Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Sylvia, I suspect its the clarisonic. I haven't read through the entire thread, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of us using OCM are using our bare hands. I know that if I used it with a brush, my skin would be raw due to all the friction - and I can't imagine how it'd be if my skin were dry! I like to think I'm pushing/coaxing it into the skin so that it can gently do its job (kinda melt the buildup away), rather than what sounds like using it to aid in mechanically buffing off surface gunk.

Klee, I've read that other people don't get anything out the first time, or even the first few times. Doubt that more castor would help, I wouldn't use more than 2:1. I'm thinking that might be too much and its gumming up on you! Or maybe you just have a lot of buildup? Some people went several times & then for 1/2 hour before they got plugs out.

And it only takes me a minute to wipe away the oil. You steam your face under the towel first, right? I use very little castor though, and as I remember that was the oil that was hard to get off. You might want to finish up with a gentle cleaner which I believe a lot of people do. Or even add a straight shot of a lighter oil at the end to help loosen the castor!
Much as I believe castor oil is the key, I really hate the stuff. The smell now makes me gag and its sooo thick and sticky. Sad I'm glad I only need small amounts in my mix.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
klee96

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA,I put the hot towel on my face and leave it there until it cools. Is that what you mean by steaming my face?
Maybe I am using too much castor oil because my hands actually feel sticky afterwards. I am going to try equal parts tonight instead of 2:1.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
You do need to be gentle with your skin when doing OCM, and it is a trial and error as to what oils and what percentage of Castor oil (if used) is tolerated by each person. I have very normal skin that tolerates a lot. My blend is 50/50 EVOO and Castor Oil I have never had any problems with it at all but that is my skin. I massage medium pressure and 10-15 minutes at most, but again my skin takes to anything.
You can check in the recipe section for options that include adding an emulsifier as DragoN recommended earlier or you use a warm/hot towel to remove the oil rinsing it and then repeating the process. I know some use a bowl of boiling water and a towel held over their head to steam (not daily though). I cheat and once a week I do my massage while soaking in a nice hot tub.
Part of the redness issue is due to the heat and massage stimulating blood flow to the surface of the skin, so as long as it calms down in a reasonable amount of time this is normal, and a good thing.
Purging is something you get or not but in the long run it is well worth it.
I don't have breakout issues and never have, but one of my sons had horrible acne exacerbated by a medicine he has to stay on and this worked like a charm for his skin, but he went through a month to 6 week period of worse before better.
I do use this method to cleanse nightly and have for over a decade.

HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
wave DarkMoon,

OCM is quite wonderful. However, it does take time to find what works best for you.

Quote:
My skin feels pretty soft but I will say that this method is quite time consuming.
I don't do it in the morning, as I don't have the time so I use a 2% salicylic acid wash in the morning, followed by a thin layer of benzoyl perozide treatment (both by Proactiv). I know another reader advised against BP, but I am prone to breakouts so I am not sure what else I would use.

Really....BP is a bad plan over the long term. You can increase the SA %, however you must use a good sunscreen. Must.

Due to the difficulty and time required to remove OCM, and the heat of the water etc. Emulsified OCM was born after a lady on another board kept repeating how much she enjoyed an emulsified OCM.

It significaly shortens the time required as well as increases the ease of rinsing it off. I don't need nor use another cleanser or toner afterwards.

All you do is add just under 10% polysorbate 80 to your oil mix and you have the emulsified OCM. It rinses right off. Much easier and very gentle on the skin.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if something like lechitin would work just as well as emulsifying the oils...? Maybe something to experiment with Smile Thanks for the tip!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:54 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
I wonder if something like lechitin would work just as well as emulsifying the oils...? Maybe something to experiment with Smile Thanks for the tip!

I think Lechitin would possibly make the mix more sticky? Shaking the oils to blend the heavier and lighter oils before each use isn't the issue, DragoN is recommending the polysorbate 80 to make the oils rinse off without all the time and heat required when using just a straight oil blend.

I know some (like myself) don't have a problem going with just oils, yet others do, I think those who are acne prone may find using the polysorbate 80 a very good option, as well as those who tend to have sensitive skin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, lecithin is just too sticky imo. I'd stick to poly 80
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Darkmoon and oasisjc. I didn't know that about the lechitin. So it sounds like I should stick with the polysorbate 80. Thanks a bunch Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:24 am      Reply with quote
I am using this emulsifier:

http://www.theherbarie.com/Olive-Oil-PEG-7-Esters-pr-98.html

Besides using in cleansing oil, I use it in the DIY Vt C serum too.

In the cleansing oil application, I don't feel my skin sticky afterwards. Easy to rinse off!

In the C Serum, it does a great job of mixing the oil & water together.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I've just read all posts of this thread and would like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and information.

I really like the sounds of OCM and would love to try it, however I want to get onto maintenance with obagi and get the summer out of the way first, I don't want to be breaking out during this time as I have many social engagements planned and I want to enjoy the results of the obagi for a little while at least.

I always used to think I had large pores but I think it is more a case of congested pores (T-zone) as when I do manage to get them somewhat clean, my pores are not very visible at all (I'm still learning), I think the OCM would be a good way for me to clear them out and keep them clean.

I really like the look of rosehip, grapeseed, jojoba, hempseed (found in volumes of 5ml,10ml,15ml so don't have to worry about it going bad before its finished) and tamanu oils and have sourced organic/cold pressed varieties to mix with caster oil for when I'm ready to start, do you think that's too much? I'd like to try the tamanu (great for scars, even pitted ones) and rosehip as a moisturizer in the am as I'll be using retin a PM.

I'm planning on using OCM in the PM mainly because of time issues and the fact that I love my gel cleansers (organic)/clarisonic/mircrofibre cloths, I want to start with 3 nights a week and concentrate on my T-zone initially then work my way up to the whole face.

I've never used OCM but I can remember using a vit e oil (contained lemon oil too) as a moisturizer some years back, sometimes I used to massage it in for about 5-10 minutes (I thought it would penetrate deeper and help with my scars better) and I used to get grains between my fingers and face.

I could never understand where this came from as the oil was clear and smooth upon application, I also failed to make the connection that the grit only came when I massaged for longer periods. I stopped using it because I thought there was something very wrong, little did I know then that it was actually very right, I don't recall how often I massaged for longer periods but I'm guessing 2-3 times per week and I don't recall going through any purging at that time. I used normal gel cleansers containing many nasty/harsh ingredients back then before the using the oil. Just thought I'd share my accidental experience of what I'm guessing was OCM
Laughing
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I found this while I was looking for oils to use for OCM, I found it very informative.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:

In the cleansing oil application, I don't feel my skin sticky afterwards. Easy to rinse off!

Great, thanks so much, Summer2004! I'll have to investigate that, too Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:46 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:

Garden of Wisdom has carried it too; but on backorder.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4076644/3778885.htm
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Much like summer2004 and her emulsifier of choice, I prefer the poly80 for it's positive effects in hair care re: DHT build up removeal. as well as uses in serums, OCM and simple air fresheners and the like. Poly80 , derived from coconut oil...so not quite as natural sounding as the olive oil esters. Same uses, however much less expensive.
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 am      Reply with quote
It's exactly 1 month since I've started OCM. Exclamation

Some questions I have:
1. How long is OCM recommend be done? I've read 1-1.5h and some say 2+. Two days ago I did it for 2 hrs and very little came out even though I used 20% C/80% EVOO (I began with 10% C/90% EVOO). The first week did 10/90 and so much came out after 1 hour.

2. Can I use a Vit C serum (the DIY one) after OCM? I'm worried about irritation to the pores (since they are cleaned out)

3. What should I use for moisturization?
I've tried gel = too light. Basic lotion= still not enough. cream= too much (irritated skin). I'm thinking a serum will do the trick (light & moisturizing)?

4. is it OK to use h202 on pimples?

----------------------------
I don't do it every night as my skin gets very irritated if I do it the next night (lots of small red bumps). I do it about 2-3 times a week.

2nd & 3rd week was HORRIBLE. I had lots of pus filled pimples on my right cheek, underneath my jawline, & chin that would NOT go away (the pus didn't harden). I think the pimples would transfer to other areas by the white blood cell "goo" that would come out during the messages. I could feel the oil getting lighter when the "goo" comes out.

They finally went away after I started applying hydrogen peroxide only on the pimples with a Q-tip. [I got this tip from a make-up artist on how she treats her own pimples. She uses an alcohol based toner (small pimples) or rubbing alcohol (extremely large pimples).]

This week, more pimples are coming out, but not as bad as last week. I continue to apply h202 on the pimples. The pus are drying up & coming out faster.

My skin is peeling a lot more. On days off, I use my Olay ProX facial cleansing brush.

The next day, my skin doesn't feel dry, but it looks dry.

Thank you DM, OJC, & DragoN for all the advice!
lulu68
5% products discount

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
So yesterday I went to the grocery store and bought: macadamia oil, flaxseed oil & grapeseed oil (they didn't have castor oil & I've got EVOO in the cupboard). At the pharmacy I picked up some castor oil.

After reading that EVOO was too heavy for some, I went with 50/50 grapeseed/castor oil. My measurements were a little slapdash - I just poured some of each into my hand (I'll have to come up with a better way because I think I ended up having too much).

I massaged and massaged, nothing came out but I did end up red in the areas I concentrated in. I tried getting it all off with the washcloth but I wasn't confident that I had so then I jumped in the shower and gave a good rinsing in there.

Afterwards my face felt a little tight and it looked a bit dried out around my chin so I splashed with cold water and applied some night cream.

My face did look a bit clearer but I wouldn't say any different to just after a scrub.

I'll definately try again - this time I'll mix the oils better, apply less and maybe start with 20% castor oil.

It would be a miracle if I could get rid of the plugs in my chin! They aren't black but the little bumps they make are noticeable.

QUESTION: You can use this around the eyes? Eyelids etc.?
reNee23

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Maybe it's just my skin..but I don't think I'd try this. My last experiment with oil left me with hair so greasy, it took all of 15 washes to make it semi-normal looking.

My skin is combination, very acne-prone and super fussy Sad Has anyone else like me try this before with good results?
lulu68
5% products discount

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Last night (approx. 24 hours after the first try), I noticed I had the beginnings of a blemish above my lip - I applied my Murad spot cream, today I brushed over it and a small gritty thing came off - blemish gone (I think). Whether this was anything to do with the OCM or not .... who knows? Last week I had quite a few blind pimples appear out of nowhere, that was before OCM but after I'd been using squalane for a couple of nights. It's difficult to determine the culprit, for instance I know I've been drinking more coffee and less water the last week and that could be the cause.

SECOND TRY: ok, I left it a couple of days and measured and mixed:
1 tsp Castor Oil
1 tsp Macadamia Oil
2 tsp Grapeseed Oil
1 drop Tea Tree Oil

shook it all up, steamed my face with a warm face cloth, patted face dry and massaged a small amount 1/2 - 1 tsp for approx. 5min.
I did notice that I felt some very small gritty pieces, although nothing I could see. Did the steaming with the hot face cloth and wiping. Then a thorough rinse in the shower.

After the shower I could see in the mag. mirror that my skin is dry with fine flakey bits (so small that without the mag mirror you can't notice) - almost as if a very fine layer is coming off.

I do seem to have less gunk in my pores although I noticed yesterday and today that my face (esp. the nose) looks muddy, as in dirty. I thought maybe it was more blackheads but looking closely in the mag mirror it doesn't look that way - it's as if my skin has discoloured .... strange!

Well, I'll keep at it every couple of days and see what happens.

On another note, the Copper Peptides and Derma Wand should be arriving soon (I'd never heard of either until I found this forum, now I'm going nuts). Oh, and I picked up some ACV today to make a toner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 am      Reply with quote
lulu68 wrote:

SECOND TRY: ok, I left it a couple of days and measured and mixed:
1 tsp Castor Oil
1 tsp Macadamia Oil
2 tsp Grapeseed Oil
1 drop Tea Tree Oil

shook it all up, steamed my face with a warm face cloth, patted face dry and massaged a small amount 1/2 - 1 tsp for approx. 5min.
I did notice that I felt some very small gritty pieces, although nothing I could see. Did the steaming with the hot face cloth and wiping. Then a thorough rinse in the shower.

After the shower I could see in the mag. mirror that my skin is dry with fine flakey bits (so small that without the mag mirror you can't notice) - almost as if a very fine layer is coming off.

I do seem to have less gunk in my pores although I noticed yesterday and today that my face (esp. the nose) looks muddy, as in dirty. I thought maybe it was more blackheads but looking closely in the mag mirror it doesn't look that way - it's as if my skin has discoloured .... strange!

Well, I'll keep at it every couple of days and see what happens.

On another note, the Copper Peptides and Derma Wand should be arriving soon (I'd never heard of either until I found this forum, now I'm going nuts). Oh, and I picked up some ACV today to make a toner.

Sounds like a good mix. Your first version, with 50% castor might have been too strong and irritating. Too much castor can dry your skin. I think most people have luck with about 30%. That's what I use as well. I throw in a mix of other oils for the remaining 70% (mostly jojoba, but some hemp, rosehip seed, and apricot kernel). I also add a couple drops of lavender and rosemary essential oils.

I do use by by my eye and on my eyelids - it's great for getting the remnants of eye makeup off. With the tea tree oil you might want to be cautious around the eye.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:05 am      Reply with quote
reNee23 wrote:
Maybe it's just my skin..but I don't think I'd try this. My last experiment with oil left me with hair so greasy, it took all of 15 washes to make it semi-normal looking.

My skin is combination, very acne-prone and super fussy Sad Has anyone else like me try this before with good results?

If you have the time to read through more of this thread, you'll see that many people have had good luck with OCM including those with acne prone skin.

One trick to help it wash off your skin is to add a few drops of polysorbate 80 to your OCM mix. This helps it rinse off more easily. I started adding this to mine and it makes a difference.

Part of the trick for acne-prone skin is to use the right type of oils. Avoid heavy oils like olive oil, carrotseed, and rosehip seed. Instead use the castor at 30-40% and another lighter oil - jojoba is good, maybe apricot kernel or sweet almond. Look through the thread for mixes that have worked for others with acne-prone skin.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to clean with oil...that's what I thought too...but it really does work nicely.
lulu68
5% products discount

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:03 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:

I do use by by my eye and on my eyelids - it's great for getting the remnants of eye makeup off. With the tea tree oil you might want to be cautious around the eye.

Thanks ShastaGirl. That makes sense re. the TT oil - why didn't that occur to me. Ah well, it didn't seem to bother them (mind you, it's such a small amount I can't even smell it - I was hoping it would counteract the CO smell).

5% products discount

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:37 am      Reply with quote
So I have a curious thing to report. I have been using OCM for about four months and loving it. I have been using a 50/50 mixture of EVOO and Castor oil and had what seems like the typical experience of lots of stuff coming out for about the first two weeks and then very little coming out after that.

Last week after reading on EDS about all the benefits people have had from using avocado oil on their skin, I tried substituting AO for the EVOO in my mixture. Well it seemed like I had tons of plugs come out...more than even when I first started OCM. It happened the each time since I made the switch (it has been six times so far).

This may sound disgusting, but I lay a white tissue down before I start each time and simply wipe any plugs off on it as they come out. When I decide to stop massaging, I can easily see (even count) how many came out that time. This makes everything quantifiable. The first few times after the switch I had about 25-28 plugs come out.

To be clear, I have really good skin...fairly thick, even toned, but with larger-than-I'd-like pores and an oily T-zone. I almost never break out and had been thinking my skin was looking especially good since starting OCM (definitely smaller pores)...so where are these new plugs coming from?

This morning (day 6) I still had about 20 come out, but they were very tiny.

If anyone else wants to try experimenting with AO...especially if your OCM hasn't been yielding as many plugs as it used to, I would be very curious what your experience is. For motivation, the AO thread makes it sound like a wonder balm for the skin. They report everything from getting rid of melasma to making your lips redder. Actually, I think there are two separate AO threads...one about skin and one about the lips.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I don't mean to throw a wrench into this whole thing, but could it be that the "plugs" everyone refers to are just dead skin that finally collects & balls up in the process?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
lulu68
5% products discount

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I don't mean to throw a wrench into this whole thing, but could it be that the "plugs" everyone refers to are just dead skin that finally collects & balls up in the process?

I've been wondering that myself ........

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I was just throwing it out there, but after giving it some thought I'm fairly certain that they are actually plugs. This is gross, but the reason I know is because I've got oily, brown skin and if I rub my skin (hard) after I use something like vit c, the ball that may collect is soft & dark coloured, while plugs that appear during ocm are hard & white. And I almost never get blackheads.

I'm guessing that shed skin just kind of dissolves in the oil during ocm... my filthy microfibre cloths can attest to that. eeeew! Another important reason to wipe or wash it off completely afterwards.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |