Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Oil Cleansing Method

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
SoCalGal
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 175
Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess wrote:
Still unsure what to do with dry powdered mud.. I assume I mix a small amount with water and leave it on my face once a week.. But I'm afraid to just go do it lol.

I got an enormous amount of ick out of my face last night. I tried to steam my face a little before putting on oil with hot wash cloths. In less then a minute a bunch of black granules were in my hands and the number just grew the entire 10 minutes.

Lately it' been hit and miss I can see more things coming to the surface to purge but not necessarily out of my face yet. And some nights not much seems to come out. Seems like my forehead lost a lot of blackheads on mass with the steaming.

Just an FYI that the mud 'blooms' as you add water to it - doubling or tripling in size, so start out with a small amount.
Good luck, I'm glad you've finally got it.
SoCalGal
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 175
Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="MafiaPrincess"]I have mud!

It thankfully arrived as canada post says it's still in BC..

Hope this stuff rocks as the shipping charges were undetermined.. Showed as 0.. and ended up costing more than the mud ugh.

So.. now I have a bag of mud and I'm unsure what to do with it.. lol.[/quote
The shipping was more than the mud?! Does that happen often? I would be irritated as heck, and I don't mean my skin!
For that money, they should have somebody drive it to your house! lol!
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I used it. It was possibly more watery then it should have been for my first attempt but it coated my face and dried up. Face feels good.. Seems like it helped draw some ickys to the surface.

I've never bought anything before that didn't create shipping charges at checkout or tell you they would okay the charges with you before shipping.

It said to call if you needed to know the charges right now.. but without contact I was wondering if shipping was included maybe (that's happened enough).

Mud was 9.95, was 2.82 for tax for ontario and then 11.75 to ship it. I potentially would have kept looking if I knew as 250g of mud wasn't that much product or that heavy.
SoCalGal
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 175
Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:29 am      Reply with quote
Mafia Princess, how are things progressing? Did the mud help?
I think the shipping charge was obscene, so I hope you saw results! Shock
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Can't say here's much of a difference. I'm trying to poke my face less which can be hard. I may be helping to cause the redness..

Yep the shipping charge was obscene.. If I'd realized I would have held off and not ordered from them.. Didn't realize I had to call to prevent it from going through with lord knows what as a fee.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Posts: 499
Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Mafia Princess,

With your mud, you can crush a couple aspirin, and use milk or water to mix the paste. [ if you are not allergic to ASA ] The water mix is quite drying for me, the milk mix more gentle.

It does wonders for redness.

I use bentonite usually, or Kaolin if skin feels too dry...add some other powders as well because of their healing benefits. Blah blah blah.

EO's can also be very beneficial. Tea tree oil, Juniper berry, Cajeput oil, Lavender oil, Eucalyptus Blue gum.

Dark Moon can give you more suggestions.

And...the shipping charge blows me away!! What a rip. Today shipped to the US about 300grams and it cost $7.38!!!! And I am half the world away!

Nutz.
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you. I am not allergic I may go try that now even though it hasn't been a week since my last mud mask just to try it.

Lavender oil gives me headaches unfortunately. I was using tea tree when I started this journey over the summer but wasn't massaging near long enough.. I hadn't thought about adding it back in.. I've heard good things about apricot oil but haven't made the trip back to the health food store to see what I could find.

Yeah the shipping charge was asinine.. Curious what it actually cost to ship but postage wasn't on it. Only the charge inside the package on the invoice.

I've been looking into hennaing my hair. I can get a kilo of henna shipped to me for about 16 bucks within Canada. If stuff is heavy I can see it being pricey but hat is heavyish and not bad..

Stuff from the states lately blows my mind and a lot of places are UPS to here only so brokerage on top of high shipping fees.. Found henna I'd prefer but 35 bucks UPS to here for 500g and then brokerage fees and the usual sucks to be Ontarian taxes.

*pout*
taligator
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I've been exclusively doing OCM for a few months now. I started with jojoba/castor and then moved strictly to jojoba for my normal oil and that seemed to work better than the combo. Every so often I'll mix them for a deeper clean.

About 3 weeks ago I switched to using hemp oil after reading the thread on it.

In general, I only OCM 2-3 times a week usually a couple minutes at a time. I've shifted to doing it 10 minutes at a time. I've never really have the grainy feeling that others describe but I've noticed less flaky skin and it's smoother overall.

That said, I'm now getting a lot of breakouts on my left jaw (ugh like everyone it seems), I still have the flaky skin at my t-zone and I'm at my limit!

I never wore cosmetics, sunscreen, or even used a lot of complex products on my skin so I don't know what I'd be purging.

I'm at the point where I picked up a mild acne cleanser to get rid of these bumps. I have never had skin this bad in my life and it kills me.

In your expert opinion, do you guys think I need to do this daily for 10 minutes each time for awhile to get everything gone?
SoCalGal
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 175
Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 am      Reply with quote
taligator wrote:
OK, I've been exclusively doing OCM for a few months now. I started with jojoba/castor and then moved strictly to jojoba for my normal oil and that seemed to work better than the combo. Every so often I'll mix them for a deeper clean.

About 3 weeks ago I switched to using hemp oil after reading the thread on it.

In general, I only OCM 2-3 times a week usually a couple minutes at a time. I've shifted to doing it 10 minutes at a time. I've never really have the grainy feeling that others describe but I've noticed less flaky skin and it's smoother overall.

That said, I'm now getting a lot of breakouts on my left jaw (ugh like everyone it seems), I still have the flaky skin at my t-zone and I'm at my limit!

I never wore cosmetics, sunscreen, or even used a lot of complex products on my skin so I don't know what I'd be purging.

I'm at the point where I picked up a mild acne cleanser to get rid of these bumps. I have never had skin this bad in my life and it kills me.

In your expert opinion, do you guys think I need to do this daily for 10 minutes each time for awhile to get everything gone?


I feel your pain! If nothing is coming out, does it seem like the bumps are plugs that have come up but not out? If so, I would say massage longer, but if there is no congestion, I'm not sure why you're purging.
I'm also not sure if anything is going to come out without the use of castor oil - that is what does the actual cleaning out of the pores. The other oil(s) is to disperse the thick CO and force it down into the pores, as well as to buffer the drying action of the CO. I would go back to 25-30% CO, and try massaging for 20 min. Make sure to use a little pressure. You should feel the plugs coming up to the surface and then out onto your fingers. If you don't get anything (which I doubt or you wouldn't be purging), I would go back to your very brief massage.
Be sure to let us know how it's going.
HTH
SoCalGal
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 175
Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 am      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess wrote:
Thank you. I am not allergic I may go try that now even though it hasn't been a week since my last mud mask just to try it.

Lavender oil gives me headaches unfortunately. I was using tea tree when I started this journey over the summer but wasn't massaging near long enough.. I hadn't thought about adding it back in.. I've heard good things about apricot oil but haven't made the trip back to the health food store to see what I could find.

Yeah the shipping charge was asinine.. Curious what it actually cost to ship but postage wasn't on it. Only the charge inside the package on the invoice.

I've been looking into hennaing my hair. I can get a kilo of henna shipped to me for about 16 bucks within Canada. If stuff is heavy I can see it being pricey but hat is heavyish and not bad..

Stuff from the states lately blows my mind and a lot of places are UPS to here only so brokerage on top of high shipping fees.. Found henna I'd prefer but 35 bucks UPS to here for 500g and then brokerage fees and the usual sucks to be Ontarian taxes.

*pout*

Super expensive and it wasn't even very fast! Nuts is right!

If you have rose water, I use that to make my mud - it's very soothing and OCM usually makes me dry and tight. It will help with redness. Tamanu oil helps to heal too if your healthfood store has that.
I hope things are improving!
taligator
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:


I feel your pain! If nothing is coming out, does it seem like the bumps are plugs that have come up but not out? If so, I would say massage longer, but if there is no congestion, I'm not sure why you're purging.
I'm also not sure if anything is going to come out without the use of castor oil - that is what does the actual cleaning out of the pores. The other oil(s) is to disperse the thick CO and force it down into the pores, as well as to buffer the drying action of the CO. I would go back to 25-30% CO, and try massaging for 20 min. Make sure to use a little pressure. You should feel the plugs coming up to the surface and then out onto your fingers. If you don't get anything (which I doubt or you wouldn't be purging), I would go back to your very brief massage.
Be sure to let us know how it's going.
HTH


I will start using the castor with the hemp since the castor is very drying and the hemp is heavier/moisturizing for my skin. Maybe the two will balance each other out.

I have more blackheads than I've ever had and I have a bunch of the tiny whiteheads on my forehead, nose, and chin. My jaw acne is the hard painful kind.

All that said, I'm also wondering how much of this is hormonal/stress and not just my skin going whacky. I've had weird skin for the past two years but it's just at the worst point ever now.

I had nearly perfect skin my entire life and I guess I was too proud of it as I'm now paying the price. Wink
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I found I was using too much castor and helping dry my face out. I was hoping more castor would equal more gunk removal. I'm down to a tiny amount of castor in a puddle of jojoba and more gunk then ever is being removed from my face.

It took a few weeks of 10 minute massages before the first gunk came out for me after having done like 2 minute massages for a few months. 2 months or so of that and nothing happened except the start of some jaw purging.

I started the longer massages the 2nd week of September and now my nose is fairly clear and it's always been blackhead city.

The painful acne is starting to lessen. My face is still splotchy but seems a little less super red today.

Think I'll go mud my face again tonight and use rose water in my mask. Seems we have no aspirin in this house I wanted to try that too.
SoCalGal
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 175
Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess wrote:
I found I was using too much castor and helping dry my face out. I was hoping more castor would equal more gunk removal. I'm down to a tiny amount of castor in a puddle of jojoba and more gunk then ever is being removed from my face.

It took a few weeks of 10 minute massages before the first gunk came out for me after having done like 2 minute massages for a few months. 2 months or so of that and nothing happened except the start of some jaw purging.

I started the longer massages the 2nd week of September and now my nose is fairly clear and it's always been blackhead city.

The painful acne is starting to lessen. My face is still splotchy but seems a little less super red today.

Think I'll go mud my face again tonight and use rose water in my mask. Seems we have no aspirin in this house I wanted to try that too.

Aaah, very good! It's hard to believe how drying an oil can be - I really have to moisturize after the OCM! And yes, I can't stress enough that for those of us with congested skin, 2-5min is Not Enough! Get that gunk out - it's satisfying isn't it? I finally got a session in last night (had the flu) and I still got some uglies out of the under edge of my chin where it's alwasys been worst, but just specks (although a good number of 'em) from elsehere.
MafiaPrincess, have you ever tried African Black Soap? Not to drive you crazy with more products, but it's deep cleansing and really helps fade the marks from zits. I got the liquid form from SheaTerraOrganics.com and it is doing a good job with my pores and with evening out my skintone. It's available lots of places - just a thought!
Happy Halloweekend!!!
taligator
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
have you ever tried African Black Soap? Not to drive you crazy with more products, but it's deep cleansing and really helps fade the marks from zits. I got the liquid form from SheaTerraOrganics and it is doing a good job with my pores and with evening out my skintone. It's available lots of places - just a thought!
Happy Halloweekend!!!


Would this be good for hyperpigmentation? This summer my skin exploded with it on my forehead and on the sides of my eyes and it's so ugly to me since I have very fair skin and it just looks dirty. It has faded some since starting OCM but ..
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Used a little baking soda with water on my face in the shower.. Then used jojoba with a touch of grapeseed, castor and teatree on my face for 10 min. Lot of gunk came out.

My cheek blew up a week-week and a half ago it's starting to look decent again. Forehead is clearing of blackheads. Face feels nice and smooth tonight.

I've never heard of African black soap I shall go look it up.
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
SoCal..

Thoughts on this brand of african black soap?

http://www.dermacare.ca/product/ELI-002

Looking around it says it's good on things like eczema. And personal experience on the wonders it can do? I have PITA psoriasis. Tried varying things but still keep tiny patches everywhere. Because I only get small patches the dermatologist shrugs me off. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on other stuff it might help..
MafiaPrincess
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
*poke*

My face seems to be less painfully cystic.. It's just badly red...

And I'm contemplating the black soap..
ShastaGirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 978
Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed that OCM seems to buffer their Retin-A?

I've been using OCM several nights a week - usually on the same nights that I use Retin A. However, the last couple nights that I used my Retin-A, I used a regular cleanser instead. And now, for the first time in months, I have the "Retin-A flakies" and redness again.

It might be coincidental, but I was thinking that maybe the residual oil from the OCM was working to buffer the Retin-A. Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, I've been using Retin-A .05% for ~1.5 years (this time). No change in other products recently, so it's not likely to be something else affecting my skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl,

A few things there shouldn't be any residual oil left after cleansing with OCM, it's crucial that all the oil containing dirt, make up ect. be thoroughly removed.

If you feel that no matter how much you attempt to remove the oil try a gentle toner to make certain it's all off.

There are quite a few members that both use OCM and Retin A, you may be getting more of a reaction due to the deep cleansing and removal of dead cells removed by OCM?

I have a theory that doesn't pertain to Retin A but feel it needs mentioning, all those that are having breakouts on the chin area just may not be removing the oil as thoroughly as it needs to be in the chin area, leading to the breakouts there.

Just some thoughts. Smile

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
taligator
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Just an update, I've been using the Castor and Help combo and it's working out really well. I did start using a mild acne cleansing wash for a few days to clear up what was going on with my jawline and once that cleared up I've solely been using the OCM and my face is doing very well.

I think the castor was certainly the key since I wasn't using it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
taligator wrote:
Just an update, I've been using the Castor and Help combo and it's working out really well. I did start using a mild acne cleansing wash for a few days to clear up what was going on with my jawline and once that cleared up I've solely been using the OCM and my face is doing very well.

I think the castor was certainly the key since I wasn't using it.


I tend to agree that Castor Oil is key, but some have had good results with straight Jojoba.

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
ShastaGirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 978
Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
ShastaGirl,

A few things there shouldn't be any residual oil left after cleansing with OCM, it's crucial that all the oil containing dirt, make up ect. be thoroughly removed.

If you feel that no matter how much you attempt to remove the oil try a gentle toner to make certain it's all off.

There are quite a few members that both use OCM and Retin A, you may be getting more of a reaction due to the deep cleansing and removal of dead cells removed by OCM?

I have a theory that doesn't pertain to Retin A but feel it needs mentioning, all those that are having breakouts on the chin area just may not be removing the oil as thoroughly as it needs to be in the chin area, leading to the breakouts there.

Just some thoughts. Smile


Thanks DM. I've tried the OCM both with and without a toner and my skin didn't feel any oiler without the toner, so I wasn't using it. Maybe I need to go back to it. I do steam and gently wipe 2-3 times.

I'm going to continue using the regular cleanser on my retin A nights (every other night) for now and if things settle down. Maybe it's simply the colder weather causing the dryness and flakes.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl,

LOL. It's always fun trying to figure out others skin care needs! Laughing

I tried, but you know your skin best, hope it all settles down for you soon!

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
ShastaGirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 978
Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
ShastaGirl,

LOL. It's always fun trying to figure out others skin care needs! Laughing

I tried, but you know your skin best, hope it all settles down for you soon!


Heck, it's hard enough trying to figure out your own skin care needs, let alone someone elses! I do appreciate the suggestions.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
ShastaGirl,

LOL. It's always fun trying to figure out others skin care needs! Laughing

I tried, but you know your skin best, hope it all settles down for you soon!


Heck, it's hard enough trying to figure out your own skin care needs, let alone someone elses! I do appreciate the suggestions.


Maybe it's because my skin is so absurdly normal and tolerant that I try to figure things out for others! Laughing
I just had to poke a bit of fun at myself there!
LOL

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
System
Automatic Message
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Sothys Anti-Ageing Comfort Cream - Grade 2 (50 ml / 1.69 floz) Payot Techni Liss First First Wrinkles Smoothing Care (50 ml / 1.6 floz) June Jacobs Protective Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (47 ml / 1.6 floz)