Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:16 am      Reply with quote
that really sounds fantastic moonlitflowers! congratulations on your great rutine!

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
okay, I bought the following oils:
castor (cold pressed), EVOO, wheat germ oil, jojoba, and grapeseed. I am finding that EO's are NOT good for my face in the OCM. My question is: do u think it is a good idea to mix a little of all these oils? Or just a few? what amounts of each? can I mix enough for a weeks use or just the day? What type of bottle can I put it in to store it?
sorry, I have only been reading this site for the last month and am just starting to get everything together to begin a daily ritual. Before I would use a facial wash and maybe a mositurizer with a SPF (gasp!) and that was it. Now I have a bathroom FULL of goodies (and an empty bank account) to experiment.
thanks!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Canadagal,

Wow ... another Canadian! Nice to see you here! Very Happy

Having had a lifetime of skin problems, I think it's always wisest to start simple and then add things one by one in order to see how my skin reacts.

I think, if I were you, I'd begin with a 50/50 mix of castor oil and EVOO. If you find that the EVOO is too rich a mix, then combine one of the other oils and just experiment until you find the perfect mix for you.

By the way, for anyone who wants to be certain that they are having difficulty using certain oils, you might want to try Hemp Seed Oil. According to a site that lists the pore clogging properties of oils [I can't locate the exact web site URL at this moment! Crying or Very sad ] Hemp Seed Oil doesn't clog pores at all.

That being said, I found for myself that in the warm weather, grapeseed oil was the best in combination with castor oil. As we came into winter, with the heat in the house on, I found that adding some EVOO was a good idea.

Until you find your "ideal" mix, I would make up very small batches ... enough only for a week or so. Once you have found the mix that's right for you ... then mix up a larger amount.

I purchased a lovely ceramic "lotion dispenser" from Zellers for about $10 ... and I keep my cleansing oil in that. It looks nice on my bathroom vanity ... and I just have to press the pump to get the oil onto my hands. This seems to satisfy my love of "cosmetic packaging" ... and lets me feel that I'm using something luxurious for my face. Laughing

I have also added some salicylic acid to my cleansing oil mix to about 1%. Salicylic acid helps in cell turnover ... which also helps to keep skin clear and reduce the signs of aging. I purchased the salicylic acid from my local pharmacist ... and it's a very inexpensive addition to the cleansing oil.

For those who are interested, the following formula will give you about a 1% concentration of salicylic acid in cleansing oil.

1 level teaspoon of salicylic acid in 8 ounces of cleansing oil

Salicylic acid is soluable in oil ... but you need to use a small stick blender [or a hand held blender I suppose] to ensure that you mix the salicylic acid into the oil for total dispursement.

Now I've only been using the salicylic acid in the cleansing oil for about a week ... so I really don't have any personal experience on whether or not this will be an actual benefit or not. However, lots of cleansers contain salicylic acid in them ... and with the OCM method more of the active ingredients actually get a chance to penetrate into the skin, thus able to do some good.

Anyone with an aspirin allergy should probably avoid this addition since salicylic acid is a part of aspirin ... but if you have problem skin, this just might be the best of both worlds.

One percent of the salicylic acid in the oil shouldn't be enough to irritate your skin, although until your skin gets used to it, I suppose there could be some minor irritation and/or peeling ... which would indicate that the salicylic acid is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

However, in the week that I've been using salicylic acid in my OCM mixture, I have not had any such reaction.

What I have noticed, however, is that my skin seems to be becoming even smoother ... but whether that's the salicylic acid ... or my imagination remains to be seen.

Good luck

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
I use about 10-20% castor oil (needed to remove plugs but tacky feel) and then a mix of EVOO, grapeseed oil and a face oil composed of nut oils and vit E. I usually add 1-2% salicylic acid and a bit of ylang ylang and lavender EOs. I haven't made it the same twice (sometimes I also add A-lipoic acid breaking a pill cap). Sometimes I warm the oil before use.
I love OCM. My face is older, typical T zone with very dry chapping patches in the winter. OCM has allowed me to clean the pores without irritationg the dry parts. I think that everybody can use this method by just adjusting the oils and additives to fit their own skin. Some people are allergic to particular EOs. I like the aroma lying in a hot tub and/or steaming my face. I think Ylang ylang is acceptable to most people and it is antiseptic so my cleaned pores don't get infected. I've also ordered geranium oil from TPF and I'm looking forward to trying that.

I've only been doing this for a few weeks but my skin really is smoother.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sharky,

As one older skinned woman to another Laughing ... have you found that the A Lipoic Acid has done anything for your skin?

I was looking at ALA on the weekend and wondering what [if anything] it would do for me in OCM. Laughing

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
OCM didn't work for me Sad Doesn't surprise me though cause it seems everything natural upsets my sensitive skin! I tried EVOO and a jojoba mix and the next day I broke out in a tiny pimple like rash thingys and my skin was super red and dried out. It took 3 days to heal it back to normal, I couldn't even wash my face or use makeup, I wasn't a pretty sight being 8 months pregnant and all (poor hubby, he's really being neglected Wink ). I felt like crawling under the bed, I wanted to cry! Crying or Very sad I guess I will leave well enough alone for now!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Wow Moosette Hope you're feeling better. Everybody's skin is so different it's a shame that trial and eorror sometimes results in big errors.

hpjrt: I honestly can not say exactly what each ingredient does. I use ALA orally for blood sugar control (the R-form is more active so I buy those pills). I started using it in mixes I make because it helps with emulsification. The pills generally contain some portion that is not soluble but you can get higher concentrations than in commercial products. I put it in the oil because it is anti-inflammatory.

There are supposed to be wrinkle benefits (all but one of these studies were done by Dr. Perricone) and like most things it seems to help some people more than others. This is a quote from "smartskincare.com"

"How does topical lipoic acid fare in clinical studies department? Well, at this point it holds a junior position. In one small-scale study, high potency lipoic acid reduced mild-to-moderate wrinkles by up to 50 percent, whereas fine lines have almost disappeared. In another study, lipoic acid significantly improved the appearance of certain types of scars. In both studies the effectiveness varied among participants, from little effect to a marked improvement. However, this shouldn't disqualify lipoic acid as a "wrinkle cure" contender. Even well established wrinkle treatments tend to produce widely varied results in different people. If further studies corroborate skin benefits of lipoic acid, it may become one of the mainstays of today's anti-aging skin care. In fact, lipoic acid will be especially welcome in the family of proven wrinkle fighters because it is less irritating than tretinoin (Retin A, Renova) and hydroxy acids. (Therefore it can be used, albeit in lower concentrations, in delicate and wrinkle prone area around the eyes.)" from "smartskincare.com"
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Having tried commercial oils (DHC and Shu Uemura) I just cannot get into OCM. Aside from anything else, I just found them messy (all that pumping and pouring and trying to get it onto the face without dribbling out of your hand down your arm and chest Laughing )

Anyway, sorry to sound like a broken record, but anyone not quite sold on OCM but wanting the same benefits I would SO recommend getting some Eve Lom cleanser.

There is no mess to get it on the face and once there it just dissolves and can be massaged like an oil. It comes off without any problem (love her cloths too) and never leaves a film and has never given me even ONE pimple (more than I can say for Mr. Uemura).

Skin feels baby soft at the end and never dry.. and it is the only cleanser I have that 100% whips out those blackheads baby! I know it is not the cheapest cleanser in the world (not too bad if bought direct) but cleansing is so important it is worth spending a bit more.

Sorry to hijack this thread to plug her! Razz
surfer
5% products discount

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm new to these boards and very happy to find others are liking the OCM. Smile I've used this off and on for years - found it on LHC forums too - and have always had success with it.

My skin is dry and thin but breakout free. The oils I prefer are olive oil (mixed with a few drops of lavender oil) and coconut oil. I prefer jojoba as a moisturizer, especially around my eyes. I tried almond oil, but it doesn't seem to 'sink' in very well as you are massaging it in. Castor oil, in any combination left me too dry. Grapeseed oil as well.

A tip for a container - the refillable plastic bottles from MAC pro stores are perfect for using oils. They have a dropper top, so it's easy to dispense just the amount you need. And they only cost a couple dollars each. Wink

Anyways, just wanted to post my results and say thank you to everyone else who loves to experiment and share what they've found. Along with the changes in my diet it's the best thing I have ever found for my skin. Very Happy
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
sometimes I find my skin rather sensitive. IN the past I have tried to use all natural facial washes or else my cheeks turn so RED. In university my Dr told me I had roseaca. Are there any oils I should AVOID?
thanks!
klytamnestra

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Razz

I just started using OCM yesterday, but so far I am very impressed. I really want to use grapeseed oil, but for now am using jojoba to mix w/ the castor oil. I was amazed to see the blackheads start coming out. I will continue to use it, although I am somewhat wary of a reaction from my skin, being that I do suffer from cystic acne (controlled w/ proactiv). *fingers crossed*

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the OCM Method for about a week now. I've got a breakout at the moment, but suspect that it's part of the purging of the crap in my skin.

I noticed here that alot of people are saying that they blackheads are coming out. I've not really noticed this. There do appear to be less of them, not sure if that's due to my Ginvera Marvel Gel or not. I do find that they are a bit easier to extract (I know, I shouldn't pick).

I maybe don't massage for long enough. I do a quick massage and then use the hot face washer to steam myself a bit.

Perhaps tonight I'll put more effort into massaging. Is there any particular direction? I just use my fingertips in circular motions.

Kylie
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I've been doing OCM for about a week now (at night) and it is really making a difference; however, I think it is necessary to massage your face for atleast 5 minutes. I believe this is needed to work out all of the gunk from your pores. I have found, if I try to shortcut it, then I don't pull out anything and I am super prone to blackheads on chin, nose, cheeks and forehead (lucky me). This is also why I do it as night - can allocate more time.

Fortunately, I've been making my own serums for healing/acne treatment for a long time so I know that hazelnut oil works w/out breaking me out and that's what I ultimately mixed 50/50 w/castor. I did try store-bought castor oil, which was a disaster on my first attempt. Only use expeller pressed to avoid unnecessary chemicals. I had a major breakout w/the pharmacy brand.
yuyu
5% products discount

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Only use expeller pressed to avoid unnecessary chemicals. I had a major breakout w/the pharmacy brand.

Hi scalawaggirl,

what is expeller pressed oil, and where can I get it?

Also could someone give me the link for the LHC forum please?

Thanks

yuyu
surfer
5% products discount

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Here is the link to the forums. Have fun!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Kylie,

finger tips in circular motion is the way to do it.
starkers
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:38 am      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
Kylie,

finger tips in circular motion is the way to do it.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing and doing it for longer and I have actually had some plugs come out.

Some of my pores don't seem to have anything in them, but they are still big. My skin is looking better and I will persist.

Thanks again,
Kylie
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
finally i dragged my lazy ass to whole foods to get castor oil. I used OCM for the first time today.However, for some reason, I did not get any gunk off of my pores. Hm... maybe I should massage it longer.
After cleansing tho, my skin felt extremely smooth.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
hm.... day 2 using OCM. This time, I massaged my skin for like 20 mins. Still no plugs came out of my pores?
Did I do something wrong/?
help......
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
hm.... day 2 using OCM. This time, I massaged my skin for like 20 mins. Still no plugs came out of my pores?
Did I do something wrong/?
help......

The key I've noticed for my self and hubby is not only the massaging but the hot wash cloth. It helps open the pores. HTH

5% products discount

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I find a lot of things come out when I massage, especially into my nose. Blackheads and the works. It's kind of gross, haha.
But then a day later a big inflamed pimple came up on my nose. I've had problems with pimples coming up before. Something about "purging".
Well, I liked OCM at first, but now I think my skin hasn't liked it much. Maybe it over-cleans it with the Castor Oil. I'll definitely stick to it to just take off makeup, but maybe I'll create another home-made cleanser that isn't so much of a vacuum.
I think we still need to let our pores do the work naturally to some extent.
jellyberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
(reposted)

I'm trying the OCM as soon as my oils arrive! I was wondering....is OCM suitable for 16 year old teenagers? My younger sister wants to give it a try too! She has a bunch of blackheads as well.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jellyberry,

I think ocm is def. suitable for a 16 year old. It's just olive oil and castor oil. It really is the best thing I've ever used for clearing blackheads and my skin. I would just follow the directions that have been posted here on this site carefully for the best results. Very Happy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9717&start=0
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
hi all....
hm... first, I massage for like 110 mins. then i put hot towel over my face, then i massage some more for like 10 mins. still nothing came out. my skin feels smooth and clean, but i want to see some plugs come out.....
did i do anything wreong with my ocm routine?
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Roadtonowhere,

What ratio of olive oil to castor oil are you using?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |