Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
Penta wrote:
Oh, wow, that's lucky! My ones take a few days to close Sad But I don't use OCM, so maybe it's more "violent" when it happens to me, if that makes sense?
Ugh, it is SOOO scary when that happens!

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's a weird look too. Luckily I don't think anybody looks that closely at our pores - but us!!!
I am SO bummed!!! I did the OCM again last night (v. productive so I was patient and went with it until less stuff was coming out), now today, I have a zillion inflamed zits - and the worst spot (with the most 'stuff' coming out) is along my jawline right under and on my chin. So I look like I have a beard of zits!!! There isn't enough concealer in the world to fix this.
IS IT POSSIBLE I'M DOING THIS WRONG???!!!!!! I'm sorry to 'shout', but I'm getting worried. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight, and now I've noticed that my nose, which had been beautifully clear, is a little congested again (not as bad as originally though)).
Perhaps I need to do the OCM every day??? Like four times as often, but one fourth the duration?
Does anyone think that will 'clean me out'???? This is going to be the never-ending purge otherwise. I ws just about all cleared up when I did the OCM again. TIA!

Oh no, you poor thing!! I know how it feels, even though I envy your sense of humor when you talked about the "beard of zits" Laughing
I think, only from what I have read (I have never used OCM myself) that maybe you're doing it too long? Maybe you should cut down? But I'm sure somebody else will answer and give you proper advice, just wanted to let you know that I feel for you.
Breakouts are the worst! Big hugs!
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
SoCalGal wrote:
Penta wrote:
Oh, wow, that's lucky! My ones take a few days to close Sad But I don't use OCM, so maybe it's more "violent" when it happens to me, if that makes sense?
Ugh, it is SOOO scary when that happens!

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's a weird look too. Luckily I don't think anybody looks that closely at our pores - but us!!!
I am SO bummed!!! I did the OCM again last night (v. productive so I was patient and went with it until less stuff was coming out), now today, I have a zillion inflamed zits - and the worst spot (with the most 'stuff' coming out) is along my jawline right under and on my chin. So I look like I have a beard of zits!!! There isn't enough concealer in the world to fix this.
IS IT POSSIBLE I'M DOING THIS WRONG???!!!!!! I'm sorry to 'shout', but I'm getting worried. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight, and now I've noticed that my nose, which had been beautifully clear, is a little congested again (not as bad as originally though)).
Perhaps I need to do the OCM every day??? Like four times as often, but one fourth the duration?
Does anyone think that will 'clean me out'???? This is going to be the never-ending purge otherwise. I ws just about all cleared up when I did the OCM again. TIA!

Oh no, you poor thing!! I know how it feels, even though I envy your sense of humor when you talked about the "beard of zits" Laughing
I think, only from what I have read (I have never used OCM myself) that maybe you're doing it too long? Maybe you should cut down? But I'm sure somebody else will answer and give you proper advice, just wanted to let you know that I feel for you.
Breakouts are the worst! Big hugs!

Hi Penta, thank you!!! for the sympathy!!! Yup, breakouts are the worst, and I feel so dumb at my age! I think you are so right though, I believe I'm just doing it too long. I'm going to do another session tonight but only for 5 minutes. It's just hard, because I can feel the little buggers sticking out of my skin again today. But I'm gonna have to show some discipline. Hugs back to you for being so understanding!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal,

I think Penta hit the nail on the head that's quite a long amount of time to massage! Sorry about your breakout! I know it's a nightmare, but it can be very normal at first and many quit before reaping the benefits of what this will eventually do for your skin. Just don't be so zealous with it. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
It's interesting that you never had congested skin, yet are breaking out like this.
I dread to think what my skin would do Shock Shock
Let us know if it gets better soon! Good luck!
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
It's interesting that you never had congested skin, yet are breaking out like this.
I dread to think what my skin would do Shock Shock
Let us know if it gets better soon! Good luck!

Hi Dark Moon and Penta, I appreciate your replies. My doctor was just chastising me for being too compulsive today - too funny, huh?
The great news is that I did another OCM session tonight for 10 minutes (just to be sure), got a few specks (only), and my skin is so soft and velvety!!!!!! I think I'm definitely at the end of the purge. Now I can do the normal 5 minutes and look fab.
Even though I had a nasty purge (and have been totally freaked about how yucky my skin really was), I'm really glad that I discovered the OCM - and the wonder of natural oils. I'm so psyched about having better than ever skin!
You guys are the best for supporting and sympathizing with me!

Oh, and Penta, my skin was always congested - I just didn't recognize it. My pores were looking like craters. Ugh! Never again!
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Now I'm wondering if using physical sunscreen could have been the cause of my congestion.
Doesn't zinc oxide stop or block oil production? I started using only physical sunscreen about 5 yrs ago, which is about when my pores started to 'grow'.
Just a thought - I am compulsive about trying to understand the 'why' of things. Laughing
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Woah! You cleared up in 1 day?? That's amazing!
OCM is starting to sound really attractive again!
caril

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:58 am      Reply with quote
I am tensed because, my skin is very oily. Because of this I am having acne and pimples.Please suggest me the solution...
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hey girl,i was reading your situation with the beard of zits LOL.... i'm on day 5 of dealing with that and now they are almost all gone! I think OCM will always do that from time to time, because honestly.... it's the only thing that actually works on the market! I have never seen such a drastic improvement before in my life since i took accutane! Of course you sometimes need to help remove the black heads with extracting or using the nose strips (at least in my case) but they black heads are ACTUALLY diminishing! Not even dermatologist skin care has ever helped me skin. And ewww...i don't even want to know what the ingredients are in the stuff they prescribe! lol

SoCalGal wrote:
Now I'm wondering if using physical sunscreen could have been the cause of my congestion.
Doesn't zinc oxide stop or block oil production? I started using only physical sunscreen about 5 yrs ago, which is about when my pores started to 'grow'.
Just a thought - I am compulsive about trying to understand the 'why' of things. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
cortigirl wrote:
Hey girl,i was reading your situation with the beard of zits LOL.... i'm on day 5 of dealing with that and now they are almost all gone! I think OCM will always do that from time to time, because honestly.... it's the only thing that actually works on the market! I have never seen such a drastic improvement before in my life since i took accutane! Of course you sometimes need to help remove the black heads with extracting or using the nose strips (at least in my case) but they black heads are ACTUALLY diminishing! Not even dermatologist skin care has ever helped me skin. And ewww...i don't even want to know what the ingredients are in the stuff they prescribe! lol

Oh thank you for the words of hope!!!! The arrival of new zits has definitely slowed down and luckily the Ylang Ylang oil mixed with Tamanu oil under the YY Night Balm by Decleor really speeds the healing. I'm with you - the 'scorched earth' method of dealing with acne is a true case of the cure being worse than the disease. And I don't do the chemical thing at all anymore, so no Derm wants to see me.
I agree about the blackheads too - I thought they were coming back, but last night's OCM session cleared it all out again.
I am also amazed with this OCM method: not only did I not know what was wrong with my skin, despite mucho dough spent, but there is no other way to clean out the pores like this. That's why I hope others realize that even though I've had a bad purge, it still is worth it to get my skin cleared out!
I think it was Jane Austen who said "Let us be beautuiful or die." Maybe she had acne?!!!

Did you have a lot of congestion? How do you suppose it happened? I know I'm just making myself crazy, but I would LOVE to know how I got into this pickle!

SoCalGal wrote:
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:

Hi Penta, do you mean me? If so, no, I'm not 'healed' - just looking much, much better. Although the Decleor Ylang Ylang and esp. the Tamanu oil have done wonders, really.
How did I get to be so old and not know about these oils???
Is it a conspiracy from the mult-billion dollar cosmetic cartels, I mean companies. Very Happy
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
caril wrote:
I am tensed because, my skin is very oily. Because of this I am having acne and pimples.Please suggest me the solution...

Hi, well I'm amazed and thrilled with the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) for acne.

This is where I got started: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com

It works astonishingly well. and doesn't cost a lot of money. I buy a ready made oil blend from Androcco.com and I love it. It contains a emulsifier so that the oil rinses cleanly, easily.

Let us know what you think.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
Penta wrote:

Hi Penta, do you mean me? If so, no, I'm not 'healed' - just looking much, much better. Although the Decleor Ylang Ylang and esp. the Tamanu oil have done wonders, really.
Is it a conspiracy from the mult-billion dollar cosmetic cartels, I mean companies. Very Happy

Oh, okay, well, being on your way to being healed is still something.
I have been considering OCM for a few months now, but am way too scared of the breakouts.. Good for you, though, I keep my fingers crossed that you'll heal up all the way and get no more breakouts or beards Laughing
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:57 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
SoCalGal wrote:
Penta wrote:

Oh, okay, well, being on your way to being healed is still something.
I have been considering OCM for a few months now, but am way too scared of the breakouts.. Good for you, though, I keep my fingers crossed that you'll heal up all the way and get no more breakouts or beards Laughing

You are so sweet! Thank you for your kind wishes! I must admit I'm ready to turn over the position of bearded lady to someone else. I am impressed with the positive changes I see in my skin - I just had a lot of stuff to undo, so it is what it is . . . . I'll be ok with some spots to hide every morning - for a while.

I've never used concealer in my life, but I like Josie Maran's products (and I'm grateful to her for introducing me to my first facial oil), so I picked up her concealer last weekend, and it's working well for me. I actually use the new Tarte Amazonian Clay liquid foundation first (and another first for me), then the concealer (I don't even know if that's the correct order), and I think it looks ok. Luckily, I work in a very casual, scientific environment where nobody but me wearselse any makeup at all, so it's not like everybody looks like a model and I'm cringing in a corner!
beann1210
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:19 am      Reply with quote
I guess I could take a few-day's time and read through this entire thread to find my answer, but I think my family will be upset if they don't get dinner for that long. Laughing Anyway, I've tried the OCM a few times and I like how it makes my skin feel. The problem is, in order to do it the way everyone says I should is quite messy unless I'm soaking in a bath tub (which I would love to do every day if I had the time.) So, is there a way to do the OCM without having to put a steamy damp wash cloth on your face three or four times? Does anyone know how to do this without making a mess out of yourself at the bathroom sink twice a day? Or is this a cleasning method that you should only do a couple times a week? Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
beann1210,

I don't find it's messy other than needing to use fresh washcloths daily, I actually sit and watch TV while massaging and then use a hot cloth which I wring out so it's not sopping wet and clean the oil off repeat until clean of all oil. Many use a toner after if they still feel the need, the ACV toner recipe on the recipe index is a favorite amongst many members. Smile

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Beann1210,

I'm still a total newbie when it comes to OCM, and I only use OCM about 1x per week on average. But what I do is to heat the oil itself (rather than a washcloth), and apply that heated oil to my face and massage it in. Then I hop into the shower and wash it off. I don't know how effective that is, but I still seem to get a lot out that way.

HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:52 am      Reply with quote
I am aware that some people just use no more than 2 oils (castor oil + jojoba or olive or sunflower etc.); while some (especially commercial products) put more than 2 into tho mix.

I'd like to know if there would be a significant benefit for us if we use more than 2 oils (castor oil for "drawing" and olive oil for moisturizing); or is it just a personal preference?

As my first bottle of cleansing oil is a commercial one which contains emulsifiers; once I use it up, I will make a home made one, thus, I am collecting advice from you guys!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:15 am      Reply with quote
summer2004,

It really is a personal choice and depends on what suits your skin, you can use any combination of oils you find works well for you. The Castor Oil can be adjusted in % less if you find it too drying and more if your skin is very oily and tolerant, some find too much irritating and or drying.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
I am aware that some people just use no more than 2 oils (castor oil + jojoba or olive or sunflower etc.); while some (especially commercial products) put more than 2 into tho mix.

I'd like to know if there would be a significant benefit for us if we use more than 2 oils (castor oil for "drawing" and olive oil for moisturizing); or is it just a personal preference?

As my first bottle of cleansing oil is a commercial one which contains emulsifiers; once I use it up, I will make a home made one, thus, I am collecting advice from you guys!

Hi Summer2004 -

I've recently made my first batch of OCM after using a few commercial products. I used 40% castor and 55% jojoba and about 5% hempseed (just because I had it already and want to be sure and use it before it goes rancid). I also added 3 drops of rosemary essential oil and 2 drops of lavender essential oil into the 1oz of other oils. Smells great!

Next time I may back down the castor to 30% or so, as I'm noticing my skin seems a little dryer lately. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

I think how many oils you use is more of a personal preference.
beann1210
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks girls! I'll give it another go. Darkmoon, I will def look into that toner recipe! Thanks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi All, I finally saw my derm today, and he was NOT against me doing the OCM, he just said not to do it for so long a session - which you guys had already told me. Laughing

I asked him how I could have gotten so congested and he said that I just produce more oil than the average person (so I guess that means I have oily skin - I thought it was normal!!!). Then he quickly added 'it doesn't mean you're dirty!' which I appreciated. I was feeling like a horror show. I guess the oil just backed up. Next visit I'm going to ask him how it clogs, instead of flowing free. I still wonder if it's the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in my sunscreen. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Thanks in advance.
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:27 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Hi Beann1210,

I'm still a total newbie when it comes to OCM, and I only use OCM about 1x per week on average. But what I do is to heat the oil itself (rather than a washcloth), and apply that heated oil to my face and massage it in. Then I hop into the shower and wash it off. I don't know how effective that is, but I still seem to get a lot out that way.

HTH Smile

Hi CM5597, can I ask you what you mean by 'get a lot out'? I hope that doesn't sound odd, but my experience with the OCM, doing it every 4 or 5 days, has been a little traumatizing: I get so much stuff out, large plugs, hard pieces, etc. It has really freaked me out. For the first 6 or 7 times I did it, I massaged for 2hrs because stuff was just pouring out and I didn't know how/when to stop.
Does that sound like your experience? The most recent 2 times haven't been nearly as bad, but still I get a lot of specks out. I had a bad purge from the earlier sessions too; ==. I think it was all the stuff that came to the surface, but not 'out'.
Thanks!
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Darkmoon & ShastaGirl,

Thx for your input.

I like Mountain Rose Herbs and have been made purchase there for a couple of times.

Definitely, MRH carries almost all those oils of my purchase list; however, the bummer is that the smallest container size of most oils is either 8 oz or 16 oz ; if I buy 6 oils, then the oil supply is good enough for me to doing OCM for 2.5 years.

While at Herbarie, the smallest container size is 1 oz; isn't it good? Yes, however, the minimum order value of overseas customers is USD 100.

Anyway, I'm lobbying my friends to see if they like OCM & share the oils with me; if so, I can buy 4-6 oils.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:34 am      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
cm5597 wrote:
Hi Beann1210,

HTH Smile

Hi CM5597, can I ask you what you mean by 'get a lot out'? I hope that doesn't sound odd, but my experience with the OCM, doing it every 4 or 5 days, has been a little traumatizing: I get so much stuff out, large plugs, hard pieces, etc. It has really freaked me out. For the first 6 or 7 times I did it, I massaged for 2hrs because stuff was just pouring out and I didn't know how/when to stop.
Does that sound like your experience? The most recent 2 times haven't been nearly as bad, but still I get a lot of specks out. I had a bad purge from the earlier sessions too; ==. I think it was all the stuff that came to the surface, but not 'out'.
Thanks!

I'm so sorry, SoCalGirl, I totally didn't see your post until now. When I do it, I normally massage for about 20 minutes, and probably get several dozen tiny plugs out, mostly hardened white heads. Even then, I still feel that many/most of my pores are not dumping out their contents. For reference, I have normal skin with probably smaller than average pores for my age. I still feel like a newbie with this, so I'm probably not the best person to give you their perspective, but I hope this helps Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |