Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber De-Tox Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Original Formula Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Aromatherapy Associates Anti-Ageing Instant Skin Firming Serum (30 ml / 1.0 oz)
Oil Cleansing Method

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Posts: 399
Sun May 14, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone had problems with mold growing in the oil?

I put my olive oil/castor oil mix in a cleaned out pump bottle of neutrogena cleanser. I usually use the oil just to take my makup off or on my lashes for conditioning. But when I pumped some out last night, I saw little black specks. I was afraid it was mold growing so I didn't use it.

T
jzainoun
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Sun May 14, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Dear Cloe,
I want to thank you so much for your reply and support!
I am really despaired. My skin looks even worse than before I was put on retin A. It is filled with whiteheads (please pardon the visual grossness, the kind that are relatively easy to squeeze out and are filled with creamy white excretions that come out in "swirls"--again, sorry for being disgusting).
I think I should stop ocm. or is this a purge? how do I know what to do??
Sad
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Posts: 463
Sun May 14, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
hi, jzainoun,

If I were you, I might stop the OCM if there is too much purging going on (if that indeed is purging).

I was also using tretinoin before I started OCM. I've been OCM'ing for only 1 week. I didn't purge much coz I believe I purged enough when I started with tretinoin, (which wasn't even much whiteheads)...

The only purging I experienced was hard whiteheads, like deadskin cells (grainy) coming from my skin. Not swirly ones like yours. Is is that time of the month? Are they deep? or easy to squeeze? if they are easy to squeeze, I'm guessing they might be coming from your routine Sad Maybe you should relax it a bit. Cut the OCM or the retin A, they might not be doing well together Sad maybe less is more...

Also, try aspirin mask so that you can slough those off quickly Smile

_________________
31, Combination normal-dry skin, loves CSRx, PSF, A'kin, Decleor, ACV, Jojoba oil!
jzainoun
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Sun May 14, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
thanks joziegrozy!
so have you stopped the tretinoin alltogether?
I also do get some "grains" coming off, but the other whiteheads and bumps are now all over my forehead and cheeks, especially some really visible ones on the my cheeks on both sides of my nose, under my eyes (or the circles under the eyes-- i happen to have deep set eyes, or that's the only way i can really describe it)
maybe i should stop the ocm... my chin is mainly where the swirly bumps have appeared, but my forehead also, but i don't dare squeeze too much there for fear of scarring.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 324
Sun May 14, 2006 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
jzainoun wrote:
Dear Cloe,
I want to thank you so much for your reply and support!
I am really despaired. My skin looks even worse than before I was put on retin A. It is filled with whiteheads (please pardon the visual grossness, the kind that are relatively easy to squeeze out and are filled with creamy white excretions that come out in "swirls"--again, sorry for being disgusting).
I think I should stop ocm. or is this a purge? how do I know what to do??
Sad


Joanne,

Whiteheads all over usually mean you're purging. If it's been a couple of weeks and your skin is still acting up like this it's possible that ocm is too heavy for your skin. But it's also possible that your skin is really congested and needs more time to clear. It’s hard to say for sure.

Have you tried a blemish serum of any kind? This is really helping me a lot!!! I've been using Home Health blemish treatment lotion which has salicylic acid and other ingreds. to help keep the skin clear. I use it all over my face every morning and I use it to spot treat my blemishes many times throughout the day.

I also just started using a glycolic acid product, called Pimple Eraser, at night before bed and this is helping a lot as well. My skin is really starting to look smooth and clear. I still have some blemishes but they're nothing like before and still clearing, scars too.

I highly recommend using a blemish treatment product and applying it several times throughout the day to get the problem under control.

You should also go with your instincts as far as whether or not to continue with ocm. Everyone’s skin is different. Maybe try a lighter oil like jojoba or grape seed oil instead of olive oil and see if that helps.

Keep me posted on your progress and Good luck! Very Happy
jzainoun
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Thu May 18, 2006 6:10 am      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
jzainoun wrote:
Dear Cloe,
I want to thank you so much for your reply and support!
I am really despaired. My skin looks even worse than before I was put on retin A. It is filled with whiteheads (please pardon the visual grossness, the kind that are relatively easy to squeeze out and are filled with creamy white excretions that come out in "swirls"--again, sorry for being disgusting).
I think I should stop ocm. or is this a purge? how do I know what to do??
Sad


Joanne,

Whiteheads all over usually mean you're purging. If it's been a couple of weeks and your skin is still acting up like this it's possible that ocm is too heavy for your skin. But it's also possible that your skin is really congested and needs more time to clear. It’s hard to say for sure.

Have you tried a blemish serum of any kind? This is really helping me a lot!!! I've been using Home Health blemish treatment lotion which has salicylic acid and other ingreds. to help keep the skin clear. I use it all over my face every morning and I use it to spot treat my blemishes many times throughout the day.

I also just started using a glycolic acid product, called Pimple Eraser, at night before bed and this is helping a lot as well. My skin is really starting to look smooth and clear. I still have some blemishes but they're nothing like before and still clearing, scars too.

I highly recommend using a blemish treatment product and applying it several times throughout the day to get the problem under control.

You should also go with your instincts as far as whether or not to continue with ocm. Everyone’s skin is different. Maybe try a lighter oil like jojoba or grape seed oil instead of olive oil and see if that helps.

Keep me posted on your progress and Good luck! Very Happy


Cloe, you are really very kind!
I think I am going to stop OCM (as of today... i've been saying that to myself everyday now, but somehow kept on using it), since i've really just about tried all the kinds of oils (the lighter ones, i've researched which oils have the least comedogenic tendencies) & proportions with castor oil, and it just seems like i am just creating the whiteheads/plugs with the oils, only to "remove" the ones i caused with another OCM session (does that even make any sense ?)
BTW, what is this pimple eraser you've been mentioning?
thanks again for your support and suggestions...
if you have any more ideas, please let me know! (i am quite desperate Sad ...)
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 324
Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Joanne- I just now cought your last post. I was searching to see if I had missed responding to anyone and there you were.

Here's a link to my Pimple Eraser review and all the info.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12997&highlight=cloe

Also, here's a link to my routine and how I cleared up my skin.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12974

Hopefully this will help you as much as it helped me. Let me know how you're doing and how you get on with whatever you decide to try. Very Happy
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
hi all,

any one still on this post? i am going to try it out but still wonder if its as good as some of you have raved about? it doesn't tend to clog the pores or something?

_________________
shazza
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 1283
Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I just gave OCM a try. 50/50 castor oil and EVOO plus a drop of lavender oil. I massaged for 10 minutes and then put on a hot wash cloth over my face about 10 times. The routine is very very relaxing. I am thrilled with the results. My face is so soft, clean and glowing. The OCM did more for my face in one application than anything I have ever bought. My face isn't oily afterwards which surprised me. I am in love with this idea. If my face continues to look like it does right now I will be able to throw out half of my products that are in my bathroom cabinet which in turn will save me a ton of money. Very Happy

I will give another review in a about a week to let you know how it is going.

Thanks LegallyBlonde for posting today otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 1049
Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
I thought it was the greatest thing at first. I gave it about a month, month and a half I think and then my face sort of flipped out (with the worst breakout I had had in a long time)... whether it was a result of the OCM, I am not sure. But once I stopped, my face slowly but surely healed. Was it a serious purging? Possibly. Was it an allergic reaction? Could have been as I have many allergies.

This is just my individual experience. You have to try it to know for sure. There are MANY who experience success with OCM, I'm just not one of them. Sad

I hope it works for you!

_________________
early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 1283
Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I hope so too. I have had experiences with other products that start out good and end up bad. I sure hope this isn't one of them as I just feel so pretty right now.
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
ok. thanks!

frodo, please keep me updated with your results. am kind of scared of the "purge" possiblity as i have pretty good skin right now (except for blackheads on the nose) and don't want to make it go haywire. however, i'm going to try tonight and periodically post my results as well, so others can see and decide as well. wish me luck! Neutral

_________________
shazza
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 1283
Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
legallyblonde wrote:
ok. thanks!

frodo, please keep me updated with your results. am kind of scared of the "purge" possiblity as i have pretty good skin right now (except for blackheads on the nose) and don't want to make it go haywire. however, i'm going to try tonight and periodically post my results as well, so others can see and decide as well. wish me luck! Neutral


Maybe since you are scared of the purge how about just doing your nose because that's where your blackheads are?
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
legallyblonde wrote:
ok. thanks!

frodo, please keep me updated with your results. am kind of scared of the "purge" possiblity as i have pretty good skin right now (except for blackheads on the nose) and don't want to make it go haywire. however, i'm going to try tonight and periodically post my results as well, so others can see and decide as well. wish me luck! Neutral


Maybe since you are scared of the purge how about just doing your nose because that's where your blackheads are?


that's a great idea! i'll try that out first (for about a week) and see how it turns out. Very Happy

_________________
shazza
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 872
Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still using OCM ... every morning and night. I have been since August of 2005. Very Happy

I do find that in the winter, I have to actually steam my face once or twice a week ... but I don't need to do this in the summer.

I'd never be able to go back to traditional cleansers ... not when OCM has kept my skin so very clear of problems. Smile

That said, when I went on vacation in October, I didn't want to have a bottle of oil in my luggage ... so I tried Burt's Bees Orange Essence oil cleaner ... and really loved it. I used it exactly as I would use my own OCM blend ... and it worked great for that week.

When I came home, though, I went back to my OCM blend. I guess I'm just used to it ... Very Happy

Mary

_________________
Over 50, combo, OCM. Originator of Pearl Paste ... www.silkenpearl.com
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 1283
Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
That said, when I went on vacation in October, I didn't want to have a bottle of oil in my luggage ... so I tried Burt's Bees Orange Essence oil cleaner ... and really loved it. I used it exactly as I would use my own OCM blend ... and it worked great for that week.Mary


That's funny that you should bring up Orange Essence. I used Lavender this am and I am not to crazy about the smell and was going to use orange tonight.
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:53 am      Reply with quote
hi gang! so i'm posting my results so far.

3 days in using OCM. i have to say i'm happy i took frodo's advice - i am just doing the "I" of the "T zone" - i.e., nose, above lips and chin. its a great way to test out OCM and, even if it works on me (still to be determined), at least my face won't all be freaking out in the "purge" phase.

so, i think it is working. at least my face isn't going crazy on me. i did develop this *huge* pimple on my chin Sad but i sort of expected it since the whole point of OCM is that it brings dirt/grime from deep in the pores to the surface.

my nose, where i concetrate my efforts, seems to be clearing up of blackheads - its hard to tell since i still see a lot of them, but they do look "smaller" or not as deep, if that makes sense? so i guess those babies were deeply rooted in the pores! yuck! that just shows how i haven't been taking care of my skin (okay, there were a few years that i slacked off)...

so, i anticipate by this week next time, i will really see results as those babies will have surfaced and start really clearing out by then. will keep all posted.

_________________
shazza
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
oh, one last thing. i massage for about 5-10 minutes w/ the oil (depending on how tired i am), then i douse areas w/the oil mixture again (i use 50/50 EVOO and CO) and let that sit for 5 minutes or so and then do the steaming w/washcloth. all while sitting in my bath.

_________________
shazza
gigiab6
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 230
Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
has anyone had problems massaging their nose/t-zone area and getting anything out? I feel like everywhere else I am having an easy time but here its hard to massage because my bones are more apparent there...any advice or ideas on how I can still properly massage and make ocm work b/c everywhere else on my face i love it.

_________________
24, fair skin with larger pores, occasional acne and experiencing the first signs of aging--aagh eye crinkles!
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:09 am      Reply with quote
gigiab6 wrote:
has anyone had problems massaging their nose/t-zone area and getting anything out? I feel like everywhere else I am having an easy time but here its hard to massage because my bones are more apparent there...any advice or ideas on how I can still properly massage and make ocm work b/c everywhere else on my face i love it.


i find it is a bit harder around the nose area. i use a "back and forth" movement, not a circular motion for around nose and sides of nose, circular only for the top. not sure if this is as effective but only way i can maneuver area.

question for you and others: do you find your pores get bigger from OCM method?

_________________
shazza
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 1283
Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
legallyblonde wrote:

question for you and others: do you find your pores get bigger from OCM method?


I have only been doing this since Monday (5 days) and am noticing that my pores are getting SMALLER. My blackheads are gone and so are my zits. So far I am loving this method.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 1409
Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Any suggestions for how to travel with the oil, if going by plane?
legallyblonde
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 16
Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
my update.

ok, so i am now a convert of the method. Very Happy

i am grateful for everyone's prior comments because that helped me be careful when trying it out. i only do the entire face maybe 2x a week and not back to back. otherwise, i found it to be too drying for my skin. plus, that way, my face won't go too crazy. however, i do it around my problem areas (t-zone) every night and i have seen a HUGE difference! for years i have been struggling w/those nasty blackheads and would you believe it? they are almost completely out and as a result, the pores on my nose did get smaller (just takes time).

there are still a couple of stubborn plugs located in a tricky area but i will work on it. it does help to massage at it - just leaving oil on doesn't really do much (my opinion). so far, i love it! i even converted my brother onto it (same problem blackhead on nose problem).

Very Happy

_________________
shazza
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Mogwai wrote:
This interests me. Haven't tried it yet. What is the follow-up, as far as cleansing? I mean, do you just rinse the oil off with water, or is it followed by some type of commercial cleanser?


I like to follow up the OCM with a toner just to freshen up. I recently came across L'Occitane Olive Water Face Toner which contains both olive and castor oil (I use 50/50 olive and castor oil to cleanse) so this seams to be the perfect toner to finish up with. In addition its alcohol free and is also available from EDS now.

I don't believe its necessary to follow-up the OCM with another cleanser. I find OCM removes makeup far better than anything else (it even removes mascara).
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 872
Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
As Keliu says, there's no need to follow up OCM with another cleanser. If you follow the instructions, all of the oil is removed ... leaving your skin very clean ... but not feeling tight or stressed.

I do use an exfoliating toner after OCM at night ... but in the AM I just do the OCM and then follow with my "morning routine" of moisturizing and makeup application.

It really has been the very best thing I've done for my skin ... and after 1.5 years of following OCM ... I feel confident about its effectiveness.

Mary

_________________
Over 50, combo, OCM. Originator of Pearl Paste ... www.silkenpearl.com
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Osmotics Blue Copper 5 Prime Sleep Tight Mask (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Dr Hauschka Hydrating Hand Cream - Limited Edition Large (100 ml) Ahava Age Control Even Tone Sleeping Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)