Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LBH
5% products discount

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:43 am      Reply with quote
It could be a combination of both. I am sure at least some of the grit are plugs because the size of my pores has definitely decreased since I started OCM and my skin looks very even and clear. I know that AO has vitamin A in it which could cause a slight peel...perhaps leading to more dead skin coming off. However the pattern of having a lot of stuff come out for the first few weeks, which then diminishes over time seems more consistent with the stuff being plugs since our skin is shedding skin cells all the time.

If anyone had a microscope we could know for sure...if that's not too gross!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried a mix of 50% castor oil, 25% jojoba oil, 25% grape seed oil, and a few drops of lemon and grapefruit essential oil. I didn't have any plugs come out but my skin feels very soft.
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I don't mean to throw a wrench into this whole thing, but could it be that the "plugs" everyone refers to are just dead skin that finally collects & balls up in the process?

LBH wrote:
Last week after reading on EDS about all the benefits people have had from using avocado oil on their skin, I tried substituting AO for the EVOO in my mixture. Well it seemed like I had tons of plugs come out...more than even when I first started OCM. It happened the each time since I made the switch (it has been six times so far).

Plugs for me are blackheads. Mine has the little black dot on top... while others are blackheads that hasn't oxidized (no black, just a hard white piece).

Other stuff that comes off are scabs (that are white) and small rolled up dead skin (you could tell b/c they are much softer than a blackhead).

I've noticed that EVOO is way too much for me. So I'm going to try out jojoba (b/c of the raves - just bought it today!). If that doesn't work out - avocado oil (thanks LBH! I was going to buy it today.. but passed b/c I haven't heard much) or almond oil.

I need some of that p 80 stuff... hopefully I could find it locally!
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:08 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Part of the trick for acne-prone skin is to use the right type of oils. Avoid heavy oils like olive oil, carrotseed, and rosehip seed. Instead use the castor at 30-40% and another lighter oil - jojoba is good, maybe apricot kernel or sweet almond. Look through the thread for mixes that have worked for others with acne-prone skin.

Here to report back!

I've been using EVOO for the past two months & it's been HELL! LOTS of new pimples coming out. Like a teenager! Everytime I would do OCM (10% castor oil, 90% EVOO) I would break out the next day! (I thought it was normal since everything was coming out aka purging)

Finally switched to jojoba oil. WORLD OF THE DIFFERENCE! Very Happy

I did it for 3 hours. My fingers were a little bit raw afterwards, but my face didn't feel raw. Woke up this morning with a MUCH clearer face!

I had a bad breakout around my chin... about 1 billion little pimples. Most of it are gone!

Most of the plugs were small... (I did OCM about 5 days ago and most were big [10/90]. I did get a facial 4 days ago - to reset!)

I'm hoping that it stays this way because the first time I used EVOO it was great, until the 2nd & 3rd time.. that's when it went downhill.

I did end up picking up avocado oil!
herry1

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi..........
Very useful topic. I like so much.
Now i use this method,ten i give you feed back.
I am very thanks full to you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Is it need to steam your skin after putting the oil?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I learned about the lemon trick from a friend. The acid in lemon juice actually take away dead skin and can help brighten skin tones. They're really good for dark circles under your eyes, but lemon juice in your eyes doesn't go well, so make it away from your eyes. When lemon juice is mixed with sugar into a rub, the sugar cleans your pores and the lemon clears the unwanted skin. Add some vaseline to cool it down and make it soft. Doing this every couple days makes your skin baby smooth. You can also have ice facial, that numb the face while you pop any pimples, so they don't inflame. And the lemon juice fades acne scars, too. And you can eat as much junk food as you want as long as you follow it with a facial.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I haven't yet tried the OCM - tho my basic cleansing cream is based on sweet almond oil - but I do have a few random thoughts to add. I've only read half of the thread, so apologies for any repetition! Some posters report rashes, acne or dry patches which develop over a period of time. One possible reason for this is residues of laundry products used to wash the cloths: my facial skin is certainly reactive to chemicals that my body tolerates.

Another possibility is an incompatibility between the cleansing method and other products applied to the skin. For example most primers and anti-aging moisturisers contain silicones, some of which can only be removed by sulphate surfactants (SLS/ SLES). If these are allowed to build up on the skin, blockages or irritation may result. For me cutting out sulphates had a unexpected side-effect: both my scalp and T-zone became less greasy overnight! Very Happy This makes wonder if some of you are using harsh ingredients in other products (retinols, sulphates, vit C, benzoyl peroxide) that are signalling the skin to do the opposite of the OCM?

I also think part of the benefit of this method can be attributed to stopping using the previous cleanser, and/ or to the oil acting as a protective barrier. It took me years to realise my patches of eczema are aggravated by (sulphate heavy) shampoo and shower gel, because oils in my skin and haircare had been providing some level of protection. I don't mean to be negative about OCM, just hoping that this might help someone who is struggling find a solution.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I'll have to agree - after losing the protective barrier, people may be way more sensitive.

I used my housemate's laundry detergent a while ago (at probably a third the suggested amount per load) and I literally could not sleep in my sheets or nightie at night. The scent just seemed so toxic to me, and it seemed like it was making me hot & sweaty. It was a leading brand, so I was amazed that so many people could be breathing/ingesting these scents every day - or worse at night, when fresh air is that much more important to cell renewal.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 am      Reply with quote
SecretB5StopsAcne wrote:
And you can eat as much junk food as you want as long as you follow it with a facial.

Shock secretb5stopsacne Super Nanny should condemn you to the naughty stool for putting this thought in people's minds. Bad Grin Laughing

How about just not eating junk so that you can serve your body well both inside and out, huh? Junk doesn't just mess with your skin but your whole body, and in time even the facials will not be able to keep up with the toxins your body will be bringing to the surface when you're chock full of them. So if skin is your priority, you're better off just staying away from junk for the long run.

beauty mask wrote:
Is it need to steam your skin after putting the oil?

beautymask I personally use a warm cloth to wipe off the oil. I don't actually hold my face over steam, nor do I use a hot cloth over my face anymore. (I have this suspicion that extreme temperatures--cold or hot--are not good for the skin.)

This is just a personal feeling not necessarily fact, but I just would not feel clean if I used cold water or a cold cloth to wipe off the oil. I suppose knowing that warm soapy water washes grease off better than cold soapy water might have something to do with this sentiment I have.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
I tissue off and then use a very warm, slightly steaming micro-fibre cloth. I place it near my face (if its too hot), then on my face when its comfortable, and lean down so the steam doesn't
escape.

It definately softens the skin and loosens the dirt/oil the way a cold, wet cloth (shudder) couldn't.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
OK after reading a few pages from this thread I decided to give the OCM a go just now...

In an amber glass bottle (that has a spray type nozzle) I mixed 1/3 organic olive oil; 1/3 organic sesame seed oil & 1/3 organic macadamia oil.

In my bathroom I already have organic avocado oil that comes in a pump bottle and I have a bottle of castor oil. So I mixed a capful of the castor oil a squirt of the avocado oil plus 2 good squirts of the oil mixture I made so this gave me a ratio of roughly a quarter of each.

I started massaging and plugs started coming out straight-away - not a lot but after 8 minutes I had about 20 plugs. I'd put on clean black trackpants b4 starting and this will sound gross but I was experimenting, I wiped each plug onto the black pants so I could see them clearly. I knew they were plugs and not just balled up dead skin because when I stopped the massage and wiped my face with a hot face cloth there were still some little plugs poking out on my nose which I pulled out with tweezers.

I thought this would leave my face oily but it didnt - I have quite dry skin anyway - so my skin was dry as usual. Lets hope that I dont have a massive breakout because despite having dry skin I am prone to breakouts. I hope the 2 cystic spots on my chin dry up from this and vanish cos they hurt! lol Laughing the cystic spots I'm convinced are from just having started taking biotin - biotin is antifungal and wipes out excess candida albacans - so I'm sure the cystics spots are the bioton wiping out some excess candida floating around in me... Wink
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:45 am      Reply with quote
OK I'm sold on the OCM - I woke up today and the 2 cystic spots on my chin are drying up and disappearing and they're no longer painful! Smile when I woke up my skin was nice and smooth and yet all I wore on my face to bed last night was aloe vera gel - I do that from time to time - skip my usual skincare regime and just use aloa vera...

I'll do OCM tonight too and see what happens! Wink
Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
How's the OCM working for you Glamcat? I've been doing it every other day for the past week and after this morning's cleanse, I've developed a bit of a rash along the jawline on both sides of my face. It's red with a bumpy texture and is itchy and stinging. I think it's a bit swollen too.

I had to rewash my face today with Cetaphil as I couldn't take the itchy/stinging anymore. I put a little Vitamin E oil on my face and it's much better now.

Is this my way of purging? Ugh it's nasty! I'm using 25% castor oil and 75% grapeseed oil. I wonder if the castor oil is too much for my super dry skin?

I think I'm going to take a few days off and try it again in 3 or 4 days with EVOO or almond oil.

How has your skin been reacting the past week?
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Hey Beach_bum Very Happy I would say it's definitely the Castor Oil - try skipping it for a few days and just use the other oil you're mixing it with. Wink

I know that one night during last week I used maybe a tiny bit too much of the Castor Oil and I woke up with my face all dry and tight and even a little bit peely so that night I skipped adding any Castor Oil and just used my oil blend (Olive, Sesame Seed, Macadamia) and this sorted my skin out - back to normal the next day - even though the word 'normal' and my skin just dont go in the same sentence together! Laughing
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Beach bum - I have dry & dehydrated skin & tried OCM a couple of times with different oil mixtures containing castor oil. It gave me pimples & i'm not one to get pimples ordinarily. I think the castor oil dried out my already dry skin too much & caused the pimples.
Lately i've simply been cleansing with macadamia oil & a face cloth. It's working surprisingly well. Removes eye makeup & is keeping blackheads under control very well! Smile And no pimples!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've always had oily skin (actually oily t-zone mostly, and normal/oily on the rest), and I use about 25% castor oil. So I would suggest to anyone with normal or dry skin to use a VERY small amount of castor oil!

I was pretty shocked to see my skin all flakey the first couple times I tried ocm with 50% castor. That rarely happens with my skin.

Beach_bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
My flakies are so bad right now from retin a that I HAVE to OCM tomorrow morning. I'm not using any castor oil. I think I'm using straight up olive oil. I just want all these flakes removed!

Can I use olive oil without any other oil? I think I've read that I can use anything I want. I also bought about 10 different oil samples from GOW so I can't wait to apply them afterwards Very Happy
ChansonD

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Quote:
I do it sometimes a billion hours at a time (as long as I can get some plugs to come off, and until I'm really forced to stop due to being late

This is exactly what I did! I think doing this for so long was counterproductive for me and was starting to do more harm than good. (I know it's so hard to stop when stuff just keeps coming out of your skin.) I would try to limit the time to 3 minutes. Using the right blemish serum helps to prevent those plugs and impurities so you don't have to spend an eternity massaging your skin. Also, for me, all the wiping off of the oils and makeup irritated my skin, even though I tried to do it as gently as possible.

The diluted acv toner is good, the Dr. H products are good also. I haven't used emu oil or Donell so I don't know about these. For me if something is irritating like the Retin A, I would stop using it and find an alternative that helped the problem without irritating.

Quote:
I've been trying to stop bombarding my skin

This is a very good, actually Great idea. As I mentioned to Stars1, simple, basic and gentle with something to kill the bacteria causing the acne (and clear away the dead skin cells) can be the best way to go.

Quote:
Now i'm basically always blotchy, there's always at least one red pimple on my face, and things honestly are awful!

I really feel your pain, but don't stress. Just know that your body knows how to heal itself and sometimes we just need to give it that little extra something or sometimes stop giving it so much. You also have an advantage since you've only had breakouts for a few years, your skin should be easier and quicker to heal than someone like me whose been battling acne for much more than a decade. If my skin can clear up then yours definitely can.

I hope this helps.

Please ask if you have other questions and I will do my best to help. Very Happy

Hi everyone
I'm new on this board and actually found it while researching face shaving. Reading through the posts is very interesting. I've had problems with skin care my whole life, which I thought was acne, but now realise was actually reactions to harsh and heavy skin care products.

One day, at my wit's end, I had a facial with a Lancome consultant. She advised me to stop using foaming cleansers, as they strip the skin of its natural oil. For years, the only cleansers I found that worked for me were in the high-end range (eg Lancome). Recently I discovered that Garnier make a cream cleanser that works well for me. Using cream cleansers eliminated my so-called acne. I think this is true for many people.

They think acne = dirt, so they wash, wash wash, thinking it will help. Not so! If you do suffer from acne, it is systemic and hormonal.

Over-massaging can also be a problem (stimulates sebum production), so in terms of the OCM, I would stick to recommended massage times. More does not necessarily = better. Another piece of good advice from the Lancome consultant. I suspect that, like me, many people with persistent problems actually have fine sensitive skins + oily t zone.

I agree with you that moisturisers should be light i.e. not contain lots of oil. However, I think that most people need to use one, as the with heating and air con, skin dries out, but many people think oily skin does not need moisturiser. I disagree.

I haven't tried OCM, but intend to give it a try, to clear some clogged pores. However, I bless that consultant everyday, because as long as I creme cleanse (I like to remove cleanser gently with a warm washer in the shower), and use a light moisturiser, I rarely get any "pimples".

PS I would be staying away from anything that contains citrus or peroxide. Simply too harsh on the skin. Like I said, I know the temptation is to disinfect the skin, but you are actually destroying the "acid mantle", which is the skin's natural protection from the elements.

Hope this helps someone out there

Chanson ;D
ChansonD

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Quote:
I do it sometimes a billion hours at a time (as long as I can get some plugs to come off, and until I'm really forced to stop due to being late

This is exactly what I did! I think doing this for so long was counterproductive for me and was starting to do more harm than good. (I know it's so hard to stop when stuff just keeps coming out of your skin.) I would try to limit the time to 3 minutes. Using the right blemish serum helps to prevent those plugs and impurities so you don't have to spend an eternity massaging your skin. Also, for me, all the wiping off of the oils and makeup irritated my skin, even though I tried to do it as gently as possible.

The diluted acv toner is good, the Dr. H products are good also. I haven't used emu oil or Donell so I don't know about these. For me if something is irritating like the Retin A, I would stop using it and find an alternative that helped the problem without irritating.

Quote:

This is a very good, actually Great idea. As I mentioned to Stars1, simple, basic and gentle with something to kill the bacteria causing the acne (and clear away the dead skin cells) can be the best way to go.

Quote:
Now i'm basically always blotchy, there's always at least one red pimple on my face, and things honestly are awful!

I really feel your pain, but don't stress. Just know that your body knows how to heal itself and sometimes we just need to give it that little extra something or sometimes stop giving it so much. You also have an advantage since you've only had breakouts for a few years, your skin should be easier and quicker to heal than someone like me whose been battling acne for much more than a decade. If my skin can clear up then yours definitely can.

I hope this helps.

Please ask if you have other questions and I will do my best to help. Very Happy

Hi everyone
I'm new on this board and actually found it while researching face shaving. Reading through the posts is very interesting. I've had problems with skin care my whole life, which I thought was acne, but now realise was actually reactions to harsh and heavy skin care products.

One day, at my wit's end, I had a facial with a Lancome consultant. She advised me to stop using foaming cleansers, as they strip the skin of its natural oil. For years, the only cleansers I found that worked for me were in the high-end range (eg Lancome). Recently I discovered that Garnier make a cream cleanser that works well for me. Using cream cleansers eliminated my so-called acne. I think this is true for many people.

They think acne = dirt, so they wash, wash wash, thinking it will help. Not so! If you do suffer from acne, it is systemic and hormonal.

Over-massaging can also be a problem (stimulates sebum production), so in terms of the OCM, I would stick to recommended massage times. More does not necessarily = better. Another piece of good advice from the Lancome consultant. I suspect that, like me, many people with persistent problems actually have fine sensitive skins + oily t zone.

I agree with you that moisturisers should be light i.e. not contain lots of oil. However, I think that most people need to use one, as the with heating and air con, skin dries out, but many people think oily skin does not need moisturiser. I disagree.

I haven't tried OCM, but intend to give it a try, to clear some clogged pores. However, I bless that consultant everyday, because as long as I creme cleanse (I like to remove cleanser gently with a warm washer in the shower), and use a light moisturiser, I rarely get any "pimples".

PS I would be staying away from anything that contains citrus or peroxide. Simply too harsh on the skin. Like I said, I know the temptation is to disinfect the skin, but you are actually destroying the "acid mantle", which is the skin's natural protection from the elements.

Chanson ;D
ChansonD

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone

Chanson ;D
ChansonD

cloe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone

Chanson ;D
ChansonD

cloe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone

Chanson ;D
ChansonD

cloe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone

Chanson ;D
ChansonD

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone

Chanson ;D
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |