to do it as gently as possible.

The diluted acv toner is good, the Dr. H products are good also. I haven't used emu oil or Donell so I don't know about these. For me if something is irritating like the Retin A, I would stop using it and find an alternative that helped the problem without irritating.

Quote:
I've been trying to stop bombarding my skin

This is a very good, actually Great idea. As I mentioned to Stars1, simple, basic and gentle with something to kill the bacteria causing the acne (and clear away the dead skin cells) can be the best way to go.

Quote:
Now i'm basically always blotchy, there's always at least one red pimple on my face, and things honestly are awful!

I really feel your pain, but don't stress. Just know that your body knows how to heal itself and sometimes we just need to give it that little extra something or sometimes stop giving it so much. You also have an advantage since you've only had breakouts for a few years, your skin should be easier and quicker to heal than someone like me whose been battling acne for much more than a decade. If my skin can clear up then yours definitely can.

I hope this helps.

Please ask if you have other questions and I will do my best to help. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |