Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Funky,
Hi Castor oil I have never had to refrigerate most unrefined oils last longer if refrigerated. Some more than others, most times when you purchase it will say on the bottle, I do with my larger bottle of Avocado oil, but the small bottle I mix to use I keep on my night stand.
You can google any oil you may want to try and check out the properties it will usually tell you if it needs refrigeration or not. Many online sellers of DIY ingredients show on the website if it is required or not.

HTH
Rona

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:12 am      Reply with quote
1/5 Castor + 4/5 Jojoba -- what do you think of that combination Very Happy?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I think give it a shot, a lot of times I use just straight Jojoba. However I have been at this method for years. If you don't see results add more castor oil a little at a time until you find your perfect blend. One of the great things with this is you can tweak to suit your own skin.

HTH
Rona
Have Fun! 

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Where do you buy jojoba and avocado oil?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am      Reply with quote
My local health food store carries both, Whole Foods Markets if you are in US. If not some online sellers off the top of head:

http://www.mountianroseherbs.com

http://www.iherb.com

http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/form_avocado.html

there are many online suppliers, you can check on the DIY forum as well for others.

HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Alright, I bought avocado oil also, so now I have avocado, castor and jojoba. Is it okay to mix them all together?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Vor wrote:
Alright, I bought avocado oil also, so now I have avocado, castor and jojoba. Is it okay to mix them all together?

yes Vor mix away, just keep Castor oil at 50% or lower, and you will be fine!

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the castor 30% + EVOO for 1 week now, I haven't felt any gunk come out yet. Maybe I'll add more castor into the mix and try again
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Funky,
It does depend, some find the Castor oil too drying for them at 50% so they start off with less and work up until they find the perfect blend. It is a bit of trial and error at first. At least you started with less and can add more slowly instead of the other way around. I have read some people giving up because they used a lot of the Castor oil to start with and became dry! I at 55 still have normal skin so a 50/50 blend works for me, it really depends on your specific skin type.

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Here's my mix atm: 1/6 castor + 2/6 avocado + 3/6 jojoba.
It looks good :P.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Vor,
Keep us posted with results, and if your skin purges come get encouragement, it will pass!!
Good Luck

DM

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Well I started this about a week ago using 30% castor oil and 70% grapeseed, and have since gone to 50/50. I have oily skin, so I haven't dried out. I haven't made any progress on my blackheads, which is a major disappointment, but I do seem to be purging clogged pores. That's no fun, but at least it's evidence that it's helping.

But I started this to get rid of blackheads. I'm thinking of using some sort of clay mask afterward to help.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Wicked,
where are the blackheads?
how long are you massaging?
Are you using a hot cloth?
Or are you steaming?

May have suggestions if I have these answers.
One is since you said you don't get dry try 60/40 with castor oil being the 60 and see if it gets them out!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Wickedwitch, I would suggest you try using a blackhead remover tool. Use it after you have massaged the oil into the skin.

5% products discount

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone suggest a simple start up combination.

I've never used the OCMethod.

Thanks DarkMoon for your responses.

I'm early forties Asian, pore problems around nose and chin.

I'm going to try it for my enlarged pore problems.

Thanks,
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't have dry or sensitive skin:
50% Castor oil
50%of any of the following:
Extra virgin olive oil
Grapeseed oil
Jojoba
unrefined Avocado oil
Hazelnut oil
Flaxseed oil
Rice Bran oil
Kukui Nut oil
Macadamia oil
That is what I can pull off the top of my head at the moment.
There are plenty mentioned on the OCM thread as well also some EO's to add depending on needs and whether you wish to add any or not.

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,
I've been reading up on OCM as I want to try it again to reduce the size of my pores. I tried it once several years ago and it was a disaster, mainly I guess because I wasn't able to remove all the oil afterwards. I still have a couple questions before I start, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can clarify things a bit more for me before I take the plunge. Thanks!

1. Will OCM exacerbate active acne? I have cystic (painful- the kind that takes weeks to go away) pimples a lot, and I wonder whether the oil will make the inflammation worse?

2. It says in this thread to remove the oil with repeated wipes of a hot towel. Can any towel do, or should I use a microfibre cloth? How on earth do I clean the towel afterwards? From what I understand, oil is extremely hard to remove and I wonder whether the laundry machine is sufficient to wash out all the dirt and oil? If not, I wouldn't want to rub that stuff back into my face the next time I do another OCM.....

3. For those of you that also use a Vaculifter, would it be OK to first Vaculift and then massage cleanse (or vice versa) and then wash everything off in one go? I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm super lazy and want to save an extra step, but I'm not sure if one process may negate the other...?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can answer these questions for me, thanks in advance!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
FatSwan,

I will answer all I can for you. I have always had very normal skin a once a month zit or two at most was it as a teen.

Any cloth will do yes it must be kept scrupiously clean, the washer will do just fine. Some people swear by the micro cloth, one poster bought a "bargin batch" of regular washcloths at the dollar store and said they were better at absorbing the oil off her face. We have just used regular wash cloths. The we comes next.

My son has acne and to make things worse a med he is on has acne as a side effect of coures it excaserbated his.
My routine for him:
Added Tea Tree oil to the mix as it kills bacteria. The biggest "danger" of OCM with acne is spreading the bacteria to other parts of the skin. This is another reason you must remove all oil completly as it cleans out the dirt, bacteria and oil.
I did have him wash, tone and use an oilfree mousturizer after.
Keep Castor oil at 50% this gets deep in and removes the offending gunk. It is also a drying oil, why s many with dry skin use a smaller amount in their mix.
The vaculifter will be for another to answer, I don't own one.
I think it is best to expect the breakouts with OCM at first but they pass and some don't have it happen, pleasant suprize. Your skin is purging the toxins out so if it happens it is a normal part of the process.

I am including a link that has much info on OCM and acne. It has recommendations for best oils to use with the Castor oil for acneic skin.

http://www.highonhealth.org/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-oil-cleansing-method/

I hope this helps you, the site I linked to is good, BTW my sons skin looks great.
Sorry if I missed anything!
I posted link as typing on iPhone (long story) my thumbs are getting caluses.

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just wondering where everyone stores their oils. Do any of them "NEED" to be refrigerated?

Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Fatswan, I have a Vaculifter and think it's a marvelous tool - however, I would not advise using it whilst your acne is active.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Songbird,
some oils do indeed go rancid rather quickly and should be refrigerated while others like olive oil don't. Off the top of head

the ones that need refrigeration

hempseed
emu
avocado
flaxseed
sunflower

there are others, Brain does not want to think right now, sorry. Some have said Grapeseed oil but mine lasts a long time just in the pantry.
I'll try to find a link that lists which ones I posted it somewhere but can't remember where!

HTH at least somewhat!

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Angel Thanks DM. You're an angel. Angel

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi DarkMoon,

I'd like to know if all oils supplied by different suppliers are more or less the same.

Say rosehip oil, if 2 suppliers use cold pressed to extract the oil, are their products the same in terms of quality?

I am aware that the rosehip oil of Mountain Rose Herbs are much less expensive than Trilogy and Kosmea.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone use coconut oil mixed with castor oil? Is this an ok combination?
wickedwitch

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:17 am      Reply with quote
So it turns out that using around 80% castor/20% grapeseed. It's a bit drying, so I only do it every other night.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |