Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I love the OCM.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
has anyone tried both OCM and counter cleansing oil?

the counter oil cleansers that i use all turn to a milky texture when water is added and rinse off cleanly. i wonder if it makes a difference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:18 am      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:

the counter oil cleansers that i use all turn to a milky texture when water is added and rinse off cleanly. i wonder if it makes a difference.

I have ever use the counter cleansing oil but I don't work for remove bleackhead at my nose.
It was so suitable for remove sunscreen and cosmetice.
Anyhow, I am interseting in OCM method but I am still not sure to use it also. this topic is too much opinions and make me confused.
Moveover, I don't know how can I buy the Castor oil in Thailand? Idea
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:39 am      Reply with quote
NoNaMe,

You might want to look for Castor oil under the name RICIN oil. It is known as such here in Sweden and several other European countries, it might be named that in Asia also.

It is usually sold in pharmacies and health food stores.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
thanks anna_in_sweden for the tip.

NoNaMe, when i use counter brands, i can feel bits of grit coming out of my skin. the black heads are still there though but i feel they are less. i am also tempted to try OCM.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much, Anna_in_Sweden. Smile

Unfortunately, I still could not find “RICIN OIL” at here. Crying or Very sad
Anyhow, I will try to look for again. Wink

Snowstar : my friend tell me, she dab BP 2.5% first and next 15 min she use the counter cleansing oil. Then the blackhead is come out. Actually, I don’t try it yet. Now I use just only jojoba oil, just start and I cannot tell anything.So, I will let you know the result later.
Laughing
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
thanks NoNaMe.

I tried use 100% pure olive oil but hate it. think we need to add castor oil. the olive oil can't be washed out with only water...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Snowstar,becareful! oilve oil will make brakeout.

My 3 days result of jojoba oil cleasing, some blackhead are move out but not much as I want Confused .
Anyhow, it doesn't make me brakeout. My friend said, jojoba oil is for cosmatic cleansing and it will reduce pore size also. But it will take time.
Schnee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:26 am      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:

OCM= oil cleansing method, it doesn't mean that you have to use a DIY oil. A good quality counter cleansing oil with plant oils works just fine, and it washes off easier. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:10 am      Reply with quote
thanks schnee, i thought it meant DIY oils only. hehe. silly me Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
HPJRT? First of all, I too have over fifty skin and I'd like to know which oils you use to cleanse your skin. You also mention you don't need to use another cleanser after the OCM cleansing if you follow the instructions. I may have missed something but to which instructions are you referring? Many thanks!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi lefemme,

Yes ... unfortunately I'm well over 50! Laughing Crying or Very sad Laughing I'll be 56 this year ... Confused

I use a 50/50 mix of cold pressed castor oil and grapeseed oil. I have a lovely ceramic "soap dispenser" that I fill with this mix, and then I just pump out what I need to cleanse my face. Smile [This seems to satisfy my need to have pretty cosmetic containers! Surprised ]

And ... no ... you didn't miss the instructions in this thread ... at least I don't think you did. There have been so many threads on this subject ... but I happened to save the "original" instructions that were posted on the Long Hair Forum ... [of all places ...] ... and they are posted below.

I'm afraid that I can't recall the name of the woman who originally posted this article ... Confused ... I wish I could give her credit.

Also ... the article talks about a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil [EVOO] and castor oil ... but my skin didn't like the Olive Oil ... which is why I use Grapeseed Oil instead. The castor oil is important ... but the other oil can be largely selected on your own preferences. Further ... if the 50/50 mix is too drying for your skin ... it's easy enough to alter the percentages.

Enjoy and HTH!

Mary

Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

The Routine:
Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.

Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.

As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.

Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.

After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.

If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary.. Well thank you so much for your information on cleansing with oils. BTW, I've got you beat by a year--I'm 57 (though of course I can't believe it!) I think what I might do is use One-third each of grape, EVOO, and CO. Or,I might go totally crazy and use 25% each of grape, jojoba, EVOO and CO. I keep reading about the marvelous things jojoba oil can do for your skin.. My skin is pretty much on the normal side, so I think this mix will work for me. Again, thanks so much for your help!

Beth

(P.S. -- do you purchase your EVOO oil for cleansing from the grocery store or is some special EVOO required perhaps?-- I know a cold pressed CO is used for facial cleansing, and not the drugstore variety..)
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have to say this again. I OCM
I just made up another batch of 50% CO, 35% EVOO, 15% grape seed oil and a few drops of rose hip. My face has never felt cleaner, and I mean ever, and so soft. Zits and blackheads are history and I can tell my pores are shrinking.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I posted this on another thread but didn't get a reply, so here goes again . . .

what do you think about using OCM with the clarisonic?

Toni

5% products discount

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Quick question - the people at the beginning of this thread mention the 'LHC' forum... What do those letters stand for?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Beth,

I generally purchase my oils at my local health food store ... and I don't use EVOO at all in my OCM mixture ... but if you were to purchase a grocery store version of EVOO that advertises "cold pressed" [although "extra virgin" is supposed to mean cold pressed] then it would probably be fine.

I save my jojoba and other oils like it to use after OCM ... because let's not forget that the majority of the oil that one uses in the actual cleansing of our skin is going to get wiped away, along with makeup, dirt, grime etc. Laughing

Hi Toni,

Using OCM along with the Clarisonic is fine. I don't have a Clarisonic ... but I do have an electric toothbrush that I use a few times a week and I use that with OCM. I'm sure I've heard of EDS members using OCM and the Clarisonic together. Very Happy

Hi KTKat,

I don't know what the first poster meant by LHC ... or at least I don't know what the "C" stands for. The first place I found the actual instructions for doing OCM was on the Long Hair Forum ... so I presume that the "LH" stands for "long hair".

If that's not it ... I'm at a loss. Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
yep, it stands for Long Hair Community forum where the first poster first heard of OCM: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/index.php

I think Im going to try this w/ some camelia oil first if I can find it in the store tomorrow, or then I'll try the castor oil since I use it in a formula on my lips and don't seem to be allergic to it. I have some blackheads that popped up on my nose from a lotion/ MMU combo. I sampled. I think I'm going to do what Frodo tried, try it only in the necessary area, my nose area, to test it out.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I love this method! I first considered it when I read about old Italian women who looked about 1/2 their age, and who only cleaned their skin with olive oil, soaking their faces and scraping it off.

I didn't try it myself until I read about it online. I wish I hadn't waited so long!

I've been using OCM for about 3 weeks now. I use a mix of about 20% castor oil, 40% olive oil and 40% almond oil. I tried it twice, but couldn't tell if my pores were cleaner. I have blackheads on my nose, but small pores. I didn't feel any "plugs" come out. Since I wanted to compare before & afters, I decided to use OCM on half of my face only. I went to examine my pores in the mirror, and I was amazed to see that the forehead wrinkles I had were about 50% less on the side I had used OCM on! After one use! And this is after I used if full face twice--I'm sure this had already decreased my wrinkles, but I just hadn't noticed.

My skin also feels more moisturized and smoother. I still have some redness & little bumps, but an asprin mask seemed to help that a bit too.

Has anyone else tried using a little baking soda in their cleansing oil? This is good for a really deep cleaning. I use it on my SO (who has really big pores), and it gets alot of gunk out. Don't rub it abound like an exfoliator (unless you want to), just smoosh it into your face with the oil. I just use a couple of pinches in the palm of my hand, then mix the oil right in. I don't know what it is, but the baking soda just seems to pull the dirt out. I have normal skin, so I only do this about once a week so I don't dry out.

Here are some tips for those who are breaking out:

1. Do not use the same washcloth more than once! When you rub the oil off your skin cells & dirt stick to the cloth. Bacteria love this damp environment & grow here. If you do need to re-use the cloth, get it wet, put it in a bowl, and microwave for 2-3 minutes, just like you would do to a sponge.

2. Make sure you get all the oil off. If you don't it, and the dirt in it, will stay in your pores and can cause breakouts.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
I'm actually using coconut oil for the OCM, but may try the EVOO/Cator oil mix and see if that helps. I must say at first I was skeptical, but the OCM with the coconut oil seems to be working out well for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I myself used the OCM months ago during my pregnancy basically because I wanted to cut out any chemical products that I was using, and I really liked it. I used a 50/50 grapeseed and CO mixture, but after a couple of months doing it it became too time consuming, I have a four year old and was rapidly getting larger. Once my son was born, back in September, I stopped altogether, but I have since started it again. I was wondering what the really great advantages of Jojoba Oil are, and should I try that oil instead of the Grapeseed. I don't think that my skin would like the Olive Oil, too heavy, but how do the Grapeseed and Jojoba Oils compare to each other??
Sc4r1ett
5% products discount

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to thank Choclat for pointing me in the direction of this thread from SkinInteractives.

Luckily I had some CO in from GoW and tried the OCM - wow! very very impressed! I used 50/50 EVOO and CO but then applied some neat CO on top mid massage - I exfoliate regularly, both physical and chemical, but I saw a REAL difference with this method, you could acutally feel those sebum plugs popping out! My skin is now clean, soft, plump and tight - I swear I've lost 5 years in an hour.

Thank you!

Dancing Scarlett
x
edithsz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to all of your posts on OCM I did this the first time today. I used castor oil and camellia oil 50/50 and so far I am pleased with the results. Thanks for this great idea.
svunt1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
I bought some salicylic acid from TPF a while ago to add into my OCM mix. I never actually received them until today. I tried emailing them, but no response. I'm in Australia by the way, so I am not sure what happened to my orders. Sad

Do you girls know any other place to buy salicylic acid from?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I've been hearing such great results from OCM I finally decided to take the plunge and try it myself. Oily skin, large pores, stubborn blackheads around the nose, prone to monthly breakouts on the chin...

Used a 75/25 mixture of cold-pressed, hexane-free castor oil and jojoba oil. Been using this for the last 4 days. I confess I DON'T spend 5 minutes massaging it in, probably 2-3 minutes at most. And I follow up with Murad clarifying cleanser because I love the salicylic acid it contains.

So far, so good - I actually received a complement from a salelady in my natural food store! She asked ME what I use on my skin! Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |